Where would this squad come in the championship

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sorry youth not come across you before, but after almost 60 years of watching/following United I and many on here are more than prepared for us having a poor season in Championship. You have to accept that United never do anything the easy way, we make lives hard enough for ourselves without the players intervening. You can aim for top 6 as you say but we have been chucking money about like confetti, the only trouble is we've spent it at Poundland.

I'd expect most signings to have a decent season in the Championship.

Burke i'm not too sure about though, he's fooling a lot of fans here like he did at past clubs when they initially signed him.
His explosive pace becomes irrelevant when he can't position himself to get involved in the game.

The Mentality is going to be completely different to the last time they played at that level, that will be a concern.

No longer the plucky underdogs, the attitude by many on here shows that anything below the top 6 is a failure.
i think anything less than top 6 next season will be a failure and the manager is certain to be sacked personally i dont think theres any reason we shouldnt be in top 6

Mid table at best if we go with the same players. The team is unbalanced and a lot of the quality is the wrong side of 30, we are going to need at least six new players maybe more. I fear for us in the Championship if we go into it with a really low points total from this season confidence will be rock bottom. I can see the pigs doing the double over us if that happens, I dread it.

Mid table at best if we go with the same players. The team is unbalanced and a lot of the quality is the wrong side of 30, we are going to need at least six new players maybe more. I fear for us in the Championship if we go into it with a really low points total from this season confidence will be rock bottom. I can see the pigs doing the double over us if that happens, I dread it.
we might not be playing wednesday yet their in a far worst state than us if you dont believe me take a look on porktalk your right we will need a few new additions but the championship is such an inferior league to the premier league im confident utb ftp

Anyone saying promotion candidates needs to give their head a wobble. You are not going to go from losing every game to winning more often than not.

Not in a million years.

Mid table but possibly firting with the play-offs. The damage being done to CW and the players this season is not going to disappear over night. That's why it's imperative we freshen THE FIRST TEAM up.

too much pessimism on this thread 3 or 4 good additions to the squad and we will be up there to quote our porky neighbours favourite word theres a massive gap in quality in the premier league from the championship norwich are gonna piss that league this season

too much pessimism on this thread 3 or 4 good additions to the squad and we will be up there to quote our porky neighbours favourite word theres a massive gap in quality in the premier league from the championship norwich are gonna piss that league this season

Gap between us and rest of PL > Gap between us and champ.

Add squad confidence, injuries, new signings etc no way of knowing how we'll fair.

Also consider the possibility of a bad start, Wilder would be under insane pressure and every chance of an early managerial change bringing a whole new set of unknowns.

TL;DR noone has a fuckin clue 🙂

With this squad right now and if we finish on less than 20 points my own prediction would be mid table. The scars of this season will hang over the club, manager and players for a long time. It's going to be a really important transfer window this summer bringing some optimism and confidence back to this group of players after being humiliated on the biggest stage.

Some are getting ahead of themselves, we scrapped past a bottom half league one side with a full strength team out, I know it’s the cup but fuck me, we’ve a long way to go to being a top 6 side next year, a very long way.

There are some underachieving, big clubs in the Championship, just like ourselves who could come good at any time, I’d say it’s one of the hardest leagues in the world to get promoted from, we need to sort ourselves out in house before we even think about a promotion push next year.

Going in the Direction of Sunderland Derby Forst or Sheff Wednesday does worry me

I expect United will have inserted relegation clauses in every single players contract, so I don't think finance will be an issue next season

Last edited:
I'd feel optimistic going into next season, and think we could get promoted back with the right degree of retention especially we will have players with good scoring records at the level, something others will not. Let's not forget we are likely to have the Lion's share of possession once again. Under those circumstances the likes of Norwood give more value.

Ramsdale
Basham Egan O'Connell
Bogle Norwood Fleck RND
McGoldrick
Brewster McBurnie

Got a few goals in there, pace out wide. I could see Burke and Sharp as useful subs, the former could also cover RWB and maybe Hackford making up another attacking option. Berge would come in for Norwood but can imagine he may wish to move. Possible someone like Palace, Newcastle level comes for George as he is a very good defender. You'd expect Lowe could play back up and maybe Robinson too at that level. Probably need one more body defensively.

