Roy's View From... View From Newcastle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Alright lads, Geordie here.

In 2007/08 Sam Allardyce went to Derby with a defensive line up including a midfield of Geremi, Nicky Butt, Alan Smith and James Milner. This was the Derby team that went on to record the worst season in PL history. In 2020/21 Steve Bruce went to rock bottom, winless Sheffield United with 5 at the back and one striker. The teams reflected that fear of losing in their performances. We deservedly lost both games 1-0. Nowts changed, bar the personnel.

You absolutely deserved to win, the red card and penalty were fair and it's not like we were any good before them. Sharp maybe could have seen red for his challenge, but I'm not kidding myself that you being down to 10 men would have changed the result in any meaningful way. We were disinterested, disjointed, disorganised. Wilson barely had a sniff, our 'false 10s' were cowering in our own half. We invited you on when, given your situation, we should have come out all guns blazing. The longer the first half went on, the more confident your players became and the more likely it was that you'd get a deserved goal.

Difference between us and you is that you've got a manager who's getting the most from (with respect) limited players. We have a sentient bin fire who can't get a tune out of over £100m worth of attacking players. He inherited a top half defence and in a little over 18 monhts has turned it into one of the worst in the division.

Honestly, I've watched us play under some awful managers, Ardilles, Allardyce, Carver(!), Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew, Souness, but this is the worst football I've ever seen. So passive, so disorganised, so toothless, so shit.

Newcastle fans didn't want him before he joined, #BruceOut was trending within a month, we were told by pundits and fans of other clubs that he'd do a good job and we're being typical deluded Geordies. But, yet again, we've been proven right. He was shit then, he's been shit, and he'll be shit forever.

Good luck with the rest of the season, I selfishly hope you pick up some more wins.

In 2007/08 Sam Allardyce went to Derby with a defensive line up including a midfield of Geremi, Nicky Butt, Alan Smith and James Milner. This was the Derby team that went on to record the worst season in PL history. In 2020/21 Steve Bruce went to rock bottom, winless Sheffield United with 5 at the back and one striker. The teams reflected that fear of losing in their performances. We deservedly lost both games 1-0. Nowts changed, bar the personnel.

You absolutely deserved to win, the red card and penalty were fair and it's not like we were any good before them. Sharp maybe could have seen red for his challenge, but I'm not kidding myself that you being down to 10 men would have changed the result in any meaningful way. We were disinterested, disjointed, disorganised. Wilson barely had a sniff, our 'false 10s' were cowering in our own half. We invited you on when, given your situation, we should have come out all guns blazing. The longer the first half went on, the more confident your players became and the more likely it was that you'd get a deserved goal.

Difference between us and you is that you've got a manager who's getting the most from (with respect) limited players. We have a sentient bin fire who can't get a tune out of over £100m worth of attacking players. He inherited a top half defence and in a little over 18 monhts has turned it into one of the worst in the division.

Honestly, I've watched us play under some awful managers, Ardilles, Allardyce, Carver(!), Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew, Souness, but this is the worst football I've ever seen. So passive, so disorganised, so toothless, so shit.

Newcastle fans didn't want him before he joined, #BruceOut was trending within a month, we were told by pundits and fans of other clubs that he'd do a good job and we're being typical deluded Geordies. But, yet again, we've been proven right. He was shit then, he's been shit, and he'll be shit forever.

Good luck with the rest of the season, I selfishly hope you pick up some more wins.
I don't think there's a team that Brucey has ever managed that likes him since he left. I honestly couldn't believe how poor you lot were yesterday, first half especially - time and time again they turned over possesion which is what we're usually very good at! It'll be interesting to see how you get on this second half of the season and it's probably a good job you have a few points on the board already but you may well still end up coming down with us I feel.

I was stunned by your negative approach. We are a terrible Premier League team this season, with no confidence and loads of injures. Yet you turned up like we were Barca. It was baffling.

I don't think there's a team that Brucey has ever managed that likes him since he left. I honestly couldn't believe how poor you lot were yesterday, first half especially - time and time again they turned over possesion which is what we're usually very good at! It'll be interesting to see how you get on this second half of the season and it's probably a good job you have a few points on the board already but you may well still end up coming down with us I feel.
That's the fear. End of last season we were all excited about being bought by the Saudis, joking about signing Bale, hoping they'd appoint Pochettino, dreaming about the improvements to the city, the club, the stadium etc. Now we're dreading every fixture, suffering terrible football, nervous about relegation.

Our only hope is that there are 3 worse teams than us. I do think it's too big of an ask for you to survive, and West Brom look terrible. So realistically it's between Fulham, Birghton, Burnley and ourselves for 18th. Both Brighton and Burnley have enough quality/experience to get themselves out of it.

The frustration is that we've got the players to be a midtable side. Wilson, ASM, Almiron, decent CBs and two very good 'keepers. RB had pretty much the same defenders and we were really fucking good at grinding out wins and draws.

Bruce is lucky there are no fans in the grounds.

I was stunned by your negative approach. We are a terrible Premier League team this season, with no confidence and loads of injures. Yet you turned up like we were Barca. It was baffling.
Approached most games the same way. Bruce has banged on about playing on the front foot for 18 months. We've signed some good attacking players and yet we approach every game like Oliver asking for more.

