VAR gives us more hope.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm not looking forward to goals being disallowed. Just how annoying is that going to be. Another thing is players hounding the referee to play it back.

Correct, it used to be "Don't argue with the ref, he's not going to change his mind"

Isn't VAR there to help the ref, if he is clear in his own mind he doesn't have to refer it to VAR ?
That's how the Premier League will screw us over this time

Nope.

Disastrous development. Already shown to just offer yet another level of opinion. VAR will shaft us at some point next season.

Demanded by TV, made by TV, for TV.
it will shaft Man United more ;) they've been riding the Munich sympathy for decades

Couldn’t agree more. VAR is entirely a function of (i.e., it is prompted by, promoted by, made seemingly ‘necessary’ or desirable by) developments in media/technology and their disproportionate influence over how ‘we’ now think about the game. It is emphatically not a function of football. To me, this is where the principal debate should be.

The debate about fairness, and getting things right, is a valid one. But it is a secondary debate.

And no one understands this more than cricket lovers, as per SouthEssexBlade , who’ve had to live with the impact of the decision review system on the game. The great surge and release of adrenaline/celebration that used to accompany an appeal for a wicket and the raising of an umpire’s finger, in a packed ground at a crucial moment during a key phase of play, has now become “Blimey, that’s interesting, I wonder if the guy in the truck with the TV will give it”, often followed by several minutes of sitting around peering at a screen while all that energy and joy is sucked into a big black hole the size of Hillsborough.

But cricket umpires were guessing a lot of the time and made so many mistakes. Spin bowlers thrive now thanks to ball tracking. The old days were exactly the circumstance umpires could favour big nations, or their own, if they were dodgy, and did, no particular nationality needs the mention.

SUFC were diddled 1st home game v L'pool , West Ham away, Liverpool away, Man Utd away. West Ham were favoured unbelievably at Blackburn away. Heskey got away with murder in the last game of the season at BDTBL.

Won't happen next season.

Half of Billy's goals this season would have been disallowed with VAR. His little push on his marker before pretty much every one of his header goals will be spotted. Especially with the likes of David Luiz throwing himself to the ground like a dying swan.

I posted this on another thread but the Premier League are doing VAR differently from the rest of the world. Everywhere else has a little TV screen next to the pitch. The video ref will alert the on pitch official if he feels that he has made a compelling mistake and the referee will then go pitchside and review the incident before making a final decision (except for offside calls where the Video ref will inform the on pitch officials if a goal should stand or not).

In the Premier League, there will be no pitchside TV. The Premier League are promoting 6 current championship referees to be video officials. They will watch the action and if the referee has made a mistake they will tell him. The referee will then make the decision whether to overturn or not based on what he is told by the video ref. No review pitchside.

Not sure I like this.

I thought VAR was designed to still keep the final decision in the hands of the ref on the pitch, giving him the opportunity to reassess something he's missed.

Having an eye in the sky that can continually overrule the ref will still allow for preferential treatment.

As others have said - the PL is and has always been designed to protect their favourites. VAR won't change that.

It will help us more but I can see handballs being given more

Half of Billy's goals this season would have been disallowed with VAR. His little push on his marker before pretty much every one of his header goals will be spotted. Especially with the likes of David Luiz throwing himself to the ground like a dying swan.

That’s the problem. Are little nudges and gentle pushes fouls?
If it is, then there might be 4 or 5 penalties in some games.
Football is traditionally a physical contact sport, so there’s always going to be little pushes and nudges.

Var is ruining games for the fans. You can't celebrate goals anymore real time.

So many VAR decisions are still down to interpretation and are still debated, they're rarely black and white. Slowing everything down has a dramatic effect too, tackles look far worse, pushes/pulls look far worse.

It's bullshit.

Reactions: Dkc
I think VAR is fantastic, to be honest - not flawless (especially in the World Cup, there were 1 or 2 penalties given for handball that were very soft), but much more of a force for good than bad, for fairness than unfairness, and (if there is a 'big-team' refereeing bias, whether conscious or subconscious) I reckon it's more likely to help us than harm us next season

I suspect, by the time next seasons done, we’ll have lost more points through VAR, than we’ve gained? :(

I suspect, by the time next seasons done, we’ll have lost more points through VAR, than we’ve gained? :(
VAR will help the teams that spend more times in the opponents area.

Therefore it will go against us. See sides like Man City getting awarded more penalties. Directives next season, twat it at the defenders, get the ball wide and gerrit in, if defender blocks the cross, could end up a pen.

