VAR - Any decision made on the field, can only be overturned on the field.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No wonder the refs are relying on VAR if there gerrin pissed during the match. Can't believe they're serving shorts at side of pitch 😮

No wonder the refs struggle to keep up with the game if they're eating shorts all the time. Can't be good for you.

I don't get the integrity thing. The VAR call is coming from the same guy that was on the field last week. It's not like there's special refs who only do VAR.

If we want more integrity then we should actually make it so refereeing decisions are properly explained after the game. All we get for now is pundits that don't even understand the rules half the time and silence from the officials.

Sorry, maybe the right phrase is to maintain the air of integrity in the decision.

The VAR call is coming from the guy that was on the field the last week, are you saying all refs interpret everything the same way?

David Coote not giving a VAR handball decision for Spurs against west ham.

Why they awarded them, what their interpretation of the event was, what factors they took into account, their understanding of the laws of the game. Because that might lead to a better understanding of the game on the part of fans, as well as leading to more understanding of the ref's position.

Some of the decisions we've seen from VAR this season are baffling, but that's no different to refereeing decisions in the past. What might help us all would be to understand the whys and wherefores.

I don't see how this solves any of the problems at all.

Sorry, maybe the right phrase is to maintain the air of integrity in the decision.

The VAR call is coming from the guy that was on the field the last week, are you saying all refs interpret everything the same way?

No, it's not that all refs are the same, it's that it's the same pool of referees on the pitch and in the VAR room. You get Tierney on the pitch one week and next week he's reffing it from the VAR room, so there's no difference overall in the standard of refereeing you get. You get them all over the season one way or the other. The standard of refereeing in general is another discussion.

If you don't see how transparency and integrity are linked then I'm not sure I can help you.

Oh, you're a conspiracy theorist who believes that the goal at Villa was disallowed to get Manchester United the top 4/5.....
Thanks for clearing that up.

I think that using VAR for offsides in the way it is being used is our FA's own decision.
UEFA goes with the 'clear and obvious error" use for ruling on offsides which is what it was designed for.

The current EPL version of VAR was implemented by the PGMOL the referees body that is headed up by Riley. Riley from the outset was clear in how he wanted his referees to interpret the system as the attached article confirms. The EPL clubs signed off his version and meet periodically to review it. The EPL can insist on changes during the season hence Riley caving in to pressure to let refs review red cards on the pitch side monitor, a task that occurs all the time with UEFA's version.

Classic comments from last August;

In a bid to maintain the flow of matches, the PGMOL wants VARs to make calls on decisions they feel need to be overturned or reviewed.

However, the final say on decisions remain with the on-field referee: if he or she does not want to overturn a call, they will not have to.

That never happened did it :D.

Oh, you're a conspiracy theorist who believes that the goal at Villa was disallowed to get Manchester United the top 4/5.....
Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know what your problem is. I didn't say anything conspiratorial, I didn't suggest that there's any bias against the Blades as a team, I was specifically replying to a post talking about integrity in the game and I suggested that an actual open dialogue with referees about the decision they made would be far more effective than having a ref on the pitch look at a monitor.

My point being that my suggestion involves an actual transparency over decisions and the other suggestion looks like it does without doing anything to actually facilitate that.

For some reason you've decided that's a good reason to troll me. Fuck knows why but I'm not interested in that.

The handball in the West Ham game was much more obvious than last night"s handball and there was no infringement by any West Ham player, so there was more justification to disallow the goal at West Ham. The application of VAR is nonsensical when these two incidents are compared.

I don't know what your problem is. I didn't say anything conspiratorial, I didn't suggest that there's any bias against the Blades as a team, I was specifically replying to a post talking about integrity in the game and I suggested that an actual open dialogue with referees about the decision they made would be far more effective than having a ref on the pitch look at a monitor.

My point being that my suggestion involves an actual transparency over decisions and the other suggestion looks like it does without doing anything to actually facilitate that.

For some reason you've decided that's a good reason to troll me. Fuck knows why but I'm not interested in that.

I'm not trolling you in the slightest.

All the explanations will simply be what they are now, 'it was missed'/'I didn't see it at the time'.

I'm not trolling you in the slightest.

All the explanations will simply be what they are now, 'it was missed'/'I didn't see it at the time'.

You definitely were trolling me by calling me a conspiracy theorist, but it's fine if you want to back down on that.

Anyway, what I'm suggesting already exists, it just doesn't come from current referees. Dermot Gallagher does summaries and commentaries on the decisions in Prem matches for Sky Sports. We could have something like that from referees instead of "it was missed". That would be improve transparency in the game and give us a better insight into how referees operate.

You definitely were trolling me by calling me a conspiracy theorist, but it's fine if you want to back down on that.

Anyway, what I'm suggesting already exists, it just doesn't come from current referees. Dermot Gallagher does summaries and commentaries on the decisions in Prem matches for Sky Sports. We could have something like that from referees instead of "it was missed". That would be improve transparency in the game and give us a better insight into how referees operate.

But the 'it was missed' line is exactly what he comes up with when he cannot explain why the referee did not give a certain decision.

"I don't know how 'x' has not seen that one" is more accurate of what he usually says.

The handball in the West Ham game was much more obvious than last night"s handball and there was no infringement by any West Ham player, so there was more justification to disallow the goal at West Ham. The application of VAR is nonsensical when these two incidents are compared.
I agree totally that the rule is rubbish, but the application of it should be there regardless. The example was to show how different referees view things differently.

Back
Top Bottom