Wilder’s Recruitment Policy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BushBlade

Bullshit, Lies And Deceit Every Season
Reaction score
The main reason we have been so successful under Wilder is his recruitment. He’s used, for want of a better description, a type of ‘moneyball’. He’s looked for players who are undervalued by their clubs and players approaching the end of their contracts. He doesn’t go for ‘big names’.

So please bear this in mind when posting suggestions. It’s unlikely he’s going to change from this approach, we won’t be signing players for £20m or players on £80k+ a week, so unless you think shithousing fellow Blades is amusing or you don’t care about looking like you know nowt about football, I’d suggest putting a little bit of thought into your player suggestions.

And please don't lazily use this section as a dumping ground for any fleeting thought you have about player recruitment because I can almost guarantee you the name will already have been mentioned (probably with its own thread) or will be a terrible shout due to being unrealistic or garbage.

Far too sensible.

We ought to be running a poster suggestion for those fans up in arms when we haven’t bought Maupay and others with fees over £10m. You know the ones...ranting and raving blaming the board, complaining of a lack of ambition rather than accepting the way it is.

I will start...the obvious one, Ricky.

I also love it that nobody has a clue who’s coming till they’re in the car park arriving for the photos after they’ve signed up at the academy.

Not like the Warnock days when he went public and took the players value up.. or the player went elsewhere after we alerted our rivals that we rated them..

Far too sensible.

We ought to be running a poster suggestion for those fans up in arms when we haven’t bought Maupay and others with fees over £10m. You know the ones...ranting and raving blaming the board, complaining of a lack of ambition rather than accepting the way it is.

I will start...the obvious one, Ricky.

You are ignorant.

Here is a question that doesn't need it's own thread, what does Wilder take into account when he says 'value for money'?

It's easy to assume he means 'cheap' but I always saw it as - young with potential to have a sell on value.

My dad pointed out to me last week though that an older player is still worth the gamble and could still be classed as value if he kept us up next season.
I don't like this notion that we need premiership experience, a lot of our league 1 boys did perfectly well this year without previous championship experience but an older goal scorer (with the right attitude) wouldn't be a bad thing.

I will be honest, we were discussing Fernando Forestieri and at 29, with a shit attitude, and having never scored more than 15 goals in the lower divisions, there's no way I'd class a £10million + offer for a player like him as value for money.

You are ignorant.

That may be, I may also be a bit opinionated and head strong.
However I won’t be ranting and raving, claiming I’m some kind of recruitment and player scouting guru, then having a hissy fit when the club doesn’t do what you said they should have.
There will be some who do.
For example...when Maupay goes to Burnley, Brighton or West Ham or somewhere similar for £15m there will be fans on here who think we’ve missed a trick and ranting accordingly!
When the reality is that he was just too expensive for our club at the moment.

Ive saying to utd fans i know when discussing the summer. our transfer record is still James Beattie at 4m then egan, Mother Theresa, sorry stupid auto correct i meant Evans & Claude Davis. we arent going to spend 15m on 1 man. also i refound something from 16/17 when i was comparing us to Newcastle & Villa. said that we had spent £50m in transfers in previous 30 years

That may be, I may also be a bit opinionated and head strong.
However I won’t be ranting and raving, claiming I’m some kind of recruitment and player scouting guru, then having a hissy fit when the club doesn’t do what you said they should have.
There will be some who do.
For example...when Maupay goes to Burnley, Brighton or West Ham or somewhere similar for £15m there will be fans on here who think we’ve missed a trick and ranting accordingly!
When the reality is that he was just too expensive for our club at the moment.

I'm the last one suggesting we spend silly money on anybody. You've lazily assumed otherwise simply because I'm one of the most active posters here. You've even used Maupay as an example when I'm one of the most opposed to spending silly money on him.
Nor do I 'claim' to be any sort of guru, and if things like suggesting suitable reinvestment of the Brooks money qualify as 'hissy fit' so be it, it beats sitting on the fence. Not that stuff posted on here counts for anything anyway.

The main reason we have been so successful under Wilder is his recruitment. He’s used, for want of a better description, a type of ‘moneyball’. He’s looked for players who are undervalued by their clubs and players approaching the end of their contracts. He doesn’t go for ‘big names’.

So please bear this in mind when posting suggestions. It’s unlikely he’s going to change from this approach, we won’t be signing players for £20m or players on £80k+ a week, so unless you think shithousing fellow Blades is amusing or you don’t care about looking like you know nowt about football, I’d suggest putting a little bit of thought into your player suggestions.
Lionel Messi

Here is a question that doesn't need it's own thread, what does Wilder take into account when he says 'value for money'?

It's easy to assume he means 'cheap' but I always saw it as - young with potential to have a sell on value.

My dad pointed out to me last week though that an older player is still worth the gamble and could still be classed as value if he kept us up next season.
I don't like this notion that we need premiership experience, a lot of our league 1 boys did perfectly well this year without previous championship experience but an older goal scorer (with the right attitude) wouldn't be a bad thing.

I will be honest, we were discussing Fernando Forestieri and at 29, with a shit attitude, and having never scored more than 15 goals in the lower divisions, there's no way I'd class a £10million + offer for a player like him as value for money.
I tend to agree with your dad. Think ‘Jake Wright’. Value for money? Absolutely and he’ll have no resale value. It’s important to bring in some younger players with potential but that has to be mixed with more experienced players, to give us the best chance of staying up. Not many, just a couple of solid pros with good attitudes.

