View from Derby fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was out with a Derby fan last night and the anti United chants were mentioned. "They don't like you much do they".

To be fair I know a man u fan who attends the lane every now and then. HG e outs a stop watch on how long it takes for the first anti-wednesday chant.

Perhaps it's a Sheffield thing. I'd always assumed everyone chants songs about their rivals

I was out with a Derby fan last night and the anti United chants were mentioned. "They don't like you much do they".

To be fair I know a man u fan who attends the lane every now and then. HG e outs a stop watch on how long it takes for the first anti-wednesday chant.

Perhaps it's a Sheffield thing. I'd always assumed everyone chants songs about their rivals

Newcastle sang nonstop about Sunderland.

Can someone please explain why we sing the (Because of boxing day song).
To me it just glorifies there win which I was there and would rather forget it.
Sing about our win at the sty ffs.

The same reason Sam Houston's army cried 'Remember the Alamo', I suspect.

Also the phrase “Sheffield’s Red and White” instantly acknowledges the existence of another club in Sheffield of a different hue.

You would have a job swinging a pig from Hyde Park Flats to Wadsley bridge ,shall we stop that too ?

Our Kop was singing it in the return fixture Easter 1980.
It seemed relevant at the time. When you suffer a disastrous result, some would choose to forget it as though it never hapoened
where others would choose to remember it, to inspire them to bounce back, never let it happen again and fight ever more.

The Boxing Day derby has similarities to our recent Bouncing Day derby.
Both matches occurred when one club had been in the clear ascendancy whilst the other had seen its worse spell ever.
One club was big favourites and the other club was ridiculed as a “pub team” with little chance.
After the shocking results one set of fans went into a depression for a few months whilst the other set of fans went around with a permanent smile on their faces.
Those results were watershed moments and just exagerrated the “feel good`’ and “feel bad” atmospheres around each club.
The “feel good” vibe of 1980 meant SW were promoted to and competing well in the top flight in 1985, whereas SU slipped into the 4th division in 1982.
Whereas the “feel good” vibe of 2018 meant SU were quickly promoted to the PL performing well where as SW are drifting around mid table in the CC.

I agree, and we've tried to change the words when it's sung to "because of bouncing day", but it wasn't catching on. I've given up.

If memory serves, Portsmouth and Southampton loathe each other.

Does anyone know if the same rivalry exists between the Bristol teams...

I've been in both Southampton and Bristol when there's been local derby matches. Loathe is an understatement in Southampton/Portsmouth - it's war. It's vicious in Bristol - the chanting of 'Alright, me lover' was brutal. Lots of police though. And as for the songs … 'Goodnight Irene' … what can one say? West Country rivalry is not nice. In truth, there's violent hatred in Bristol too - they say that historically it's a class thing.

I hate it when we sing about them, especially when we’re on telly. It gives them the satisfaction of knowing they still mean something to us.

Why give them the recognition, they’re a nonentity?

I thought every team called their rivals pigs until a few years ago :oops:

If memory serves, Portsmouth and Southampton loathe each other.

Does anyone know if the same rivalry exists between the Bristol teams...

Well City fans burned down Rovers‘ ground so I think it’s pretty intense yes.

Back
Top Bottom