Wilder leaving would set the club back years......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is all Ifs and maybes, like me you have absolutely no idea what or who we have been looking at in Europe how do you know we haven’t tried to bring players in from Europe. What is they don’t want to come to us or still asking for silly money. If we brought a player in from a lower league Spanish club and he didn’t play well the same people would be saying why have we brought in an unknown from Europe.
Do you not think more established premier league teams with a scouting network that’s second to none are also looking for these gems? Why are they not bringing these players in from all over Europe that nobody has heard of?
Look at established European players already here most don’t hit the ground running anyway.
I’d agree it’s both because I don’t think the two can be separated. The club would need to have in place a large network of scouts across the continent which we don’t. The manager would also have to trust the judgment of those scouts and be confident they evaluate players in the same way that he does and that takes time.
It’s another reason why all those years in league one have hurt us when we couldn’t afford to maintain any infrastructure really it takes a long time to build those networks and that trust.

It was not necessary to have a huge network of scouts. I already mentioned that Leeds, for example, brought in Victor Orta who had his own network. Even someone experienced as a manager of DoF in Spain or France would know someone. FFS, even I do, because I watch Spanish football every week.

However, looking at it the other way round, Burnley have a similar squad profile to ourselves and practically always sign British players. I don't especially like watching Burnley but they have been effective.

Look at Burnley's forward options: Wood, Barnes, Rodriguez and Vydra. That's no better than what we've got. Had we signed any of those everyone would simply decry us signing Championship-quality strikers.

It is clear that Wilder has let himself down with piss poor recruitment. This is how last season should have played out, not this season where he was given loads of money to improve the squad.

This side should have been relegated last season so I don't mind sticking with Wilder and give him another go in the Championship, as he is a brilliant manager.

That being said, there must be some kind of improvement very soon. How long can you stick with a a manager that lose week in and week out? I say a win is needed over these two coming fixtures.

It was not necessary to have a huge network of scouts. I already mentioned that Leeds, for example, brought in Victor Orta who had his own network. Even someone experienced as a manager of DoF in Spain or France would know someone. FFS, even I do, because I watch Spanish football every week.

However, looking at it the other way round, Burnley have a similar squad profile to ourselves and practically always sign British players. I don't especially like watching Burnley but they have been effective.

Look at Burnley's forward options: Wood, Barnes, Rodriguez and Vydra. That's no better than what we've got. Had we signed any of those everyone would simply decry us signing Championship-quality strikers.
You’re correct a way to acquire a network very quickly is to bringing an individual in a recruitment capacity who brings with them all their own contacts. However there’s lots of examples of that going badly as well as going well at the top table that’s what arsenal have done to disastrous effect and Wednesday the same lower down.

Your example of Burnley is pertinent as there’s a reason the club cites them as an example a lot they didn’t have massive funds from ownership but used them prem money to build their infrastructure and state of the art academy. They also built the core that’s brought them such success recently in the season they dropped to the championship.

I think people are overestimating the quality of the championship and underestimating the gap in quality between the championship and the Premier league. Players like Norwood etc is 1 of the best championship midfielders, McBurnie als. we have a squad geared towards a championship promotion. If/when we go down, with CW as manager I would have a bet with anyone that we would be in the promotion chase.

Wood, Barnes and Rodriguez have all scored nearly 40 PL goals. Barnes scored as many as our leading scorer last season (in only 19 games) and the other 2 scored more. They are all far superior to all of our forwards.

Wilder stays for the rest of the season regardless, and all of next to.

He's got a terrific young set of forwards for the level below.....
Miles better than what was there last time in Mcgoldrick/Sharp.
On paper but games are not won on paper . Brewster looks shocking.

We could always ring them up and offer our six for their four and see how that goes?

Lots of people are worried about breaking Derby’s record. In fairness it was their first season and there was internal turmoil. Here’s a good article on it which makes depressing reading for us but shows the risks of getting rid as well persevering.

Some of the comments on here are ridiculous regarding wilders recruitment, it’s even funnier how some are legitimately trying to defend a transfer policy that seems on paper to old school. Now, in all honesty the club is making progress to try and is more analytics but we are still behind the rest. Our current philosophy:
  1. Demonstrates paying high fees for players from the championship.
  2. Flirts with players for two or three transfer windows hoping they continue to improve during that time.
  3. Weighed heavily on whether the manger likes their character (same at most clubs tbf).
  4. Home nation centric, naturally reducing the pool of quality players.
  5. Small scouting network because “we like to approach it differently to other clubs”. Yeah ok.
  6. Is trying to expand our scouting knowledge but is cautious about buying foreign due to this.
A post earlier suggested that most clubs in this division buy players for 18 million and put them on bench, in what was an attempt to suggest we don’t have the money to compete. This simply isn’t the case. Let’s take the net spend of the clubs we would like to be competing with in comparison.

