What I like about Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CW has a big call on Friday. Sharp or Brooks. Sharp was great yesterday, but Clarke and Brooks were awesome together in a similar game at Hillsborough.

What l like and admire most from the CW regime is that he has built a squad of 20+ players that are all classed as our team. It isn't the case of a first team and others that just fill in for injuries, suspensions etc. All of the players in the squad realise that any success that they achieve is a shared success.

Different players that we have realise that they each bring something different to achieve success in different circumstances against different opposition types. They all have a significant contribution to make and realise that our team selections have be horses for courses with the added bonus that we can change shape or styles of play if the situation arises. This obviously makes it more difficult for opposition managers prepare to play against us when we have so many options to chose from.

So out of interest, which players are being left out by Southgate, who should be playing?
I'd be being deceitful if I started throwing names at you given that my interest in England has faded badly over the last 5 years and their are few English starters in most Prem teams but I think every England manager in the past has stuck with the tried and tested rather than the form player especially if they played for one of the top teams.

He's got a touch of the Brian Clough ability to make players actually play to their full potential when they probably didn't realize how good they were...
He believes in them,and they're responding with a fantastic team effort
I think we've got the best manager(and no2 in Knill of course) we've ever had

Selfishly hope next england manager is Sean Dyche

It won't be Wilder if the job comes up in the next 5 years, as Dyche and Eddie Howe are above him and have been in the Prem for a few seasons now. The England job will probably arise after next years World Cup. I'd give it to Howe but he won't take it, I doubt.

I'd be being deceitful if I started throwing names at you given that my interest in England has faded badly over the last 5 years and their are few English starters in most Prem teams but I think every England manager in the past has stuck with the tried and tested rather than the form player especially if they played for one of the top teams.

That's my point, there isn't a long list of players that are being left out of squads. It's a myth that England managers only pick players from the top clubs. They pick the best players and generally the best players are at Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

YES Blade I'm sure that's not exactly right, there are always supporters of other teams who complain that their star wasn't selected even though he has generally been outstanding that season. The tried and tested are almost always picked up by the bigger teams and quite often the players who don't get selected when they are in form for Southampton (let's say) do get selected when they aren't playing anything like as well for Liverpool (for example). My point being if a player has an outstanding season, pick him when he's playing well and not the following season and if this means he only gets 6 caps from a period of time when he's playing well, so be it. Given that the Premier league has so many foreign players in it, England are going to have to select from the other clubs to ensure they have a squad of players match fit. I have a feeling we are not going to agree on this but that's my opinion, I'm sure if i spent time looking I could pull up 2 or 3 players who should at least be in the squad and not the same old faces.

In no particular order;
- He talks sense. His post match interviews always shows that he has watched the same match as me. Doesn't sound much but I often wondered what match some of our recent managers were watching.
- He picks the player in possession of the shirt while ever they are playing well. Again it sounds obvious but too many managers have their favourites who are brought in as soon as they are available, regardless of how well their replacement has done. With Wilder, even his own high profile signings have had to wait for an opportunity. I'm convinced this approach gives genuine opportunity to all the squad which has got to help the spirit of the squad.
- He's built a good team around him in terms of Assistant Manager, Coaches, Physio and Scout. He trusts them to do their job and it's clear they work well together.
- The brand of football
- He gets what it is to be a Blade and that is passed on to the players

I could go on .......but you get my drift

What he's done in 18 months is nothing short of miraculous. He's turned transfer-listed, disliked (by many) players (Coutts and Freeman) into quality championship players. He's taken a club on its knees after 5 miserable seasons in League 1, and turned it into a club that is genuinely competing for promotion to the premier league at the first time of asking. He's unified the fans, staff and players. He's brought in quality additions to the squad, and given us competition for first-team shirts all over the pitch.

I can't say enough in praise of the man. We are playing the finest football I've ever seen at the lane in 23 years, and we're outclassing teams that before the season started many thought would be simply too good for us. It is a truly special time to be a Blade. I cannot wait to see just how far this incredible man can take us.

YES Blade I'm sure that's not exactly right, there are always supporters of other teams who complain that their star wasn't selected even though he has generally been outstanding that season. The tried and tested are almost always picked up by the bigger teams and quite often the players who don't get selected when they are in form for Southampton (let's say) do get selected when they aren't playing anything like as well for Liverpool (for example). My point being if a player has an outstanding season, pick him when he's playing well and not the following season and if this means he only gets 6 caps from a period of time when he's playing well, so be it. Given that the Premier league has so many foreign players in it, England are going to have to select from the other clubs to ensure they have a squad of players match fit. I have a feeling we are not going to agree on this but that's my opinion, I'm sure if i spent time looking I could pull up 2 or 3 players who should at least be in the squad and not the same old faces.

It's the usual argument, then you ask someone to name names and they can't.

The last squad contained players from Stoke, West Ham, Southampton, Leicester, West Brom and Bournemouth!