Ask the pundits and we're hard to break down, that Bruce knows how to organise a team, that he'll also get us playing more exciting football than Benitez. I guess seeing your team ship loads of goals after another gutless performance will get your heartrate up a bit...

We have been totally bereft of confidence all season which has dragged into the well of despair. Now someone's sent a bucket down and we might get pulled up.
Last night after Saturday's cup win the first signs of a return of belief were there.
The lucky part was Newcastle were the worst team I've seen since the prem started. Only Wilson looked to have any quality and the big centre back. The passing was poor the movement pedestrian and the effort below standard.
We've been poor and losing games But never played as badly as that . Even our worst display at Southampton we created a few chances.
Unless something changes then that toon team look like they could snatch a bottom 3 berth

Cheers Roy that was very, very enjoyable. They’re in real danger of getting sucked into the dogfight & losing to us as the “worst PL team in waiting ever” will be a hammer blow to them psychologically. Having ol’ cabbage heed at the helm steering the good ship Ashley towards the whirlpool of relegation makes it all the more satisfying!

Clean up on the Fray Bentos aisle?

Strong song choice, don’t think I’ve heard that in at least a decade, and forgot it existed. Which is fitting as I’d also forgotten what enjoying a league match feels like til last night.

Last edited:

how refreshing to find an opposition fan who doesn't want to come on here and troll us.

Fair play to you.

All the best

UTB

PS: Sorry..... we're glad you took Bruce from the pigs - he had the makings of actually doing something with them.

Back out of hiding - that "Views From" just saved my season, and might have gone some way to restoring my sanity.

He will be the manager at a club whos chairman really does know about obese cockends within the month 🐽

Thanks Roygbiv - I enjoyed reading that!

I was introduced to Steve Bruce by a friend when I was in Portugal some years ago - he asked me which team I supported, and when I said Blades, he replied ''I feel sorry for you - you don't follow football then" to which I delivered my unprintable one word reply. My opinion hasn't changed - he is just a bigger one now!

There are some Allardyce fans on here. Best not upset them.

If it makes you feel any better you did us twice last season and one was a via the help of a dodgy VAR decision.

We know what Bruce likes his teams to do as he’s done it with our spastic (can I say that?!) porky neighbours.

It’s turgid stuff, all you have to do is attack us an we fall to pieces, you just didn’t bother last night. Wilson is a bit annoying, he’s the weakest tough man I’ve ever seen. Fraser is an annoying little prick as well, if he’d have been on the receiving end of those fouls he got booked for he’d have been up for a place in the Olympics with the pirouettes and rolls he can do.

There are some Allardyce fans on here. Best not upset them.

If it makes you feel any better you did us twice last season and one was a via the help of a dodgy VAR decision.

We know what Bruce likes his teams to do as he’s done it with our spastic (can I say that?!) porky neighbours.

It’s turgid stuff, all you have to do is attack us an we fall to pieces, you just didn’t bother last night. Wilson is a bit annoying, he’s the weakest tough man I’ve ever seen. Fraser is an annoying little prick as well, if he’d have been on the receiving end of those fouls he got booked for he’d have been up for a place in the Olympics with the pirouettes and rolls he can do.
Look, Allardyce will get any team safe in the Premier League. For teams like Sunderland or West Brom, that's good. For us, Everton and West Ham, that's a decline (at the time he was in charge). When he took over at Newcastle, we were a consistently top half, often in European competition, easy on the eye team. He immediately sold our most technical players, brought in some barely mobile rock formations and told us all we were expecting too much when we said survival shouldn't be the limit of our ambition.

He insists he's not a longball merchant, but he fucking is. Took the pay-off from Newcastle, bought a villa in Spain and called it "Casa St James" as a big two fingers to us. Since he left he's had a go at the fans whenever he can.

I hate the bloke and hope he gets relegated. (Dunno the politics of this board, but the irony that a pro-Brexit person is now bemoaning the predicted problems caused by Brexit isn't lost on me either.)

Putting turbo infront of words ie turboshit is an army trait .The favourite one is turboclip.....clip meaning tired or shaggedout ,chin strapped....It is what you would say after a gruelling 10 mile Tab (tactical advance to battle)..The military had a language all of its own ....

Look, Allardyce will get any team safe in the Premier League. For teams like Sunderland or West Brom, that's good. For us, Everton and West Ham, that's a decline (at the time he was in charge). When he took over at Newcastle, we were a consistently top half, often in European competition, easy on the eye team. He immediately sold our most technical players, brought in some barely mobile rock formations and told us all we were expecting too much when we said survival shouldn't be the limit of our ambition.

He insists he's not a longball merchant, but he fucking is. Took the pay-off from Newcastle, bought a villa in Spain and called it "Casa St James" as a big two fingers to us. Since he left he's had a go at the fans whenever he can.

I hate the bloke and hope he gets relegated. (Dunno the politics of this board, but the irony that a pro-Brexit person is now bemoaning the predicted problems caused by Brexit isn't lost on me either.)

Don't agree with the "For us, Everton and West Ham, that's a decline".

If you're referring to just the days when Allardyce was there, that's fair enough.
But today Newcastle are nothing more than an average PL side, as close if not closer to the likes of Palace than they are to Everton/West Ham.

Back
Top Bottom