Where's the 'View From Rod Stewart'?!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rod became a ghastly self-parody 30 years ago, at least. And he has massacred some fine songs in his time.

But The Faces were ace, as was some of his v early solo stuff, and he did once say, “Instead of getting divorced again I’m going to find myself a woman I don’t like and give her a house”.

Following his join up with the Small Faces the Faces/Stewart were the equal of the Stones in my humble opinion, since then he's got worse and been bloody awful for most of it. The time to see him was '71 '72 not now, unfortunately, I was just too young. The amazing thing about this period for me though is that even with the undoubted talents of Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood the band were still inferior to some of the frankly epic music produced by the original Small Faces with Steve Marriott leading the line up.

Don't know if this will load or not but here's the Faces with Rod and Ronnie doing their stuff

and here's the Small Faces with Marriott defining what good rock music is a few years earlier

Early demo of Wham Bam, later referenced by Bowie.

I like Rod Stewart, there, I said it, played a big part in my youth music and the general culture of my generation, don’t knock him.

As young people we were expected to be seen and not heard, do what we were told, not allowed an opinion. We changed that so snowflakes could ‘evolve’ and music in the 60’s and 70’s was a big part of that. Beatles Faces, Who, Stones, Bowie were just a few that gave us the passion to be ourselves so don’t knock em.

Roddy Stewart, down at T'Lane
Fake Scottish has-been
Ticket prices, fucking hell - I can't believe he's sold three.
5 foot 10 and old as fuck, he get's mi Nan excited.
Shove "I'm Sailing" up your arse,
I'd rather watch United :)

So our club hire out the ground, make some money and it's all shit. Right.

There's nothing like music for polarising opinion (well, apart from footy and Brexit).
As Mr Stewart's got older he's gone more middle of the road, which is what some on here seem to advocate, i.e. acting his age. For others that's exactly what's wrong with him. Just goes to show, you can't please everyone.
I liked a lot of his early stuff but I'm not fussed about stuff he's done since.
The good thing is, no-one is obliged to listen to something they don't like.😉

When I was discovering music RS was one of my favourite singers, I liked everything he did with the Faces & as a solo artist up to the Smiler LP, which still had some good tracks but too many not so good. I haven't followed him or bought any of his music since then, it doesn't float my boat, but this does not diminish his early work, which I still play regularly & enjoy listening to.

Back
Top Bottom