What's your attitude to FA and League Cup in 2019/20?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

See where we are January, if we are looking comfortable mid table have a go at it.

If we are in a relegation scrap it’s low priority.

This. At least one of them. Not bothered about winning both this season but if we don't win at least one, I'll be really pissed off. Might start supporting Man City instead if we can't sort this out.

No really, I think we should at least try and compete in one of the cups
There's a danger if we get off to a slow start, that our fist X1 will be pretty knackered by the time the first cup games come around. Chance for back up players to shine and earn a start in the league perhaps?

Depends where we are in the league, if we are fighting relegation, as we will be, ignore them, if by some fluke we’re not, go for it

Now the no1 target of top flight status has been achieved we should start to be looking to get serious about the cups. Maybe not so much the first year but if we draw lower league opposition make sure we put out a strong enough side to win.

With Wilder in charge I really think over the next few years we could actually win the odd cup.

You mean ........

go to Wemberlee ..........

and WIN????????

Win the League Cup and shut up that lot in S6.

Not a bad 11 depending on who's performing in the first team.

Moore

Jags-Stearman-Bryan

Freeman-Lundstram-Slater-(Youngster)

Duffy

Sharp/McGoldrick/Robinson/Mousset/(New striker)

I’m on the whole disappointed whenever we play a weakened team in the FA Cup (less so League Cup) but we need to be sensible about it. If we’re hovering around the relegation zone, have several players out injured already, then obviously it would be a bit negligent to stick a full strength team out. If we’re looking comfortable (or, perish the thought, rock bottom) then we can probably afford to go for it a bit more. We’ll be in a far better position to judge come the FA Cup 3rd round about what the level of risk is in sticking a full-strength team in.

It’s a funny one really. For me, staying up this season is far too important for the distraction that cup runs bring. I’d rather we establish our PL status first.

However on the other hand, Birmingham and Wigan both won cups recently but were relegated the same season. If you asked their fans if they’d trade that cup win for another season in the PL, would they want to? I doubt it - even though neither of them have been in the top flight since.

league cup im not bothered if we do well great if not don't mind. but we must be in 5th round of the fa cup. just for the momentum of the club because they fixtures panned out playing Watford man city twice liverpool & arsenal, we could be without a win in 6 going into February worst case scenario. & huge pressure on west ham on 10th jan. whereas win the fa cup games & win gives confidence we might get a better chance of victory v West Ham

It’s 8 less games than the Championship in the PL. no real excuse not to put out a squad and have a proper go at going as far as possible.

The FA cup has given us some great moments so anything else than going at it 100% wouldn't be United. Wilder will hopefully feel the same.

Consider the opposition and put out a side string enough to win.

I’m sure Wilder will generally play a string side but will give priority to the league
So certain essential players will be rested.

We got to the semi finals of both when starting two rounds earlier in league one.

In the premier league we have very few midweek games so the league cup would be fun to have a go in.

It’s a funny one really. For me, staying up this season is far too important for the distraction that cup runs bring. I’d rather we establish our PL status first.

However on the other hand, Birmingham and Wigan both won cups recently but were relegated the same season. If you asked their fans if they’d trade that cup win for another season in the PL, would they want to? I doubt it - even though neither of them have been in the top flight since.

Portsmouth also, although probably not relegated same season

Realistically these cups represent our only chance of winning anything. Staying in the Premier League would be good for the club but winning a cup would be great for the fans.

As an aside, are our U23's in the Checkatrade Trophy? Are we "allowed" to win that?

Personally...if I had the choice between winning the FA Cup (not the LC, it's shit) and being relegated, or going out in R3 and finishing 17th, I'd take the cup win.

Nobody remembers who just stayed up. Everyone remembers the cup winners. Plus the money from a (probably brief) European adventure, combined with parachute payments, should allow us to have a serious tilt at bouncing back first time.

And it'd also be great to be able to one-up the great deluded masses across the city to say we've actually won something, thus removing their imagined superiority from having won the league cup almost 30 years ago...

As an aside, are our U23's in the Checkatrade Trophy? Are we "allowed" to win that?

In an earlier thread someone asked the same question.

The reply was PL clubs are only allowed to enter a U23 team if their Academies are a certain status/ level.

Apparently our Academy hasn’t been given this status, so we’re aren’t allowed to enter a team.
Although Wilder has said that he’s hoping that our Academy will receive investment to be massively upgraded to PL levels.

Couldn't care less about winning the cups, at the moment, if I tried.

We've got training ground improvments along with squad and stadium improvements that all need paying for, only one way to do that.

Once we're established then we should look at having a good go at the cups, preferably the FA league cup is shite.

League cup is and always has been shite.
Wish they'd scrap it.
FA cup if we have 25 points around Xmas have a thrash at it. Only 38 league games so only 6 more wins to win it

Couldn't care less about winning the cups, at the moment, if I tried.

We've got training ground improvments along with squad and stadium improvements that all need paying for, only one way to do that.

Once we're established then we should look at having a good go at the cups, preferably the FA league cup is shite.
Yes, if we can get established in the PL I’d like us to take the cups seriously but the likelihood of actually winning one is only a bit higher than the likelihood of winning the PL.

This season we can only have a single priority: staying up.

It's our only realistic chance of winning anything, surely both cups should be important

It's our only realistic chance of winning anything, surely both cups should be important
In the last twenty years only two clubs not in the top six have won the FA Cup. The EFL Cup is a bit better with five clubs not in the top six winning it. (This is the current top six). The last time was 2013 (Swansea).

So whilst it’s possible, it’s very difficult.

Be nice to see us in a final at Wembley, and to win the prem, I'm only 40 so there's time yet!!

Back
Top Bottom