Where’s your loyalties ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Did anyone watch Sheridan Smith's "Who Do You Think You Are"

I knew there was some Sheffield in her......................................wish it had been me.

1571254388109.png

See your point OP
But it’s gotta be country 1st

I was English before those lads signed for the Blades, and I will be after they have left.

Would want them to go as far as they can.... without beating my country.

So how would you feel if those 4 played vs an England containing Hendo and JOC?
Given that’s a 2vs4 ratio, one 1 of our 2 isn’t really ours?!
Good question. Not sure if I’m honest. I’m not anti England as such just non plussed about them and 4 blades playing for another country would always trump a non blade England team for me.

To answer your question I’d say I wouldn’t be that bothered either way about the result but would be more interested in how all 6 played

It’s club over country for me in as much as I’d prefer to see success for Sheffield United over England if I ever had the opportunity to choose (which I won’t).

No such dilemma when Sheffield United players aren’t representing Sheffield United. Nice to see them do well certainly but not at the expense of England and certainly wouldn’t give the same feelings of elation when United or England score/win or would there be much reflected glory to bask in.

Also don’t get the comment about Sterling, the lad is the real deal on the pitch, a model professional and has handled himself in exemplary fashion in the face of all kinds of abuse.

I get the antipathy towards the so called golden generation, bell ends like Gerrard and Terry.... all far too wrapped up in their pathetic inter-club rivalries to perform for their country led by the insipid Sven. The current set are far removed from that lot though. A young squad keen to prove themselves. In fact we could see them line up in the Euros with Hendo, Harry Maguire and Kyle Walker (and maybe even Jack O’Connell) in the squad.
I’ve absolutely no idea whether sterling is a model professional or whether his handling of racism is any more exemplary than anyone else who has been unfortunate enough to have to deal with that. If you have reasons to believe otherwise then fair enough mate.

At the risk of going off topic I do think he is massively over rated. For every decent thing that he does he does twice as many poor things. The number of times he gives the ball away or misses gilt edge chances is unreal, study him closely and you’ll see that.

He also lacks genuine quality that allows him to compete with the best teams in the world

I'd support the international team with the most Blades players in it

I was born in Sheffield and brought up just "over the border " in Dronny. My mum and dad were born and raised in Sheffield, as were my Victorian grandparents (one grandma was born in Nottingham but that was by accident not design). I've researched my family tree and basically everyone comes from Yorkshire, Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire. By any standards I'm English. Except I've never felt English. I feel for Sheffield, for Yorkshire, for "the North " generally. I like some individuals from the south, but I'm not keen on it as a concept. It's "another country", what many people think of as "England ". Therefore I can't feel any real enthusiasm for supporting England. I liked how Southgate's lads played and gave their all in the World Cup last year, but I didn't FEEL anything. Nothing like I will on Monday. I know, it's weird!!
As far as I’m concerned, I was born in England, so I’m English. Where my parents came from is irrelevant, it doesn’t make me less English than you or anyone else.

It's OP's like this that make me glad the interwebz is a thing..
??? Not sure if you’re being complimentary or sarcastic, I suspect the latter. Thought it was a genuine question and reasonable topic to discuss personally. If you have a different opinion to mine then I’m fine with that

Anyone who’s English and wants Ireland to win no matter who’s in the team wants there head testing.
Sound like Liverpool fans ffs

United all day long, as I'm a blade, a Yorkshireman , British , European in that order. Historically the English FA have favoured certain teams and regions for little reason despite the achievements of others.
The racism issue is a good example of it being repulsive years ago and fuelled by the English FA inaction. So England to win as it's part of Britain, but Blades 1st.

Anyone who’s English and wants Ireland to win no matter who’s in the team wants there head testing.
Sound like Liverpool fans ffs
Genuinely interested in why you think like that mate preferably without the insults. I’ve already said that united matter to me much more than England and in the case of another team being represented by a number of our players then I’d be wanting them to win.

Don’t really get the Liverpool fan reference

Just as I have the freedom of choice to support the blades, I equally have the choice to not being fussed about the national side.

I didn’t realise that just because you happened to be born in s certain country, it was mandatory to want that country to do well at football, like I said if you have passion for them then that’s okay I’m not knocking your choice. I simply posed the question as to where people’s loyalties would be in the scenario mentioned in the OP.

I’m not trying to be controversial, I’m new on here but that’s really not my style. The last time I got my head tested it was fine by the way 😏

England first and formost, I dont mind seeing Northern Ireland doing well. The Republic of Ireland and Scotland, well let's say if none of our players were involved with them I wouldn't give a toss about them.
Me neither but if we did have representation ?

I know the difference between United losing and England losing. When United lose I seem to go into a mini depression and avoid all football talk on radio, tv newspapers etc. when England lose, or win for that matter, has zero effect on’me

Might be better if England toured the country as some countries do. All feels a bit London centric.

I did forget to mention Sheffield Utd come before England every time.
Interesting that people have looked at their family tree which is something that can bring up some big surprises. I looked into my Family tree my dads side come from the Walsall area, that might explain my taste in music. Having a very rare surname I thought it would be fairly easy to trace but came to a dead end around 1800 in West Bromwich.
My mothers side of the family with a more common name takes me back to the 1500's in Tattershall and Coningsby Lincolnshire probably due to good records being kept by the Holy Trinity Collegiate Church started in 1472 and completed in 1500 at the side of Tattershall castle.