Sheffield United - 56.4 Million

West Brom - 36.4 Million
Newcastle - 34.8 Million
Fulham - 33.5 Million
Brighton - 21.15 Million
Crystal Palace - 17.01 Million
Burnley - 990k

We have spent a lot more than the modern day bottom half clubs, we also spent more on players than Leicester, West ham and Southampton in the summer. A lack of bang for our buck, because of our narrow minded transfer policies and tactical in flexibility has left us with all our eggs in one basket. Which in hindsight is a error of judgement on whoever is making the decision at our club.

Last edited:
But how much does our spending compare to these clubs over 3-5 years? You can’t just say we spent more money than these clubs when they have spent money over the last few years while we have spent next to nothing.

You have absolutely no idea what players Chris will have wanted or asked for. We were in for Callum Wilson why do you think we didn’t get him?

Any half decent championship player now costs that type of money unfortunately that’s the era we are living in. The basic fact is we have a wage structure and quite rightly don’t want to break that structure. So we lose our to players when clubs offer much more money.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but for those posters who've called for Wilder to be replaced, I'd like to know who they'd consider as realistic replacements?

And please make your suggestions realistic ones, not a manager that has won the Champions League several times over a decade.

I would have saved £18m by not buying a young, rabbit-in-the-headlights goalkeeper, signed someone like Carson or equivalent on the cheap and put the rest towards getting Brookes back instead. How much would Norwich have wanted for Pukki? Someone who instinctively knows where the net is and has done it at Premier league level? Probably a lot less than we spunked on the 2020 version of Ben Woodburn from Liverpool reserves. We desperately needed a centre half so why go out and buy two young 'for da foo-cha' full backs, to help us get back up 'in da foo-cha' instead? Surely it's best to plan not to get relegated in the first place, rather than build a side to try and get us back up again 'in da foo-cha'?

Sadly, after listening to Wilders post match interview last night, I feel that I have moved into the Wilder out camp. Just blaming the players for not being good enough and refusing to take any blame was pathetic. He looks and sounds like most of us feel. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but it seems obvious that all is not well.
I gave up on this season after the West brom game but I seriously doubt that wilder can turn this around without a major overhaul of the squad.

When we first hit trouble I thought it straightforward that we back Chris and stick with him even if we end up back in the Championship. After all Burnley benefited hugely by sticking by Dyche despite relegation.

This season's record breaking run though has been soul destroying. And, as a fan, probably more so for CW than the rest of us.

But we're now in such a hole that I can't think of anyone else who can dig us out of it anyway.

I think we still stick by CW for next season in the Championship but then give it until late autumn 2021 to see whether the CWAK partnership can turn things round.

He signed moussett who provided the goals for a great start.
He has gone well off the boil.
McBurnie and Robinson signed. McBurnie is the worst out of the two and guess who we kept.
LukeFreeman signed. Great all round player with recognised work rate but more important skilful and creative. NOT GIVEN A CHANCE.

Moussett we have been very unlucky with the way it’s gone with him

The rest shows Wilder is no premier league manager. He will be great in the Championship for sure.

Some of the comments on here are ridiculous regarding wilders recruitment, it’s even funnier how some are legitimately trying to defend a transfer policy that seems on paper to old school. Now, in all honesty the club is making progress to try and is more analytics but we are still behind the rest. Our current philosophy:
  1. Demonstrates paying high fees for players from the championship.
  2. Flirts with players for two or three transfer windows hoping they continue to improve during that time.
  3. Weighed heavily on whether the manger likes their character (same at most clubs tbf).
  4. Home nation centric, naturally reducing the pool of quality players.
  5. Small scouting network because “we like to approach it differently to other clubs”. Yeah ok.
  6. Is trying to expand our scouting knowledge but is cautious about buying foreign due to this.
A post earlier suggested that most clubs in this division buy players for 18 million and put them on bench, in what was an attempt to suggest we don’t have the money to compete. This simply isn’t the case. Let’s take the net spend of the clubs we would like to be competing with in comparison.

