What about the middle?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cerberus Blade

Reaction score
Great news on signing the defender Egan. And exciting to hear we are after some quality up front too. But what about the middle of the park?

No, I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. I think that strengthening defence and attack are priorities over the midfield. But, in those few games last season where we were taught a football lesson, it was the midfield of ours that couldn't "lay a glove" on the opposition. We saw this in the first half away at Middlesboro, early on in the season, we saw it away at Cardiff and at Fulham and at Wolves. OK, so they were all good quality teams and 3 of them went up - I think their midfields were key factors in that.

If Coutts is fit and firing we look a different team - that's for sure. But he might not be up to speed for a few more weeks yet, maybe months? We've got some good midfielders in Fleck, Duffy, Evans, Lundstram, but we need a midfield schemer, someone who can control the pace and flow of the game.

Be interesting to see if Wilder looks to strengthen the middle of the park as well. If he does - on top of bringing in a couple more strikers - he'll have prepared the side very well to push on from last season. Which, under the circumstances - is no mean achievement.

Of the 4 teams you've mentioned, 3 were promoted.

The Boro and Cardiff games were early in the season and we showed with the home games against those teams that we were more than a match.

We were played off the park on 3 occasions last season - Cardiff, Wolves and Fulham. The latter two played 95% of the teams off the park all season.

We controlled most of the games we played. The draws and losses would've turned into wins and draws if we had cut out the sloppy goals conceded and been more clinical upfront.

My ONLY concern with the midfield is Coutts - will he come back as good ?

Great news on signing the defender Egan. And exciting to hear we are after some quality up front too. But what about the middle of the park?

No, I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. I think that strengthening defence and attack are priorities over the midfield. But, in those few games last season where we were taught a football lesson, it was the midfield of ours that couldn't "lay a glove" on the opposition. We saw this in the first half away at Middlesboro, early on in the season, we saw it away at Cardiff and at Fulham and at Wolves. OK, so they were all good quality teams and 3 of them went up - I think their midfields were key factors in that.

If Coutts is fit and firing we look a different team - that's for sure. But he might not be up to speed for a few more weeks yet, maybe months? We've got some good midfielders in Fleck, Duffy, Evans, Lundstram, but we need a midfield schemer, someone who can control the pace and flow of the game.

Be interesting to see if Wilder looks to strengthen the middle of the park as well. If he does - on top of bringing in a couple more strikers - he'll have prepared the side very well to push on from last season. Which, under the circumstances - is no mean achievement.
Like Wilder said last night we are excellent between the boxes ,we make loads of chances , its just the quality in both boxes where we lack , so I doubt it.

The way we play, time benefits whatever players we bring in and particularly so in midfield, as they get used to the rest of the squad and start to gel.

We saw signs of this from Evans and Lundstram later on in the season. I think they will be all the better for their further time with us and a full pre-season going into this year. As long as there are no major injuries in this area (tempting fate I know) then we'll be fine.

Surely quality in box would improve with an attacking midfielder who's not terrified of shooting.
It would certainly help the front lads out if we got more goals from other areas.
A midfielder arriving late on the edge of the box could have got 10 goals for us last season.

The way we play, time benefits whatever players we bring in and particularly so in midfield, as they get used to the rest of the squad and start to gel.

We saw signs of this from Evans and Lundstram later on in the season. I think they will be all the better for their further time with us and a full pre-season going into this year. As long as there are no major injuries in this area (tempting fate I know) then we'll be fine.

Agree with this, fingers crossed the players mentioned will progress. Also, Wilder has now also got a year under his belt at a new level and maybe if it's not quite working the way he wants he'll look to the loan market to strengthen in that area before the JTW

Understand your point, but I think with our budget, we have to prioritise where we spend our money.

I haven't ruled out Lundstram or Evans being a long-term replacement for Coutts in that play maker roll, and even though they're some way off Coutts level, they're proven they're reliable at Championship level - we at least have options.

Compare that to the strike force, none of our centre forwards had much pace to speak of, and on top of that, we've lost Brooks' pace too - a forward who's mobile and can carry the ball is a must for me.

My belief is the plan will be to pack the midfield with Coutts, Fleck & Evans with Duffy as a No 10 and x1 CF in those games where we might get over run.

In home games Evans drops out and we play the extra striker...

That wasn't an issue last season. Having a defender who could defend and encourage those around him to defend was what was missing - especially in the last 10 games.

CW interview states an attacking midfielder and 2 strikers.

