What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hodgyman

Reaction score
Seeing the comment box comments got me thinking about the coldest match that I have ever watched the Blades play. For me, it would be a close run thing between two mid-week away matches. The first a game at the old Scunthorpe ground (early '80s) and against (the old) Wimledon when they ground shared with Crystal Palace in the early 2000's. It was that cold on both occasions I have just shivered at the recollection (true).

Fulham away one Boxing Day circa 1979 and Watford away probably early 80s in the FA Cup, we got trounced. There was a left winger we wanted to buy, who was at the match who decided against joining us on the strength of our performance, name like Callaghan. Come on Silent help me out.

Fulham away one Boxing Day circa 1979 and Watford away probably early 80s in the FA Cup, we got trounced. There was a left winger we wanted to buy, who was at the match who decided against joining us on the strength of our performance, name like Callaghan. Come on Silent help me out.

Agree with the Watford FA Cup game. 3rd round in January and a good following, it was freezing. Lost 5-0 I think and the winger might have been Nigel Callaghan.

Nothing surely is colder than Derby away in 2004, I think it was -7. Plus we were crap that day.
Wore three pairs of socks, two t shirts and two jumpers, a woolly hat and gloves plus my winter coat but still cold for me! Ice all over on the walk from train station to the ground

I can't remember the game but I was sat on the lower tier of the Bramall Lane stand (when is was open to home fans?) and all that I can remember was it was the coldest football game I have ever been to! :(

Playing Preston at home a few years ago, the match was terrible and we won 1-0 when a Jamie Ward cross from a free kick went straight in. That was bloody freezing, not helped by the complete lack of entertainment.

I remember a boxing day game at Bradford where it was bloody freezing. Vale away a couple of years ago (also boxing day) was bloody cold too. Also remember a 0-2 home defeat against Wigan, think Ellington scored for them, that was a cold, windy day when snow was blowing into the kop.

Arsenal away 31 January 1976. Stood on the away end at Highbury with probably fewer than 100 other Blades fans. Thankfully I'd taken two hip flasks that day.

Crewe Alexandra at BDTBL on a Friday night, bit chilly.

On a personal note, I've decided when the yellow ball starts being used, that's when i'll not be going 'Commando'.
Am I right in thinking that this was a televised encounter and we drew 0:0??
I vaguely remember sitting in the Birley waiting for my lift thinking I hope this fuckers called off!!

Arsenal away 31 January 1976. Stood on the away end at Highbury with probably fewer than 100 other Blades fans. Thankfully I'd taken two hip flasks that day.
I remember TC telling my dad outside the players entrance after the match that he was going to ask for a transfer. The Green Un headline that night was TC and Woody asking to be transferlisted

Mansfield Town late eighties,, Tuesday night game,, think it was when Brian Smith had his leg broken.. snow was coming down sideways.

Yep. That was the one. We won 1-0 with a pen. Half time the pigs wouldn`t let us on the terrace concourse to escape the elements as they wanted to put their horses there. Never been nearly that cold before or since.

Home to Swansea in December during our Championship relegation season, the southern half of the country had been cut off by Snow but Sheffield had largely escaped so the game went ahead even though almost no Swansea fans where able to get there.

Gary Speed had just resigned and we won one nil, and it was bitterly, bitterly cold. The following week we appointed Mickey Adams and didn't win again until almost Easter. Bleak memories.

Me and my boy went to Forest away - think they had just come up from the 3rd tier (haha.....just where we are now) and think we played in January on a Tuesday evening.

Drew 1 -1 from memory, think Morgs scored............and it was bloody cold by 10 pm!

I distinctly remember seeing Wes Morgan playing at CH for Forest and thinking "what a fucking donkey".................and then he wins a Premiership winners medal with Leicester. Just goes to show if you work hard enough............

UTB

Burnley at home in the 60's. Blackman was in goal for Burnley I think. In those days the goalies wore track suit bottoms, I think the lines on the pitch had to be cleared to see them from the frost.

Genuinely no idea. As the years have passed clothes seem to have got better. When I think of the coats in the eighties they weren't a patch on the bastard I've got now. I'm sure that a lot of the games I went to and felt freezing would have been fine with my massive coat and my Blades hat. And proper gloves, not those fingerless ones we used to wear. DMs still the best for standing on cold concrete though.

Newcastle away 24th November 1993, think it was a Wednesday night, freezing fog there and back. Car park sheet of ice went arse over tit, great take away chinese meal, good craic in pubs with Geordies, Hammered 4-0 ,as Bassett would have said lucky to get 0, kept in ground and had snowballs lobed at us Happy Days

This one without doubt.

I witnessed a fellow Blade in the bogs at HT running hot water in to his trainers. I kid you not.
Trainers? If you go out in that weather in trainers your feet are going to get very cold. I can accept that he might not understand the cooling effect of evaporation but surely everyone knows trainers aren't suitable for sub-Arctic conditions?

Back
Top Bottom