When did our fans become big time

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’ve not seen any toxic reactions. A benefit of not having Twitter or Facebook.
I do go on Twitter, but I’ve not seen owt either. Poor game, we barely had to get out of second gear to dominate it... but a win’s a win, job done and we’re in the hat. Bowl. Whatever.

He's talking about me, once again, readers.

Me. Pommpey. Me, me, me ... ME!

Then he accuses my posts of being all about ... ME!

pommpey (me)
If its your take on games of course its about you. You point out all our short cominvs every game in minute detail.
What's missing is balance . We have won 6 of our last 9 games with 3 narrow defeats to 3 of the countries top 6.
Yet there's not one item I've read of yours that offers any positives.
Do you live on a one way street as it's coming from somwhere
I am positive but do criticise Norwood for being piss poor just now and Brewster for not showing us anything yet and try and get some balance in whats happening.
All tv commentators and ex pro pundits are seeing an up swing in our performance yet you only see what's wrong

Last edited:
The funny thing is the doom mongers were predicting Bristol City would beat us a few weeks ago, I bet some of the same people are now slagging us off for not hammering them.

We played ok but are not creating enough chances which is the story of the season, they never really looked like they were going to score all game. We looked a lot worse when Norwood came on, Lowe worries me but I like Bogle, he's up and down all game appearing in all sorts of positions, Brewster looks very poor I just hope it's confidence he needs.

Last night I was a bit embarrassed, but totally changed my opinion this morning.

Great result at home to an injury hit team from a lower league with 10 men in poor form. Pretty ecstatic we even got one goal actually.
And we're not an injury hit team in poor form? The OP is correct.

Like I said in Shoutbox ,going into the New Year would you have taken 6 wins out of 9 , quarter finals of the cup and only be beaten by Man City Chelsea and Spurs ?
Losing to Spurs and Chelsea unacceptable :)

We controlled the game and won without really kicking into top gear.

We Kept a clean sheet and restricted their chances to a minimum.

Wasn’t vintage and was lacking in creativity and key chances - but they matched our system and played 5 at the back for much of the game.

I just don’t see that that equates to we will be scuffing around unable to beat mid table sides next year. Context has much to do with how performances are viewed...

If that was next year and a result keeping us in the play off hunt it would have been described as a ‘professional’ performance where we did what was required to win like proper challengers. But Because of the season as a whole every negative is being magnified and we are ‘crap’.

All of a sudden we have become big time supporters it seems on here. We now expect to hammer teams like little old Bristol City.

Next season in the championship if we go in with this mentality that we are the big boys of the league and demand we beat mid table championship teams by 7 we are in big trouble.

If Bristol City did a view from they would be laughing at what our fan base has become.

Last year we were very critical of opposition fans.

So when for you did you change big time and why?

I see the sentiment of your post seems very popular, but I have to disagree.

I think it's a bit of a small-time mentality to not adjust your expectations to align with where we're actually at as a club.
I expect more from a Senior colleague at work, than I would a Junior.
I would equally expect more from Premier League Sheffield United than I would League 1 Sheffield United. That's not me being big time, it's accepting that we've spent a lot of money in the last few transfer windows and should now be on a different level to an out-of-form team in the division below.

I'm not advocating going full on 1990s Sheffield Wednesday & pretending we're everybody's Cup Final & calling our opposition "tinpot," but I think it's reasonable to expect more from our players who we have spent a lot of money on & are paying big money to (relative to Bristol City).

If its your take on games of course its about you. You point out all our short cominvs every game in minute detail.
What's missing is balance . We have won 6 of our last 9 games with 3 narrow defeats to 3 of the countries top 6.
Yet there's not one item I've read of yours that offers any positives.
Do you live on a one way street as it's coming from somwhere
I am positive but do criticise Norwood for being piss poor just now and Brewster for not showing us anything yet and try and get some balance in whats happening.
All tv commentators and ex pro pundits are seeing an up swing in our performance yet you only see what's wrong

But the comments are exactly that. About me.

Some critics are courteous enough to disagree with comments about the game. I appreciate that. I might not agree with their counterargument, but at least the argument isn't about 'me'. His tack is to appear in 'My take ... ' and anyone who is anything less than his measure of satisfied with the performance is a 'toxic supporter'. It's as bad as saying 'if you don't have an upbeat outlook that agrees with mine, then you aren't a Sheff Utd supporter'. It's as narrow minded and frankly arrogant as you can get. As I have said before, if Foxy and Lindz ran this place like that, then it would be an eternal parade of the emperors new clothes, with certain members clapping a naked Sheffield United team. Its a forum. There are toxic elements on both sides of the argument, but the subject is Sheffield United, on-field and off-field, the football club, it's business and and the team and their matches (specifically so with 'My take ... ') not the nature of people's character. As said, some are intelligent enough to know this and not turn posts like 'My take .... ' into a slagging match. I will say this however, I reserve the right in my threads to respond accordingly, especially to personalised abuse.

You state that there is not one item which offers positives. So my comments on Egan, McGoldrick, Ampadu and Basham aren't positive highlights in a game we barely scraped a winner through a VAR penalty? Did you actually read it all, or just pick out the bad bits?

pommpey

in a game we barely scraped a winner through a VAR penalty?

pommpey

Would have been a goal from open play had the defender not redirected it with his hand
We hit the woodwork twice and created 14 chances was hardly scraped through.
We achieved what was neccesary and won by some distance as Ramsdale was not required to do anything second half
One of his easiest career clean sheets

Would have been a goal from open play had the defender not redirected it with his hand
We hit the woodwork twice and created 14 chances was hardly scraped through.
We achieved what was neccesary and won by some distance as Ramsdale was not required to do anything second half
One of his easiest career clean sheets

"We won by a single goal against the ten men of a team quite some way below us in the league structure."

You dropped this.

pommpey

"We won by a single goal against the ten men of a team quite some way below us in the league structure."

You dropped this.

pommpey
They only have themselves to blame for having 10 men . The rules state only keepers can punch the ball off target
They currently are 10 behind us on the league ladder. We are further behind Aston villa
Bristol had also won on their last 3 visits

This season I've learned that a large proportion of this club's fanbase are the sort of people who would crawl on hands and knees for miles through the Sahara desert, dying of thirst, only to whinge when they were given Evian instead of San Pellegrino.
Twats.

I see the sentiment of your post seems very popular, but I have to disagree.

I think it's a bit of a small-time mentality to not adjust your expectations to align with where we're actually at as a club.
I expect more from a Senior colleague at work, than I would a Junior.
I would equally expect more from Premier League Sheffield United than I would League 1 Sheffield United. That's not me being big time, it's accepting that we've spent a lot of money in the last few transfer windows and should now be on a different level to an out-of-form team in the division below.

I'm not advocating going full on 1990s Sheffield Wednesday & pretending we're everybody's Cup Final & calling our opposition "tinpot," but I think it's reasonable to expect more from our players who we have spent a lot of money on & are paying big money to (relative to Bristol City).
I expected Man City to thrash Cheltenham. I expected Leeds to batter Crawley,West Ham to crush Stockport,Wolves to pummel Chorley. Is it Football or human expectation that is a tad unrealistic because human behaviour defies logic, regularly. Just a thought.

I expected Man City to thrash Cheltenham. I expected Leeds to batter Crawley,West Ham to crush Stockport,Wolves to pummel Chorley. Is it Football or human expectation that is a tad unrealistic because human behaviour defies logic, regularly. Just a thought.

Regularly, maybe. But more times than not Man City would thrash Cheltenham - that is a realistic expectation.
On the times that they don't, their fans would be right to assert that the performance didn't meet expectations.
The same applies to us with Bristol City last night - though obviously on a reduced scale.

Regularly, maybe. But more times than not Man City would thrash Cheltenham - that is a realistic expectation.
On the times that they don't, their fans would be right to assert that the performance didn't meet expectations.
The same applies to us with Bristol City last night - though obviously on a reduced scale.
I'm not convinced you can be that objective. Praps we'll beg to differ on this one.😉
I've become practiced at largely kerbing my expectations as a Blade. Been a funny old season and can't wait to get back to BDBL.😊

Everyone is glad we won and disappointed that we didn't play better/create more chances.

That's about it
Just what I would have put. The score line was not the issue, it was the manner of the performance. They were down to ten men at one point as well and we didn't/couldn't take the game away from them.

Let's be honest all fan bases are / have:

Arrogance
Entitlement
Delusions of grandeur
Fair share of scrotes and scumbags
Keyboard warriors
Rose tinted specs
Fickle fans
Fair weather fans
Die hard fans
Toxic
Over reactions
Irrational
Rational
Expectations
Cynicism
Etc etc

I genuinely believe every fan base in the country is virtually the same, we are no better or worse than any other club really (including the unwashed from the Sty)

Current reactions to the plight we are in would be mirrored in virtually every fan base in the land.

All of a sudden we have become big time supporters it seems on here. We now expect to hammer teams like little old Bristol City.

Next season in the championship if we go in with this mentality that we are the big boys of the league and demand we beat mid table championship teams by 7 we are in big trouble.

If Bristol City did a view from they would be laughing at what our fan base has become.

Last year we were very critical of opposition fans.

So when for you did you change big time and why?

I’ve seen it all now.
Go and support Sheffield FC

You dropped this.

pommpey

Quite some way below us?

Bristol city aren’t some ‘scuffers’ from league 1/2. They are what 10 places below us and have a relatively expensively assembled championship squad with some decent players in it. And they have been top of the championship this season

I’d argue they stand at least as good a chance of being in the PL next season as we do through the play offs and they never laid a glove on us even before the sending off....

wasn’t vintage football or performance but in sub zero conditions we did more than enough to get through. Would have been nice to score some more obviously but think wilder knows that needs to be a priority in the summer to replace some of what Duffy used to bring.

I turned big time when I put a bet on us to reach the Champs League during the first lockdown - fookin stupid now looking back! 😂

There are now about twice as many posts about the fans' reaction to the game as there are about the game itself.

Although we weren’t great last night, I don’t think Bristol even made us think we had to be to beat them. Playing “shite“ and dominating a game in regards to possession is a good sign. However to add balance, it’s a shame we didn’t score in open play, and when people say well Bristol only had one decent chance and fucked it up, they need to remember how many games this season we have lost by a single goal and then come on here talking about fine margins preventing us from picking up a result of some sort.

To predict that our starting eleven, formation and tactical approach next season will be the same as this seasons is a fools errand. Other Than Newcastle and the other FA cup games when have we been allowed the majority of possession, the lads up front are just out of touch because they so used to running around in the own half.

I agree that the overreaction and self-entitlement is embarrassing. But I think there's validity in people questioning why we didn't make our control of the game count more (it's been a theme all season and has cost us!).

Exactly, this has not been an issue just against Bristol. It was an issue against Chelsea and other teams. We don't hurt teams enough when we are on top during a match.

Not if you read some of the bile on other threads Carlton
You're talking bollocks, there's literally one bloke who was pissed up who said it was embarrassing, That's it.

Exactly, this has not been an issue just against Bristol. It was an issue against Chelsea and other teams. We don't hurt teams enough when we are on top during a match.
West Brom away, the epitome of this.

We need to be ruthless.

Back
Top Bottom