Sheffield United - 56.4 Million

West Brom - 36.4 Million
Newcastle - 34.8 Million
Fulham - 33.5 Million
Brighton - 21.15 Million
Crystal Palace - 17.01 Million
Burnley - 990k

We have spent a lot more than the modern day bottom half clubs, we also spent more on players than Leicester, West ham and Southampton in the summer. A lack of bang for our buck, because of our narrow minded transfer policies and tactical in flexibility has left us with all our eggs in one basket. Which in hindsight is a error of judgement on whoever is making the decision at our club.
I agree completely RE how you see the limitations of the club but as you say we’re taking tentative steps to try and remedy them the success or failure of those steps will ultimately be borne out of the coming years not the coming months.

However I’d counter your points regarding the other bottom third clubs spending as I’d say they started from a higher baseline than us and were trying to replace fewer players in one go than us and therefore had to spend less in that time period. Some of those teams noticeably palace have ageing groups that need replacing so I’d expect that number to jump soon or they’ll drop. Also all those clubs other than Burnley and have academy players which are either playing significant minutes or they have sold for large fees recently. Thus they have reduced net spend through transfer dealings or not having to sign players as they have produced the players to fill gaps. We sold our youngsters cheap to survive lower down the pyramid and the current crop is a couple of years away from making an impact and that’s a best case scenario. I’ve said it higher up the thread but the speed with which we rose through the divisions effectively meant we were trying to build the foundations and the walls of the house at the same time and unfortunately it seems like that might have collapsed.

Some people on here would keep Wilder if we were bottom of League 2. It's pathetic. His post match interviews are an embarrassment. If HRH intends to keep him long-term then God help our football club. We need a complete overhaul of management and players. Sick of hearing sentimental claptrap on here.
Were you here after Warnock was sacked?
Theres a long way to fall before we allow Wilder to slip through our fingers! He's already proven in the Championship with a mid table finish and a promotion. Its utter stupidity to even consider losing him unless we look like being relegated from the Champ at the turn of the year next season. Theres far too many with short memories on here banging the get rid of Wilder drum. Pigs would laugh their snouts off if we lost the guy whos caused them so much anguish for the last 4 years!
Obviosly its hard to defend this season's points tally but there are very extenuating circumstances.

Not trying to be biased about money spent. Maybe a fairer comparison would be to look at the money we have spent during our two seasons in premier league in comparison to others. It works both ways as Robboblade1889 says, it would be unfair to judge the spending of Fulham, West Brom and Leeds last season in comparison to ours because you wouldnt expect a championship side to spend more. So omitting these teams over two seasons -

Sheffield United - 120.7 Million.
Newcastle - 99.3 Million.
Brighton - 88.6 Million.
Crystal Palace - 23.85 Million.
Burnley - 22.5 Million.

Couple of good points by Yogi many of the teams listed above have had the benefit of building a premier league baseline better than what we had when we came up and better youth prospects. The obvious counter arguments to these is that we finished above many of the teams mentioned so did we have a team (baseline) of equally able players or was it a season of lucky breaks? and that teams like Fulham and West Brom are currently outperforming us point wise, despite us spending more money (this could change In January) and them recently coming up.

Secondly Our rise through the leagues was exceptional. How long does it take to build up internal infrastructures conducive for long term premier league survival? Do we have to try and be a bit of a Yo-Yo club until these are place? Have Chris and the board accepted this fate, hence the support despite the results? More questions than answers but when your spending 97.5 million more than a team currently 11 points in front of you with a game in hand its only fair questions are asked about our recruitment strategy, because financially wilder has been backed. But I suppose this is why we are currently trying to play catch up Scouting wise.

Not a wilder out post, just what do we think has gone wrong one.

Not trying to be biased about money spent. Maybe a fairer comparison would be to look at the money we have spent during our two seasons in premier league in comparison to others. It works both ways as Robboblade1889 says, it would be unfair to judge the spending of Fulham, West Brom and Leeds last season in comparison to ours because you wouldnt expect a championship side to spend more. So omitting these teams over two seasons -

Sheffield United - 120.7 Million.
Newcastle - 99.3 Million.
Brighton - 88.6 Million.
Crystal Palace - 23.85 Million.
Burnley - 22.5 Million.

Couple of good points by Yogi many of the teams listed above have had the benefit of building a premier league baseline better than what we had when we came up and better youth prospects. The obvious counter arguments to these is that we finished above many of the teams mentioned so did we have a team (baseline) of equally able players or was it a season of lucky breaks? and that teams like Fulham and West Brom are currently outperforming us point wise, despite us spending more money (this could change In January) and them recently coming up.

