We need to talk about scoring goals

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

😉

UTB

Just bumping this because it is still not really hitting the radar at all in interviews or anything. Our current set up or creation is hopeless.

It is now 6 hours and 17 minutes since one of our players scored a league goal (one clumsy o.g. by Rüdiger in the period).

Given the penalty we scored vs Bristol City, it's also fair to state that it is now 7 hours and 47 minutes since one of our players scored a goal in any competition from open play.

That was Billy's winner vs West Brom a shade over a month ago now.

So forgive me for wanting us to try something or have a bit more of a go, but we need to try something different in the coming games to trouble the scorers.

It seems the press and management are just blind to this ongoing issue.

Last edited:
My view is that even last season we were not scoring enough goals. The defence was key to winning matches and gaining points. One thing that stands out for me is how we go about creating chances. We are now predictable. Get it up either wing, play about with it and try and get a cross in. The defence is back and waiting. We had a bit more success last season as we scored more goals from breaking fast into the opposition half with players on the left and right side getting forward quickly. We haven't seen any of that this season.
Our philosophy needs to change and we need faster, skilful and confident players.
Palace are not a great side but one thing to admire about them is their ability to attack quickly and create chances. They win just enough matched to keep them safe.
Saint Maximin at Newcastle started the season well and his ability to run at teams created chances.
We are lacking both the philosophy and the personnel. Until we change that it won't matter who the partnership is, they won't create or score enough

If CW can’t see the problem......Why can’t AK? Surely they both haven’t got the same entrenched views on repeatedly playing a failing system.

I thought with all 11 on yesterday we were moving the ball quicker and getting some shots off. Pretty even attempts stats too.
Didsy's goal was about Baldock not fannying about trying to work triangles and get to the line, and instead, coming inside and shooting/crossing whatever...
Spreeding up our passing and general play makes a big difference to how easy we are to defend against. Creates uncertainty. More please!

Comparing Tella & Adams with any of our front 5 is a joke, they ran into space made themselves available whereas our 5 did not even manage a shot on target ball game.

When Southampton have 2 centre backs both 7ft 2, who in their right mind thinks its a good idea to send in crosses? It really beggars belief.

Did Mousset actually control a ball today? My heart keeps thinking that it will get better next season, but my head says who is going to step up?

Lowest scorers in Europe isn’t it? Firing more blanks than the Territorials, to wheel out the old gag.

Lowest scorers in all pro divisions of europe's top 5 leagues (schalke were the same this morning)

Back
Top Bottom