Where's the 'View From Rod Stewart'?!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Only after he’d subjected it to cruel and inhuman punishment, ripped out its gorgeous lyrical heart, and drowned every last nuance of melancholy from its aching fragile bones.

I did suggest precisely this, on here, just after the show was announced, and posted the original versh of “Downtown Train” by way of contrast. If memrie serves, I didn’t get much in the way of a sympathetic hearing. God knows what the haters would make of some of Waits’s later stuff.

Anyhow. As posted earlier in the thread, I’m quite happy to note Younger Rod’s contribution to the great British songbook, and all that. His grim evisceration of “Downtown Train”, tho, outstrips even Ronan Keating’s hammering of “Fairytale of NY” as riposte to the myth that “you can’t keep a good song down”.

*shudder*
I remember reading it and agreeing with every word. I don't mind people liking Mr sexy's version, no issue with him covering it either to a certain extent as it's a great tune. It's when people start believing it to be a better version, or that Waits 'can't sing', that's when you have that 'Trump' moment, the moment you think 'this has to be a bad dream, it just has to'.
My wife regularly has to slap me back into reality as I'm in the corner rocking - there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no pl....

Here you are BB

from The Jeff Beck first album, Truth, great stuff and yes very LZish but tellingly, predating LZ 1. RS was a great rock vocalist at 21 playing cutting edge stuff by 31 he wasn't.

If you don’t like this, you can go suck my salty balls for all I care. Quite simply a different level.

Best version of a great song in my view and with Mike d'Abo on keyboards, it doesn't get much better.

His best stuff was around that time and in the early seventies with The Faces when he was the coolest man on the planet. I'll be happy if I never hear anything he did after 1974.

Even Sailing is a shocker, not a patch on the original. And don't get me started on how he ruined Hotel Chambermaid.....

He's probably got enough of a decent back catalogue for a good concert. This, for example.

He's probably got enough of a decent back catalogue for a good concert. This, for example.

Hmmmm. Another Tom Waits cover that was better by Tom Waits?

It’s a “No” from me, I’m afraid.

Reactions: cc1
Best version of a great song in my view and with Mike d'Abo on keyboards, it doesn't get much better.

His best stuff was around that time and in the early seventies with The Faces when he was the coolest man on the planet. I'll be happy if I never hear anything he did after 1974.

Even Sailing is a shocker, not a patch on the original. And don't get me started on how he ruined Hotel Chambermaid.....
He wasn't too shabby here either..

Stood next to 'Rod the Mod' in the Gate Inn at Pitsmoor circa 1965 when he came to the Mojo with the Steampackage , an assembly of artists which included Long John Baldry , Julie Driscoll , the Brian Augar Trinity and Rod himself .

Since the Mojo didn't have an alcohol licence , they had had a 30 min. break in their shows when everyone , including the artists would rush down to the Gate and ram a few pints down before returning for the second half and he stood next to me waiting to be served ( in his velvet jacket and frilly cuffed shirt !)

Happy Days . :)

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but anyone know how many turned up?

I'm vaguely old enough to remember some of his output.

His first four albums and the stuff he did with The Faces is some of the best British rock music there is. Granted, the quality has declined somewhat since about 1973.

Back
Top Bottom