Secondly Our rise through the leagues was exceptional. How long does it take to build up internal infrastructures conducive for long term premier league survival? Do we have to try and be a bit of a Yo-Yo club until these are place? Have Chris and the board accepted this fate, hence the support despite the results? More questions than answers but when your spending 97.5 million more than a team currently 11 points in front of you with a game in hand its only fair questions are asked about our recruitment strategy, because financially wilder has been backed. But I suppose this is why we are currently trying to play catch up Scouting wise.

Not a wilder out post, just what do we think has gone wrong one.
To answer your point regarding the groups performance last year compared to this and what is their baseline imo last year we played above our baseline probably due to a bit of a positive feedback loop at the club players and staff feeding off fans and vice versa building each other up over the course of wilders tenure. I bet those players felt invincible last year mentality is such a nebulous thing but a rising tide raises all ships and players standards were certainly exceptional last year. As to what our baseline is this year I think it’s higher than we are currently ( a few games could easily have gone the other way but still probably bottom 3.

The reason for this feeds into my point about how long does it take to establish a premier league baseline in an ideal circumstance when everything is going well on the pitch 2-3 years and I think the hope was that the promotion group would maintain roughly the same levels for another year or two allowing us to establish another younger core in that time frame to gradually replace them. But the group has pretty much fallen apart at the same time throwing us into chaos atm. Off the pitch if we started right now it would probably take 4-6 years to have a category 1 academy producing first team players on a semi regular basis and poaching other promising youngsters from around the country.

Ultimately with circumstances as they are now we need to aim to be a yo-yo club over that time period and have a situation like a Norwich off the pitch where the academy becomes something of a conveyor belt to make up for our financial short comings.

Disagree.

Nobody in this squad is good enough to be 'poached' away.....Unless selling to other Championship clubs.

McBurnie/Brewster/Burke is already more quality up top than the last season at that level.
We’ve have no right to be rotating our squad in such rarified company. Nobody has really been given a chance to settle into any sort of form.

Wit. Wit. Wit.
He's not the happy.
He's on the Vital Crew.
Non League Nigel.

We’ve played some of the worst football this season I’ve ever seen us play and just in recent years that includes football under Weir, Adkins, Morgan, Clough, D.Wilson, Micky Adam’s, Blackwell.

No manager in the football league not only gets away with not winning a game in 19 matches but also managing a team that’s scored 10 goals in 19 games.

It’s pathetic, any other manager goes.

I find it bemusing that Wilder is decrying the players for a lack of quality, but in a managerial sense he is also performing at a League 1 level. Tactical inflexibility, square pegs in round holes, no plan B, poor recruitment from a misguidedly deliberate narrow pool, player favouritism, stubborn to a fault, terrible post-match interviews (god, those interviews), inability to ever change a game in real-time, in fact his substitutions more often then not cost us points. If he was my gaffer, I’m not sure I would take too kindly to him picking holes in my performance levels at the moment

Mourinho and Ranieri both sacked by their clubs the season after winning the league.

Wilder receives invincibility from the owner and half the fans despite not winning in 19 games and being 11 points behind 4th bottom after on 15 games.

To understand United you have to take a wide ranging holistic approach starting from at least our first season in the Championship. Personally I'd start in league one when we sold our three biggest assets Adams, Ramsdale, and Calvert Lewin to fund our squad rebuild - after a dozen of Clough's squad were mercifully released. We didn't invest significantly in players, but got promoted regardless. Unfortunately the young players never developed with us which is still haunting us now as clearly they had Premier League potential..
In the Championship we had two years of under investment but got promoted regardless. Unfortunately we sold another top class young player in Brooks to fund what amounted to a tiny investment at Championship level compared to our rivals. The only exception was Egan at 3.5 million. The lack of investment and failure to keep hold of all of our top players was always going to bite eventually.
We get to the Prem and are extremely long odds to stay up. United's recruitment over the first year is essentially young players with the aim of bouncing straight back up within the two parachute payment seasons; and then, the following season, similar young players with the target of bouncing back within the unprecedented three parachute payment years if/when we eventually go down. United keep a strict hold over the wage bill which limits our market, but means the club has a good average age to bounce back, and the wage bill under strict control compared to other clubs. Our budget is essentially 50/50 of the TV money on wages/transfers. Other clubs are spending 50% of our total outlay on top of that outlay just to be competitive. People who think we are are competitive on our total outlay are deluded.

