We have Graham Scott for the FA Cup

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Considering that the some of the Chelsea players were diving to the floor each time a gust of wind swept across the ground I thought he was OK

Apart from not giving the most blatant of penalties against Willian and then booking him for diving for good measure

Considering that the some of the Chelsea players were diving to the floor each time a gust of wind swept across the ground I thought he was OK

Wonder if James Maddison of Norwich picked up a few tips from the Chelsea players - he'll be a reyt diver in the 2nd part of the season ;)

UTB

Apart from not giving the most blatant of penalties against Willian and then booking him for diving for good measure
Wouldn't say it was "the most blatant of penalties" (cf Scougall at Bradford) but there seems to be an issue that pundits have forgotten the middle ground: it is possible for it to be simultaneously not a penalty and not a dive. The "he's entitled to go down there" argument needs stamping out too.

Scott got the Pedro cards spot on, was correct to send of Morata but should have rescinded the yellow for Willian. Overall, though, it was refreshing to see a referee prepared to punish the bigger club.

What about when Morgan kicked gerrard up in the air, for that penalty at the lane. All the blades that think he dived that day, should hang their heads in shame. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't say it was "the most blatant of penalties" (cf Scougall at Bradford) but there seems to be an issue that pundits have forgotten the middle ground: it is possible for it to be simultaneously not a penalty and not a dive. The "he's entitled to go down there" argument needs stamping out too.

Scott got the Pedro cards spot on, was correct to send of Morata but should have rescinded the yellow for Willian. Overall, though, it was refreshing to see a referee prepared to punish the bigger club.
Couldn't agree more. Willian would have probably got the pen if he hadn't started to go down before contact was made. These PL players are like the boy who cried wolf, they dive so often that they stop getting the benefit of the doubt.

The refs don't always help themselves either though with their reluctance to award pens for clear fouls that would be given anywhere else on the pitch but the player doesn't go down. That then justifies players going down and has led to that shit phrase 'he had every right to go down'.

Have you never made a mistake in your job Danny ? Overall he controlled the game well

Of course, but then I don't get people saying I did well. He lost control of the game completely and got at least two of the big decisions wrong IMO. If that's doing OK, no wonder the standard of refereeing is so poor

Off the top of my head, the big decisions in that game were:
  • Pedro yellow card (diving) - correct
  • Willian yellow card (diving) - wrong; but it wasn't a penalty either
  • Pedro second yellow (foul) - correct
  • Morata yellow card (diving) - correct: no "right to go down"; Morata felt a hand on his shoulder and threw himself to the floor
  • Morata second yellow (dissent) - correct: Morata carried on after being told to stop.
I make that 1 incorrect and 4 correct decisions. Neither goal was in doubt. The lack of control you cite seemed to me to be more down to the Chelsea players being incapable of getting over the Willian decision than a referee losing the game completely.

Which other decisions did he get wrong?

s3-news-tmp-90538-barry_s--2x1--940.jpg

You are spot on with this - started and carried on by ex players - what a surprise.

UTB

"There WAS contact" "He's entitled to go down" are the 2 phrases that get me cursin at the tv box

and then there's "he won his team a penalty" WTF are they on about?

Danny has obviously never played football if he thinks that was a blatant penalty. Unfortunately, neither have most referees.

Off the top of my head, the big decisions in that game were:
  • Pedro yellow card (diving) - correct
  • Willian yellow card (diving) - wrong; but it wasn't a penalty either
  • Pedro second yellow (foul) - correct
  • Morata yellow card (diving) - correct: no "right to go down"; Morata felt a hand on his shoulder and threw himself to the floor
  • Morata second yellow (dissent) - correct: Morata carried on after being told to stop.
I make that 1 incorrect and 4 correct decisions. Neither goal was in doubt. The lack of control you cite seemed to me to be more down to the Chelsea players being incapable of getting over the Willian decision than a referee losing the game completely.

Which other decisions did he get wrong?

The first Morata booking. The difference between that and Pedro was the lack of contact.
Out of interest, what did Morata say to the ref to earn the second yellow card?
Stopping the game because Pinto had cramp was a particular highlight, made even more amazing when Willian was pole-axed in the centre-circle, stayed down and he waved play-on.

Danny has obviously never played football if he thinks that was a blatant penalty.

Ah, that old chestnut. Timm Klose's played the game - in fact, he played the game - and admitted he made contact with him. It was clear as day.

I thought he did well and showed a lot of bollocks in the Chelsea v. Norwich game, he wasn't perfect, but he was far better than most of what we've seen this year.

surely you must appeal like in cricket??

Ah, that old chestnut. Timm Klose's played the game - in fact, he played the game - and admitted he made contact with him. It was clear as day.

Contact doesn't mean he didn't dive though.

In ice hockey you can get called a 2 minute for a trip but the opponent also gets a 2 minute penalty for 'embelishment'. I'd be happy with a similar punishment in football personally.

Cameron Jerome v Bristol City the other night would be another prime example. Give the pen and then book him for going down like an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom