What was the atmosphere like? ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sounds like people who can't be arsed to try and get a ticket
You shouldn't have told them they couldn't as they quite clearly could if they'd bothered to ring or email the club
They’d made other plans after my initial response. What’s so wrong with that? They aren’t super fans, or super bothered. Nobody with zero points is.

You asked for an example, and I gave you one. Please stop digging. ;)

Yep, next door neighbour wanted 3. I told him he couldn’t go, and he made other plans. By the time the point requirement wasn’t needed it was too late. Classic day tripper, all three could become Blades but won’t.

I’m asked at work regularly, and
people now have just stopped asking.

The fair way is to drop the points requirement 5 days before, and to publicise it. Or to sell extras to season ticket holders. It’s really not rocket science, and it’s what the club will do in a few games time when they realise they’ve fucked up.
You've given them bad advice unfortunately.
If they register, and get a ticket for the cup game against Blackburn (which is bargain at £10) they be able to go to virtually any home game they want. Simple enough.

You've given them bad advice unfortunately.
If they register, and get a ticket for the cup game against Blackburn (which is bargain at £10) they be able to go to virtually any home game they want. Simple enough.
Not simple enough for these three in question, who didn’t want to go to the Blackburn game, and didn’t end up paying over £100 to the club. They aren’t alone.

I accept that those who are “really bothered” can get tickets. It’s not my point, and doesn’t need addressing.

Last edited:
Not simple enough for these three in question, who didn’t pay £100 to the club. They aren’t alone.

I accept that those who are “really bothered” can get tickets. It’s not my point, and doesn’t need addressing.
What do you suggest as the solution?

What do you suggest as the solution?
Said it above.

I’d actually just remove the point requirement nearer the game, and accept the 50 away fans who’d sit on their hands and keep quiet. It was never an enormous issue years ago, when trouble was much more prevalent.

But for a more “safe” way, I’d allow season ticket holders to buy more than one ticket.

It got more than a little heated in BLUT when two Leicester fans cheered each of their players announced,albeit half heartedly. They were advised in no uncertain terms to go join their own downstairs.
How or why they got their tickets there they would not admit to. One of them claimed he was neutral. Sure pal. :rolleyes:

Anyway they remained quietly resolute until they scored,remaining quiet but becoming the focus of attention of one Blade who was giving them the death stare and events might have escalated. By this point I thought it best to point them out to the Stewards,a, so the youngsters around were not put off coming ever again by any violence they might have witnessed,and b, to save their own skins. They were promptly removed and ejected from the ground.

I kindly advised them their decision to come on an away end was misguided but having done so, don't make it known who you are and expect indifference from some passionate beer filled locals who reach boiling point quicker than most. I think they were guilty of naivety rather than inciteful, age and immaturity the contributing factor.

I think it still worth the Ticket office investigating to see why/how away fans are able to come by home seats with the measures there are in place. Learning curve for them and not infallible, but I will share my story with them.

I never condone violence and the less opportunity for it, ,particularly where very young kids are, the better do we think?

I went to the Globe afterwards and drank with a few Leicester fans. Had some great banter and they were decent guys full of genuine praise for us, despite one of them receiving a punch from some cowardly dickhead as they were leaving the ground. The said dickhead ran off, having left a small lump on the fella's cheekbone.

But the whole montage of the days events were topped off nicely by meeting Lunny's parents and sister. What lovely down to earth people they are. We were all disappointed that Schmeichel's worldy denied Lunny his second of the season. He confirmed that Duff asked for an extension, nothing more.

Can't wait to see what else the season throws up. Bring on the Blackburn and a chance to see the B team. Guess the atmos will be less vibrant. UTB
Sat in the home end at lots of grounds and barring one moment of madness at Anfield have managed to keep my true allegiance secret.
It’s hard but not impossible especially if you’d
a. Like to see all the match and
b. Like to stay in one piece

Said it above.

I’d actually just remove the point requirement nearer the game, and accept the 50 away fans who’d sit on their hands and hero quiet.

But for a more “safe” way, I’d allow season ticket holders to buy more than one ticket.
Well, liverpool away tickets for the Lane are selling at £270 now. I dont think the few hundred scousers or West Ham fans on the blut would be sat on their hands.
It might not make lifelong Blades of the day trippers who end up sitting next to them and enduring the consequences of that.
A sensible , workable, safe suggestion is needed.

Sounds like people who can't be arsed to try and get a ticket
You shouldn't have told them they couldn't as they quite clearly could if they'd bothered to ring or email the club

We ain't gonna agree on this but it shouldn't be about fans 'who can't be arsed', but United not being able to maximise revenue by making ticket-buying as easy as possible. We're in the entertainment industry, and at the very top end of the price structure.

Going to the cinema? 'That'll be £40, please. Oh and you'll have to be on our database, have loyalty points and come down/book online before the event. If not, try a couple of hours before the film starts. What's that? You've decided to do something else as it's just too much hassle? Can't say I blame you.'

Well, liverpool away tickets for the Lane are selling at £270 now. I dont think the few hundred scousers or West Ham fans on the blut would be sat on their hands.
It might not make lifelong Blades of the day trippers who end up sitting next to them and enduring the consequences of that.
A sensible , workable, safe suggestion is needed.
There will be zero problem selling tickets for those games under the current system, so again, it wouldn’t be a problem.

They’d made other plans after my initial response. What’s so wrong with that? They aren’t super fans, or super bothered. Nobody with zero points is.

