What is VAR for?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
Apologies if that has been posted elsewhere, and for the blurry screenshot.

VAR seems to be being used to enforce laws that didn't exist before - balls accidentally deflecting off people's arms - but is ignoring blatant breaches of existing laws.

Winning this header over Egan by climbing all over him when the ball then went straight to Barnes for the volley. There's only one possible reason that Egan hasn't left the ground and that is that he is being pushed down.

Barnes Goal.jpg

VAR seems to be being used to enforce laws that didn't exist before - balls accidentally deflecting off people's arms - but is ignoring blatant breaches of existing laws.

Winning this header over Egan by climbing all over him when the ball then went straight to Barnes for the volley. There's only one possible reason that Egan hasn't left the ground and that is that he is being pushed down.

View attachment 60326
I saw that as it happened mate he was allover him I said to people round me at the time free kick to us but they were all drooling over the finish

I did see him leap like a salmon and thought how the hell did he get that high.....well that answers that then and goal should not have stood.

View attachment 60326

From that image I would say why is Norwood ball watching and who the fuck is covering the 3 Leicester players on the edge of the box?

Yeah CW mentioned it in the interview they werent happy that VAR was not brought into play to busy looking at the wonder goal. There was also that incident when a player (cant remember who) clearly got pushed in the back and went down in the box and nothing was looked at.

Yeah CW mentioned it in the interview they werent happy that VAR was not brought into play to busy looking at the wonder goal. There was also that incident when a player (cant remember who) clearly got pushed in the back and went down in the box and nothing was looked at.

Not surprising that VAR is on blink when it comes to our matches so far.

Every incident is reviewed. My arse they are.

Have to agree with that - if it had been Egan that had both hands on an attacker I'm sure a penalty would have been given.

Does the VAR work at the Lane? At Bournemouth the screen kept showing when incidents were being looked at. At the Lane all the screen does is wish Happy 50th Birthday to Uncle Bob. Has there been a single review flaggd up on the screen at the Lane or is VAR simply not for he likes of us?

Does the VAR work at the Lane? At Bournemouth the screen kept showing when incidents were being looked at. At the Lane all the screen does is wish Happy 50th Birthday to Uncle Bob. Has there been a single review flaggd up on the screen at the Lane or is VAR simply not for he likes of us?

Our screen is still struggling with Ceefax.

What's on the big screen is irrelevant. They check the VAR on their monitors and radio the ref.

VAR is fucking shit.

1566681518878.png

Screenshot 2019-08-24 at 21.49.36.png

It would be nice to be told when they are looking at something. It would add to the match experience for me.
I think they only put a VAR logo up on the big screen when there is a delay to a decision, or during a decision being overuled.
Otherwise the game is supposed to flow as if the var wasn't there.
If we've got to have it, I don't want everything on the screen being re-run and under the microscope.

I think they only put a VAR logo up on the big screen when there is a delay to a decision, or during a decision being overuled.
If we've got to have it, I don't want everything on the screen being re-run and under the microscope.

But then where would the adverts for Maggie May's be shown?

At Bournemouth it was on the screen whilst play was going on. At least you know they are looking if they flag it up.

I hadnt noticed the "foul" but after having a look on MOTD again, Egan should have appealed and then that could make the ref ask for VAR assistance.

I hadnt noticed the "foul" but after having a look on MOTD again, Egan should have appealed and then that could make the ref ask for VAR assistance.

At the time I thought it had been a poor defensive header. Afterwards I realised the Leicester player had dubiously won the header. I think VAR does check every goal that's scored, so I imagine they must have looked at it and decided there was " no clear and obvious error" - it's still all a matter of opinion though.

At the time I thought it had been a poor defensive header. Afterwards I realised the Leicester player had dubiously won the header. I think VAR does check every goal that's scored, so I imagine they must have looked at it and decided there was " no clear and obvious error" - it's still all a matter of opinion though.
The VAR assistant must have thought "if Egan didnt appeal then it cant be a foul"

From that image I would say why is Norwood ball watching and who the fuck is covering the 3 Leicester players on the edge of the box?
Good point. We can talk about the finish all we want (unbelievable) but the lad had time to take it down and shoot if he really wanted. Not good enough.

The VAR assistant must have thought "if Egan didnt appeal then it cant be a foul"
[/QUOTE

When it comes to scoring goals, VAR is very ambiguous. In a different scenario if the ball had brushed past a Leicester player's arm prior to the volley, the goal would have been disallowed.

The ref was waiting for instruction after our goal. He told the players to wait before going to the centre circle and stood touching his earpiece for a while.

I was waiting for it to be ruled out.

Good point. We can talk about the finish all we want (unbelievable) but the lad had time to take it down and shoot if he really wanted. Not good enough.
Time to take it down and shoot?
He half volleyed a worldie on the drop. Absolute belter of a finish that Hendo didn’t see until he heard it smack into the back of the net.
I hadn’t noticed the climb in Eagan from our view on the kop.
Could quite easily have been given as a foul.

If the ref said he saw it and deemed it not a foul then they wouldn’t look to overrule.
They have been quite clear as to what will and what won’t be looked at and what they’re trying to get away from is the ref running over to the halfway line to have another look.

Back
Top Bottom