Van Winckle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Didn't realise he was going to be or ever had been? I thought the Prince wanted him as a DOF earlier in the season but that the idea never got past McCabe and Wilder?

Had a couple of DM exchanges with him over the past few weeks. Will keep them private.

He seems a really decent bloke and a massive fan of Chris Wilder. Based on what he was telling me it's clear that he has some involvement in the club but in what capacity it's not clear.

Didn't realise he was going to be or ever had been? I thought the Prince wanted him as a DOF earlier in the season but that the idea never got past McCabe and Wilder?
I read that Van Winckle was recommending that we should look into signing foreign players and Wilder wasn't happy with that

Not true.
This is what McCabe revealed at the Shareholder meeting last March.
The McCabe-Wilder alliance believe that buying British and Irish players remains the best strategy. Prince Abdullah, aided by the advice of recent addition to the SUFC Board, Belgian Jan van Winckel, who has a UEFA-pro coaching licence, wants to take an international approach.

It was more down the lines of value for money in the transfer market. Which, if you look at some of the fees paid for championship players (McCormack, Rhodes, Madine etc) it's a very valid point.

Another aspect to the problems we've all read about, Van Winckle's role as DOF was always destined for a car crash where Wilder was concerned. The apparent lack of communication at Board level makes this a mockery, and I'd have thought that something along the lines of either quarterly or twice yearly meetings between key board members and CW would be the thing to ensure that everyone knows what's on every one else's mind.

The key for everyone, from Board, through to Management, through to all staff on the playing side, would be to work for the same objectives, and for SUFC that means securing promotion and remaining there. The likes of Bournemouth and Burnley are perfect examples of what we could achieve if the will and dedication were in place. We all know the levels of funding that come with promotion, and as welcome as this would be, it also means we'd have to make serious adjustments to who we sign, how much we pay, and how much our wage structure adapts to all of this. The apparent clearing of the air hopefully means that Mr. Van Winckle is sidestepped and we hear no more about a DOF. This was the height of foolishness and insensitivity where Wilder was concerned, so the knowledge that Wilder can continue with his view of how to push this club forward is exactly what will send a message to everyone that we're in safe hands.

One final thing, I hope the budget that's been agreed between everyone is sufficiently hefty and will allow Wilder the chance to consider bidding for players who can make a difference. UTB!

What is JvW's role?

How many of these types have we had in the boardroom over recent years, where no-one seems to know what role they specifically fulfil.

The desire to sign more foreign players pre dates Van Winkle's appointment and is very much driven by the Prince's side.Article from 27 October 2017: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...bdulaziz-al-saud-interview-part-one-1-8826052 See quotes below.
Van Winkle was appointed on 21st December, and is believed to have been denied a seat on the technical board (transfer committee). https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2017/december/jan-van-winckel/

Prince: I think we have a dilemma coming soon. The club has the DNA of Sheffield United; a good spirit and you feel proud when you watch the team play. It represents, for me, Sheffield as a city. But sooner or later there will be a challenge. Can we keep it as an English club. If we go to the Premier League, for sure we need some international players. Probably even if, God forbid, we stay in the Championship for a long time. We need to introduce international scouting for players. It is a must in the Premier League and a good thing in the Championship. English players are expensive. You can choose from a bigger pool.

James Shield: Systems like that can also be very expensive though.
Prince: I have a plan and my people will present it to the board. We want Sheffield United to be a world class club. But we also never want to fans to lose sight of the fact this is Sheffield United, their club. We never want them to feel it isn’t.

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...bdulaziz-al-saud-interview-part-one-1-8826052

Last edited:
The desire to sign more foreign players pre dates Van Winkle's appointment and is very much driven by the Prince's side.Article from 27 October 2017.Van Winkle was appointed on 21st December, and is believed to have been denied a seat on the technical board (transfer committee). https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2017/december/jan-van-winckel/

Prince: I think we have a dilemma coming soon. The club has the DNA of Sheffield United; a good spirit and you feel proud when you watch the team play. It represents, for me, Sheffield as a city. But sooner or later there will be a challenge. Can we keep it as an English club. If we go to the Premier League, for sure we need some international players. Probably even if, God forbid, we stay in the Championship for a long time. We need to introduce international scouting for players. It is a must in the Premier League and a good thing in the Championship. English players are expensive. You can choose from a bigger pool.