It's ridiculous.

Free kicks, just twat it as hard as possible at the wall...good chance it hits a hand/arm/shoulder/whatever. Instant pen.

At least VAR will show up the diving antics of cheats, like Patrick Bamford and James Maddison, whilst the game is in progress, rather than teams being disadvantaged by penalties and sendings off, which retrospective viewings after the match are unable to correct.

I hate players circling the referee, I simply don't understand why they don't follow Rugby with their zero tolerance approach.
There was a massive hoohah at the start of the season when it was announced that things would change. A few bookings early doors and everything as per after a few weeks.
This is entirely in the hands of the referees. It could be stopped overnight.

VAR will be the final nail in the coffin for football excitement and atmosphere.

They should have stopped at Goal line technology and spent more money in training referees and retrospective punishment for cheating/bad fouls etc.
I agree to a point but it’s not much consolation to see Bamford or others sanctioned after the event if we had lost a game due to diving.

It's definitely going to change our games. Whether it's going to be a good thing remains to seen. I definately felt there was bias towards the big clubs in the refereeing last time we were there.

I agree to a point but it’s not much consolation to see Bamford or others sanctioned after the event if we had lost a game due to diving.

And that may be, but for the good of the game long term they start the serious management of the cheats the game prospers.

Last time we were up in the Premier League we were screwed by referees on a number of occasions.

We can be just a touch more hopeful next season.

Fatboy Sharp A.K.A Billy Blunt will be dreading it because his bully tactics will all be penalised.

The pigs said so

It would have been interesting if VAR had been used at yesterday's two Championship play-off semis. Huddlestone forearm smashing a Leeds player in the face and the ref. gave a yellow. A Leeds player 'butting' a Derby player in the stomach? Yellow. And numerous other incidents.

Most bad decisions are down to refs' incompetence and VAR won't change that.

VAR is fucking shit.

If the linos weren't so blind we wouldn't need it.

The standard of officiating is getting worse. VAR has come in because match officials haven’t got their shit together over the years.

The Leeds v Villa game was an utter shambles because officials these days can’t control a match.

Also a few referees have been dismissed from officiating. Deadman got the sack two years ago along with another referee for misconduct.

Goal line technology is "black and white" it crossed the line or didn't, there is no opinion or interpretation, and it is an instant decision.

I'm pretty sure even this is not true.

The most obvious analogy is Hawkeye in tennis.

Replays show how the software and hardware model reality, and whether the ball hit the line or not according to measurements and coding.

The most blindingly obvious fault is that, as far as I can tell, the ball has always undergone precisely the same extent, shape, and direction of deformation. I don't see how this can possibly be true.

Maybe all this has been sorted out, but I've not seen any evidence that it has.

The ball crossed the line

and

Our human-coded, technologicaly-limited, closed-to-scrutiny, model indicates that the ball crossed the line

are two different statements.

The first is almost always used as a shorthand for the second: it shouldn't be.

GLT may well give a net correction of a tiny percentage of a particular type of incorrect decision. Who knows. (It seemed to work well for Egan's goal v Norwich(?) early in the season.)

It may be an improvement (though I'm not convinced) but it should not be confused with The Truth.

As for VAR. Where to begin...

Basham’s bookings are that obvious VAR will make no difference.
generally yeah but there were a few shirt pulls in the penalty area that were highlighted in a couple of games last season wich went unnoticed by the officials. Will be interesting which way they go with it, I suspect they'll make a few examples early doors hoping it will help stop it.

The problem is referees and officials have complete impunity.

If you're getting a handsome wage and know that you can be utterly shite at your job and you'll never be punished, you would phone it in wouldn't you? You wouldn't be striving to be the best you could possibly be, you'd be staying alright enough that you don't take too much heat.

Meanwhile, managers who point out these glaring, match changing, championship defining errors get £20,000 fines.

It's fucking daft.

I'm hoping next season Sean Dyche, Chris Wilder and a few other no nonsense types get together and safety in numbers style have a reyt go at the FA for their shit referees.

Honestly if I was Cardiff manager this season, I'd have not come out for the Liverpool and Man City games, or walked off part way through to disrupt the top end of the league. The decisions they've had arguably sent them down.

Last time we were up in the Premier League we were screwed by referees on a number of occasions.

We can be just a touch more hopeful next season.
I'd say that is wildly optimistic. Man U's hand ball at PSG tells me that VAR is not likely to bring justice in the way you hope

Back
Top Bottom