Add a couple of decent loans and I think that team can make top 4. You'll probably be left with 1 of the relegated sides from last time, Fulham, WBA and Brentford or Swansea as main challengers.

My biggest concern would be the season after that if we did go up.

Some players are hitting thirty, and whilst I think 27-32 is peak for a few, if we don't look beyond this then we will just get relegated again due to the same failings and we desperately need more athleticism in the middle of the park.

Hopefully we can put some building blocks in place. The midfield trio that I mention would all need replacing. Perhaps Coulibaly box to box takes one slot. Maybe he plays a Fleck type role but on the right and you get someone like Luca Connell of Celtic formerly Bolton to play a Norwood type role on the left. I was very impressed when I saw him though he is still very young. We still have Osborn. Still needs a more attacking outlet for a Duffy/McGoldrick replacement. This is where I think lessons learned need to be taken and get more athleticism in the middle.

But for next year, we still have some good footballing ability.

Last edited:
For context, time it took us to get back to the top flight after each relegation:

1934 - 5 seasons
1949 - 4 seasons
1956 - 5 seasons
1968 - 3 seasons
1976 - 14 seasons
1994 - 12 seasons
2007 - 12 seasons

I would be amazed if this squad came straight back up, and Wilder's recruitment will really have to improve. There are simply not enough goals in the squad to take us back up, and too many poor or average players at the moment. It's also too small a squad for a 46 game season.

My view: mid table at best. It will take recruitment even more pathetic than that we've already seen or the mother of all injury crises to see us in the bottom 6, but after the way things have gone this year I wouldn't rule anything out.

For context, time it took us to get back to the top flight after each relegation:

1934 - 5 seasons
1949 - 4 seasons
1956 - 5 seasons
1968 - 3 seasons
1976 - 14 seasons
1994 - 12 seasons
2007 - 12 seasons

I would be amazed if this squad came straight back up, and Wilder's recruitment will really have to improve. There are simply not enough goals in the squad to take us back up, and too many poor or average players at the moment. It's also too small a squad for a 46 game season.

My view: mid table at best. It will take recruitment even more pathetic than that we've already seen or the mother of all injury crises to see us in the bottom 6, but after the way things have gone this year I wouldn't rule anything out.
I respect your view, Revolution. Do you really not see enough goals even at the level below?

Didzy is on for double figures this season.
Others will be way off, but McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp all have 1 in 2 records last time at that level.

We might lose a few but if we lost O'Connell or Egan, you'd have more than enough to get a Jake Cooper or a Davies on a Bosman to replace. If we lost Berge, who I have mixed views on his suitability for us, but you'd have enough to replace with a Ben Pearson or a No Besic for instance. If Freeman moves to Forest, who'd be an ideal no.10 option, you could go for Jed Wallace of Millwall. I don't see us getting ravaged like some teams.

I respect your view, Revolution. Do you really not see enough goals even at the level below?

Didzy is on for double figures this season.
Others will be way off, but McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp all have 1 in 2 records last time at that level.

We might lose a few but if we lost O'Connell or Egan, you'd have more than enough to get a Jake Cooper or a Davies on a Bosman to replace. If we lost Berge, who I have mixed views on his suitability for us, but you'd have enough to replace with a Ben Pearson or a No Besic for instance. If Freeman moves to Forest, who'd be an ideal no.10 option, you could go for Jed Wallace of Millwall. I don't see us getting ravaged like some teams.
McBurnie, Brewster and Sharp all had records like that. Past tense.

Sharp is 35
McBurnie has regressed and can’t stay fit
Brewster did well in half a season but he looks awful now. That could be small sample size.
Mousset? Forget it. Will be injured or not here

Didzy is having a good year but he’s never been a 20 a season man.

