Wilder Mistakes not Twice Hoping so.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ChipButtyBlade

Reaction score
Reports+suggest+Sheffield+United+manager+Chris+Wilder+will+stay+at+Bramall+Lane+despite+power+struggle+that+has+limited+ambition+of+the+Blades

CHRIS WILDER made a big error 12 months ago. But having lived with the consequences is he about to do so again?

Sketchy and unconfirmed reports suggest that Sheffield United's manager has at last received the assurances he sought from club owners Kevin McCabe and Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in order to proceed with his project for a third year at Bramall Lane. Apparently he is about to sign a new improved deal extending his and his close staffs' contracts to 2021.

That it took all but three weeks to the day for speculative news to break after Wilder issued a cry for help and challenged the Blades co-owners by revealing he was prepared to quit, says much about the way the club is run from a distance.

Wilder demanded that “there’s got to be big changes” if he were to commit his future at Bramall Lane. First and foremost the power struggle between Kevin McCabe and Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud for full control of the club needed to be resolved. Along with confirmation as to the future direction of the club and budget that would be made to available to him. The first part if that equation remains a long way off.

His earlier mistake was not establishing the ground rules to cement a realistic promotion bid from the off when United’s return to the Championship was confirmed.

Wilder’s achievement at the first time of asking to lead United back to the Championship after a six-year absence bringing together a broken club in a remarkable transformation on and off the pitch, put him in an exceptionally powerful position.

Instead he went along, albeit reluctantly and sometimes confusingly, with the financial reality that the owners were not prepared to back his ambition.

Effectively separating himself from his employers but also sending out a mixed message which with the benefit of hindsight appears to perfectly illustrate his conflicting mindset. That of loyalty to his employers but also the belief in his own vision and capabilities were not being matched by them.

“This is where the club is at and I get that. I’m an employee of the football club and I’ll do what I’m told,” he said on the eve of the Championship kick-off. “The ambitions lie with the owners and I’m not chucking anybody under the bus there. It’s obvious.”

He added: “We know we’re short on possibly two or three players, I’ve made that perfectly clear to the owners the we need to strengthen. The financial goalposts have definitely moved in this division.

“From my point of view and what people perceive of me I’ve tried to get the maximum out of the budget but I’m ambitious as well. I want to drive this club forward. I don’t want us just to hang about the division and struggle all season.

“Would I like the budgets of some of the other managers? Yes, absolutely. Then it’s up to me and the recruitment department to get the maximum out of that budget. That’s the key to success.”

Only a few weeks earlier Wilder had said almost the opposite in what could have been a pre-written script delivered from above. “Everyone talks about the financial aspect of the Championship and the gambles that clubs are taking. And they are gambles, I am in no doubt about that. We won’t do that, we can’t gamble this club’s future. Enough have paid the price for doing that, from Portsmouth to Leeds United and many, many others.”

So there you have it. Trust me with a budget to help me compete with the top clubs; but to do so represents a gamble it would be foolish to take and won’t be contemplated.

Twelve months on and Wilder has made it perfectly clear some of those sentiments no longer apply. He is not prepared to countenance another season of pulling rabbits out of hats and going close but not close enough because the quality needed to bridge that gap wasn’t there. “It doesn’t have to be a cheque for £40million,” he said after the final home match of the season. The inference being that £10-£15m would look a good deal more realistic than the £5.8m he had to work with in 2016-17.

After all if you want to play with the big boys it’s a sum that’s hardly going to break the bank. If that were not the case then United shouldn’t be talking about it in the first place and the Lane would be no place for an ambitious manager like Wilder.

You have been able to hear a pin drop at Bramall Lane ever since. Even Wilder, who has also put himself and his backroom staff in the shop window, refuses to elaborate further.

So, in the absence of any communication from the club, in itself an indictment of how not to treat a large and loyal fanbase which whilst all this is going on have just purchased 17,000 season tickets, what can we assume from the drip feed of unconfirmed info if reports are correct? What in practice does it all mean?

