Where's the 'View From Rod Stewart'?!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Following his join up with the Small Faces the Faces/Stewart were the equal of the Stones in my humble opinion, since then he's got worse and been bloody awful for most of it. The time to see him was '71 '72 not now, unfortunately, I was just too young. The amazing thing about this period for me though is that even with the undoubted talents of Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood the band were still inferior to some of the frankly epic music produced by the original Small Faces with Steve Marriott leading the line up.

Don't know if this will load or not but here's the Faces with Rod and Ronnie doing their stuff

and here's the Small Faces with Marriott defining what good rock music is a few years earlier

Early demo of Wham Bam, later referenced by Bowie.

Apparently he toured with Jeff Beck around the same time as Led Zep started (they also did a version of one of the blues covers on Zep’s first album) and some that were around at the time thought they were better but for some reason it fell apart and Zep went on to be massive.

I'm with Shockers ShockingBadBuy there's no way that's the roof of John Street.

Well, I’m happy to take SherburnBlade at their word if they know summat I don’t. But I’ve squinted hard at that footage, three times now, and I still can’t see any John St shapes I recognise.

All a bit X Files, Beep, innit?

Does anyone have any idea on how much money we will make from the concert?

If it helps here is a pic of the stage roof before it was raised into position
FB_IMG_1560799337170.jpg

I was looking forward to Roygbiv providing us with a 'View From Rod Stewart' fans! Maybe with a Bruce Springsteen fan moaning that he was nowhere near as good as 'the Boss' was at the Lane in 88 and the obligatory Wednesday infiltrator claiming that it would have been much better at Hillsborough!

The advert for that gig used to make me shudder every time it came on the big screen this season. I genuinely believed that after the Bristol and Millwall results our players were having to keep the bile down every time they caught a glimpse.

Utterly repulsive and shit music to boot. And he murdered downtown train.

The advert for that gig used to make me shudder every time it came on the big screen this season. I genuinely believed that after the Bristol and Millwall results our players were having to keep the bile down every time they caught a glimpse.

And what about that fucking Motown song?😉

I love Rod Stewart's version! I have to admit I hadn't realised Tom Wait sung the original, but I've just asked Alexa to play it me and it sounds like he has a mouthful of gravel whilst he's singing it! :)

“Bring over some of your old Motown records”

And when you’ve heard my cover versions, you’ll never want to play them again.
Of course you won't, because you'll realise Rod's versions are far superior :)

Apparently he toured with Jeff Beck around the same time as Led Zep started (they also did a version of one of the blues covers on Zep’s first album) and some that were around at the time thought they were better but for some reason it fell apart and Zep went on to be massive.

Yeah, RS was the vocalist for a couple of years with the original Jeff Beck Group. They were gaining quite a reputation particularly in the States where they did a number of tours, but as is the way with rock bands they had a final mighty bust up a few days before they were due to play at Woodstock! Bad career move in retrospect. Seems a bit weird to me to think that RS could have sung there because he then didn't get his real breakthrough until the early 70's he seems like he's from a different generation of musicians to the 60's rock pioneers.

Well, we had a great night, as did everyone else we could see.
Accepting he’s getting on, if I can do what he does when I’m 74, I’ll come on here & post the pictures.
He knows how to entertain, had a bit of a chat & a laugh with the crowd, made an emotional tribute to D-day, did 2 hours of good entertainment that got folk singing & had some fireworks for good measure.
He’s not everyone’s cup of tea I get that. Just like no-one is everyone’s cup of tea.....

Well, we had a great night, as did everyone else we could see.
Accepting he’s getting on, if I can do what he does when I’m 74, I’ll come on here & post the pictures.
He knows how to entertain, had a bit of a chat & a laugh with the crowd, made an emotional tribute to D-day, did 2 hours of good entertainment that got folk singing & had some fireworks for good measure.
He’s not everyone’s cup of tea I get that. Just like no-one is everyone’s cup of tea.....

Mmm. Positive opinion GB. There’s a time and a place, not sure it’s on this forum at the moment :)

Mmm. Positive opinion GB. There’s a time and a place, not sure it’s on this forum at the moment :)

Everyone does seem a bit hissy-pissy at the moment. Admit I did post with a slight feeling of “what the fuck am I doing this for”.... ;)

And he murdered downtown train.

Only after he’d subjected it to cruel and inhuman punishment, ripped out its gorgeous lyrical heart, and drowned every last nuance of melancholy from its aching fragile bones.

I did suggest precisely this, on here, just after the show was announced, and posted the original versh of “Downtown Train” by way of contrast. If memrie serves, I didn’t get much in the way of a sympathetic hearing. God knows what the haters would make of some of Waits’s later stuff.

Anyhow. As posted earlier in the thread, I’m quite happy to note Younger Rod’s contribution to the great British songbook, and all that. His grim evisceration of “Downtown Train”, tho, outstrips even Ronan Keating’s hammering of “Fairytale of NY” as riposte to the myth that “you can’t keep a good song down”.

*shudder*

Back
Top Bottom