All about opinions mate. I was born and bred in England but have never really had any infinity to the national side especially when it’s been represented by footballers (in the very loose sense of the word) like Jordan bleeding Henderson, a player who only a couple of weeks ago spent most of the game at BDTBL throwing himself to the ground.

Four blades running round the pitch celebrating for ROI whilst players like him are walking off the pitch would be fantastic viewing for me.

Like I said all about opinions

I think that you may mean affinity, not infinity

I did forget to mention Sheffield Utd come before England every time.
Interesting that people have looked at their family tree which is something that can bring up some big surprises. I looked into my Family tree my dads side come from the Walsall area, that might explain my taste in music. Having a very rare surname I thought it would be fairly easy to trace but came to a dead end around 1800 in West Bromwich.
My mothers side of the family with a more common name takes me back to the 1500's in Tattershall and Coningsby Lincolnshire probably due to good records being kept by the Holy Trinity Collegiate Church started in 1472 and completed in 1500 at the side of Tattershall castle.

Funny you should say , seen a very good band last night from Walsall .. never heard of one before

Stone broken very good live , they where supporting Black star riders in Dublin

I'm an England supporter. I've been to hundreds of England away games. They're my International Team. I support them in International Football. That doesn't interfere with my support for Sheffield United. They're my Club Team. I support them in Club Football. I will never have to choose between the two, as they will never play each other.
Obviously as an England supporter, I'm not going to suddenly change to support another International Team (eg Ireland) because some players I like play for them. Equally, I won't suddenly start supporting Liverpool over SUFC because some players I like play for them. Surely everyone on here understands that basic idea of being a football supporter. You choose a team (or a team chooses you) & you stick with them - good, bad, indifferent.

Club first for me.
But no way I would support another country just because they have a blade or two in their side. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Born in England, but have a family background in the ROI. Have always supported England, but have always preferred the ROI football team - due to the comparative lack of bellends playing for them, and the crap in the English media re football. The hype train is nauseating. The Irish fans also being a great atmosphere wherever they go,
too, and don't seem to be associated as much with the bad side of football.
I quite like the current England team and management however. They seem a decent bunch of lads who are giving everything. It was also nice to see the England fans sticking up for the players who were racially abused the other night.

I know the old club v country has been discussed many times on here but let’s say ROI qualify for the euros next year and play England with Stevens, Egan, McGoldrick and Robinson in the Ireland side, who would you want to win? Ireland every day of the week for me folks

I think that's a strange way of thinking tbh - but you're entitled to your opinion. And who will you support the next time they meet, if some or all of these players no longer play for Sheff Utd?

What if England were playing Russia and Russia had three or four Sheff Utd players in their team? Would you be supporting Russia?

If you're not careful you'll be supporting a different country every other week, the way that players move clubs these-days!

I just can't fathom your thinking there mate - sorry. Because there are some things in life that you are and they should never change.

I'm an Englishman and I'll always want England to beat any other country. They could have Sheff Utd's first 11 playing for the other country - and I'd still want England to win. And that's not because I put country before club, not at all. I couldn't give a shit about national football team most of the time. I prefer to watch Sheff Utd over England by a factor of about 437 trillion to 1. But I don't suddenly change my allegiance to my national team because the other country happens to have a few Blades players in it. I'd be looking out for those Blades players and really wanting them to have a good game and impress, but I wouldn't want England to lose.

The fact that England do lose regularly means I don't get too disappointed about it either. But I'm disappointed when the Blades lose - for a while anyway - until I get back home and have another Bovril.

Ireland obviously.

...but only because I'm a bitter sweaty sock with a massive chip on my shoulder.

😙

I was one of the 68,959 supporters in The Millennium Stadium in March 2011 when Wales played my International Team, England. In the 65th minute, Ched Evans (who at that time played for my Club Team, Sheffield United) came on as a Sub for Wales. As my Club Team weren't involved in that match, I booed the fucker to the rafters. As is the correct procedure.

A couple of years ago I was completely apathetic in my feelings towards England. However, the emergence of this new generation under Southgate and last year's World Cup exploits has restored my interest to a level I hadn't felt since Euro 96/France 98. To my surprise, I even cared about the Nations League. I expect this to continue into next year's Euros especially as some of the road show will take place on "home" soil.
In-ger-lund! (Blades always first though obvs)

I'm an England supporter. I've been to hundreds of England away games. They're my International Team. I support them in International Football. That doesn't interfere with my support for Sheffield United. They're my Club Team. I support them in Club Football. I will never have to choose between the two, as they will never play each other.
Obviously as an England supporter, I'm not going to suddenly change to support another International Team (eg Ireland) because some players I like play for them. Equally, I won't suddenly start supporting Liverpool over SUFC because some players I like play for them. Surely everyone on here understands that basic idea of being a football supporter. You choose a team (or a team chooses you) & you stick with them - good, bad, indifferent.

Tell us who's asking you to change ?

Thanks for your comments. I think that’s where my post may start to have been taken a little out of context.

I most certainly don’t change from team to team. I support United and nobody else either at club or national level. You find time and passion to support both united and England whereas I don’t, hence it came down to England v ROI and the Republic had 4 players playing for then then I’d be wanting them to win for their sake and wouldn’t be concerned that the Man Utd, City, Liverpool lot for England had been beaten

Back
Top Bottom