Roy's View From... View From Newcastle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don't agree with the "For us, Everton and West Ham, that's a decline".

If you're referring to just the days when Allardyce was there, that's fair enough.
But today Newcastle are nothing more than an average PL side, as close if not closer to the likes of Palace than they are to Everton/West Ham.
Aye, I was referring to that time. Now, you're right we're more like Crystal Palace than Everton or West Ham. Which sucks. I'm old enough to remember a time when we were legitimately challenging for the title, playing Europe, getting to cup finals, etc. Now... because of an owner who lacks ambition, who doesn't care a jot about the club, it's fans or it's future, now we're a midtable club, at best. I could stomach a disinterested owner if they employed a competent board to look after us, but he's paradoxically uninterested and a micromanager. He pushed for Joelinton at £40m against advice, but wouldn't let Benitez sign Rondon for £16m.

He'd rather spend £30m of his own money to get us back into the top flight, than trust the manager to spend half that on players who would have kept us up.

The hope is that whomever buys us from Ashley will, at the very least, appoint a decent manager and let him get on with things.

Aye, I was referring to that time. Now, you're right we're more like Crystal Palace than Everton or West Ham. Which sucks. I'm old enough to remember a time when we were legitimately challenging for the title, playing Europe, getting to cup finals, etc. Now... because of an owner who lacks ambition, who doesn't care a jot about the club, it's fans or it's future, now we're a midtable club, at best. I could stomach a disinterested owner if they employed a competent board to look after us, but he's paradoxically uninterested and a micromanager. He pushed for Joelinton at £40m against advice, but wouldn't let Benitez sign Rondon for £16m.

He'd rather spend £30m of his own money to get us back into the top flight, than trust the manager to spend half that on players who would have kept us up.

The hope is that whomever buys us from Ashley will, at the very least, appoint a decent manager and let him get on with things.
With a few exceptions, to be fair, you have been mostly a midtable club since I started going to games in 59

Look, Allardyce will get any team safe in the Premier League. For teams like Sunderland or West Brom, that's good. For us, Everton and West Ham, that's a decline (at the time he was in charge). When he took over at Newcastle, we were a consistently top half, often in European competition, easy on the eye team. He immediately sold our most technical players, brought in some barely mobile rock formations and told us all we were expecting too much when we said survival shouldn't be the limit of our ambition.

He insists he's not a longball merchant, but he fucking is. Took the pay-off from Newcastle, bought a villa in Spain and called it "Casa St James" as a big two fingers to us. Since he left he's had a go at the fans whenever he can.

I hate the bloke and hope he gets relegated. (Dunno the politics of this board, but the irony that a pro-Brexit person is now bemoaning the predicted problems caused by Brexit isn't lost on me either.)

HammerInPeace would agree on Big Sam?

With a few exceptions, to be fair, you have been mostly a midtable club since I started going to games in 59
No doubt. But my point was that, when Allardyce took the job, we were in Europe pretty regularly. And rather than improve, or consolidate, we were almost immediately in the relegation conversation.

Now, after a decade or so of Championship football, relegation fights and misery I'd happily take a few seasons of midtable mediocrity.

Back
Top Bottom