And I keep hearing from McBurnies defenders that it’s all about creating chances. Fine. Who of this sorry midfield will create? Lunny will be gone. Norwood is done. Will Fleck get better? Berge creates nothing and won’t stay anyway. Wilderwon’t play Freeman.

We will be worse at the back than we were last time. We have a poor goalkeeper and the others are regressing (even Bash sadly on recent evidence) or injured. O’Connell will be sold anyway.

To challenge and score we need a whole new midfield and at present I have no confidence whatsoever that Wilder will pick the players we need. His recruitment nous has completely deserted him.

Mid table, tops.

McBurnie, Brewster and Sharp all had records like that. Past tense.

Sharp is 35
McBurnie has regressed and can’t stay fit
Brewster did well in half a season but he looks awful now. That could be small sample size.
Mousset? Forget it. Will be injured or not here

Didzy is having a good year but he’s never been a 20 a season man.

And I keep hearing from McBurnies defenders that it’s all about creating chances. Fine. Who of this sorry midfield will create? Lunny will be gone. Norwood is done. Will Fleck get better? Berge creates nothing and won’t stay anyway. Wilderwon’t play Freeman.

We will be worse at the back than we were last time. We have a poor goalkeeper and the others are regressing (even Bash sadly on recent evidence) or injured. O’Connell will be sold anyway.

To challenge and score we need a whole new midfield and at present I have no confidence whatsoever that Wilder will pick the players we need. His recruitment nous has completely deserted him.

Mid table, tops.
So you're optimistic then? 😉

The midfield is needing a rebuild sooner rather than later. Just a question of whether there is any left in the tank at the level below.

I'm more optimistic than you on the strikers at that level but your concerns are not unfounded.

Agree in the recruitment. That summer we got O'Connell, Fleck, Duffy, etc seems a long time ago.

For the level we are at, I'd take a refund on all those bought since summer 2019 onwards.

I have no idea what anyone’s seen in Berge for us to want him to stay. The wheels fell off our midfield the day he signed.

He’d still command a fee - which we could use for team strengthening.
Agreed and his wages are probably towards the higher end of our structure. Ship out and get two solid champ mids in.

Whilst I agree that we will struggle to get anyone decent into the club in our current league position.

Perversely I think that in the Championship, players and agents would consider us an attractive move, with a realistic chance of Premier League football.

Whether we will sign the right type and blend of players of course, is the million dollar question 😬

Some are getting ahead of themselves, we scrapped past a bottom half league one side with a full strength team out, I know it’s the cup but fuck me, we’ve a long way to go to being a top 6 side next year, a very long way.

makes you wonder where Leeds, West Brom, Burnley & West Ham would be in the championship, 1st 2 are certs for relegation & latter 2 would scrape mid table

Do you really think we will have any difficulty in 'holding on' to McBurnie
McBurnie is tailor made for Burnley, and with their new investment he may be an ideal and realistic replacement for their ageing strikers. Would it be good business to sell, re-invest the money on weaker areas, and rely on sharp, mcgoldrick, burke & brewster to get the goals?

McBurnie is tailor made for Burnley, and with their new investment he may be an ideal and realistic replacement for their ageing strikers. Would it be good business to sell, re-invest the money on weaker areas, and rely on sharp, mcgoldrick, burke & brewster to get the goals?
Burnley dont score enough goals (like us) do you really think that the prolific McBurnie will be the solution to that problem

makes you wonder where Leeds, West Brom, Burnley & West Ham would be in the championship, 1st 2 are certs for relegation & latter 2 would scrape mid table
I was merely giving a swift reminder out that we aren’t going to get promotion or do aswell as some people think, you don’t just flick a switch and everything is hunky dory, sometimes you have to be realistic. The football we’ve witnessed this season would make a Bassett side look like a Peps Barca team, that doesn’t change overnight, it’s going to take a lot of hard work, something I’m not sure some in this squad are capable of.

It all depends on who the manager is and what the transfer strategy is.

Retain Wilder and let him tweak the squad and we will be straight back up with a stronger side

Lose Wilder and wholesale changes will see the squad struggle to gel and mid-table beckons

Back
Top Bottom