When we played our kids... and beat Rotherham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
On this day in 2014 we played Rotherham, days before the FA Cup Semi Final against Hull. Nigel Clough played a weakened side, we still won thanks to a late penalty from Ben Davies. When looking at the team I was surprised that there were only a few youngsters in the team, the likes of Billy Paynter and Ben Davies certainly can't be considered to be youngsters! Screenshot_20200408_075921_com.android.chrome.jpg

Didn't go to that midweek game but remember it well.

We beat the Rotherham side that went on to win promotion a month or two later in the P/O final against Leyton Orient.

The Clough days went from one extreme to the other at times IMO. Excellent in the Cups but average in the League bar the odd exception such as this game.

EDIT: Think Clough and their manager Evans had a bit of history going back to when they managed in non-league at Burton/Boston. After the game I think Evans moaned that he wished he had Sheffield United's squad depth at Rotherham, to be fair at the time we did have a shit load of players that Clough signed but they were average most of 'em.

Last edited:
I think at the end of the match there were more kids on the pitch due to substitutions.

There was a chant from the kop goading Rotherham at the fact the kids were winning. Can't think how it went.

I think at the end of the match there were more kids on the pitch due to substitutions.

There was a chant from the kop goading Rotherham at the fact the kids were winning. Can't think how it went.
Wasn't it 'We're better than you and we're playing with kids' or something?

We won because of good refereeing: remember who the referee was ?!

I think Mike Reed may be a comedian, but I think it was Mike Dean
There was a Mike Reed who was a ref. Sent off Gannon and Ball in our 1-0 win at Sunderland in March 1991 and reffed our 2-1 win against Man U in the FA Cup in March 1993

1586373835348.png

The Clough days went from one extreme to the other at times IMO. Excellent in the Cups but average in the League bar the odd exception such as this game.

This was during the run he took us from relegation zone to just outside the play offs with a fa cup run too. Not a bad first season to be fair!

This was during the run he took us from relegation zone to just outside the play offs with a fa cup run too. Not a bad first season to be fair!
Really enjoyed those six mon9, obviously overshadowed by Wilder's success but we played some decent football. A pity Clough suffered from brainfart in the summer when it came to his signings.

‘How shit must you be, you’re playing our kids’ wasn’t it?

Last edited:

I'm about 90% sure he actually won the penalty that won us the game?

Yep. He got hauled down from a corner, Mike Dean pulled him and the Rotherham defender over to warn anything further happens and he'll give a foul. Lo and behold, Harry hits the deck again from the retaken corner, and gets a penalty.

A great night, we had a 3 month period with Clough in charge where we looked a right team (both Cup runs and league).

We went and were sat in South Stand as usual and for me it was G & H block - which were goading the Rotherham fans all game.

the song went:

We're playing our kids
We're playing our kidssssss
You must be so shit
We're playing our kids.

It was very loud and also very funny.

opposition fans normally have some sort of riposte to songs like that - except Toytown didn't.

There's not a lot could be said that night other than our kids played very well - Evans was doing his usual nut in the dugout - deserves to be in the twats section.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom