Wilder’s Recruitment Policy

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill' started by BushBlade, May 17, 2019.

to hide all adverts

1. BushBlade

BushBlade We are Premier League

The main reason we have been so successful under Wilder is his recruitment. He’s used, for want of a better description, a type of ‘moneyball’. He’s looked for players who are undervalued by their clubs and players approaching the end of their contracts. He doesn’t go for ‘big names’.

So please bear this in mind when posting suggestions. It’s unlikely he’s going to change from this approach, we won’t be signing players for £20m or players on £80k+ a week, so unless you think shithousing fellow Blades is amusing or you don’t care about looking like you know nowt about football, I’d suggest putting a little bit of thought into your player suggestions.

Advertisement:

to hide all adverts.
  2. Ricky

Ricky .

And please don't lazily use this section as a dumping ground for any fleeting thought you have about player recruitment because I can almost guarantee you the name will already have been mentioned (probably with its own thread) or will be a terrible shout due to being unrealistic or garbage.

3. Grizzly blade

Grizzly blade Well-Known Member

Far too sensible.

We ought to be running a poster suggestion for those fans up in arms when we haven’t bought Maupay and others with fees over £10m. You know the ones...ranting and raving blaming the board, complaining of a lack of ambition rather than accepting the way it is.

I will start...the obvious one, Ricky.

S5Blade likes this.
  4. Tezza1889

Tezza1889 Active Member

I also love it that nobody has a clue who’s coming till they’re in the car park arriving for the photos after they’ve signed up at the academy.

Not like the Warnock days when he went public and took the players value up.. or the player went elsewhere after we alerted our rivals that we rated them..

5. Ricky

Ricky .

You are ignorant.

Akinbiyi and S40BLADE like this.
  6. Ranmoorblade

Ranmoorblade Active Member

What player is this rumour for?

Booker4 likes this.
  7. Scooter_mcgavin

Scooter_mcgavin Well-Known Member

Just seen in car park...

upload_2019-5-17_14-55-26.png

So whoever Mallpay is, unless....

ITS OUR NEW SPONSORS!

penthouseblade, The Crab and S40BLADE like this.
  8. From the pig end

From the pig end Well-Known Member

Here is a question that doesn't need it's own thread, what does Wilder take into account when he says 'value for money'?

It's easy to assume he means 'cheap' but I always saw it as - young with potential to have a sell on value.

My dad pointed out to me last week though that an older player is still worth the gamble and could still be classed as value if he kept us up next season.
    I don't like this notion that we need premiership experience, a lot of our league 1 boys did perfectly well this year without previous championship experience but an older goal scorer (with the right attitude) wouldn't be a bad thing.

I will be honest, we were discussing Fernando Forestieri and at 29, with a shit attitude, and having never scored more than 15 goals in the lower divisions, there's no way I'd class a £10million + offer for a player like him as value for money.

9. Grizzly blade

Grizzly blade Well-Known Member

That may be, I may also be a bit opinionated and head strong.
    However I won’t be ranting and raving, claiming I’m some kind of recruitment and player scouting guru, then having a hissy fit when the club doesn’t do what you said they should have.
    There will be some who do.
    For example...when Maupay goes to Burnley, Brighton or West Ham or somewhere similar for £15m there will be fans on here who think we’ve missed a trick and ranting accordingly!
    When the reality is that he was just too expensive for our club at the moment.

Calblade likes this.
  10. S40BLADE

S40BLADE Fellow Shoutbox Untermensch

There's only one Rumour Mill authority i listen to and that's RickyRicky

VIVA RUMOUR MILL

From the pig end likes this.
  11. S40BLADE

S40BLADE Fellow Shoutbox Untermensch

How very dare we demand progress.

12. sheff_blade90

sheff_blade90 Well-Known Member

Ive saying to utd fans i know when discussing the summer. our transfer record is still James Beattie at 4m then egan, Mother Theresa, sorry stupid auto correct i meant Evans & Claude Davis. we arent going to spend 15m on 1 man. also i refound something from 16/17 when i was comparing us to Newcastle & Villa. said that we had spent £50m in transfers in previous 30 years

13. Ricky

Ricky .

I'm the last one suggesting we spend silly money on anybody. You've lazily assumed otherwise simply because I'm one of the most active posters here. You've even used Maupay as an example when I'm one of the most opposed to spending silly money on him.
    Nor do I 'claim' to be any sort of guru, and if things like suggesting suitable reinvestment of the Brooks money qualify as 'hissy fit' so be it, it beats sitting on the fence. Not that stuff posted on here counts for anything anyway.

Chali 2na, Akinbiyi and S40BLADE like this.
  14. tomtheblade

tomtheblade Active Member

Lionel Messi

BushBlade likes this.
  15. BushBlade

I tend to agree with your dad. Think ‘Jake Wright’. Value for money? Absolutely and he’ll have no resale value. It’s important to bring in some younger players with potential but that has to be mixed with more experienced players, to give us the best chance of staying up. Not many, just a couple of solid pros with good attitudes.

From the pig end likes this.
  16. dc_blade

dc_blade Member

Good post, and I agree with most of it.

I think we have to be careful not to imply or assume that being broke is part of Wilder's transfer policy. What I mean is, Wilder has been working under certain constraints since he arrived at the club. He's done an absolutely extraordinary job under the circumstances. He's still under certain constraints now, of course, but they are lesser or just different. We can't be totally sure what his policy will look like when he has a bit more money to spend.

Some people have suggested that Wilder is opposed on principle to spending big money on this or that player. I'm not sure that's true--we'll have to wait and see.

BushBlade likes this.
  17. tomtheblade

tomtheblade Active Member

Yes, and I think the Egan transfer proves your point to a degree.

A record fee for an area where we'd bought in a high-profile (at the time) signing only the previous summer in Stearman. For me that showed Wilder is willing to invest good sums of money when he think the player is worth it.

BushBlade and dc_blade like this.
  18. BushBlade

When you consider that the lowest PL wage bills in 2017/8 were circa £60m and our income next season will be circa £120m, it’s fairly apparent that we won’t be spending half our transfer budget on one player, or that a player of that value is very unlikely to actually want to join a newly promoted club.

19. dc_blade

dc_blade Member

No disagreement there. But again, that's more about constraints and less about Wilder's policy..

BushBlade likes this.
  20. BushBlade

I agree but his policy has to fit the constraints of the job. Which it does. That sounds like common sense and nothing more but there are managers that just don’t seem to get this (read up on Keegan’s second spell at Newcastle, if you don’t know the story).

I suspect he’s intelligent enough to adapt his policy to the job at hand so if, after us, his next job is Man U, he’d completely disregard cost or VFM and simply try to sign the best players in the world, because that’s the right policy for the job.

(I’m not really suggesting he’s going to get the Man U job, it’s just for illustrative purposes).

dc_blade likes this.