Warnock wasn't a quitter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would've never believed that I find myself saying that I miss the 2006-2007 season in the Prem. A heartbreaking end to it then, it took me lots of time to get over it. But my respect to Warnock, he was no quitter. Talk all you like about how poor our hoofball was back then, but there were some guts and spirit then. Now our fans over here (many of whom were then backing up his sacking, I should think) seem to accept this dross we're being served. Some are rallying all of us to get behind the manager and the players, week in week out. Cos' if you don't, you're somehow a "pig"... FFS. It is for the manager to own his mistakes - which he never does, so someone should put a rocket in his arse - and then stop being such a defeatist. After that he should put rockets in the arses of the players. And everyone calling fans to put up with this shit and rally around the manager, well, they need to put rockets in their arses, too. There's nothing good or real "bladeness" in asking others to join applauding a hecking defeatist a manager and hecking defeatist a team. Get yourselves together, and tell the manager, the owner and the players, that this won't f*cking do! Just look at it: planning next season in the Championship at this stage of the season...! It's understandable, but no team in PL should ever be doing that. Blades should have never given up this fight to stay in the PL the way we did. How did we got so soft?
Chris Wilder in one single season outperformed Warnock's whole Premier League 'career', comfortably and easily.

After getting us promoted not just from the Championship, but League One too.

This season is atrocious, to some it is embarrassing. Fine - but some of the unintelligent, knee-jerk shit on here is unbelievable.

Chris Wilder in one single season outperformed Warnock's whole Premier League 'career', comfortably and easily.

After getting us promoted not just from the Championship, but League One too.

This season is atrocious, to some it is embarrassing. Fine - but some of the unintelligent, knee-jerk shit on here is unbelievable.
You have a nice walk in the memory lane. Bye.

Last edited:
No. This is the thread where he gets his obsession about being called a pig from, and where his obsession with me started. One of the first things he did with his new identity was return to this old thread to bump it. :rolleyes: (Not that it would've been difficult to work it out anyway).
https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/avoiding-relegation-next-season.81385/

EDIT: by the way, benn5712 's post #26 on there is very nearly genius 🤣
West Siberia almost got the nod from me.
Now I get it.
Thanks.

There are new threads out there just know, asking for Wilder to resign. (I never did.) Why is it that you, "Robboblade" (Bryan Robson liking blade??) and the Hamburger can't go on and spout out your malevolent s*ite in the threads like that? I reckon it is because you see me as more vulnerable to your bullying. Proud of that?

WTF are you on about? Seriously are you ok in the head? Bryan Robson liking blade? I think you need to shut the internet down for the evening you seem to be losing it.

West Siberia almost got the nod from me.
Now I get it.
Thanks.
So you dig all of these "Hamburg 'Blades'" having nothing else to do but to attack persons of different opinion? Thought you were better than that. Are you also into hounding people out of the forum for having 'wrong' opinions? Sure seems that way. Hamburger does that. Eventually he'll come after you, too.

The thing that some people disliked about Warnock was the very thing I liked, he was a bad loser. I liked that he was an un likeable mardy ref blaming type of manager. I wouldn't like him as a mate but as manager of my club I want a mardy twat.
His football, well !

If Warnock was given 100 million we’d have finished a season with 100 strikers.
I am laughing at that but know its true and half little, half big to play 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 stick the little man on the wing.

The thing that some people disliked about Warnock was the very thing I liked, he was a bad loser. I liked that he was an un likeable mardy ref blaming type of manager. I wouldn't like him as a mate but as manager of my club I want a mardy twat.
His football, well !
Warnock could be very frustrating because we sometimes (often?) played some really dreadful football, but we also sometimes played some great football. But I always accepted that we had no money, so his system of buy in bulk and sort through to find a gem wasn't unreasonable. His post match interviews were usually embarrassing (he got better as soon as he left us, which suggests to me that he was a Blade and losing hurt more with us than at other clubs, just my opinion).
He wasn't the best manager, though like all our managers he had to work with one hand tied behind his back. He had his faults but I really don't understand the vitriol he gets. I especially don't get this idea that he is supposed to go through his entire footballing career being careful to make us feel that we are his no.1 club and we, as fans, are his favourites.
When I see how Wilder is now a shit, mardy, selfish, never-ever-a-Blade, glad-he's-gone, left-us-in-the-shit, turgid-meister, I think it's just the Blades' way. What ex-manager do we actually hold in high esteem? When Warnock says "best ever fans" at a different club, maybe he isn't lying. 🤷‍♂️

Warnock could be very frustrating because we sometimes (often?) played some really dreadful football, but we also sometimes played some great football. But I always accepted that we had no money, so his system of buy in bulk and sort through to find a gem wasn't unreasonable. His post match interviews were usually embarrassing (he got better as soon as he left us, which suggests to me that he was a Blade and losing hurt more with us than at other clubs, just my opinion).
He wasn't the best manager, though like all our managers he had to work with one hand tied behind his back. He had his faults but I really don't understand the vitriol he gets. I especially don't get this idea that he is supposed to go through his entire footballing career being careful to make us feel that we are his no.1 club and we, as fans, are his favourites.
When I see how Wilder is now a shit, mardy, selfish, never-ever-a-Blade, glad-he's-gone, left-us-in-the-shit, turgid-meister, I think it's just the Blades' way. What ex-manager do we actually hold in high esteem? When Warnock says "best ever fans" at a different club, maybe he isn't lying. 🤷‍♂️
Erm,John Harris??

