We ARE Sheffield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I read so often here and other social media about how people hate us being referred to as Sheffield, now to me, this can't be a bad thing there are 2 clubs from Manchester, 2 from liVARpool and numerous from London, but to be referred to as the only club from Sheffield is in itself a kind of back handed compliment, furthermore it further relegates the S6 boys into the realms of a non Sheffield team, as has been pointed out we are the original United, but now we are the only league club in Sheffield.
Don't hate it, rejoice as we are Sheffield and we are United.

I get what you're saying Rollerball and don't argue with your view it's just sometimes it can irk, like being referred to by your surname. Now that I used to hate and many years ago I was summoned to the deputy head's room and he referred to me by my surname, I told him there was a front door to my name and walked out.

If I had a pound for every time someone makes this point, I'd be able to buy John Fleck, David McGoldrick and Chris Basham and still have £23 to spend in the club shop.

I read so often here and other social media about how people hate us being referred to as Sheffield, now to me, this can't be a bad thing there are 2 clubs from Manchester, 2 from liVARpool and numerous from London, but to be referred to as the only club from Sheffield is in itself a kind of back handed compliment, furthermore it further relegates the S6 boys into the realms of a non Sheffield team, as has been pointed out we are the original United, but now we are the only league club in Sheffield.
Don't hate it, rejoice as we are Sheffield and we are United.
Keep up...

I think we should actively embrace being called Sheffield as this means that we are recognised as THE Sheffield team. This pleases me immensely, and I know for a fact that it it really pissing off some of the grunters I know. They are really hurting at the moment, and the Sheffield tagline given to us in the media right now, just twists the knife in their sides even more. It must sting... Ha ha.
Yeah but we’re not are we?

No matter how much I try to think about it hurting the S6 wankers that WE are called ‘Sheffield’ I hate it.. I go into a rant about it every time I hear it.. ‘we aren’t Sheffield, we are Sheffield United, The Blades, United... we are not Sheffield, there is only one team you can call Sheffield and that’s the oldest club in the world, we are the oldest United, so fuckin call us that’

stranger then turns away from this red faced lunatic and walks off

Not sure what the problem is,
imagine years ago when the worldwide population started talking about ‘hoovering up’, would the owners of hoover be saying ‘actually there are more than 1 brand of vacuum, please refer to it as ‘vacuuming with a Hoover”

we have football domination in our wonderful city that much that people simply refer to us as Sheffield. Take it as a compliment FFS

On the 24th Nov Sheffield United play Manchester United. Out of respect for both teams (us really) The endearing term “United” shouldn’t be used by any media outlets, commentators and pundits alike.
Yes they’ve been the media darlings for the last 50/60 years and we ain’t exactly set the world on fire in that time. But we are the Original United our name has been plagiarised by many over the years. The Geordies 3 years later and the Mancs 10 years after that.
We are SHEFFIELD UNITED and we don’t change our name to accommodate anyone!

I love it when people call us Sheffield , especially if it's an American or someone from.abroad who've genuinely no idea there is another team in the city

It's even funnier when they do but call us Sheffield anyway as if being outside the prem renders you insignificant

😆🤣😆

I like us being called Sheffield. It means them stupid, smelly cunts in S6 are now irrelevant.

I am ok with being called Sheffield in the media, they are Wednesday etc
Man United will always be called United

All Blades know we are ORIGINAL UNITED with Newton Heath copying us changing their name to Man Utd.

However do you know that regards pro clubs we are also the ORIGINAL SHEFFIELD with “The Wednesday“ waiting until the 1920’s before copying us and changing their name to Sheffield Wednesday.

Local and national media are rather insular and parochial as well as lazy. Understandable since there is only one Sheffield football team at the top level.
Interesting when you meet strangers in Asia, (usually taxi drivers) and when they discover you are English, the first thing they want to know is, do you support Manchester United, or Liverpool?
Down to them being a long term global brand with a marketing presence in Asia.
Just be happy Blades are known as an enterprising side, playing highly attractive football at the highest level. The only team presently holding this cachet. ;)

I hate it when others call us just 'Sheffield'. It's not like we've only started to hear it since we were promoted, so the "it shows people think we're the only team in Sheffield" line can go in the bin. What it shows is a mix of Ignorance, laziness and lack of respect.

Damn it, missed that, cheers and sorry but in truth it needs reiterating, it's not something to be pissed off about but something we should be rejoicing about.
Don't worry. There is much wisdom here.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so offended about something so trivial.
Only today i had someone get offended on my Facebook page. I deleted their comment on my post. He then called me out on it and asked why i'd deleted it then got offended when i replied "it was boring". Cue a rant about how Social media works because its "Social" or some bollocks to that effect...

To which i said, its my page and i decide what i want on there

The irony of it was that once he got wound up and flounced, his reply became interesting :D

They really should go back to being The Wednesday anyway shouldn’t they
putting my allegiances to the side for a minute, I actually think this would be a good marketing move for them and make them stand out among other teams with city names as prefixes. Also we can then truly become the 'Sheffield' team.

putting my allegiances to the side for a minute, I actually think this would be a good marketing move for them and make them stand out among other teams with city names as prefixes. Also we can then truly become the 'Sheffield' team.
We already have!

So when we talk about Everton we can call them Liverpool then same goes for the London clubs just call them all London ffs

Back
Top Bottom