VAR - admits three mistakes from last night

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The worst thing about VAR is the clowns operating it.

Every single person (other than OGS and the the VAR operators) agree that man Uniteds penalty last night was never a pen.

They'd get more decisions right if they just let random members of the public make the decision.

This is of course a good reminder to all of those people who after the Villa game were asking "Why is it always United?", "Why are we so unlucky?", and other such nonsense. It isn't - high profile mistakes are made all the time, and in fact they very rarely involve us.

If Villa were to stay up by one point, hardly anyone outside of this forum will be making a big deal about the 'goal' we scored against them, because so many other major things have happened since.

I don't disagree with your overall point, but I'm really wary of lumping our non-goal in with calls like this. If you asked 100 people if the Man Utd one last night was a penalty, I'm confident you'll find at least 1 person who says yes (possibly the resident Man Utd fan, but still). It was a subjective call. There was nothing subjective about the fact the ball crossed the line against Villa and not only did everyone miss it, they knew there was a mistake immediately, and didn't take any steps to correct it. And then doubled down with a half-assed apology, and moved on with the show.

Exactly this. It's like getting the black box out of a plane when it's come down. There was some conversation that will explain what happened. Release the thing and let's hear why the hell two "qualified" referee's can get things wrong.
If it's the same conversation time after time:
VAR: "Might be an issue, do you want to review it?"
Ref: "No, I'm good with my original decision"
Then we know it will never work OR at least we'll know the level of incompetence is so ingrained it needs a mass overhaul.

and it all starts with managers.
He either agrees with the decision or calls his player out as a fucking cheat. He's never going to do the latter.
As for the "pundits", ex-players who accepted it when they played and are tolerant of it now.

That’s a tad more dramatic than what I was going for.
I’m simply saying that a comment more along the lines of “it’s a soft one” or even “I haven’t seen it yet”
Is better than “it’s definitely a penalty!” When he knows full well it wasn’t.

Does anybody think by admitting to these and possibly any more VAR " mistakes " in the next few games this is to undermine any possible legal action from either west ham or us etc if it goes to the end of the season and wet spam go down by one point or we miss out on europe by one ?

No, admitting fault is the last thing you do if you're worried about legal action.

This is more about giving the impression of acknowledging a problem while abdicating any responsibility for fixing said problem. That's how the Villa game has been dealt with. Not Hawkeye's fault, not the ref's fault, not the VAR team's fault. Yes they all got it wrong, but that's because they all thought it was up to someone else, so no one's actually responsible.

And this is how VAR is functioning across the board, especially with the silliness of "clear and obvious". Not the ref's fault, he gets one view at full speed, not the VAR's fault because they weren't sure it was "clear and obvious". Decisions are no better, the game is worse for the stoppages, but at least they've managed to obfuscate who's to blame.

The real issue in football is the standard of referees. Nobody is doing anything to improve that.

Many thought VAR would be perfect and stop all controversy.
We were hoping for perfect, what we really didn't need was incompetent.
The offsides are by far the biggest problem I have with it. It should be a quick check to see if there was an obvious error by the linesman.
Totally agree, for example Sharp's goal against Wolves, 2 foot offside not a huge amount but obvious from first viewing.

Even worse was Ole’s post match interview when he was adamant it was a pen!
I was hoping the interviewer was going to push that further but of course he didn’t!
Yet if it had happened down the other end, he'd have been kicking off no end about it. That's the thing with our Chris is that he can see the other side. Instead of moaning and groaning Mourinho-like about the goal against Villa, if he'd have been in Dean Smith's shoes, he'd know that he'd got away with one and would have probably said so.

If Villa were to stay up by one point, hardly anyone outside of this forum will be making a big deal about the 'goal' we scored against them, because so many other major things have happened since.

I‘m pretty sure that if that happened, the team finishing third from bottom would make a huge deal about it and I would like that team to be West Ham United.

Sadly such a scenario looks highly unlikely ☹️

Does anybody think by admitting to these and possibly any more VAR " mistakes " in the next few games this is to undermine any possible legal action from either west ham or us etc if it goes to the end of the season and wet spam go down by one point or we miss out on europe by one ?

There will obviously not be any legal actions taken because of this. On-field mistakes happen and is part of the game.

Colinas intervention will make absolutely no difference.

At the end of the day a PERSON is making a judgement or an interpretation of the law - No matter what Colina or IFAB do will alter that. We used to forgive onfield referees who had to make a one-look, real time quick decision. VAR have to get everyone of these decisions correct.

Once again - we need to know WHY the VAR referees at Stockley Park upheld the onfield referees decision for Ward-Prowse and Fernandes penalties. Both players jumped into the defenders - it was clear and obvious to all but Stockley Park referees.

UTB

OGS's post-match justification of the "penalty" was laughable. I presume he was trying to save his player from abuse for being a diver. If the attacker falls over, it does not necessarily mean that he has been fouled. The defender was simply standing his ground when the attacker jumped into him. What is the defender supposed to do? The Southampton one was even worse as Ward-Prowse was airborne and on his way down before he was within two feet of the defender. For me, the big problem is that nothing is ever done to retrospectively punish such shitcuntery, or the other favourite, hanging out a leg into the defender. Defenders can get sent off for a professional foul (i.e. cheating) but the worst attackers ever get is a yellow. Even then this is not always given, like Rashfords' swallow dive last night, or Bash for us even.
If the premier league can admit that 3 decisions were wrong, why can't they hold the VAR officials to account. Why didn't they see what everyone else saw?
VAR seem reluctant to overule the on field ref unless it affects one of the megastore clubs. To me VAR just seems like it is ruining the flow of the game and favouring the big clubs as much as the old system.