Are you disputing my point by naming a manager who last managed just under 50 years ago? Most Blades won't remember him. You might as well say John Nicholson.
Wasn’t “disputing your point”
You asked a question, I replied in good faith
And you really think “most blades” won’t remember him??
Really???

Wasn’t “disputing your point”
You asked a question, I replied in good faith
And you really think “most blades” won’t remember him??
Really???
Sorry, didn't mean that to sound aggressive. I was asking a question but making a point that we don't, your answer suggests that we do hold ex-managers in high esteem. However the fact that the name that comes to mind is someone who managed just under 50 years ago says it all. And I really do think most Blades don't remember him - know of him, maybe, but you have to be in your sixties to properly remember him as a manager and even with an even spread across the ages that means those Blades are in a minority. I was in First School when he stepped down, I don't remember him.
We've had good times under other managers since then, but if any get a mention it is likely to be accompanied by - and met with - more comments about the failings, poor football and insults than anything that suggests esteem.

I miss some of the Warnock days. Part of me enjoyed always being the underdog, everyone hating us, being a nasty side to play against, the physical side of his teams, the directness and the madness. We had some cracking days under him.

On the other hand, there were wins under Warnock that felt like losses because we ground out every point. And the only thing worse than watching passing football fail is watching long ball fail. It was that feeling that we could nick a result off anybody but when it came to games where we needed to set up to win, well that's just not in Warnock's toolkit. It's alright being great when your back's to the wall, but it's nice to go into a game now and setting up as though you're the better team.

At this point I'm more than happy to remember the good times under Warnock, the big cup upsets, the fight, the passion, the promotion, pulling off results against flashy Arsenal with Jags in goal, but let's never go back. If we've learned anything from Wilder's time it's that playing with an attacking mindset, with a bit of skill and style, is a lot more satisfying than hoping to nick enough points to get by.

It was that feeling that we could nick a result off anybody but when it came to games where we needed to set up to win, well that's just not in Warnock's toolkit. It's alright being great when your back's to the wall, but it's nice to go into a game now and setting up as though you're the better team.

"Real Madrid wouldn't have beaten that Gillingham team today".

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound aggressive. I was asking a question but making a point that we don't, your answer suggests that we do hold ex-managers in high esteem. However the fact that the name that comes to mind is someone who managed just under 50 years ago says it all. And I really do think most Blades don't remember him - know of him, maybe, but you have to be in your sixties to properly remember him as a manager and even with an even spread across the ages that means those Blades are in a minority. I was in First School when he stepped down, I don't remember him.
We've had good times under other managers since then, but if any get a mention it is likely to be accompanied by - and met with - more comments about the failings, poor football and insults than anything that suggests esteem.

i remember " gentleman" John Harris, now he WAS a throwback to a different age. He gets most credit for taking the Blades to our best era , certainly since I've been a Blade. That said it was Ken Furphy who took us to a 6th placed finish in the first division. Personally I've no idea why we were so rubbish the season after. I think I've erased it from memory possibly because I believed it was a temporary blip before we rebounded back to the top flight as per usual. Little did I know.

i remember " gentleman" John Harris, now he WAS a throwback to a different age. He gets most credit for taking the Blades to our best era , certainly since I've been a Blade. That said it was Ken Furphy who took us to a 6th placed finish in the first division. Personally I've no idea why we were so rubbish the season after. I think I've erased it from memory possibly because I believed it was a temporary blip before we rebounded back to the top flight as per usual. Little did I know.
It had crossed my mind more than once; if Currie and Woodward were as good as people say, how shit must the other nine have been? It’s like a team being relegated with Gerrard and Beckham in the side.

Warnock was great in his first few years especially,we played some great passing football at times,same as Bassett,both labelled long ball merchants,but Bassett teams also destroyed opponent's with fast,pacy,passing football.
Both managers could deliver dross,same as 90pc of any other manager of any club.Dyche is labelled the same, but Burnley can out football a lot of teams supposedly their betters at playing football "the right way",like they did yesterday.

I was one of those Warnock out people...
However, my reason for being so was for other personal reasons outside of football. As me and my family know him.

As the years have gone on since Warnock's so called "retirement" and hearing other top players from the past talk about him positively. I find myself conflicted. When Wilder went, a fleeting voice in my head said "hey, wouldn't it be good if Warnock came back." A quickly dismissed thought. As I imagined probably half of the fan base wouldn't want that.

Now what's gonna spin your head is when our next manager is going to be Chris Wilder when he returns from his 6 month sick leave, having avoided relegation... can't have that on his CV can we!? And after the board and chairman of the club have been shuffled.

It had crossed my mind more than once; if Currie and Woodward were as good as people say, how shit must the other nine have been? It’s like a team being relegated with Gerrard and Beckham in the side.
No doubt some of our more sage contributors will enlighten us. I haven't the heart to dig for the answers on history sites. Perhaps Silent will help ?

The most ridiculous thing about this thread (and, let’s face it, it’s got some stiff competition), is that Warnock did in fact quit when he left us.

Are you disputing my point by naming a manager who last managed just under 50 years ago? Most Blades won't remember him. You might as well say John Nicholson.
John Nicholson was never our manager. He was the secretary, dealing with players contracts and secretarial work. The football committee decided on team selection, the captain decided on tactics and trainers took charge of training.

John Nicholson was never our manager. He was the secretary, dealing with players contracts and secretarial work. The football committee decided on team selection, the captain decided on tactics and trainers took charge of training.
I know. I was being a bit tetchy.

Back
Top Bottom