Why are sports interviewers so rubbish these days?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
In the press conferences with Wilder they only ask the most softball generic questions such as:

• Any injury concerns?
  • Summarize the game for us
  • After any players in January?

---

I'm not saying that they should interrogate Wilder or be rude, but why can't they be more specific such as:

'Bogle had an impressive debut against Brighton the other day and has not been seen since. What are looking for for him to be involved with the team?'

'You stated at the end of the transfer window that 'the players in the building are good enough' , do you still believe that that's the case or have they forced you to reconsider your approach?'

'Sheffield United have the lowest number of foreign players in the Premier League. Is this a market that the club choose not to pursue, or is the infrastructure not available to make purchases and loans from France, Spain etc. where player fees might be less expensive?'

'You have called fans who question the system as 'Playstation managers'. Are we to take it you will never start with a significantly different system at the start of the match no matter if things keep continuing in the same vein?'

'Do you believe that other teams and the league have strengthened since last season and that they are more tactically aware of what Sheffield United offer and have raised their game accordingly?'

'Are you considering your position and do you believe you are the best man to keep Sheffield United up?'

I'm sure that others on here could think of better questions than the above.

I recall there was an interviewer a couple of years back from BBC Radio Sheffield who took this approach but Wilder it got a bit spiky and he wasn't used again, I imagine that's the reason why?

Someone from outside sport like Andrew Marr or John Snow would ask more intriguing questions, in sport in general I'd say we don't really have that

I have had the same thought. Wilder is getting an easy ride from those interviewing him given how we are doing.

the reasons these questions arent asked are:

• local journalists not wanting to lose access
  • Wilder won’t answer such questions anyway

This isn't a perfect interview by any means but SAF clearly wasn't used to being scrutinised in the manner he was

Last edited:
Interviewers are shite, the people getting interviewed are more sensitive and protective and all modern commentary are glorified podcasts between ex footballers. Lot on it wank. 😂

I have had the same thought. Wilder is getting an easy ride from those interviewing him given how we are doing.

the reasons these questions arent asked are:

• local journalists not wanting to lose access
  • Wilder won’t answer such questions anyway

So who will have access in the end? Only the people and organizations that offer soft ball questions, it's a real disappointment but don't think anything can be done about it, a very controlling approach.

If a politician did it they would be called authoritarians...

Of course that's different as there is/should be a democratic right to hold people to account, but these interviewers are supposed to ask questions for the benefit of the supporters as well as their organizations but perhaps I'm being naively optimistic about how the world works.

So who will have access in the end? Only the people and organizations that offer soft ball questions, it's a real disappointment but don't think anything can be done about it, a very controlling approach.

If a politician did it it would be called authoritarian..

That’s the way it is now. The club care even less about speaking to local journalists because they can go round them with social media.

That’s what I’ve been thinking, especially with our official site. They are all mates, as to be expected I guess.

That’s the way it is now. The club care even less about speaking to local journalists because they can go round them with social media.

I'm less critical of Sky, BT Sport etc. in this regard as they are a commercial entity to make money and wouldn't want to alienate the club and lose access.

It's the BBC I'm more annoyed with as they are public domain organization which we fund through our taxes to ask the questions we want to be answered.

Would Wilder and the club really ban BBC Radio Sheffield/block access for asking challenging questions?

Or would they complain and then the bosses at BBC Radio Sheffield remove any journalists to keep things nice and cosy and smooth?

In the press conferences with Wilder they only ask the most softball generic questions such as:

• Any injury concerns?

---

I'm not saying that they should interrogate Wilder or be rude, but why can't they be more specific such as:

'Bogle had an impressive debut against Brighton the other day and has not been seen since. What are looking for for him to be involved with the team?'

'You stated at the end of the transfer window that 'the players in the building are good enough' , do you still believe that that's the case or have they forced you to reconsider your approach?'

'Sheffield United have the lowest number of foreign players in the Premier League. Is this a market that the club choose not to pursue, or is the infrastructure not available to make purchases and loans from France, Spain etc. where player fees might be less expensive?'

'You have called fans who question the system as 'Playstation managers'. Are we to take it you will never start with a significantly different system at the start of the match no matter if things keep continuing in the same vein?'

'Do you believe that other teams and the league have strengthened since last season and that they are more tactically aware of what Sheffield United offer and have raised their game accordingly?'

'Are you considering your position and do you believe you are the best man to keep Sheffield United up?'

I recall there was an interviewer a couple of years back from BBC Radio Sheffield who took this approach but Wilder it got a bit spiky and he wasn't used again, I imagine that's the reason why?

Someone from outside sport like Andrew Marr or John Snow would ask more intriguing questions, in sport in general I'd say we don't really have that
The answers given by players and managers are generally poor as well. It's like interviews with politicians, they avoid answering the tough questions and so the interviewers stop asking them. Sports interviews over many years have been rubbish. If it was me I would love to really spice it up, but only a few like Ian Holloway and some others dare to. Even Wilder said he sounds like a broken record,................. so change it then!

