Villa 1 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was another defeat for the Blades whose poor start to the season continued after they were beaten by Aston Villa on Monday evening. It is now 5 straight league defeats going back to the end of last season for Chris Wilder’s men. United actually gave a committed performance and kept a solid shape after losing John Egan to a red card on eleven minutes but lack of concentration on a set play again saw Konsa lose Stevens to score and United had no way back.

United sprang a few surprises by dropping Ollie Norwood in place of Sander Berge and also starting with McGoldrick and Oliver Burke up front with no place for McBurnie or Sharp. All thee of those left out were on the bench. There was no place for any of the new wing backs who had done well at Burnley with manager Wilder naming a more conservative defence with both Ampadu and Robinson named.

Villa gave debuts to big money signings Martinez, Watkins and Cash; with the latter two players who had been linked with the Blades in the summer but were boosted by skipper Jack Grealish committing his future to Villa for the foreseeable future after having signed a new contract.

United played their first league game in the new pink away strip as they returned to the scene of the first game after lockdown had ended in June with the controversy over the goal that never was.

Villa were on the attack early and Cash was all alone with Stevens nowhere near him and his deep cross was just too far for the stretching McGinn who had not been picked up either. On 3 minutes, another move was worked with Luiz’s dangerous cross headed just over his own bar from Basham leading to a corner. Hourihane took it but Mings could not get enough on it. It was nearly 5 minutes in before United actually had any possession and McGoldrick won a free kick but Lundstram did not beat the first man. A better cross from Lundstram nearly got McGoldrick in but Konsa got there first to clear. United made it to 6 minutes this week without conceding. Lundstram was then booked for a stupid challenge as he scythed down Grealish. He had not learnt his lesson from last week.

Disaster struck United on 11 minutes when Egan hauled back Watkins and was sent off. VAR looked at the award but went with the original decision citing him as last man which he clearly was and Ramsdale was not going to get the ball. It was a distance form goal but as soon as he grabbed his man he was in trouble. It was similar to the one where Christensen was sent off for Chelsea yesterday so at least the decisions have been consistent. United had nearly 80 minutes to play with ten men and as had happened at Newcastle, Egan had left his teammates with a mountain to climb.

United were struggling to get any kind of foothold in the game and more fouls from Baldock and Fleck saw Villa continue to threaten. They won a free kick which O’Connell flicked just past his own post. Villa were dominating the game and United now with a man disadvantage could not get going at all. Villa won another corner as Cash continued to cause problems down the right-hand side. The corner came in but the header by Luiz was straight at Ramsdale.

Villa continued to probe and have all of the ball as United could not get any kind of momentum at all. Baldock did draw a foul on his man to at least relieve some of the pressure in terms of Villa dominating the ball; even though they had not had many chances.

The game entered the half hour mark and Hourihane’s cross was cleared by O’Connell after Grealish had found an opening.

Villa did start to struggle to find openings though and United kept a solid shape. Ampadu came on for McGoldrick as United went back too a 5 at the back and just left Burke up front.

United had offered little as an attacking force but a good move saw neat play and Burke ran across the box and played in a delightful through ball and Basham was in on goal and was clipped as he got there ahead of Targett. The referee Scott pointed to the spot and after the VAR checks; the decision was confirmed. Targett was booked and not sent off due to the double jeopardy rule so the decision in this instance was definitely correct.

With no Norwood and Sharp, Lundstram took responsibility but his delivery was telegraphed and a great height for a keeper, Martinez sprang to his right to make the save. The disastrous start for the Blades had continued with the failure to convert this golden chance. There was no chance of it being retaken as the keeper had waited before making the save. Lundstram compounded his error with an appalling corner straight after.

Basham was now playing in a more midfield role as United changed things again with a 4-4-1 formation as United tried to ensure they were nice and compact. Basham was close to Grealish when he picked up the ball.

Villa moved it about on the left and it was knocked inside for Hourihane whose shot was blazed over when well placed. Grealish then won a corner in the next attack but United stood firm and were able to clear. United had defended well after the initial spell and were keeping a solid shape.