• A pledge that his role will not be diminished by the introduction of a director of football or any outside influence on recruitment policy.
  • The agreement of a significantly improved budget in order to sign higher quality players in key positions and substantially improve the current squad.
  • An offer of goodwill concerning personal financial security for himself and his staff if uncertainty over club ownership remains.
Wilder’s greatest concern is how his job is going to be interpreted moving forward. The appointment to the Board of Jan Van Winckel who holds a UEFA Pro coaching licence and is a close associate of Prince Abdullah has caused consternation. Van Winckel was technical director of the Saudi Arabian Football Federation when the Prince held the Saudi government position of General President of Youth Welfare. Van Winckel was previously assistant manager of Olympique de Marseille under former Argentina and Chile coach Marcelo Bielsa.

As well as being on United's Board, Van Winckel is sporting director of KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk
a Belgian second division club of which Prince Abdullah invested in February. Van Winckel is currently engaged in the selection of a successor to coach Marc Brys who has just moved to top flight Sint-Truiden.

An attempt by the Saudi royal to have the 44-year-old Belgian added to the inner sanctum of team affairs made up of Wilder, No2 Alan Knill, head of recruitment Paul Mitchell, academy chief Travis Binnion and head of administration Carl Shieber, was blocked by McCabe.

A suspicion remained, however, that under a Prince Abdullah led regime, a director of football type role might be created to primarily take lead on player recruitment, reducing the manager to a purely coaching brief

For Wilder the issue was greater than the sum of all his other concerns. Anything less than a complete assurance his role would not be infringed or that he would not have 100 per cent control of team affairs, including recruitment, was the red line. He would have quit immediately.

Money is an issue and it’s foolish to pretend otherwise. The season just gone backs up the long standing case for a budget that matches ambition. Wilder has already submitted his summer transfer targets to the owners with the likely costs involved. Presumably he has been given the go-ahead and the funds to get them. The manager has no interest in remaining at the Lane if it is merely to tread water.

Lastly, while uncertainty about the outcome of ownership remains and what that may mean after 2018-19, improved and extended contracts for him and his key staff is an act of goodwill and offers financial security should their be a change in the direction of travel from the top.

We have been led to believe that a new deal has been on offer for some time but clearly Wilder has no intention of signing unless other factors are resolved.

A meeting between Prince Abdullah and Kevin McCabe is said to have taken place earlier in the week days before news of it leaked out. No statement has been issued and Wilder himself has remained silent. The manager is maybe taking time to evaluate what he has been promised as well as possible other managerial options open to him.

The last thing McCabe and Prince Abdullah want at this point is for the club to be plunged into turmoil by the loss of a manager which would trigger a huge and possibly irreparable backlash from supporters. The owners are running scared on this one.

So under the circumstances if Wilder cannot secure the complete platform he wants it would be a major mistake to compromise and stay. The peril of managing a club you support.

Fans, of course, hold the opposite view. They are the ones who suffer the consequences of decisions beyond their control year in, year out. To them, losing Wilder is a retrograde step whatever compromises may have to be accepted.

It seems owners and manager are now very close. Until it's a done deal, however, the red and white half of Sheffield still holds its breath.

.... I'm of the opinion, it is not an episode of Scooby Doo ....

The title and then proceeding picture and accompanying title hurt my brain so I couldn’t read the paragraphs. Sorry. I might’ve lost a few IQ points.

Reports+suggest+Sheffield+United+manager+Chris+Wilder+will+stay+at+Bramall+Lane+despite+power+struggle+that+has+limited+ambition+of+the+Blades

CHRIS WILDER made a big error 12 months ago. But having lived with the consequences is he about to do so again?