You asked for an example, and I gave you one. Please stop digging. ;)
Maybe we could send the team.bus round their house and pick them up on match day if using modern day new fangled inventions like the telephone or the internet are too much trouble
;)

The loyalty points thing is crackers once it goes to the second or third day of general sale and its not selling out. As long as someone is registered before the last game then what's the issues letting them buy a ticket. There might be the odd away fan that decides to register in advance to get a ticket at the Lane but not many. We need to get new fans watching us that want to come now we're promoted. Yes they might be glory fans but some will just be young un's that want to attend and can't because of this loyalty points system which isn't needed as I say when its the third day of general sale and beyond.

Too much like common sense though

We ain't gonna agree on this but it shouldn't be about fans 'who can't be arsed', but United not being able to maximise revenue by making ticket-buying as easy as possible. We're in the entertainment industry, and at the very top end of the price structure.

Going to the cinema? 'That'll be £40, please. Oh and you'll have to be on our database, have loyalty points and come down/book online before the event. If not, try a couple of hours before the film starts. What's that? You've decided to do something else as it's just too much hassle? Can't say I blame you.'
Maybe we should have capped season tickets and prioritised people who sort of fancy going to the game but not enough that they will take 5 minutes out of their day to buy a ticket after all these are the future of the club and all those people who've been going year in year out when we've been shit are holding back from attracting these super fans

This has been done to death on the other thread.
Having completely general sale when the away end is sold out is a recipe for disaster and won't happen.
For Palace, who didn't sell out, you could buy them, just needed to be registered. No points needed. It was poorly advertised, was the only problem.
In terms of this thread - 'atmosphere' , the people who cant get tickets on these requirements won't add to the atmosphere.

Disagree, there a Portsmouth fan at work who has asked me to buy him a ticket for the Southampton match near to where I sit on the Kop.

He refuses to register on our system and just wants a one-off ticket to support us against his arch rivals.

I’m waiting until a day or two before the match to see if I can get one on my season ticket but this confusion doesn’t help. If I leave it too late he might find something else to do.

In the PL there’s loads of extra interest but we are stopping those fans/ neutrals that want to dip their toes in watching us. If the ground was full then fair enough but it does seem weird when people want to come but can’t.

There will be zero problem selling tickets for those games under the current system, so again, it wouldn’t be a problem.
That's right. The current system is 200 points if away end sold out, zero points if it isn't. That's sorted.

When I went to the cinema there were no pissed up Batman fans giving it large, running the Spiderman lads outside though.

Disagree, there a Portsmouth fan at work who has asked me to buy him a ticket for the Southampton match near to where I sit on the Kop.

He refuses to register on our system and just wants a one-off ticket to support us against his arch rivals.

I’m waiting until a day or two before the match to see if I can get one on my season ticket but this confusion doesn’t help. If I leave it too late he might find something else to do.

In the PL there’s loads of extra interest but we are stopping those fans/ neutrals that want to dip their toes in watching us. If the ground was full then fair enough but it does seem weird when people want to come but can’t.
Tell him to phone, register, buy a ticket for Blackburn - then he might be able to hand over the £35 in a few weeks time. 😂

Alternatively, explain that he isn’t a fervent Blade, and his custom isn’t wanted. :(

That's right. The current system is 200 points if away end sold out, zero points if it isn't. That's sorted.

So that means the guy at my work can’t come. I’ve already told him I doubt I’ll be able to get him a ticket. He was surprised that we are putting up barriers.

Wonder what other clubs do in the PL? As I’ve said I’m only checked Leicester and they allow all season tickets holders up to 4 weeks to buy extra tickets. Then 2 weeks before a match any left go on general sale with the requirement being you must be in their database and have attended 1 home or away match.

Why can’t we do the same as Leicester?

Tell him to phone, register, buy a ticket for Blackburn - then he might be able to hand over the £35 in a few weeks time. 😂

Alternatively, explain that he isn’t a fervent Blade, and his custom isn’t wanted. :(

He won’t register....just wants a ticket. I’ve told him he probably can’t come....he didn’t seem that bothered, he just thought it would be a novelty to support another team when playing Southampton.

He won’t register....just wants a ticket. I’ve told him he probably can’t come....he didn’t seem that bothered, he just thought it would be a novelty to support another team when playing Southampton.
No, I get it. I was just joking about how daft the current system is.

Sat in the home end at lots of grounds and barring one moment of madness at Anfield have managed to keep my true allegiance secret.
It’s hard but not impossible especially if you’d
a. Like to see all the match and
b. Like to stay in one piece
I had one once myself. Away fans sellout at Pride Park, missed our goal arriving 15 mins late,put on my best Kiwi visitor accent and went in the home end. It was Paddy's fault for saving the penalty engendering my stifled cheer when I remembered where I was. Two young uns in front of me turned round and probably thought, old fuckers not worth it. :D I had my girlfriend with me too so mebbe that swayed the odds.

So that means the guy at my work can’t come. I’ve already told him I doubt I’ll be able to get him a ticket. He was surprised that we are putting up barriers.

Wonder what other clubs do in the PL? As I’ve said I’m only checked Leicester and they allow all season tickets holders up to 4 weeks to buy extra tickets. Then 2 weeks before a match any left go on general sale with the requirement being you must be in their database and have attended 1 home or away match.

Why can’t we do the same as Leicester?
We do do the same!
That's what 200 points means. Registering gets you 150, a home ticket gets you 100.

Back
Top Bottom