Virgil Van Dijk

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

VVD is a fantastic player, a proper Rolls Royce & I reckon he only plays to around 75% of his ability in most games, if he gave all of himself in every game he would reach a level I don't think many players are capable of getting anywhere near.

He barely had to defend heroically today. Definitely seen better performances at the Lane but I agree he looked as though he could do it all if he had to. Disagree with some suggesting Liverpool are the best club team around however. Sincerely hope, and predict it’ll happen again, that City will catch them up. City are different gravy.

I always thought VBD was overhyped but seeing him live on the field just shows how good he is. Not only his ability but his desire to win, whenever other made mistakes he was at them, god knows who Henderson is Liverpool’s captain when they have VVD

I though their best players were their back 4. Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are quality, Matip steps out of defence very well
I thought Alexander-Arnold was genuinely horrific today. I know he's a good player but he had a mare

Agree that he is a quality player, maybe the best CB we've ever seen in the PL, and was glad that McBurnie gave him a tough afternoon. Although it was VVD that ultimately won the battle with Oli, he was made to fight hard for it throughout. However - considering that VVD usually plays with a cigar on - the last ten minutes were very interesting. I can't recall seeing Van Dijk looking that ruffled, he was extremely agitated and moaned at the ref and his fellow defenders a lot as they attempted to hang on. Whilst he's a great player and they got their win, the very fact that we had them worried was of great credit to SUFC today.

As well as forcing Liverpool to hang on and look ropey towards the end, we also forced a change of shape from their usual 433, some very soft and dubious fouls, some hoofed clearances and plenty of time wasting. Who'd have thought it, eh?

Excellent performance from United today. Proud of every single one of them. Fleck MOTM with a 9.9, absolutely outstanding - deducted the 0.1 for his crazy 5-seconds through on the Liverpool goal. Just f***** hit it FFS!

Didn’t know before today if he was maybe slightly overhyped? Well that’s that idea fucked off.

Best centre half I’ve ever seen come to the Lane I think and thoroughly deserves the awards and plaudits he gets. What a sublime performance. Won absolutely everything, no one got past him, no one came close in truth. I’ve not seen a centre half so aerially dominant in a long time.

And I’ll tell you what, McBurnie gave him one hell of a game. He’s earned his money this week and been made to work hard for that clean sheet. Robinson gave him a worry as well. Proud as punch.
Be impossible for you to say anything else.

Wouldn’t it ?

UTB

Agree that he is a quality player, maybe the best CB we've ever seen in the PL, and was glad that McBurnie gave him a tough afternoon. Although it was VVD that ultimately won the battle with Oli, he was made to fight hard for it throughout. However - considering that VVD usually plays with a cigar on - the last ten minutes were very interesting. I can't recall seeing Van Dijk looking that ruffled, he was extremely agitated and moaned at the ref and his fellow defenders a lot as they attempted to hang on. Whilst he's a great player and they got their win, the very fact that we had them worried was of great credit to SUFC today.

As well as forcing Liverpool to hang on and look ropey towards the end, we also forced a change of shape from their usual 433, some very soft and dubious fouls, some hoofed clearances and plenty of time wasting. Who'd have thought it, eh?

Excellent performance from United today. Proud of every single one of them. Fleck MOTM with a 9.9, absolutely outstanding - deducted the 0.1 for his crazy 5-seconds through on the Liverpool goal. Just f***** hit it FFS!

Might have been our goalie that dropped a bollock but it wasn't our goalie who got booked for time wasting .

I thought both the centre backs were Liverpool's best players. I thought Liverpool would be better but I still think City will win he league if we gift them the same openings they will wipe the floor with us.

Van Damme was a rock at the back. Looked a genuine class player. Had a bit of an off day passing though.

You can see why Liverpool have become contenders since he signed.

When I watched it back on MOTD , that shot Fleck had he was so unlucky , it hit the trailing leg of the defender as he slid past , Half a second later and he would have scored , he was just unlucky , as we always seem to be when we play the bigger teams !

VVD is a Colossus.

Blades gave Liverpool a real test though. Not concerned over Man city, Everton had a proper pop at them. Saw 3/4 of it.

He’s obviously a class act but for me the best three best defenders on yesterday’s performance were Egan, Matip and McBurnie.

Arnold and Robertson were poor by their usual high standards, they were that poor Klopp made them swap positions for the first ten minutes of the second half, partly down to our two great wingbacks and they still had no joy.

Van Dijk will have a lot better games than that, he was sloppy with the ball by his standard and would’ve been punished on a few occasions if we didn’t dilly dally with the ball too much.

As a side note, the movement of Mane is unbelievable, that ball from Van Dijk was world class and something they definitely work on at the training ground

There's a few posters on here who would've liked to have been down on that pitch trying to swap Liverpool shirts.#

Arse lickers.

Van Dyk distribution was crap.

John Egan shoulders ahead.

There’s a few posters on here who have such closed minds and tunnel vision that they are unable to recognise or give credit to absolute class when they see it unless its in a red & white striped shirt.

Sad individuals.

Reminded me of McGrath. Excellent.
That's what I thought
Watched him quite a bit through the match and was very impressed although I thought mcburnie played him well and we pulled him out of position a few times .McGrath would never have fell for that

Alexander Arnold is an alright Premier League defender but the weakest link defensively in that back line imo, but he makes up for it and then some with his ability going forwards.

That's what we successfully didn't let him do.

There’s a few posters on here who have such closed minds and tunnel vision that they are unable to recognise or give credit to absolute class when they see it unless its in a red & white striped shirt.

Sad individuals.

Well there needs to be a few posters on here who will only give credit to those in red and white stripes.

We've a 70+ post thread not only praising an opposing player but at the same time being quite critical of a former Blade (Harry Maguire).

At the same time we've a thread that has only 20+ posts about the performance of our very own John Egan.

I suppose that's a rational explanation but to be truthful I don't give Jack Shit about any opposing players we come up against this season.

Well there needs to be a few posters on here who will only give credit to those in red and white stripes.

We've a 70+ post thread not only praising an opposing player but at the same time being quite critical of a former Blade (Harry Maguire).

At the same time we've a thread that has only 20+ posts about the performance of our very own John Egan.

I suppose that's a rational explanation but to be truthful I don't give Jack Shit about any opposing players we come up against this season.
Too right. We’re quick to praise other people’s players but when it comes to performances from our own players you barely hear in peep in contrast.

Too right. We’re quick to praise other people’s players but when it comes to performances from our own players you barely hear in peep in contrast.
As long as the fans in the ground make all the noise to back our players, and back them on here for anything except lack of effort, I think it is fine for us to appreciate the quality of opposition players once the game is over. And one thing is for sure - in the first 7 PL games our inexperienced defence has been superb - close to the lowest number in the league.

Back
Top Bottom