What’s going on ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We were in Bruges a couple of years ago sampling the beers and decided to go on a canal cruise. I asked the guy steering the boat if he spoke any English expecting him to be local, and it turned out he was from Sheffield and a massive Blade. He’d lived over there for a decade but got back to see the Blades whenever he could, it was our first season back in the Championship. Small world.

At least we now know what McCabe was doing in Belgium all that time

Got pulled over by traffic police in the middle of nowhere, whilst riding a motorbike in the mountains of Greece. Two armed officers got out of the car, sirens flashing and straight away realised I was a foreigner.

'Where are you from,' says one of the policemen in broken English. 'I'm from England,' I replied, sensing that he was about to give me a hard time and maybe get a bribe out of me for a phantom traffic offence. 'Where in England,' he shoots back, no emotion on his face. 'Sheffield,' says I, thinking that he wouldn't have the faintest where the place was. 'Ah, Sheffield United! Borbokis and Dellas were good players for you. Good team,' he replies, smiling.

He and his colleague then proceeded to talk my head off for the next fifteen minutes about English and Greek football, before sending me on my way with a pat on my back.

Nice lads those Greek traffic police!
Makes me wonder if the same thing happened to a Wednesdayite, if they would swallow their pride and pretend they were one of us in order to make peace with the officer, or instead tell them that Giles De Bilde and Andy Booth were far superior players and that no way would Dellas and Borbokis ever get in their team..

I even had Aussie (mainly) AFL fans at work mention the VAR decision on Monday morning. Just wtf is going on indeed!

Don't worry over here in NZ we still got a long way to go. My wife went in to the main nationwide sports shop to buy this seasons shirt for me. She asked the girl for a Sheffield United shirt and was asked if she meant Manchester United. FML

Been to Cancun and Tunisia and the Blades are known in those parts too. I guess now we're in the Prem that will contribute more to us being known around the world but when I visited those places we were in league one and then the championship. It became apparent we were known in those places due to betting and Blade requested themed souvenirs.

I've been to Bulgaria 4 times and whenever I say Sheffield the locals jump straight to united!! There was even a bar there a few years back run by a Bulgarian bloke who was a massive blade, always had a Blades shirt/scarf on! Went back this year and it had changed hands 😭

Back
Top Bottom