What are/were your expectations?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Where do you expect should finish,?

• Automatic slots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Playoffs, and win them.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Playoffs

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Challenging for a playoff spot

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • Mid-table

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • Bottom half

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Relegation scrap

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I went 'challenging for playoff spot'. But as most football fans it was of course more heart than brain talking. The fact is that if we maintain our current form and come up against teams like Swansea and Middlesborough week in week out, we will will finish bottom... because that is where we are now. By the same token if we had won our first two games comfortably and we came up against the same quality of sides throughout the season and maintained that form we would finish top. Is that a realistic view though?

Success in never about not falling down. It is having the resilience to get up and continue the challenge. I would like to believe that CW, AK and the rest of the staff at the Lane are streetwise battlers. If we have been 'sussed' by the rest of the league then it will be our turn to 'suss' them out and find a way that works. Bolton and Millwall seem to have found a way in their opening games.

Belittling players and the staff may be a way to let off steam, but it does little to resolve issues. CW has earned my respect for what he has done over the last two seasons. I wait in confident anticipation of how our captain Blade weathers the inevitable storms that faces our battleship now and in the future.

At the start of this season like all seasons my expectations are to finish top.

I cannot understand the point of it all if you don't push yourself to be the very best.

Niw after two games I have had to listen to my manager telling me about how good the opposition players are having played in the World Cup, Premiership etc and realise that he doesn't seem to share my ambitions for the club.
I don’t really get your point here. You’re not in a position to push anything. I understand setting personal targets, like passing your driving test first time or getting straight As in exams but this is something you have no control over whatsoever. You just seem to be setting an arbitrary target for people you don’t know or have any influence over.

This season I didn't know really, top end of my hopes was about 5th if we bought a striker, bottom end 12th, but mainly as good as last season but scoring fewer because of ageing strikers and conceding fewer because of the supposed strengthening at the back, Henderson is a very good keeper. I have no doubts about him at all, and Egan was supposed to be a brick wall.

I'm not writing off the season of anything but we've got a few games before things start getting toxic.

We know we were wank, and the players will know, and Wilder might start to lose the dressing room a bit if he doesn't start getting some results.

My expectations before season start were to be challenging for a play-off spot, with optimistic hopes that we would punch above our weight and challenge for an automatic spot, and a worse case scenario of mid-table "consolidation".
I see no reason to adjust any of that yet.
^as above^

Something definitely changed at the end of last year. Perhaps it was Coutts' injury, perhaps the Boardroom kerfuffle, perhaps that we got sussed out. Whichever it was (or combination) the body language and performances deteriorated to the point of relegation form and remain there. Whatever the reason for the failure to strengthen (i think we are weaker in GK, midfield and attack this season) and the possibility of some of the remaining better players having their heads turned by Premiership interest (O'Connell in particular) won't help. I can't see anything other than a struggle this season and I don't think the return of Coutts will act like a magic wand. To my mind there is a possibility of a South Yorkshire triple with us, the pigs and Rotherham all going down. Getting a result at QPR will be very important I feel.

I expect this season to be stale and forgettable.

It just has a bad feel about it, even down to the fucking kit.

Last edited:
Always expected a difficult season this season, we will flirt with relegation and get pulled in if we don’t get some of the fluidity back from early last season.

We rode the crest of a wave for a good few games last season and since it’s crashed we’ve looked second rate. Nothing to really suggest any different in the business we’ve done.

Personally I don’t see anything wrong with attempting to stay up this season and maybe finish mid table at a push, unfortunately the “I want it now” brigade will and they will be the vocal group.

My expectations before the game yesterday were a mid-table finish a few places lower than last season (assuming we brought in a good striker).

My expectations after Wilder's post-match interview last night is to be bottom half but probably safe from relegation.

If we don't sign anyone decent, and have a run of bad luck with injuries in important positions, then I can see us being in a relegation battle or worse.

This makes for interesting reading, coming as it did the day after Middlesbrough away.......

Possibly the most depressed I've been under CW. A new season in the Champ, would this be Chris's 'difficult second album'? Would we fail to consolidate our previous tenth position? 0-3 down after 25 minutes and a drubbing was on the cards. Thankfully, 'boro took their foot off the gas and a very damaging thrashing was averted. I was so pissed off, I turned RS off and watched 'Corrie'.

All part of being a football fan.

After watching first half hour against Boro I thought team spirit had gone......happy to say I was completely wrong.
Lesson was learned within a few matches and it won’t happen again....honest!

That is an astonishing look back. True things looked bleak after boro, Eagan all at sea ( ha ha ) but it emphasises the true achievement against perceived wisdom this season. Hell I bet a similar poll after millwall would be way far of the mark. Leeds collapse and our fortitude was a long overdue gift from the football gods.

Possibly the most depressed I've been under CW. A new season in the Champ, would this be Chris's 'difficult second album'? Would we fail to consolidate our previous tenth position? 0-3 down after 25 minutes and a drubbing was on the cards. Thankfully, 'boro took their foot off the gas and a very damaging thrashing was averted. I was so pissed off, I turned RS off and watched 'Corrie'.

All part of being a football fan.

After the Boro game, if someone posted that we’d not lose back-to-back games again all season, they’d have been ripped to shreds. :D

Good old hindsight. We looked fucking hopeless.

Then Norwood came in. That changed a lot. Stevens found form. Egan and McGoldrick grew into great signings. Henderson too. The spine signings really couldn't have turned out any better.

We can't be wasting the first 2 games next season though, if we can help it...

I think I went for challenging for a play-off spot. Amazing how nobody picked automatic slot - shows how us and the pigs differ.

Then Norwood came in. That changed a lot. Stevens found form. Egan and McGoldrick grew into great signings. Henderson too. The spine signings really couldn't have turned out any better.

We've started each of the three seasons under Wilder pretty poorly, really. No idea why, but I'm sure Wilder and Knill will be very conscious of it.

We've started each of the three seasons under Wilder pretty poorly, really. No idea why, but I'm sure Wilder and Knill will be very conscious of it.

Same with international breaks. He made a comment on TV this weekend suggesting it might have been wrong to go abroad last time. You can bet the approach to these breaks will be something he and the staff reconsider next season.

Not hindsight at all. My comment was about right. You were wrong.

Back
Top Bottom