I think we have to remember this is our third transfer window in the championship. We have to turn players over slowly and build slowly.

We now have to wait for the right players to appear on a free or we have to pay big money for them. If every season we spend £7m it allows us to rebuild the squad with even better. It’s a slow proces bt we cannot get the perfect 11 in 3 windows especially when only 1 window we have money.

I think CM is done. Whether it's good enough or not we've got lots of players and quite a lot of versatility.

giphy.gif

The OP's claim is not without merit. Croatia in the WC had plenty of solid strikers and defenders but it was Modric's creative spark which got them to the final. Coutts will not be back to his best until Christmas, if he does at all. Lundstram & Evans don't provide creativity and Brooks is gone. Duffy's good for half a game and Fleck isn't going to do it all himself. A bit of quality in there wouldn't go amiss.

Of the 4 teams you've mentioned, 3 were promoted.

The Boro and Cardiff games were early in the season and we showed with the home games against those teams that we were more than a match.

We were played off the park on 3 occasions last season - Cardiff, Wolves and Fulham. The latter two played 95% of the teams off the park all season.

We controlled most of the games we played. The draws and losses would've turned into wins and draws if we had cut out the sloppy goals conceded and been more clinical upfront.

My ONLY concern with the midfield is Coutts - will he come back as good ?

Pretty much agree with every word of this. Would just add that I think Coutts will be fully fit quite soon but there is a very deliberate plan to bring him back in slowly. If we get off to a bad start then it will be like signing one of the very best midfielders October, which should hopefully help turn things around. If we start well then he goes to the bench, but imagine how well the team will be playing for that to happen.

I also think Evans is going to have a very good season for us. Bar a few wobbles here and there he looked good last time out and I like how he has an eye for goal.

That's the spirit
A nice "settle for what we've got" attitude
That's the way forward

The OP's claim is not without merit. Croatia in the WC had plenty of solid strikers and defenders but it was Modric's creative spark which got them to the final. Coutts will not be back to his best until Christmas, if he does at all. Lundstram & Evans don't provide creativity and Brooks is gone. Duffy's good for half a game and Fleck isn't going to do it all himself. A bit of quality in there wouldn't go amiss.

Enter Ricky Holmes.

Big season ahead for him.

Enter Ricky Holmes.

Big season ahead for him.
I'd love for Holmes to at least be given more of a chance this season. Started one game at Wolves away and was one of our only positives. Not saying he should replace Duffy at all but when Duffy needs a rest or has a knock I think we should give Holmes a chance instead of playing more defensively with Lundstram.

Great news on signing the defender Egan. But what about the middle of the park?

The different areas of the pitch don't exist separately from oneanother - there is a lot of interaction. Strengthening the defence can take a lot of pressure off the midfield, and adding a more potent forward line can (i) give more options for passes, and (ii) cause the other team to worry more about the forwards and perhaps neglect the midfield. So I suspect that our current midfield could flourish with the right signings at the back and up front.

Holmes was quite bad when he came on on Tuesday. Despite his involvement in the last goal. Looked one of our worst players, and I have no hate for him, he just was. Duffy is twice the player, up to now anyhow.

lets go down and complain , shoes off job , midfields being over looked
we are wafer thin in midfield ,
flecks old and slow duffy has 2 left feet lundstram doesnt try
Coutts , probably a write off Lee Evans just wont cut it
Leonard, whats he ever done, or likely too

anarchy, lets revolt

Don't think he will, particularly if he thinks Coutts will return to full ditness before Xmas as we've also got Fleck, Evans, Lundstram, Duffy, Holmes, Leonard who can play there. Only if we sell one or two wiĺ there be an arrival.

Yes but of those, Fleck is a certainty, Evans blows hot and cold and loves a backwards pass, Lundstram is a young lad who is improving all the time and has potential, but often the game passes him by, Duffy blows hot and cold more than my wife's hair dryer. One minute he'll be the most inventive, creative player on the pitch. The next it will be like he's had two glass eyes fitted. Holmes hasn't impressed very much so far. I saw him yesterday at Mansfield and was desperate to see something from him that suggests he might, just might, be able to offer something this season. I'm still waiting. And Leonard, who also featured yesterday at Mansfield, looked far more at home against League 2 opposition but still didn't assert himself on the game.

So, I make that, Fleck and Coutts (when he's back) as two top quality players for this level - with Evans providing some back up. It's not enough imo.

Back
Top Bottom