There was an extra four minutes of stoppage time to be played for the different stoppages. Villa continued to ask questions. A silly foul from Basham on McGinn led to a free kick right on half time. Grealish whipped it in but as Ramsdale stayed at home the ball evaded everyone.

The second half began with Konsu limping after he seemingly got injured as he came out but he carried on. Villa began with the ball and moved it about wide to create space and try and draw United from side to side.

Berge gave the ball away and Lundstram brought his man down leading to more possession for Villa for a period. Targett’s cross was held by Ramsdale though who took an inadvertent knock. Villa tried to find a chance through McGinn and Grealish but good work from Baldock saw United win the goal kick.

As the game approached the hour mark, Villa had struggled to fashion many chances but Watkins header was well over the bar. United had a bit of rest bite with Baldock in and then Berge had a chance but got the ball stuck under his foot when well-placed after running into the box. From the subsequent clearance, Villa broke up the other end and had another spell of play and continued to probe but United had held firm well so far. Basham conceded a corner before Davis came on for Hourihane.

For all the good work, poor defending undid United when the corner came across. Mings beat O’Connell to the ball who was blocked off again for the second week running and KONSA headed into the far corner of the goal with Ramsdale extremely slow to get down to the ball as it crept into the corner.

Osborn came on for Fleck as United tried to find new legs and impetus. The goal meant United had to come out and they made a chance when McBurnie came on for Basham.

Grealish had a shot wide after he ran into the last third. United tried to make headway with 20 minutes to play. United could not get much going and Grealish was pulling the strings and his ball led to Trezeguet clipping wide. United did not really look like coming back into the game with 15 minutes to go despite the changes to personnel and the formation.

Watkins came inside and curled an effort over the bar after nice, patient build up. The side most likely to get another goal were Villa as for all United’s hard work and organisation had been for nothing due to the poor goal they gave away.

A rare attack saw Burke do well and pull it back but it was cleared away from McBurnie and then Berge had a shot blocked. The next 10 minutes saw Villa have a lot of the ball and move it around but seemed content to just hold what they had. United could not really make any headway and it kind of petered out with a lot of tired legs. United forced a late corner but Berge hooked well over. The additional three minutes of stoppage time saw little happen apart from Grealish’s shot being blocked by Lundstram and United’s shocking away form going back into last season continued despite a determined effort from the ten men.

United – It has been a dreadful start really in terms of results and things just going wrong in every game! Maybe we cannot get a break but we have been our own undoing really. Today actually we saw better in terms of the collective after the red card but it was going to be so hard to keep any team out at this level for 80 minutes. We did some really good things in terms of organisation, work ethic and togetherness but even with that one moment of switching off and we have lost the game. Villa did not even look like scoring that much but you know that you make one error and it’s in the net. I thought our performance from the red card to the goal was really good but after they scored it was curtains sadly and for all the good defensive work, we undid it with a sloppy goal again. We never looked like scoring all night really but it was so difficult with us having ten men for so long and having to cover a lot of ground.

Going back to the start, we are not helping ourselves at all. A two goal start last week and then a red card this week. A lot will debate whether it was or wasn’t. I can see why it was given and the fact VAR had a look and still did not overturn suggested it was not obvious enough an error. It was consistent with the award yesterday from Chelsea so at least it was consistent but there will be a lot of red cards though this season if these are given. I can see a lot of frustration with Graham Scott but Egan just gets himself in a horrible position and sadly he gave the ref a choice. I have seen them as yellow and seen them as red. It was certainly not the howler many Blades fans are making out and many would have wanted it as red if it had been the other way. Technically by the rules it is the right decision as much as loads may protest. He fouled him and was last man.

After this we did well and settled down. We got the chance for the penalty but missed it and that was a real shame as it would have given us something to defend. I felt the defending from the red card to the hour mark was great. We kept a good shape and were solid and broke out when we could and were fine, I felt as we went to half time. I was pleased with howe we played

Second half this continued but, on the hour, we gave away the ball a few times, they forced us back and then of course got the corner and sloppy defending twice and it was in our net. After this it was over. We did not look like scoring and indeed Villa could have had more goals really. It was annoying as not even sure they were that great and looked quite clueless but once again a horrific set play goal to concede. Regardless of the ten men, if we keep making mistakes like the goals, we are conceding it’s going to be a struggle as we look quite impotent going the other way. I will say though for all the talk about strikers and our goal threat (yes, I know we did not score again or create much) we are not giving ourselves any chance if we keep making stupid errors or giving ourselves an uphill task to start games. This has happened both games.