The answers given by players and managers are generally poor as well. It's like interviews with politicians, they avoid answering the tough questions and so the interviewers stop asking them. Sports interviews over many years have been rubbish. If it was me I would love to really spice it up, but only a few like Ian Holloway and some others dare to. Even Wilder said he sounds like a broken record,................. so change it then!.

I would say that they should take this approach:

Paxman is a massive twat in my view, he goes too far the other way.
PS I realise you are being tongue in cheek!

Yep ;) there is a balance.

One of the best ones I saw was Emily Maitlis to Prince Andrew. Of course different context and everyone remembers what a buffoon Prince Andrew was, though she was polite ,articulate and asked pertinent questions.

Actually thinking across the whole of sport I can't think of anyone who even goes close in comparison except from this:

It's not just interviewers.

Not sure what the fuck all live coverage studio directors are up to, but there's far too much fucking lingering on those on the touchline, dugout or in the stands, sat motionless, bored or pissed off in masks, and most non-playing attendees know the game now and speak behind cupped hands, so lip reading is 'over'.

For me, as soon as the ball is 'live', the coverage should be on 'camera one' and not looking at one or the other manager watching the game in play.

Cunts.

pommpey

Wilder gets precious when he’s asked difficult questions and always has done. The local press don’t want to alienate themselves so I can understand them trying to stay onside. They’re the only ones who’ll be interviewing him next season.

Are you talking about the SUFC TV interviews or the national coverage interviews like MOTM ? If you notice the SUFC TV ones are softer, less aggressive questions as though coaxing an answer out of CW. I cant see the SUFC TV ones going out to rub him up the wrong way.

The others are sometimes more abrasive but then it could be the way its edited too dont forget.

Are you talking about the SUFC TV interviews or the national coverage interviews like MOTM ? If you notice the SUFC TV ones are softer, less aggressive questions as though coaxing an answer out of CW. I cant see the SUFC TV ones going out to rub him up the wrong way.

The others are sometimes more abrasive but then it could be the way its edited too dont forget.

Talking about all of them though yes SUFC TV is different I recognize that, it's there to promote the club.

It's the BBC, local and national ones which are the most pathetic without good reason.

If Wilder would be the sort of person to start banning interviewers he's less good a person than we thought him as.

Talking about all of them though yes SUFC TV is different I recognize that, it's there to promote the club.

It's the BBC, local and national ones which are the most pathetic without good reason.

If Wilder would be the sort of person to start banning interviewers he's less good a person than we thought him as.

If MOTD is anything to go by in the last two episodes they are really sympathetic in their comments. Probably got to the point where the embarrassment has got to the interviews and they dont want to ask the questions. Its almost like someone died and you dont want to ask the question out of respect.

I'm less critical of Sky, BT Sport etc. in this regard as they are a commercial entity to make money and wouldn't want to alienate the club and lose access.

It's the BBC I'm more annoyed with as they are public domain organization which we fund through our taxes to ask the questions we want to be answered.

Would Wilder and the club really ban BBC Radio Sheffield/block access for asking challenging questions?

Or would they complain and then the bosses at BBC Radio Sheffield remove any journalists to keep things nice and cosy and smooth?
Genuine question.
Are the BBC funded by taxpayers or the licence fee. If the former, why are we paying the licence fee?
Or is it both, again why are we paying the licence fee?

Genuine question.
Are the BBC funded by taxpayers or the licence fee. If the former, why are we paying the licence fee?
Or is it both, again why are we paying the licence fee?

The license fee is a tax which we are legally obliged to pay.

The OP isn't designed to be an attack on the BBC, though in general the quality of questions are pretty crap.

Sometimes they aren't even questions, just a generic comment which the manager then does a soliloquy on:

'Though in the second half there seemed to be more momentum'

'Yeah in the second half we pushed more forward lacked quailiteh etc. etc. etc. meaningless ramble'

The license fee is a tax which we are legally obliged to pay.

The OP isn't designed to be an attack on the BBC, though in general the quality of questions are pretty crap.

Sometimes they aren't even questions, just a generic comment which the manager then does a soliloquy on:

'Though in the second half there seemed to be more momentum'

'Yeah in the second half we pushed more forward lacked quailiteh etc. etc. etc. meaningless ramble'
See your point regards the the licence fee, just I never looked at it like that, another school day for me.
Regarding the bbc any one who berates them has my backing.

• Any injury concerns?

---

Agree that questions could be more interesting, and the level of detail is often underestimating a lot of fans who are really interested in the game.

What I don't want though is questions like 'Are you considering your position and do you believe you are the best man to keep Sheffield United up?' It just gets awkward and embarrassing.

Without looking this up I'm pretty sure the club is mandated somewhat when it comes to media coverage as Sky are obviously the ones with the broadcasting rights to the Premier League?

Especially the Friday afternoon press conferences before a football weekend. As for pre and post match interviews managers can and sometimes do send their assistant manager for the duty but as I understand it these are mandatory also? I think it must be as you never see managers flat out refuse or just not bother turning up?

