VAR gives us more hope.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I watched 10 mins of the Glasgow derby earlier. Scott Brown got elbowed in the face in the area before a corner was taken. Surely it’s a penalty and red card, the ref gave a yellow and told them to carry on with the corner. Bizarre decision.

I'd say that is wildly optimistic. Man U's hand ball at PSG tells me that VAR is not likely to bring justice in the way you hope

I happen to think it was deliberate handball in a very subtle, crafty manoeuvre. Nevertheless it has to be a fact that any system will only be as good as the panel making the decisions. Surely everybody has seen so many examples of justice which outweighed any doubtful cases.

As long as the panel makes the decisions, there is less pressure on the refs from so-called superstars.

I think VAR is superb and essential to all top sporting events, fairness and accuracy should be a given. However, I have no faith that either FIFA, UEFA or the FA will make it happen. 2 top aussie cricketers banned for a year for serious cheating, in my view worse than Bamfords dive, I can't see anything more than a 3 game ban.

Some of my thoughts
Something to nick from cricket and tennis is the managers had 2 reviews a game the players the surrounding of the referee could be policed more like rugby and it makes it very different with players appealing to their managers rather than the ref. Managers would soon deal with the false appeals if they lose one of their few chances to change a decision.
It also needs to clarify that even if the ref saw it and got it wrong doesn't mean you got away with it.
It isn't North Korea let the managers say what they want after the game.

I watched 10 mins of the Glasgow derby earlier. Scott Brown got elbowed in the face in the area before a corner was taken. Surely it’s a penalty and red card, the ref gave a yellow and told them to carry on with the corner. Bizarre decision.

It was Scott Brown. Reason enough for just a yellow. (His powers of recovery from unconscious to banter with Flanagan in seconds are excellent though. Great to watch Kamara old man him as well. :) ).

Couldn't be a penalty, ball not in play?

Don't think you can give a free kick/pen for a foul whilst the ball is not in play

Just on from previous post, after taking "representations" the PGMOL have changed their mind and will now have pitchside monitors.

If var is used properly to the letter of the law most games will end up 7 a side.

If the Millwall last minute equaliser had cost us promotion (without VAR) and VAR existed in that match - you'd all have been thanking VAR on ruling the goal out for a foul on Didsy from Leonard.

You just can't win can you

Mixed feelings about this piece as I always have had about Keys as a journo.

Completely agree that Mike Riley was a rubbish referee and have never understood how he got and keeps the job as top man at the referee’s company.

On the other hand, the only way Keys could see that Smart had got the offside decision wrong from 3500miles away was because of the video. So how does that translate into a demonstration of Key’s opposition to VAR?

Reactions: Dkc
Is this that guy who plays as a centre half for Liverpool? If so, sign him up.

He'd give us more hope, definitely.

Blades new system to inform fans of VAR decisions due to budget constraints :)

Absolute VAR shitshow in tonight's Nations League game.

Technically it worked but it was such a mess.

I still cant believe they gave that pen.

It's just a whole new can of worms for me, in that situation, everything that happened after the penalty under review isn't relevant if the penalty is given, so what if someone gets sent off? And what of the 3 minutes of play? Add it on? They played it but it doesn't mean anything because it was pulled back.

Add that it just takes far too long and it isn't getting any quicker despite it being a thing for a couple of years now and I'm concerned.

In theory it's fantastic and I support it, in practice it's not ready for me, not yet.

It's just a whole new can of worms for me, in that situation, everything that happened after the penalty under review isn't relevant if the penalty is given, so what if someone gets sent off? And what of the 3 minutes of play? Add it on? They played it but it doesn't mean anything because it was pulled back.

Add that it just takes far too long and it isn't getting any quicker despite it being a thing for a couple of years now and I'm concerned.

In theory it's fantastic and I support it, in practice it's not ready for me, not yet.

It’s not perfect and never will be, but by using it more and more it will improve.

No sport has brought in video replays and gone back, that says it all to me. It’s crazy we’ve had to wait until 2019 for it to be introduced into the top level of English football.

It’s not perfect and never will be, but by using it more and more it will improve.

No sport has brought in video replays and gone back, that says it all to me. It’s crazy we’ve had to wait until 2019 for it to be introduced into the top level of English football.

They just need to cut down on the amount of opportunities for the game to go on while a decision is being made, and speed up the decisions.

For me when it comes to penalties it'd be better to blow for review, maybe they can have a different whistle or do two toots or something to differentiate it.

Penalty appeal, toot toot, check, if yes - pen, if no - GK plays it as though he's collected a ball. In my opinion that'd be better than what happened tonight but it depends on one of the officials spotting something dubious.

They just need to cut down on the amount of opportunities for the game to go on while a decision is being made, and speed up the decisions.

For me when it comes to penalties it'd be better to blow for review, maybe they can have a different whistle or do two toots or something to differentiate it.

Penalty appeal, toot toot, check, if yes - pen, if no - GK plays it as though he's collected a ball. In my opinion that'd be better than what happened tonight but it depends on one of the officials spotting something dubious.

I like how the match continues to be honest, one of the biggest criticisms of video replays was there would be loads of stoppages and matches would go on for hours etc.

Last night show perfectly how it’s right to keep playing while the VAR ref takes a look. Had the Swiss penalty not actually been a penalty then Portugal would have been awarded a penalty, stopping the match would have prevented that.

