What are/were your expectations?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Where do you expect should finish,?

• Automatic slots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Playoffs, and win them.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Playoffs

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Challenging for a playoff spot

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • Mid-table

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • Bottom half

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Relegation scrap

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chali 2na

The Tuna fish that descended from Lake Michigan
Reaction score
Apologies for starting new thread, the board is full of reactionary threads, all saying the same thing in a round about way.

The reason I wanted to start a one, is so we can conduct a poll (I know how much everyone loves polls.) - gives people a chance to nail their colours to the mast.

I expected us to be in the top half flirting with the play-offs....could still happen obviously but we look a mile off the pace at the minute.

I expected not to start the season with at least four pale imitations of footballers in the team.

I thought bottom half, as I felt we got found out a bit second half last season and I haven't seen incoming players that will change that. The tactics employed thus far (I know, I know, two games in) hardly inspire.

I said I didn’t think we would finish as high as last season 14th or 15th

I will have to revise that down shortly.

I will take a 21st place finish at the moment.

What were my expectations - top half, maybe challenging 6th depending on recruitment.

What are they now - stay up

We now need to reshuffle the pack and try a new formation, this will take time (may not happen).

I’d have accepted the start a bit more if we had changed our formation to improve on the end of last season and that it was taking time to bed in.

As it is it’s the same 3-5-2, same personnel and same set up we’ve played through pre-season. I therefore surmise Wilder thinks this is our strongest set up.

More worrying is the fitness levels and commitment being shown. The former might take a while to get back and the latter, if it never comes back, I think we’re done for !

Mid-table, I didn't expect us to push on and after two games, unless things change, we could very well be in a relegation scrap.

I expected that we would be a bit worse than last season, hence bottom half.

I am worried that we are a lot worse than I thought (for a variety of interlocking reasons) and we are in a relegation fight this year.

And United do not historically survive relegation fights. We get relegated.

I console myself with the thought that some of our better players are (a) playing badly and (b) are inexplicably not in the first XI, so this might be fixable. Hopefully.

I thought mid table but at the moment 4th bottom is starting to look very attractive :(

Lower mid table was my expectation.

But the incompetence of Recruitment, tactics and performance so far indicates a relegation scrap on the cards.. at best.

To be entertained and enjoy the matches like the past 2 seasons ( mainly with Mr Coutts involved )

. We will loose some .maybe more than some and I didn't care when we play best available team and give our all ( Duffy , sharp are still 2 of our best players at what they do )

CW saying no more players coming in is not too much of a concern to me . Him playing the absolute proven crap players ahead of the best ones is the most worrying

The go for it attitude of CW ( which was so refreshing after shit like clough etc ) had has now vanished and playing crap like lundstram Evans Stevens and Leon being ever present is depressing

I was very optimistic at the start of the summer, expected us to recruit well and challenge strongly for a play off spot.

Then we sold Brooks, and I knew we had an uphill battle. Still hoped for some acceptable reinvestment and a chance of the play offs.

Now we've shambolically failed to recruit I expect mid table at best - and that's dependent on getting a couple of good loans in.

We've wasted a golden chance yet again and have a nothing season to look forward to.

I suppose the real question is “have we strengthened compared to last year”?
The answer is yes and we still intend to strengthen further.

Another question is “was last season a fluke, we were lucky? Did the players over perform?
Possibly some of the players did over perform but if anything we were unlucky, we often looked the better team
But the signs were there that we needed a lot of chances to score a goal.

So if it’s agreed we’re slightly better then last season
We were involved in the play-off race all season and finished 10th.

So I felt fairly confident we’ll again flirt with the play-offs and I thought we’d finish about 7th or 8th, just outside the play-offs.

Realistically 2 games mean nothing, it’s far too early
But now I think we’ll finish mid table. Although who knows anything could happen.

I was very optimistic at the start of the summer, expected us to recruit well and challenge strongly for a play off spot.

Then we sold Brooks, and I knew we had an uphill battle. Still hoped for some acceptable reinvestment and a chance of the play offs.

Now we've shambolically failed to recruit I expect mid table at best - and that's dependent on getting a couple of good loans in.

We've wasted a golden chance yet again and have a nothing season to look forward to.

Brooks hardly played last season, virtually always a sub.
Also due to his illness he virtually had no input in the 2nd half of the season.
You can’t miss what we didn’t have, besides all the experts who know more then me, says Woodburn is better than Brooks.

On paper we are better then last season.
Maybe 2nd season syndrome is hitting us, last season was a massive challenge for the manager and several players.
Maybe some members of the squad aren’t quite as hungry.

Noticed against Swansea the tempo was much slower then normal from BOTH teams.
It was really hot weather and the tempo reminded me of a pre season friendly which is so unlike a Wilder team.

Brooks hardly played last season, virtually always a sub.
Also due to his illness he virtually had no input in the 2nd half of the season.
You can’t miss what we didn’t have, besides all the experts who know more then me, says Woodburn is better than Brooks.

It's not about last season. It's about this season. Brooks is an outstanding young player and we have a strikeforce who aren't going to reproduce what they did last season. He would've undoubtedly been a key player. My optimism for our attack was based around keeping him.

Our starting line up now is weaker than the one that started last season. The additions make very little difference and we don't have Coutts in there. Some players are also feeling the affects of being one year older.

I'm not moaning. It's a team full of shitcunts with zero character and we're on a decline. I'm at peace with it.

Lundstram, Evans, Stevens, Egan.

And Baldock can't defend for shit.

I think if they're "pale imitations of footballers" or worse still; "shitcunts with zero character", it's safe to assume that they will be of absoloutely zero use to us going forward.

So what's the plan then? Shall we terminate their contracts?

I think if they're "pale imitations of footballers" or worse still; "shitcunts with zero character", it's safe to assume that they will be of absoloutely zero use to us going forward.

So what's the plan then? Shall we terminate their contracts?

The cost of terminating 4/5 contracts is too great a financial burden to bear. We're stuck with the shit we have for the forseeable future.

Why would I need a plan? It's a football forum, we're all just talking into a void.

Not so.

We're the fans, we're responsible for feedback to the players during the game. Social media is an extension of that.

If we talk ourselves into believing that our players are shitcunts, then eventually, it will be reflected in the live support.

I just worry that we spent a long time during our league 1 spell with an appalling atmosphere, which (I feel) often had a detrimental effect on the players, especially those with fragile confidence. I would hate to see us fall back into that trap.

I agree that (of the players you mentioned) the initial signs aren't good, and that there's a chance that they'll never reach the required level. I don't think anything can be gained by making personal attacks on their character though.

I still "expect" an improvement on last year's position and would hope for a play-off challenge. Nothing I've seen in the first two games makes that look likely but when you look at the bigger picture, we've kept our manager and best 11 from last season, while probably slightly improving the rest of the squad.

The problem is Wilder hasn't played anything like our best 11.

Back
Top Bottom