Who will be the next to play like us?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Argentinemanager

Reaction score
After the success of united with a new style of football, I think many chairmen will be wanting a similar style from there respective clubs . Get players cheap , no breaking the bank and success. I know our style has been honed over 3 years but I think at least 2 teams will adopt our overlapping c/halves, I think who ever gets coutts will play it and Wigan , any thoughts, I know it doesn't affect us now we're in the big boys league but to see if it's the start of a new era of tactics .

Leicester City fan on 'Roy's View From... ' said Harry Maguire adopts the style on occasions so I suppose it must have started with the club that developed the young Harry.

Leicester City fan on 'Roy's View From... ' said Harry Maguire adopts the style on occasions so I suppose it must have started with the club that developed the young Harry.

Well Maguire always did move forward with the ball to start up attacks and this seemed to be encouraged at the time but it wasn’t the samething at all as the current model. To my knowledge centre backs been doing that since Beckenbauer and probably before that.

Well Maguire always did move forward with the ball to start up attacks and this seemed to be encouraged at the time but it wasn’t the samething at all as the current model. To my knowledge centre backs been doing that since Beckenbauer and probably before that.

Yes, Maguire did like to step out with the ball into midfield, but that had been done before, going back as far as Beckenbauer like you said, and Bobby Moore from my memory, and probably others before them.
But we didn't see Maguire overlapping the wing backs and putting crosses in

I mean come on? Don’t get me wrong there has been incredible ball playing defenders over the years.

But a teams tactic to have the wide CB’s overlapping the WB to the byline constantly is something completely new. They often find them self’s in a crossing or shooting position in the box.

How many times have you heard, or even said, that a central defender "gets altitude sickness " or "disorientated" if, other than for a corner, they venture past the half way line!?
What our CB's do is unique I would say!

Yes, Maguire did like to step out with the ball into midfield, but that had been done before, going back as far as Beckenbauer like you said, and Bobby Moore from my memory, and probably others before them.
But we didn't see Maguire overlapping the wing backs and putting crosses in
Correct. I can’t recall any team certainly in the English game that’s consistently played like we have. The only time you might see a centre back high up on the wing is if his team was chasing the game with just minutes to go, but then when they got there they’d usually have a brain fart and have no idea what to do next.

Given the success we have enjoyed with our system over the past three years it's kind of strange that no-one else has tried it. I suspect that primarily, it is down to a combination of snobbery and ignorance; sentiments like, "oh its only direct stuff from Sheffield United with a lower league manager" seem to me to be the most likely explanation. Whilst it is true to say we have seen an increasing amount of comment in the media this year about our style I still think that those who care for nothing outside the Premier League bubble haven't got the slightest idea about how we've played this year and care even less. The very notion that anything tactically interesting could have developed outside the PL and from a dinosaur of an English manager to boot, is so far off the radar of most name pundits that it would utterly fail to compute with them. It will be very interesting to see what happens next season on many levels.

Did Wilder use it at Northampton, or Oxford or Halifax?
At first it wasn't all great but we were bottom of league 2 when he came in but he steadied the ship and the rest is history even when losing 2-0 away we were so confident that we would win and then we went on a 26 match unbeaten run and pissed the league with oxalona coming second

Given the success we have enjoyed with our system over the past three years it's kind of strange that no-one else has tried it. I suspect that primarily, it is down to a combination of snobbery and ignorance; sentiments like, "oh its only direct stuff from Sheffield United with a lower league manager" seem to me to be the most likely explanation. Whilst it is true to say we have seen an increasing amount of comment in the media this year about our style I still think that those who care for nothing outside the Premier League bubble haven't got the slightest idea about how we've played this year and care even less. The very notion that anything tactically interesting could have developed outside the PL and from a dinosaur of an English manager to boot, is so far off the radar of most name pundits that it would utterly fail to compute with them. It will be very interesting to see what happens next season on many levels.
Agree, plus also Knilly & anybody else on the inside who contributed to it

After the success of united with a new style of football, I think many chairmen will be wanting a similar style from there respective clubs . Get players cheap , no breaking the bank and success. I know our style has been honed over 3 years but I think at least 2 teams will adopt our overlapping c/halves, I think who ever gets coutts will play it and Wigan , any thoughts, I know it doesn't affect us now we're in the big boys league but to see if it's the start of a new era of tactics .
A team with Coutts in will have t adopt it because he's so static they'd never move forward other wise. Maybe Coutts invented it?

It has been noticed by the premiership pundits. They seem to be sceptical that we can play that way in the Prem and so is Wilder.

Back
Top Bottom