We have now lost 5 straight defeats and only scored one goal and conceded nine. Indeed, this season we are the only Premier League team not to score a goal. Today I saw some positives with Burke and Ampadu doing well, some of the defensive solidity back despite a few key mistakes but again we never looked like scoring again but hard to be too critical on this front.

The form is really poor whichever way you look at it and we are stuck in a rut. People will say it is only two games but it’s going back to end last season. Oddly, I saw some good signs tonight in terms of the effort and covering and how organised we are. We at least got back to basics but know you make one mistake and you are done for as we have no flair, pace or creativity at the top of the field.

For all the talk of the strikers, we have no chance in games if we keep giving teams a start with goals/red cards. We have to be more solid and stop committing mistakes. If we do not do that and carry on like this; no doubt we will be near the bottom as the defence is our strongest part of the team but making stupid errors. Egan, O’Connell and Stevens all been guilty to start the season.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 6/10 - Actually did not have too much to do early on. A few balls flashed past him and he did stay on his line and relied on the defenders having to clear/head away. On the red card, debatable if he would have got there. I do not think he would but that is not a criticism of him as it was a straight ball Egan got done on. After this he had little to do until the goal and then once again was very slow to react. It was in the corner but went in with no pace but dived without moving his feet again giving him no chance of getting across. He got no spring in his legs yet again as was the case v Wolves on the header and seemed flat footed. On the pod we summed it up as like a computer game where you press the button to dive too late. Maybe I am being harsh.

Baldock 7/10 – A rash foul early on but then got fouled himself. Both wing backs gave too much space but oddly improved as the first half went on. He kept his shape and position but it was tough really to keep moving across. He kept at it and at least showed some desire to get blocks/tackles in when he could and even at the end tried to get forward. He did well as was often on Grealish but stopped him making too many penetrating runs.

Stevens 6/10 – Started giving Cash too much time and the chance in minute one saw him have loads of space to cross unopposed. The red card also came after he gave the ball away with a poor pass and they then turned it over the other way with a long ball. He did improve as the first half went on. His touch and concentration were off again for me. Defensively he did well for a spell after a poor start but then crucially made an error as on the goal he just loses his man and has to do much better. I think his form since we came back in June and to start this season has really dipped. He was good to excellent last year but now looks very average in everything he does.

Basham 7/10 – Started at the back as a wide centre back, then a centre back in a two and then in midfield. He showed some great defending early and then made the fantastic lung bursting run which won the penalty we wasted. Incredible that he won the header in his own box and then was on the end of the run. He showed a lot of running and hunger all game. Not sure I would have taken him off as he is out fittest player. I would have withdrawn Lundstram. I would have taken him off for anyone though!

O’Connell 7/10 – His mark would be higher outside of the mistake from the goal but it was vital. Might have been our best player until that error. Thought he made some good headers and blocks to begin with and was able to keep and hold a firm line. He looked solid and was in good areas. Vitally he lost his man (again) on the goal as Mings got across him and flicked on to lead to the goal. After this he got pulled about quite a bit and it was a struggle for all the defence. It was a shame as up to the goal he had been really good but a vital mistake. After this he seemed to get a bit ragged as they all did and they could have had more goals as there were space aplenty. All the talk about him v Mings etc but lost his header to him and he has made two errors in goals losing his man both weeks in front of Southgate so will be nowhere near England consideration.

Egan 2/10 – The debate over whether it is a red or not will rumble on but he got wrong side of the man and grabbed his man. Watkins had hold of him but when you get ball/goal side you are going to to get the decision. Egan was the last man. I have seen most neutrals say it was red and then Carragher didn’t and said it was harsh. I can see why he gave it as a red card taking off my red and white spectacles. He should not give the ref a choice. He should just run alongside him but his body position/starting position is all wrong. He has made some poor decisions (Newcastle/Millwall) for United and it keeps costing us. His lack of pace and ability to get run beyond was once again in evidence. Really let us down tonight. He has more red cards since the start of 18-19 season than any other player in the top four leagues (3).