Sketchy and unconfirmed reports suggest that Sheffield United's manager has at last received the assurances he sought from club owners Kevin McCabe and Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in order to proceed with his project for a third year at Bramall Lane. Apparently he is about to sign a new improved deal extending his and his close staffs' contracts to 2021.

That it took all but three weeks to the day for speculative news to break after Wilder issued a cry for help and challenged the Blades co-owners by revealing he was prepared to quit, says much about the way the club is run from a distance.

Wilder demanded that “there’s got to be big changes” if he were to commit his future at Bramall Lane. First and foremost the power struggle between Kevin McCabe and Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud for full control of the club needed to be resolved. Along with confirmation as to the future direction of the club and budget that would be made to available to him. The first part if that equation remains a long way off.

His earlier mistake was not establishing the ground rules to cement a realistic promotion bid from the off when United’s return to the Championship was confirmed.

Wilder’s achievement at the first time of asking to lead United back to the Championship after a six-year absence bringing together a broken club in a remarkable transformation on and off the pitch, put him in an exceptionally powerful position.

Instead he went along, albeit reluctantly and sometimes confusingly, with the financial reality that the owners were not prepared to back his ambition.

Effectively separating himself from his employers but also sending out a mixed message which with the benefit of hindsight appears to perfectly illustrate his conflicting mindset. That of loyalty to his employers but also the belief in his own vision and capabilities were not being matched by them.

“This is where the club is at and I get that. I’m an employee of the football club and I’ll do what I’m told,” he said on the eve of the Championship kick-off. “The ambitions lie with the owners and I’m not chucking anybody under the bus there. It’s obvious.”

He added: “We know we’re short on possibly two or three players, I’ve made that perfectly clear to the owners the we need to strengthen. The financial goalposts have definitely moved in this division.

“From my point of view and what people perceive of me I’ve tried to get the maximum out of the budget but I’m ambitious as well. I want to drive this club forward. I don’t want us just to hang about the division and struggle all season.

“Would I like the budgets of some of the other managers? Yes, absolutely. Then it’s up to me and the recruitment department to get the maximum out of that budget. That’s the key to success.”

Only a few weeks earlier Wilder had said almost the opposite in what could have been a pre-written script delivered from above. “Everyone talks about the financial aspect of the Championship and the gambles that clubs are taking. And they are gambles, I am in no doubt about that. We won’t do that, we can’t gamble this club’s future. Enough have paid the price for doing that, from Portsmouth to Leeds United and many, many others.”

So there you have it. Trust me with a budget to help me compete with the top clubs; but to do so represents a gamble it would be foolish to take and won’t be contemplated.

Twelve months on and Wilder has made it perfectly clear some of those sentiments no longer apply. He is not prepared to countenance another season of pulling rabbits out of hats and going close but not close enough because the quality needed to bridge that gap wasn’t there. “It doesn’t have to be a cheque for £40million,” he said after the final home match of the season. The inference being that £10-£15m would look a good deal more realistic than the £5.8m he had to work with in 2016-17.

After all if you want to play with the big boys it’s a sum that’s hardly going to break the bank. If that were not the case then United shouldn’t be talking about it in the first place and the Lane would be no place for an ambitious manager like Wilder.

You have been able to hear a pin drop at Bramall Lane ever since. Even Wilder, who has also put himself and his backroom staff in the shop window, refuses to elaborate further.

So, in the absence of any communication from the club, in itself an indictment of how not to treat a large and loyal fanbase which whilst all this is going on have just purchased 17,000 season tickets, what can we assume from the drip feed of unconfirmed info if reports are correct? What in practice does it all mean?

• A pledge that his role will not be diminished by the introduction of a director of football or any outside influence on recruitment policy.
  • The agreement of a significantly improved budget in order to sign higher quality players in key positions and substantially improve the current squad.
  • An offer of goodwill concerning personal financial security for himself and his staff if uncertainty over club ownership remains.
Wilder’s greatest concern is how his job is going to be interpreted moving forward. The appointment to the Board of Jan Van Winckel who holds a UEFA Pro coaching licence and is a close associate of Prince Abdullah has caused consternation. Van Winckel was technical director of the Saudi Arabian Football Federation when the Prince held the Saudi government position of General President of Youth Welfare. Van Winckel was previously assistant manager of Olympique de Marseille under former Argentina and Chile coach Marcelo Bielsa.