If we go down are we stronger than our last season in the Championship?

Yes
  • Key injuries to JOC/Berge should be cleared up.
  • Young talented squad already in situ to help us regain promotion or bring in revenue to wheel and deal.
  • Three years parachute payments valued at a total of circa 90m over the next three years. Around half paid next season.
  • Management team that wheeled and dealed to brilliant effect outside the Premier League still in situ.
  • Management team with an unbelievable record in the football league still in situ.
  • Several excellent looking academy prospects close to breaking through.
  • Club has constantly made it clear that if we drop wage drops will insulate us.
  • The prospect of fans back at the Lane.
  • Completion of training ground buildings.

No
  • We could experience a hangover that other relegated clubs haven't.
  • The management could leave/be sacked and another Robson come in.
  • Players might not be as attractive to potential buyers.

Contrary to popular opinion these are optimistic times for the club. The club is in an extremely powerful position compared to almost all of the last 40-50 years. Staying up last season has benefited the club in turns of squad turnover, and another year's parachute payments.

Last edited:
Some people on here would keep Wilder if we were bottom of League 2.
You are talking bullshit! Of course there is no one in here that would keep Wilder even if we drop down to League 1. Name them and provide proof that they said it! Stop telling lies in here!

To understand United you have to take a wide ranging holistic approach starting from at least our first season in the Championship. Personally I'd start in league one when we sold our three biggest assets Adams, Ramsdale, and Calvert Lewin to fund our squad rebuild - after a dozen of Clough's squad were mercifully released. We didn't invest significantly in players, but got promoted regardless. Unfortunately the young players never developed with us which is still haunting us now as clearly they had Premier League potential..
In the Championship we had two years of under investment but got promoted regardless. Unfortunately we sold another top class young player in Brooks to fund what amounted to a tiny investment at Championship level compared to our rivals. The only exception was Egan at 3.5 million. The lack of investment and failure to keep hold of all of our top players was always going to bite eventually.
We get to the Prem and are extremely long odds to stay up. United's recruitment over the first year is essentially young players with the aim of bouncing straight back up within the two parachute payment seasons; and then, the following season, similar young players with the target of bouncing back within the unprecedented three parachute payment years if/when we eventually go down. United keep a strict hold over the wage bill which limits our market, but means the club has a good average age to bounce back, and the wage bill under strict control compared to other clubs. Our budget is essentially 50/50 of the TV money on wages/transfers. Other clubs are spending 50% of our total outlay on top of that outlay just to be competitive. People who think we are are competitive on our total outlay are deluded.

Yes
  • Young talented squad already in situ to help us regain promotion or bring in revenue to wheel and deal.
  • Three years parachute payments valued at a total of circa 90m over the next three years. Around half paid next season.
  • Management team that wheeled and dealed to brilliant effect outside the Premier League still in situ.
  • Management team with an unbelievable record in the football league still in situ.
  • Club has constantly made it clear that if we drop wage drops will insulate us.

No

Contrary to popular opinion these are optimistic times for the club. The club is in an extremely powerful position compared to almost all of the last 40-50 years. Staying up last season has benefited the club in turns of squad turnover, and another year's parachute payments.
Great post obviously there are a range of outcomes if we drop but imo the chances of a positive one are great than a negative one.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but for those posters who've called for Wilder to be replaced, I'd like to know who they'd consider as realistic replacements?

Yes

No

I understand your argument, and I agree with some of it, but the idea that these are optimistic times for the club stands up to no serious scrutiny. This season is an unmitigated disaster. Recruitment has been awful, many players have taken a step back, some tactical decisions and personnel decisions are - for the first time under Wilder - baffling, and we have a team that is on track to be the worst ever in its division in the entire history of the PL and football league.

I watch the games. I am not optimistic. It is miserable and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. We are going to lose to Burnley and this dreary saga will continue as this bunch of losers write themselves into the record books. The man who brought us here has lost his touch this season.

and as for bouncing back, in a years’ time we will be hearing there’s no money and we will be in the bottom half of the Championship unless Wilder bucks his ideas up. The idea that this puny squad could come straight back up is laughable.

and spare me this recruitment of young players. Are they supposed to have resale value? None of these summers signings would go at a profit now. We signed nobody with PL experience except someone from a relegated team, and completely ignored the cheaper European market and made Championship overpays. That’s parochialism in action, not shrewd business.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom