Van Winckle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I had a few DMs with him myself. Apparently Quiffys Dad doesn’t shop at Tesco. And the GCB ringtone isn’t available on a Nokia 3210

I don't understand. Is that supposed to be funny?

Personally I think the input of Van Winkel can be a positive thing.

It is all well and good having a British squad, but in the transfer market that is just avenue to peruse to find the best players, and I don’t think it would be any great problem introducing a few foreign players without it disrupting the balance of the squad, personally at the minute I would be looking at the German and Scandinavian markets, as we don’t see a great deal of players coming over from there at the minute, and Huddersfield built a side padded out with German players and that got them promoted and kept them up, and if they can do it, why can’t we.

Personally I think the input of Van Winkel can be a positive thing.

It is all well and good having a British squad, but in the transfer market that is just avenue to peruse to find the best players, and I don’t think it would be any great problem introducing a few foreign players without it disrupting the balance of the squad, personally at the minute I would be looking at the German and Scandinavian markets, as we don’t see a great deal of players coming over from there at the minute, and Huddersfield built a side padded out with German players and that got them promoted and kept them up, and if they can do it, why can’t we.

Spot on Brownie, just look at Watford's overseas acquirements, very impressive, signing bargain nobodies, who turn out to be accomplished enough to keep them in the top half of the Prem without breaking the bank.

Spot on Brownie, just look at Watford's overseas acquirements, very impressive, signing bargain nobodies, who turn out to be accomplished enough to keep them in the top half of the Prem without breaking the bank.

Shhh dont upset the established lot on here that like the british muck n nettles approach to football.

We shouldnt look abroad at all as were only Sheffield United & we dont sign foreign players.

Irish and Scottish is about as cosmopolitan as some would like it on here.

Nope. No foreign 'muck' for our beloved Blades. Even though Wilder himself said we may need to look further afield & admitted himself to having limited knowledge. Nope. we must NOT even try to look elsewere instead of the league 1 bargain bin.

Sometimes, a single, consistent vision produces better results. I suspect that football management is one of those areas where a single mind can be more effective than many minds.

design-by-committee-featured.jpg

Never understood this analogy. The implication is that a camel is somehow less good than a horse, but isn't a camel perfectly evolved for its habitat?

It’s down to CW what he wants. It’s his job on the line. If he signs players and they are crap he will get sacked. He won’t want to be told to get players coming in and it going wrong.

Many teams have tried and failed. Charlton were owned by a Belgian with connections to Belgian clubs they got relegated next season.

Yes there are examples of players who are world beaters coming for cheap. But there are hidden gems in England / Scotland.

We have a formula of mainly British players and last season we over achieved considering our budget. So let’s not change too much.

Shhh dont upset the established lot on here that like the british muck n nettles approach to football.

We shouldnt look abroad at all as were only Sheffield United & we dont sign foreign players.

Nope. No foreign 'muck' for our beloved Blades. Even though Wilder himself said we may need to look further afield & admitted himself to having limited knowledge. Nope. we must NOT even try to look elsewere instead of the league 1 bargain bin.

Why all the sarcasm as you say Wilder is aware of the Wider market .We will I'm sure did our toe in there at some point.
Van Winkle has good knowledge of Europe as he is a director I'm sure Wilder would tap into his knowledge when required.
Just cus there's been a fallout over winkle roll does mean we wouldn't use him in some roll or other. The European market is not everything but is a useful tool when signing players.

Never understood this analogy. The implication is that a camel is somehow less good than a horse, but isn't a camel perfectly evolved for its habitat?

No animal is ‘perfectly evolved’ for its habitat. I take your point, but I think the analogy implies that the committee wasn’t thinking about any specific habitat. Design by committee tends towards a ‘jack of all trades’ approach rather than something that will excel in one focussed area.

No animal is ‘perfectly evolved’ for its habitat. I take your point, but I think the analogy implies that the committee wasn’t thinking about any specific habitat. Design by committee tends towards a ‘jack of all trades’ approach rather than something that will excel in one focussed area.

Galapagos Finches?

There will never be another team like the
Lisbon lions ,
Times move on ,
and let’s be right a lot of the European , and further afield players we’ve signed have left a lot to be desired
We will have to broaden our net to get players that will fit into our team and it’s work ethic
Will we splash £15 million on a midfielder like wolves or pay for the striker Fulham have on loan
I’d doubt it
However one thing we can depend on is
Chris’s desire to push our team , and club on to the next level
I trust him to do that , every signing he makes won’t be a hit ( which managers are ? )
But let’s be right when he first took over he’d been sitting in the stand and saw what we all saw , the shite on display
And knew who to bin and who to keep , and no one on here questioned him back then , let’s not forget he also transfer listed Coutts and Freeman and nobody said no ( ok 1 or2 May have ) myself included
If Chris thinks a player will do it for our team than I trust his judgment
If he kneeds to go further afield than Ireland and Scotland then so what
But there are bargains to be had over here
Maguire at Preston who I flagged , and they have a few paddies there now .
Coleman at Everton
Keane at Forrest and manu , and Stevens for us now
Let’s also remember if the fax machine had been working Fleck would have come to us before Coventry

Not wishing ill on the guy, but when he does finally pass away after a long and fruitful life, we'll be able to say 'RIP VAN WINCKEL' .

I'm happy with him to have input as long as the input is restricted to recommending players and maybe coaching/training/fitness methods.

I mean, he's welcome to take over corner training. Fuck know, it would be impossible to do any worse.

It's laughable to think we can be a successful club if we're only going to sign British and Irish players. Laughable. They're so overpriced for what you get and the wage expectations are much higher than many international players.

What we do need, is a British and Irish core in the squad and sensible signing from Europe. We need to establish a scouting network across Europe. If not then we'll end up getting relegated at some stage. At the moment we're reliant on Wilder and Mitchell pulling rabbits out of hats. It's not sustainable. We're unlikely to have a lot of money at any stage. So, we need to box clever and pick up one or two per season from European leagues.

Scouting networks cost money, then so do Academies. The reason you have them is that they save you money in the long run.

I'm thinking he's after a job seeing Chris clearly has the power now HRH is selling up.

Is he Ripping the piss?

Back
Top Bottom