We need to talk about chris

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stevo

Reaction score
How the hell do we replace Basham?

1. We don't ,and just keep playing him until he can not run/walk anymore into his 60s
2. Get our "consolidation" season over then take the champions League by storm next year and buy back Maguire with the lure of being European champions??
3. Play him until one of his offspring are 16 and then throw them into the side hoping the DNA is strong in the family

The perfect like-for-like younger replacement would be Coady - which is why CW's tried to get him back here a couple of times. Best chance of prising him away from Wolves is if they spend big on a couple of centre halves in January - then we might just get him in the summer for about £15m!!!

At our recent low point under Adkins, I thought Basham was symptomatic of what was wrong with the club. I thought he looked an average L1 player in a poor team, and just wasn't good enough for us ever to get back to La Liga.

Sorry Chris, I was wrong.

It's unbelievable how Basham, JOC, Billy, Fleck, Enda, Lunny and Baldock have all made the leap from L1/L2 to the Championship and then gone again to the Prem.

What a TEAM.

At our recent low point under Adkins, I thought Basham was symptomatic of what was wrong with the club. I thought he looked an average L1 player in a poor team, and just wasn't good enough for us ever to get back to La Liga.

Sorry Chris, I was wrong.

It's unbelievable how Basham, JOC, Billy, Fleck, Enda, Lunny and Baldock have all made the leap from L1/L2 to the Championship and then gone again to the Prem.

What a TEAM.

You were definitely wrong. Basham, alongside Billy, were the only two players to emerge from that season with any credit.

You were definitely wrong. Basham, alongside Billy, were the only two players to emerge from that season with any credit.

I had him down as a very honest trier from the Chris Porter school, but way short of the quality required. He didn't even seem to have the pace he does now, although being a 'utility man' is often the kiss of death for any player. I have been pleasantly surprised by how well he has adapted to the higher levels.

FWIW I had no doubts about Billy and thought he was the only player that season that was worth keeping.

Chris Basham epitomises everything that is right about Sheffield United right now - the man has been written off year after year (mainly by many of our own fans) but he has proven all the doubters and nay-sayers wrong.

And that is very much like Sheffield United.

Send him back to Blackpool at the end of the season,so he can walk with the donkeys on the beach again,he can tell them stories,about his great career with Sheffield United and how if they play their cards right they too could reach the dizzy heights he has.

He haw he haw my names Flicka Basham.

1571733906255.png

option 1 , but to be fair he will probably still be one of the fittest member of the squad at 60 !
Absolute legend - he has been here through the pile of dog shite under Adkins and Clough and as said above, looked the only one that cared at times - a true proffessional , good player who gives his all and quite rightly is part of this defensive machine we have

Funnily enough I also thought about Bash whilst reflecting on last nights game. An absolute unsung hero.

Did he put a foot wrong? You know, against the quality of Arsenal’s front line.

This is the league one journey man who often looked a little shaky at that level. Man is a total legend. It really is extraordinary.

Until Wilder arrived, he looked a nothing player to me, neither a convincing midfielder or a defender. When he played more regularly as a CB, his improvement was visible, commanding instead of hesitant. After a couple of months he would have been the first name on the team sheet and his transformation into Bashambauer was complete. Delighted for him as he’s obviously a true professional.

Like Wilder said, Basham is a proper sheffield united player as in not the most technically gifted player but he'll give for the cause and leave absolutely nowt on pitch

Agree, that season the rest of the players just did not look like they wanted to be playing for Sheffield United. Basham and Billy were always there, giving 100%. I don't think Bash is capable of giving any less to be honest.

1. We don't ,and just keep playing him until he can not run/walk anymore into his 60s
2. Get our "consolidation" season over then take the champions League by storm next year and buy back Maguire with the lure of being European champions??
3. Play him until one of his offspring are 16 and then throw them into the side hoping the DNA is strong in the family
Genuinely, not being daft now...would Harry even get in ahead of these three?? I think there's a fair shout to say no. I genuinely prefer Egan, he couldn't do what Bash does, and I'd say JOC's more mobile as the marauding left footer (and fucking solid too). Get him in as a squad player when Jags retires.

Wrote him off after that mistake against Leicester because on top of that I saw him as the weakest of the back 3 and we could upgrade. Then he put in his best defensive performance so far against Chelsea the following week and made me look a twat. Been great since and shown he belongs in this division as much as any of the team.

We could upgrade - but it would cost us over £10m and that’s credit to Basham. Superb.

The answer is Kyle Walker ...if we stay in the league.

City are already phasing him out and so is Gareth Southgate.

Really hope City win the Champions League because Kyle might take a view that he's won just about everything he's capable of and might have a more firm desire to work with Wilder.

Maguire could do the Egan role but not the Bash role. he isn't quick/ mobile enough..

Really hope City win the Champions League because Kyle might take a view that he's won just about everything he's capable of and might have a more firm desire to work with Wilder.

Currently on £150k a week with a contract for the next 5 years....I doubt his desire is strong enough to drop his wages far enough for us!!

It sounds silly but he reminds me of one of my favourite former sportsmen in Paul Collingwood.

Lacks natural talent and ability but makes up for it with bucketloads of desire energy and hard work to make it at the top level.

Really admirable ⭐

Genuinely, not being daft now...would Harry even get in ahead of these three?? I think there's a fair shout to say no. I genuinely prefer Egan, he couldn't do what Bash does, and I'd say JOC's more mobile as the marauding left footer (and fucking solid too). Get him in as a squad player when Jags retires.
How good would Maguire be though after a few months under CWAK? I bet he watched us last night and thought ‘could have just stayed at United’. (Then checks his bank balance, laughs and thinks ‘OK, maybe not’).

How good would Maguire be though after a few months under CWAK? I bet he watched us last night and thought ‘could have just stayed at United’. (Then checks his bank balance, laughs and thinks ‘OK, maybe not’).

Whatever happens Harry can always boast he made it at “United”

He said a few months ago on Sky about coming back and told Chris he was waiting (or something of that ilk). Would be one of few I'd consider to replace Bash.

He said a few months ago on Sky about coming back and told Chris he was waiting (or something of that ilk). Would be one of few I'd consider to replace Bash.

David Luiz has been misunderstood for years in this country. He's clearly born to be CWAK attacking wide centre-half!!! o_O

Bashambauer playing footy of his life I cannot believe how the players have adapted to the PL Fleck was immense last night, booked for a fair tackle IMO.

First couple of games Fleck looked a bit lost as he didn't have Duffy in front of him. Then he must have thought (or been told) fuck this, cut through them yourself and take some of his job on top of your own, which he has. United's player of the season so far for me, and if he could find the net more often would be in the running for PL player of the year.

Maguire is like a milk float with a load of flagstones on the back compared to Bash.

The way Bash was running through Arsenal at times last night was a sight to behold.

I think we should be looking at other people's academy prospects, someone like a Tuanzebe that didn't quite make it and has been stuck in the reserves but didn't get a new contract.

Rescue and mould from watching Bash up close.

Good few years left in Bash though.

Plenty of Bashams in the lower leagues. What it needs is for the player to encounter the right manager/system and providing they have the ability, mentality and ambition then bingo. Just that the odds are very low. In CWAK we trust, so lets all BELIVE then you never know what might happen.

Back
Top Bottom