As well as being on United's Board, Van Winckel is sporting director of KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk
a Belgian second division club of which Prince Abdullah invested in February. Van Winckel is currently engaged in the selection of a successor to coach Marc Brys who has just moved to top flight Sint-Truiden.

An attempt by the Saudi royal to have the 44-year-old Belgian added to the inner sanctum of team affairs made up of Wilder, No2 Alan Knill, head of recruitment Paul Mitchell, academy chief Travis Binnion and head of administration Carl Shieber, was blocked by McCabe.

A suspicion remained, however, that under a Prince Abdullah led regime, a director of football type role might be created to primarily take lead on player recruitment, reducing the manager to a purely coaching brief

For Wilder the issue was greater than the sum of all his other concerns. Anything less than a complete assurance his role would not be infringed or that he would not have 100 per cent control of team affairs, including recruitment, was the red line. He would have quit immediately.

Money is an issue and it’s foolish to pretend otherwise. The season just gone backs up the long standing case for a budget that matches ambition. Wilder has already submitted his summer transfer targets to the owners with the likely costs involved. Presumably he has been given the go-ahead and the funds to get them. The manager has no interest in remaining at the Lane if it is merely to tread water.

Lastly, while uncertainty about the outcome of ownership remains and what that may mean after 2018-19, improved and extended contracts for him and his key staff is an act of goodwill and offers financial security should their be a change in the direction of travel from the top.

We have been led to believe that a new deal has been on offer for some time but clearly Wilder has no intention of signing unless other factors are resolved.

A meeting between Prince Abdullah and Kevin McCabe is said to have taken place earlier in the week days before news of it leaked out. No statement has been issued and Wilder himself has remained silent. The manager is maybe taking time to evaluate what he has been promised as well as possible other managerial options open to him.

The last thing McCabe and Prince Abdullah want at this point is for the club to be plunged into turmoil by the loss of a manager which would trigger a huge and possibly irreparable backlash from supporters. The owners are running scared on this one.

So under the circumstances if Wilder cannot secure the complete platform he wants it would be a major mistake to compromise and stay. The peril of managing a club you support.

Fans, of course, hold the opposite view. They are the ones who suffer the consequences of decisions beyond their control year in, year out. To them, losing Wilder is a retrograde step whatever compromises may have to be accepted.

It seems owners and manager are now very close. Until it's a done deal, however, the red and white half of Sheffield still holds its breath.

12433210.jpg

What was it about?

I’ve only just recovered from yesterday’s excitement

So what was the mistake he made then ?

The sub header reads, with a little bit of addition from me,

For his sake, if not for (those) fans (who are) happy to see Blades boss stay at any price.

Fair enough article actually.

So how much has he been given to spend? To challenge for automatic promotion would be a lot.

I'm confused. Not difficult.

Is this a copy of an article from somewhere?
It looks like an article from “View from the John Street” but reads like “View from the top deck of a passing bus”.

Very strange! That guy Osborne is usually very good imo.

It looks like an article from “View from the John Street” but reads like “View from the top deck of a passing bus”.

Very strange! That guy Osborne is usually very good imo.

Nothing that hasn't been discussed on here before.

What happened to his source telling him Wilder had "crossed a line" with the Prince. Are they all pally again?
Usual thinly veiled dig at the club parcelled up as news, when it's anything but.

In competition with Biggs it would seem.

I remember when North sea oil/gas was discovered we were told that our gas would be free.

Talking bollocks is easy.

Many fall for it.

Back
Top Bottom