Anyway as for your main point from your OP, I completely agree. The questions that us fans would like to be asked obviously don't need to be as far as being rude or as though they are undermining the manager, just as long as they are relevant to the situation or lightly suggesting if the manager/club has given any thought to potential solutions.

Whether that be along the lines of 'it is probably fair to say that with the team now being in a no lose situation are you or have you considered trying a more substantial change in tactics or formations seeing as the current setup has seen you lose 14 out of 16 games?'. Another one could be 'until this club ever establishes itself at this level to the point where it can compete financially with the majority of other mid table PL clubs, is the club behind the scenes currently placing more emphasis on broadening and strengthening it's overseas scouting network?'.

The latter wouldn't necessarily have to be put forward to Wilder although I'm sure there would still be nothing wrong with that. But maybe to PA the next time he faces the media.

It's not just interviewers.

Not sure what the fuck all live coverage studio directors are up to, but there's far too much fucking lingering on those on the touchline, dugout or in the stands, sat motionless, bored or pissed off in masks, and most non-playing attendees know the game now and speak behind cupped hands, so lip reading is 'over'.

For me, as soon as the ball is 'live', the coverage should be on 'camera one' and not looking at one or the other manager watching the game in play.

Cunts.

pommpey
Agree, and this seems to be getting worse, sometimes chances are missed too.

Without looking this up I'm pretty sure the club is mandated somewhat when it comes to media coverage as Sky are obviously the ones with the broadcasting rights to the Premier League?

Especially the Friday afternoon press conferences before a football weekend. As for pre and post match interviews managers can and sometimes do send their assistant manager for the duty but as I understand it these are mandatory also? I think it must be as you never see managers flat out refuse or just not bother turning up?

Anyway as for your main point from your OP, I completely agree. The questions that us fans would like to be asked obviously don't need to be as far as being rude or as though they are undermining the manager, just as long as they are relevant to the situation or lightly suggesting if the manager/club has given any thought to potential solutions.

Whether that be along the lines of 'it is probably fair to say that with the team now being in a nothing to lose situation are you or have you considered trying a more substantial change in tactics or formations seeing as the current setup has seen you lose 14 out of 16 games?'. Another one could be 'until this club ever establishes itself at this level to the point where it can compete financially with the majority of other mid table PL clubs, is the club behind the scenes currently placing more emphasis on broadening and strengthening it's overseas scouting network?'.

The latter wouldn't necessarily have to be put forward to Wilder although I'm sure there would still be nothing wrong with that. But maybe to PA the next time he faces the media.

Maybe Wilder would just do this:

I think SAF had to pay a fine for not being interviewed by the BBC?

Wilder should be asked more pressing questions imho

Last edited:
Maybe Wilder would just do this:

😆 I would find it funny if Wilder did something like that but in all seriousness he couldn't do that in every interview as overtime he would be the one coming across as arrogant, especially if the interviewer's questions were far from unreasonable and like I said earlier at least relevant.

There was one interview Wilder did (and it was only earlier this year) where an interviewer asked him if there was any truth in a rumour of a player being linked with us, and Wilder just played with the zip on his jacket without saying anything and I couldn't really blame him for that one, I've forgotten which interview it was though!

There was one interview Wilder did (and it was only earlier this year) where an interviewer asked him if there was any truth in a rumour of a player being linked with us, and Wilder just played with the zip on his jacket without saying anything and I couldn't really blame him for that one, I've

Yep, so it's not like Wilder can ban certain interviewers. Which makes it all the more annoying that they don't ask polite but pertinent questions.

If he doesn't answer that's his right, but doesn't mean that they shouldn't be asked.

Agree, tho imagine banging them questions out at CW, then at the next days presser putting your hand up and expecting him to come to you?!

Too molly coddled, not just us tho

Also said for years refs should come out 30 mins after a game to explain their reasons for a decision, not that we have to agree, but if one came out and said ‘in real time and with bodies in front of me I just couldn’t see it, and as such couldn’t give it’
Least you would have an understanding and respect for him

Agree, tho imagine banging them questions out at CW, then at the next days presser putting your hand up and expecting him to come to you?!

Too molly coddled, not just us tho

Also said for years refs should come out 30 mins after a game to explain their reasons for a decision, not that we have to agree, but if one came out and said ‘in real time and with bodies in front of me I just couldn’t see it, and as such couldn’t give it’
Least you would have an understanding and respect for him

It seems quite sad that we would assume that Wilder would refuse to engage with journalists who ask proper questions :(

Question 1: Injury updates?

Question 2: Covid disruption?

Question 3: Integrity issue with Premier League with some squads more affected than others?

Question 4: Likelihood of incoming transfers?

Question 5: Harder to attract players with league position?

Question 6: Basham's achievements?

Question 7: What positive influence does he has across the club?

Question 8: Thoughts on Crystal Palace?

Question 9: Do you still see yourself managing in 20 years time?

Question 10: Is the belief there that the gap to 17th isn't as big as it could be?

---

Apart from question 5 all of those are softball questions

Back
Top Bottom