Var is highlighting just how bad the offials really are and their reluctance to upset the big clubs.
Things won't change till the refs grow a pair.

hopefully the refs will start using the the screen for the major incidents instead of for everything

Next season will be an even bigger farce when the FIFA interpretation of defensive handball comes into play in England. Any ball fired into the box hitting the defenders arm intentional or not will be a penalty

It seems to me certain people are desperate for Man U to get CL football. Possibly for a number of reasons, like Pogba staying, his ultra amazing partnership with Fernandes, and not least the money and marketing potential those two will bring.

They should put the replays up on the big screen for all the fans to see (when fans are allowed back). Then see if the referees would dare make a dubious call with thousands of fans viewing the same thing.
There are only 2 premier league clubs that don’t have big screen to do this! They just happen to be the 2 teams that benefit most from dodgy decisions. 🤔🤔🤔

There will always be controversy.

Take the Man Utd penalty. Solksjaer still says it’s a penalty...he says Fernandez did a drag back and pirroet.
Roy Keane in the studio said it wasn’t a penalty but says from the refs angle probably looked like a penalty
He also says he can understand why VAR never over ruled it.....because it’s not a clear and obvious mistake.

Even the Harry Kane incident....there was clearly a push but Kane goes down very easily and makes a meal of it.

My point is that experts will often have different opinions....so there will always be controversy.
It is weird how the PL are saying these decisions were mistakes.....but that is only their opinion....VAR isn’t supposed to get involved too much regards opinions.

The only technology that doesn’t have controversy and was supposed to be perfect was “goal line technology”
but after our non-goal against Villa even that isn‘t infallible.

Very good points and should get an extra like for the attempt at pirouette.

They should put the replays up on the big screen for all the fans to see (when fans are allowed back). Then see if the referees would dare make a dubious call with thousands of fans viewing the same thing.
They should put it up now, 'practise makes perfect' and god knows they need the practice.
My mind boggles at how they manage to spoil a simple, brilliant sport with their nonsense. They certainly don't deserve to earn a (Good) living out of it.

Take the Man Utd penalty. Solksjaer still says it’s a penalty...he says Fernandez did a drag back and pirroet.
Roy Keane in the studio said it wasn’t a penalty but says from the refs angle probably looked like a penalty
He also says he can understand why VAR never over ruled it.....because it’s not a clear and obvious mistake.

Even the Harry Kane incident....there was clearly a push but Kane goes down very easily and makes a meal of it.

My point is that experts will often have different opinions....so there will always be controversy.
It is weird how the PL are saying these decisions were mistakes.....but that is only their opinion....VAR isn’t supposed to get involved too much regards opinions.

The only technology that doesn’t have controversy and was supposed to be perfect was “goal line technology”
Spot on, similar systems work in Cricket and Rugby because there are clear boundaries and far less left to interpretation.

One thing VAR hasn`t stopped is the blatant holding, shirt pulling, and rugby tackles in the penalty area, which most of the time go unpunished.

Given an Extra Like for pirroet as suggested by Pittsburg Blade, 'everyone loves a trier', that's how I/we all learn. :)

Premier League confirms wrong penalty decisions
The overarching theme in last night's games was more VAR frustration, as the Premier League admitted wrong penalty calls were made in all three matches.
Here's a reminder of those incidences:
  • Bruno Fernandes won a spot-kick which he scored in Manchester United's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.
  • James Ward-Prowse hit the bar after a disputed penalty as Southampton drew 1-1 with Everton.
  • And Tottenham should have had a penalty for a Joshua King shove on Harry Kane in a 0-0 draw with Bournemouth.
The Premier League confirmed United and Southampton should not have been given penalties - but Tottenham should have been awarded one.

VAR needs a total rethink for next season!
VAR needs fucking off!
#giveusourgameback

OGS's post-match justification of the "penalty" was laughable. I presume he was trying to save his player from abuse for being a diver. If the attacker falls over, it does not necessarily mean that he has been fouled. The defender was simply standing his ground when the attacker jumped into him. What is the defender supposed to do? The Southampton one was even worse as Ward-Prowse was airborne and on his way down before he was within two feet of the defender. For me, the big problem is that nothing is ever done to retrospectively punish such shitcuntery, or the other favourite, hanging out a leg into the defender. Defenders can get sent off for a professional foul (i.e. cheating) but the worst attackers ever get is a yellow. Even then this is not always given, like Rashfords' swallow dive last night, or Bash for us even.
If the premier league can admit that 3 decisions were wrong, why can't they hold the VAR officials to account. Why didn't they see what everyone else saw?
VAR seem reluctant to overule the on field ref unless it affects one of the megastore clubs. To me VAR just seems like it is ruining the flow of the game and favouring the big clubs as much as the old system.

Why would Solksjaer bite the hand that is feeding him...

Honestly,I’d like to think that bash got an almighty bollockin for that swan dive

Var is highlighting just how bad the offials really are and their reluctance to upset the big clubs.
Things won't change till the refs grow a pair.

They upset Villa,Spurs and Everton......But helped Manchester United, Bournemouth and Southampton.

Helping Manchester United fits your point.
But upsetting Spurs/Villa/Everton does not.

Back
Top Bottom