Lundstram 3.5/10 – A nightmare really. Not really in the game apart from a stupid booking again where he dived in then took a bad corner. Then he had the penalty – short run up and easy save. He then took an awful corner too. A nightmare first half. Did he improve? Not really. He kept giving it away or looking for fouls and twice near the end he just gave up. He got outmuscled by McGinn once and just sat on the floor. Then he put them in. He did make one block and got tripped which moves him from a 2 to a 3 but he really had a really bad night. Only thing I will say he did not hide and actually maybe did more things (often badly) than Fleck. How he started after last week I do not know? If he thinks lots of clubs will be queueing up for him, he is deluded. On current form he’d do well to get a top half Championship club. Surely will be taken out of the team.

Fleck 4.5/10 – Early on we had no protection down that the left-hand defensive side but he did help Stevens and got tighter and started to get his foot in a bit. Hard for him attacking wide as we did not have much of the ball. He did get on it a bit but generally another game that sort of passed him by and he was taken off for Osborn after we conceded. Stevens, Egan, O’Connell and Fleck are nowhere near the standards they set last season (both to the end the season and to start this one). They need to quicken up and fast as they are behind the pace and not affecting games positively apart from mistakes. You could argue he was not much better than Lundstram. Like a few others, nowhere near where he was at last season.

Berge 6.5/10 – Neat and tidy early as he played at the base of the midfield as he surprisingly got the nod instead of Norwood but he was fine to begin with but like the rest of the midfield/attack (all one of him!), he had to do a covering/positional job after the red card and had little time on the ball at all as Viila had most of the possession. He did get on it a few times second half showing his body control and composure but also gave it away twice and set them on the attack. He had a good chance when clear but stumbled badly. Showed some good bits but when we needed that ball or run to make something happen not sure we saw it. I wanted more from him after they scored but he was a bit safe again. He needs to get on it and really drive us up the field. Saw glimpses but not sure he did enough again. We need more than a few nice passes and evasions of his men. He can glide past men and create space but need more of it rather than a few moments of this.

Burke 7/10 – Did not have much of the ball early on and the red card made it harder but kept working and then got in with a nice run and super ball that led to the penalty. I felt he was always grafting and trying to make things happen. He never stopped running. He had little to no service but tried his guts out and felt was one of few to come out with much credit and did enough to show he can be a factor/threat up there, albeit not maybe the most natural of strikers.

McGoldrick – Started with a half chance he could not quite get there and then after the red card off he went. Think him and Burke may start next week though.

Subs –

Ampadu 7/10 – Early chance for him due to the red card and he played in the middle of the defence with O’Connell. Did ok. Nothing flash. Just neat and tidy and got in some blocks/clearances. He was part of a solid backline that did it’s job well and showed he can play in a 2 also. Maybe Konsa was his man and they switched – I am not sure. I thought he was really good and will get his chance now. If he does well he stays in for me as Egan has to win his place back as he been quite erratic for a spell now despite all the plaudits/new contract and susceptible to the pace. Ampadu has more pace and can cover more so be interesting to see how we look with him in the middle of a three as I expect. Decent debut though.

Osborn 6/10 - Had half an hour but most of his work was defensively trying to plug gaps as they looked for another goal. He did at least try and get his foot in and showed some legs to get around. Not sure he did any worse than Fleck and indeed for me offered more.

McBurnie 5/10 – Headed two out and not sure he touched the ball apart from that. Hard with no service but did not influence the game at all. Surprised he was dropped but that maybe shows he is not the shoe in starter many think. I am not sure any of our strikers have done anywhere near enough to say it’s them and one other. I think he will rotate them all around until someone takes their chance and of course expect another player to come in.