VAR replays to be shown on screens at Premier League matches - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48534031
Danny04 is on the case...

Sheffield United: The important VAR update that may affect Blades fans at Bramall Lane in the Premier League
Some VAR decisions will be shown on Bramall Lane’s big screens in games involving Sheffield United next season, the Premier League have announced.

United's big screen at Bramall Lane, shown here in 2015

Top-flight clubs have been updated on the plans for the introduction of the Video Assistant Referees (VAR) next term, including in-stadium communications for fans and decisions overturned due to the technology.
A Premier League statement read: “Premier League clubs were today provided with an update on plans for the introduction of Video Assistant Referees (VAR) in the competition next season.
“This included details on in-stadium communications, in particular when there is a clear delay to a match because of VAR, and when refereeing decisions are over-turned due to the intervention of VAR.
“The Premier League has created graphics which will be displayed on giant screens to explain any VAR-related delay to a match, and any over-turned decision. Additionally, if the VAR believes there is a definitive video-clip which helps explain an over-turned decision to fans, it will be broadcast on giant screens.
“In addition, the Premier League is investigating the possibility of messages and video-clips being viewed on handheld devices via an app.
“For clubs which do not have giant screens in their stadium, VAR communications will be made via a combination of PA announcements and messages on scoreboards.” Link

Good luck with that. The replays of goals are barely visible.

When Basham gets turned inside out by Salah and he recovers to get a toe on the ball and Salah dives for a pen. VAR will be the saviour.

Anyone who says it ruins the experience I cant say are wrong, IMO its introduced a whole different level of tension and suspense. I went to the City v Tottenham CL game at the Etihad, Sat down as I do as a neutral and yet celebrated the City "Goal" as if it were the blades playing and then felt the same as everyone around me when it got ruled out.

When Basham gets turned inside out by Salah and he recovers to get a toe on the ball and Salah dives for a pen. VAR will be the saviour.

Anyone who says it ruins the experience I cant say are wrong, IMO its introduced a whole different level of tension and suspense. I went to the City v Tottenham CL game at the Etihad, Sat down as I do as a neutral and yet celebrated the City "Goal" as if it were the blades playing and then felt the same as everyone around me when it got ruled out.

And Sterling was offside of course, that is the whole point.

Man City would have done the Quadruple now, Klopp would be the perpetual Final Loser, all on the strength of a missed offside by an Assistant Referee.

Any system is only as good as, and dependant on, the people working it. In tennis, cricket and rugby nobody bats an eyelid when incidents are referred.

As you say mancunianblade , it adds to the tension and the spectacle. Most of all it reduces errors, some of which were simply undetectable by the human naked eye.

For our team, it will generally reduce the conscious and unconscious bias that referees have towards bigger clubs, though that will still prevail to some degree in the nature and frequency of referrals under the extreme pressure from the big club players and their famous managers.

Day 1, Season 2006; Rob Styles blows his whistle when Gerrard dives - penalty. VAR referral, no contact proven on screen, penalty declined. We earn a point.

Ironically these days the penalty might well be given but in those days it was an outrageous decision, a precedent I reckon.

And Sterling was offside of course, that is the whole point.

Man City would have done the Quadruple now, Klopp would be the perpetual Final Loser, all on the strength of a missed offside by an Assistant Referee.

Any system is only as good as, and dependant on, the people working it. In tennis, cricket and rugby nobody bats an eyelid when incidents are referred.

As you say mancunianblade , it adds to the tension and the spectacle. Most of all it reduces errors, some of which were simply undetectable by the human naked eye.

For our team, it will generally reduce the conscious and unconscious bias that referees have towards bigger clubs, though that will still prevail to some degree in the nature and frequency of referrals under the extreme pressure from the big club players and their famous managers.

Day 1, Season 2006; Rob Styles blows his whistle when Gerrard dives - penalty. VAR referral, no contact proven on screen, penalty declined. We earn a point.

Ironically these days the penalty might well be given but in those days it was an outrageous decision, a precedent I reckon.

Agree completely. I think much of the opposition to it derives from the media telling everyone it’s bad and that it’s going to kill the game etc etc when in reality they’re just concerned about the lost column inches bad decisions equate for

As show them on our screen I might as well play them to the stand across from my phone. Our screen is proper crap.

Our 2nd against Derby (offside)

Our winner against Boro (pushing)

Our 2nd against Ipswich (blocking keeper)

Just three goals off the top of my head from last season VAR would have ruled out.

Can’t wait 😡

Our 2nd against Derby (offside)

Our winner against Boro (pushing)

Our 2nd against Ipswich (blocking keeper)

Just three goals off the top of my head from last season VAR would have ruled out.

Can’t wait 😡

Don't recall us having anywhere near that level of fortune last time we were in the Prem.

It should in theory reduce the bias. However, as its the same league referees manning the VAR, I don't expect much change in the way of the big clubs getting all the decisions. For example if the Gerrard scenario were to happen now, I would expect that the penalty would be given, and that we are led to believe VAR is checking the validity and for nothing to be said or shown on the screen as the refs in the dark room refrain from showing us any replays and decide to go with the original decision.

So for those worried we won't be able to go down the pub after a game and moan about the reffing decisions anymore post-VAR, just you wait.

Back
Top Bottom