Good post, and I agree with most of it.

I think we have to be careful not to imply or assume that being broke is part of Wilder's transfer policy. What I mean is, Wilder has been working under certain constraints since he arrived at the club. He's done an absolutely extraordinary job under the circumstances. He's still under certain constraints now, of course, but they are lesser or just different. We can't be totally sure what his policy will look like when he has a bit more money to spend.

Some people have suggested that Wilder is opposed on principle to spending big money on this or that player. I'm not sure that's true--we'll have to wait and see.

I think we have to be careful not to imply or assume that being broke is part of Wilder's transfer policy. What I mean is, Wilder has been working under certain constraints since he arrived at the club. He's done an absolutely extraordinary job under the circumstances. He's still under certain constraints now, of course, but they are lesser or just different. We can't be totally sure what his policy will look like when he has a bit more money to spend.

Some people have suggested that Wilder is opposed on principle to spending big money on this or that player. I'm not sure that's true--we'll have to wait and see.
Yes, and I think the Egan transfer proves your point to a degree.

A record fee for an area where we'd bought in a high-profile (at the time) signing only the previous summer in Stearman. For me that showed Wilder is willing to invest good sums of money when he think the player is worth it.

When you consider that the lowest PL wage bills in 2017/8 were circa £60m and our income next season will be circa £120m, it’s fairly apparent that we won’t be spending half our transfer budget on one player, or that a player of that value is very unlikely to actually want to join a newly promoted club.

When you consider that the lowest PL wage bills in 2017/8 were circa £60m and our income next season will be circa £120m, it’s fairly apparent that we won’t be spending half our transfer budget on one player, or that a player of that value is very unlikely to actually want to join a newly promoted club.

No disagreement there. But again, that's more about constraints and less about Wilder's policy..

No disagreement there. But again, that's more about constraints and less about Wilder's policy..
I agree but his policy has to fit the constraints of the job. Which it does. That sounds like common sense and nothing more but there are managers that just don’t seem to get this (read up on Keegan’s second spell at Newcastle, if you don’t know the story).

I suspect he’s intelligent enough to adapt his policy to the job at hand so if, after us, his next job is Man U, he’d completely disregard cost or VFM and simply try to sign the best players in the world, because that’s the right policy for the job.

(I’m not really suggesting he’s going to get the Man U job, it’s just for illustrative purposes).

It would seem that most of the players CW has signed that have done well for us have been those that feel they have been under-valued by their previous clubs. Chris has the knack of highlighting this fact to the players and motivating them to 'walk through walls' to achieve their full potential and with it the recognition.

This is what CW does best and I would'nt envisage he would change this approach.

I'll just run through a few known variables:
We have 2 strikers on the books (leaving Clarke out of it given he's transfer listed) and these are the most expensive players to buy.
Last season we paid 4m for a Championship centre half, strikers are much more expensive.
We've done exceptionally well up to now but we gave the game away knowing what we were doing in the transfer market by getting promoted so everybody we enquire about now will have a hefty fee attached to them.

So who are you suggesting we sign?

I'll just run through a few known variables:
We have 2 strikers on the books (leaving Clarke out of it given he's transfer listed) and these are the most expensive players to buy.
Last season we paid 4m for a Championship centre half, strikers are much more expensive.
We've done exceptionally well up to now but we gave the game away knowing what we were doing in the transfer market by getting promoted so everybody we enquire about now will have a hefty fee attached to them.

So who are you suggesting we sign?
I’m not suggesting anyone. I don’t have sufficient knowledge of players’ contracts, who is interested in playing for us, players’ character and attitudes to make suggestions.
I’m happy to wait and see what Wilder does.

I’m not suggesting anyone. I don’t have sufficient knowledge of players’ contracts, who is interested in playing for us, players’ character and attitudes to make suggestions.
I’m happy to wait and see what Wilder does.
Given that most of us (if not all) fit that criteria are you asking the users not to bother making suggestions; it's a forum, a method of entertainment, the fans are excited because we've got a few quid and it's a distraction from 'Sheffield united real world problems'.

What about players for 8ogrand on twenty million a week ?

Given that most of us (if not all) fit that criteria are you asking the users not to bother making suggestions; it's a forum, a method of entertainment, the fans are excited because we've got a few quid and it's a distraction from 'Sheffield united real world problems'.
No, not at all. I’m not asking anyone to do anything, I’m just saying that if posters are going to make suggestions, at least put a little bit of thought into it and perhaps do a little research. A quick google search will usually help, along with the application of a bit of common sense.

It’s a free country and posters can post anything that complies with the rules of the site, it just gets a bit tedious reading stupid suggestions.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t been watching other teams this season thinking ‘who could we sign when we get promoted?’ because I didn’t think we’d go up. I have no ‘short list’. If I did, then I’d ask myself the following:
Where is the player coming from and what’s he likely to be on at the moment?
Who else is interested in him, can they pay more and are they a more attractive proposition?
Is he looking to move, are the club wanting to sell?
Is it likely that he’d want to play for us?

Back
Top Bottom