Manager Wilder 6/10 – Changed the team and Burke did ok a did Berge in spells but personally I am not sure why Lundstram is getting picked on his performances. I would rather have both Norwood and Berge but maybe that is just me. His plan for a solid midfield with McGoldrick maybe just off Burke went out of the window when the red card came. After this we looked like the team v Brentford of a few seasons ago and I felt we would get something but as soon as the goal went in – the game was finished. His poorest spell in terms of consecutive defeats and a real test now. He faces a huge game with Leeds to come (Arsenal the week after of course) and it is vital we get something from that game. If we lose again then the pressure will ramp up hugely as a good chance it could end up being 8 straight defeats and we would be right at the bottom for the first international break.

Villa – For the most part they struggled to make headway and we defended well but on reflection for the amount of ball, corners and efforts they had – 1-0 was about right. We only had the penalty and can’t remember another effort. They did not have much but had a few shots wide or deflected or blocked and they were always the team looking to win it and score – which is understandable when we had 10. They actually did not break us down for all the ball and we kept a solid shape but only needed one goal and they knew it. After this goal the ref may as well have blown up as they saw it out easily and could have had another. They were not great but did enough and will just be pleased to get off the board.

Defensively we were miles better last season but at the moment they ended last year and started this one looking more solid and with Grealish and the attacking threats they have, they probably will create more. I still don’t think by season end we will be far off them position wise in the table and Wilder is a far superior manager to Smith in my opinion. Just hard when our manager does not get the same funds as he has chucked at him to keep signing player after player knowing some will stick and do well eventually.

Fair play to them. They had a big let off with the way they stayed up but have spent again and the owner is showing lots of ambition. Yes, it did not come off last year but the keeper they have bought, Cash and Watkins and keeping Grealish. They will have a better season this season. They are maybe gambling but the owner is massively backing the manager of course. We are well off them in terms of being able to do that which is disappointing but not anything we can do – they have richer owners. It is that simple.

Opponent Man of the Match – Not sure really. Konsa scored the goal and the keeper made the big save but Grealish even though not always having the final product; was still dangerous and always probing. He always has the ball and it seems magnetised to him. I think he is a very good player and for all his theatrics he is still someone I would love to see of his ilk at the Lane. A ball player who makes things happen and can penetrate and commit defenders, as well as assist and score goals.

Opponent Weak link – Targett was slow a few times and gave the penalty away of course so he takes this award. Watkins was ok but not sure he did that much outside of one curling effort but his run/pace changed the game of course. Cash started well but then faded as the game went on.

Referee/Officials/VAR – All the talk will be of the red card and more on that in a bit. The penalty was a clip. Not quite sure why it was looked at so many times really? It seemed fairly obvious. Outside of this Scott penalised us a lot but we fouled a lot I felt especially early as we seemed to lose our cool but did settle down after this. The red card will be talked about as a big moment and it was. I think he gave it from a long way away but VAR will have told him to stick with it. Maybe he needs to look again on the monitor but once he made his call there was never going to be any way he changed that so not sure it would have helped us. The assistant did not give it but then they don’t get involved in anything these days at all so not sure that was really relevant. They seem to give nothing really and even offsides don’t give them till long after play is stopped. Not sure what the point of assistant referees are anymore. Seriously. Be better to just let VAR decide if it’s offside and feel they are irrelevant in many ways. Going back to the red, yes it was a way from goal but looking back not sure Ramsdale would get it and even so not sure that is relevant as he had not got it as the foul was committed. Watkins grabbed him a bit but the bulk of the offence was from Egan who had a handful of him and pulled him back. He was wrong side and the aggressor with the ball Watkins side who got goal side. I am not sure it is the howler some are making out and it is a foul for me no question. Once he gives the foul then he has to think if it he is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity – well he was one on one with the keeper so in that sense it would have been. I am angrier at Egan for getting too tight and committing a stupid foul (again) and leaving us with an absolute mountain to climb. Think we need to look at our man than the ref. Don’t give him a decision to make. As I say loads will say it was a horrific decision but not sure it was. Could have been a yellow maybe but equally can see why it was a red.

Last edited:
Double jeopardy rule only applies if the player makes a genuine attempt to play the ball in the penalty area. CW's has argued Villa player made no attempt and should have been sent off. He's right.