Duffy is a hell of a player. I questioned his ability to step up, very silly of me. He was outstanding yesterday. 10/10 performance

Basham, Duffy and Clarke typify what Wilder expects as a minimum and are proof that if you do it, you get your rewards in this side.

Pure class throughout this club

To be fair I bet a few of us did, including me. Ditto with Clarke. Wrong on both counts as they have excelled so far.

You are all lucky ..very quickly , even when you lost your first 4 games last season , it was obvious you made the right choice for a Manager ,
A genuine Blades supporter , his real motives are beyond question., you get the impression , he’d do the job for nowt .I love the man's passion for his Club , and think you really can get promoted once again

I watched the game live vs Sheffield Wednesday , and it was the most entertaining game I've seen on telly this season

I'd like to think Derby will be joining you , but we have a bit of work to do

You are all lucky ..very quickly , even when you lost your first 4 games last season , it was obvious you made the right choice for a Manager ,
A genuine Blades supporter , his real motives are beyond question., you get the impression , he’d do the job for nowt .I love the man's passion for his Club , and think you really can get promoted once again

I watched the game live vs Sheffield Wednesday , and it was the most entertaining game I've seen on telly this season

I'd like to think Derby will be joining you , but we have a bit of work to do
Interesting avatar! It is the 1974-75 league table. When your team came over to the Lane on a Tuesday night in October 1974, it was a very good match, end to end stuff. You scored first, Tony Field equalized, you got a late winner. If it was us that got the winner and all the scores were the same up to and including 28th April 1975 then we would needed a victory at Birmingham on 29th April to become champions!

Great days eh ? ,, most of the Clubs in that League Table have no hope of winning the Title now . I will forever be grateful to have seen us win 2 League Championships

No doubt the suits in London , think the game has changed for the better ...er no it hasn't

Great days eh ? ,, most of the Clubs in that League Table have no hope of winning the Title now . I will forever be grateful to have seen us win 2 League Championships

No doubt the suits in London , think the game has changed for the better ...er no it hasn't
My first time at Baseball ground was the Watney Cup semi in 1970. McGovern scored the only goal of the game. We lost every game there since then apart from the 3-2 win in 1994-95! I watched Derby beat Real Madrid 4-1 in October 1975 and it was an enjoyable evening!

My first time at Baseball ground was the Watney Cup semi in 1970. McGovern scored the only goal of the game. We lost every game there since then apart from the 3-2 win in 1994-95! I watched Derby beat Real Madrid 4-1 in October 1975 and it was an enjoyable evening!

I was there , Charlie George hat trick ..right up there with the 2-0 win against Leeds (Booooo ) John O'Hare and Norman Hunter OG that more or less set up the 1972 title
My humble apologies for the TF

What l like and admire most from the CW regime is that he has built a squad of 20+ players that are all classed as our team. It isn't the case of a first team and others that just fill in for injuries, suspensions etc. All of the players in the squad realise that any success that they achieve is a shared success.

Different players that we have realise that they each bring something different to achieve success in different circumstances against different opposition types. They all have a significant contribution to make and realise that our team selections have be horses for courses with the added bonus that we can change shape or styles of play if the situation arises. This obviously makes it more difficult for opposition managers prepare to play against us when we have so many options to chose from.

After further thought on this topic, may I suggest that CW has also gained the trust and respect from most of the real Sheffield United fans as shown in the amount of the messages we see that state "In Wilder we trust". Do others suggesting their team selection would be better, undermine the players view that CW knows best and weaken the "we are all in this together spirit in the squad" I suggest that if the doubters were any better then they would be picking the team instead, but perhaps not for long.

If you cannot improve on perfection, leave well alone. We really do trust our saviour don't we?

Player of the last month, by an absolute mile.

Yes-ish.

Duffy has been brilliant and I don't want to denigrate him, but watching Leon on Saturday had me drooling. He is probably playing the best football of his career and his second half work rate was like that of a marathon runner.

CW has got Coutts, Wright, Billy, Bash, Leon and Duffy playing the best football of their varied careers. That is no mere coincidence and whilst CW may typically not put it all down to himself, he has created exactly the perfect environment for players to flourish.

This may last weeks, months or even years but it will not last forever. It really is a wonderful time to be a Blade and I think most of us understand that we just have to savour it.

Yes-ish.

Duffy has been brilliant and I don't want to denigrate him, but watching Leon on Saturday had me drooling. He is probably playing the best football of his career and his second half work rate was like that of a marathon runner.

CW has got Coutts, Wright, Billy, Bash, Leon and Duffy playing the best football of their varied careers. That is no mere coincidence and whilst CW may typically not put it all down to himself, he has created exactly the perfect environment for players to flourish.

This may last weeks, months or even years but it will not last forever. It really is a wonderful time to be a Blade and I think most of us understand that we just have to savour it.

Coutts, Basham and Leon have all been excellent. But Duffy’s goal at Hillsborough and his superb display at Forest put him streets ahead in the last month, before even he was superb against Ipswich and Reading. :D

Back
Top Bottom