Mostly agree with that report. Egan ............... what can you say done for pace by a long punt from Villa's RB position WTF everyone could see it coming why not take two steps back and come onto the ball to get rolled by a weedy twat who has more pace is criminal. Fleck hardly in the game again and why are we even playing Lundsram another one with no brains booked early on for diving in, did he not learn from the last game? I thought Berge showed some class touches along with Basham they were our best players. I was hoping to see Lowe play instead of Stevens who has been poor for a good while now. Again Stevens cost us a goal Lowe surely has to start against the dirties. Another low mark for McBurnie I see, what did he do wrong tonight he won some headers held the ball up when he could but was really short of service.

Agreed Deadbat other than JoC, who I thought you were too generous to (lost his man again) and Lunny who I thought you were a bit harsh to (as a thought he was the one midfielder trying to put balls into the box - albeit his deliver isn't very good from set pieces).

I have defended Lundstram when most were saying he was wank, for the first six months last season I thought I was right but he has gone backwards and is utterly woeful at the moment. When he scored at Southampton he hardly celebrated and tonight for the penalty his body language told you he was going to miss it. He clearly doesn't want to be here and should not be involved, the sooner we fuck him off the better.

Good report. Our midfielders are really letting us down. There's only 3 of them, they have to be at it.

Fleck can make us tick, but he has to take more ownership. Bags of talent, but look at the difference between him & Grealish, always moving, always demanding, probing, being accountable, making things happen.

I feel like Fleck is a confidence player and that's not good enough for someone like him. Get on the ball. Drive us forward. Help your teammates. Be available to receive. Pass and move. Put your foot in. Lead.

At the moment, he hides away a bit. Plays in bursts. When we're in the ascendancy his influence grows. But he doesn't do enough to drag us into the ascendancy in the first place. He has to do more for this team. He's key.

The same applies to whomever occupies the same role on the right hand side. I don't think Lundstram has that ability in his locker though, which is why we need another player in there. If Buendia is beyond us, can we go back in for Swift? Or do we shuffle what we have here (maybe using Bogle, or Ampadu in midfield).

We're four points down from the equivalent games last season, and we played both games post-Lockdown when our form wasn't as good! That's very worrying.

Good report. Our midfielders are really letting us down. There's only 3 of them, they have to be at it.

Fleck can make us tick, but he has to take more ownership. Bags of talent, but look at the difference between him & Grealish, always moving, always demanding, probing, being accountable, making things happen.

I feel like Fleck is a confidence player and that's not good enough for someone like him. Get on the ball. Drive us forward. Help your teammates. Be available to receive. Pass and move. Put your foot in. Lead.

At the moment, he hides away a bit. Plays in bursts. When we're in the ascendancy his influence grows. But he doesn't do enough to drag us into the ascendancy in the first place. He has to do more for this team. He's key.

The same applies to whomever occupies the same role on the right hand side. I don't think Lundstram has that ability in his locker though, which is why we need another player in there. If Buendia is beyond us, can we go back in for Swift? Or do we shuffle what we have here (maybe using Bogle, or Ampadu in midfield).

Agree on Fleck. Not impacting games at all. He is just letting things go on around him. Was a passenger again tonight.

Cheers as ever Deadbat.

I’d give Lunny an extra point or two, as, as you said, he never shied from the game, tried to show for the ball, and tried to make things happen. The quality wasn’t there at all, but the endeavor was. I really don’t buy into this “he doesn’t want to be here” narrative. He’s just an OK player playing against players that are mostly better than him.

Similarly, I’d drop a point or two on Fleck and Berge. Fleck just never really got involved.

For Berge, I can see why, after the Wolves game, he came in to the middle. There’s more defensive solidity, but his passing was pretty poor and he just wasn’t showing for the ball enough for me. We needed and we need more from him.

Burke showed a touch of class, but other than that, I felt he rarely was able to make the ball stick. A difficult game for him without a partner, but sometimes we needed him to be able to get a foot on the ball, but it rarely happened.

Encouraging signs: think Baldock is a classy defender. Basham is just more and more admirable. Ampadu looks more than capable of covering for Egan.

Slightly worrying signs: the bench again looked devoid of “game changers”. Egan hasn’t learned. As a team, we still look a little bit “naive” in terms of giving away fouls and also in our ability to “earn” them.

Poor enough to be dropped :
Stevens
Egan
Lunny
Fleck

Really annoyed with Fleck - he should be a leader in midfield after the red card , but was a passenger - is he too unfit to get involved ?

And Lunny is just back to his old ways - make him available on a free + get shut - poor at everything except lunging in from behind to get a yellow.

I don't know what Fleck does in preseason but he's the same every year. It takes him about 4 matches to get into it. We could well be starting on zero points by the time he starts showing up.

I though Osborn was far more effective and it's a pity we haven't managed to find a way for him into the team.

I thought the red was very debatable. Watkins started the grappling. Certainly 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other for a while. I also take Wilder's point. There was all that talk of double jeopardy. They totally missed the main point - did he make an attempt on the ball? Not at all. He took his trailing leg, meaning he was miles away from the ball. His aim was to impede Basham. Should have been a red and double jeopardy should not have applied.

Vilas were garbage. They crested nothing all game. Cash hit one decent cross in the first half. Watkins rarely threatened. There isn't a lot there for the money spent. If we'd have scored the penalty we'd have definitely took something.

There was one challenge I thought was a pen to you, but the player didn't drop so nothing was given. Think it was on Berge, but not sure.

We are just awful against 10 men unfortunately, but I think the match before the sending off was pretty decent.

No doubt big 3 points for us though.

Those shirts mind, what were you thinking? 😂

...and Lunny who I thought you were a bit harsh to
If you think that was harsh, I’d even talked him up to a 3.5 in the podcast. He was getting a 3 at best til I fought his corner, as I also thought his work rate and willingness to get involved was worth it.

Mind you, getting considered for that low a mark shows how dire his mistakes were early on in the match. I think I’d have given him a generous 1.5 for the first half; he just couldn’t do anything right.

Agree on Fleck. Not impacting games at all. He is just letting things go on around him. Was a passenger again tonight.
Agree somewhat, although it probably doesn’t help that the ball is sailing over his head 80% of the time

I was pleased (on the whole) with the defensive performance after the red card but I still do not see how this team will score enough goals to stay out of trouble.

There's a much bigger problem for me and that's our left side. Stevens, Fleck, JoC, Osbourn. It used to be our best side of attack but we seem to create very little from it conpared to the right. When we were dangerous down both, teams couldn't cope, but Baldock and Basham are for more likely to get forward early than Stevend and JoC. Lunny or Berge are more likely to put crosses in than Fleck.

We desperately need some creativity in midfield.

Fair report , OConnell did get locked off for the goal ,did you see who blocked him ? Bloody liability Lundstram.

Difficult to judge based on last night because of the sending off so early. Did not think we look good for the first 12 minutes. After that thought we defended well and everyone put a shift in. However still thought we did not do enough with the ball even allowing for the 10 men and just tossed possession back to easily and it was only a matter of time before a loss of concentration would cost us the goal. The penalty was our big opportunity to get something but of course wasted. Some individual player comments.

Ramsdale - not an error but many keepers would have saved it.
Stevens - off form and need resting now we have cover
Egan - stupid and not learned the lesson from Newcastle game. Could have also been sent of last week and if he looses fhis place after the suspension can't complain
Lundstrum - though some of the criticism last week was overly harsh but now needs to come out of the team.
Fleck - forgot he was playing. Sure his form will come back though but would be tempted to give Osbourne a chance as he seems to give us more energy at the moment.
Berge - good signs but want to see more from him because there is a really good player in there.
Burke - did well in the circumstances and showed some quality to get the penalty. Deserves another chance next week.

I think it is hard to judge based on last night.We were down to 10 men, played well with a lot of spirit, but still showed a lack of quality upfield. People are calling for big changes. Replacing Norwood with Berge, was pretty significant , as was going with Burke over McBurnie and Sharp. We just did not get the chance to really see it pan out.

I think scores would have been higher if we'd scored the penalty and they not scored from the corner.

I could see what Wilder wanted to do with his team selection, going for a more mobile midfield without the playmaking of Norwood. Lundstram is faster, covers more ground offensively and defensively and has been a goal threat by getting into the box from open play. A shame he's not in the form of last season.

We may have to realise that we gradually have to replace a few of the players that have got us this far. Some of them are getting to an age (30ish), where they can still do well, but their games could be tweaked a little, they could lose some energy, some pace. We may not see them dribble and skip past players as easily and we'll have to monitor that we have enough players who do that.

That energy, coupled with great motivation and the momentum from the promotions helped us last season. Our style was different, our players unknown, but opposition teams also learned a lot about as last season went along. We're no longer underdogs.

So a slightly more mobile midfield was picked, at the expense of Norwood's passing. We also sacrificed what I think Wilder sees as our two best finishers up front. But with McGoldrick back to link play and the running of Burke we had some decent balance for an away side probably accepting we would not be dominating possession. The sending off meant we'll never really know how the original plan would have worked though.

Great report DB.
My observations
Fleck was awful, he needs a kick up the arse or dropping, he's too slow to distribute the ball - but so is much of the rest of the team.

The red card, technically it was correct as Egan was the last man, Watkins was in on goal, Rammy wouldn't have got there, but does the law allow for both players tugging at each other, I think that is a problem area. The only thing that Egan could have done (as someone else pointed out) is run alongside his man and let the goalkeeper come out to cover angles but if the goalkeeper brings down the man then he gets a red - it's a difficult conundrum, the law needs looking at for me.

Berge should be stronger for a big man, he gets shoved of the ball to easily for me, but going to be an important player for us this season.

On the plus side I thought Ampadu looked terrific for such a young player, wish he was ours, would you leave him in or bring Robbo' back in ?

I was impressed with the cameo from Burke, he is quick! and he appears to have a "footballing" brain, I think he might prove to be a popular player on last nights showing but difficult to judge when we went down to ten men.

I've said this before and i will say it again McBurnie is not an "out and out striker" not sure where he fits in really, obviously at the moment with our dearth of strikers we need him in the team.

I like Osborn but like McBurnie i'm not sure of his best position.

Rammy' Oh Rammy' ! has he got lead in his boots, way to slow to react, Hendo' was hyper-active always moving, shouting, jumping up and down, Rammy' needs to do this, he needs to get some energy and motivation, jeez if i was a coach i'd be laying into him,
he might be one of them that needs "knocking down then picking up" to get him to take responsibility.

One thing we have to remember is that that half the team last night were young players who are (hopefully) on an upward trajectory and will keep improving as we progress.

Difficult times but i have every faith that we have the quality to improve - Wilder will see to it!

Upwards and upwards we go, UTB

I thought I'd wait until after the full-time whistle, and then give it a day, before returning with my observations. i thought you looked more or less how I'd expect you to be. You were rusty for sure and i think i team like yours needs a longer break between seasons, before a proper pre-season to get you fit and ready. I remember reading on here before we played the re-start game how much you'd be the fitter of the two, you'd be more up for it...and what it showed in both games is that you're a team of cycles of proper rest and recuperation before you can hit peak form and fitness, and then you are able to keep it at a very high octane level. it'll come for you but you need it come soon otherwise the pressure will start to build. I have no doubt it will and you'll be mid-table or so again.

There's no point going over the main talking points again because whichever way you look at it the ref made no real howlers, even if there are quibble points, and score the penalty and i doubt there would be too much grumbling.

For us we looked way off but with a more mobile forward and an excellent confident keeper. I think having the pace of Traore to come in will also help. Need an extra body in midfield though.

I guess you're sick of the sight of us now, particularly at Villa Park but we'll take the 3 points and move on. there's no doubt i'll be reading how much many of you hate us and our fans before we next play but dem's da beats when you are a Villa fan. We strive to be the best again. We expect to be challenging at the very top. We know that we aren't anywhere near that nor have we been in any kind of shake-up for many years. But we still believe we belong there and will never stop expecting more and more. When you have our history you'd expect or want nothing less.

Anyway, 14th for you this season is as low as I'd guess. Anywhere realistically between 8-14 is on. For us, well, world domination of course. Or, around 11-15th.

Back
Top Bottom