Prince: I have a plan and my people will present it to the board. We want Sheffield United to be a world class club. But we also never want to fans to lose sight of the fact this is Sheffield United, their club. We never want them to feel it isn’t.

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...bdulaziz-al-saud-interview-part-one-1-8826052

I admire your tenacity in keeping posting facts but it doesn't fit with some agendas on here.

The desire to sign more foreign players pre dates Van Winkle's appointment and is very much driven by the Prince's side.Article from 27 October 2017: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...bdulaziz-al-saud-interview-part-one-1-8826052 See quotes below.
Van Winkle was appointed on 21st December, and is believed to have been denied a seat on the technical board (transfer committee). https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2017/december/jan-van-winckel/

Agree with yer man Princey Abdullah on this one. We don’t have the financial clout to buy Bristish at a level that would keep us competitive for a sustained period.

Wilder strikes me as a “root and branch” manager. He has his deputies, ALL of which are of his choosing and with his blessing.

My educated guess is that ANY input from Mr V is unwelcome, not wanted and, bluntly not necessary.

Outside looking in, I strongly suspect that this is a major factor in Wilder going rogue in the last few weeks of the season, and publicly demanding answers.

UTB

Wilder strikes me as a “root and branch” manager. He has his deputies, ALL of which are of his choosing and with his blessing.

My educated guess is that ANY input from Mr V is unwelcome, not wanted and, bluntly not necessary.

Outside looking in, I strongly suspect that this is a major factor in Wilder going rogue in the last few weeks of the season, and publicly demanding answers.

UTB
Agree. I thought that was Wilder's main sticking point and I wondered what is the situation over this now

UTB
Why would anyone turn down help, assistance, and experience of a different way of doing things, you dont have to take it, or accept it in any form

But its a little short sighted not to even give a try, a look, or a listen

Why would anyone turn down help, assistance, and experience of a different way of doing things, you dont have to take it, or accept it in any form

Not suggesting anything that you say isn’t worthy of at least consideration.

On the other hand, do you see CW as a bloke that would suffer fools gladly ?

My view is exactly what I have stated. Wilder is totally focussed, to the extent this may impact on “open mindedness”.

In sport, as in life in general. It’s a thin line between open mindedness and too many cooks ........

UTB

I admire your tenacity in keeping posting facts but it doesn't fit with some aCo

The principle you've described makes a great deal of sense. What we don't know is how this 'help' was presented to CW. If Wilder felt the rug being pulled from under his feet then I can understand his opposition to any unwanted 'co-management'. So much that appears on the forum is based on hearsay, so we really have no idea what happened. Wilder strikes me as a sensible, grounded person. I also suspect that he's someone who recognises quality when it's presented, so we're still none the wiser about what's gone on. What we do know is that under Wilder's leadership we've made positive strides, and that to want to alter his vision of what's best for this club seems a tad daft. Maybe increase Wilder's summer budget, allowing him to consider the type of player capable of making a difference to next season's promotion push, then we'll have a better idea about who we need and what type of player might be worth pursuing.

Sometimes, a single, consistent vision produces better results. I suspect that football management is one of those areas where a single mind can be more effective than many minds.

design-by-committee-featured.jpg

As for the International market - we play Stoke City next season who went "international" with Mark Hughes after a general home UK squad with Pulis, and It didn't help Stoke at all. Many there are blaming the none performance of those players for the demise.

Arsene Wenger wrote a few days ago that when he first came to England there were very few UK scouts looking at French players, primarily in their league 2 for bargains (think that's where Mahrez came from) - apparently there are now 20/30 at the games. Even if we had a scouting network, sounds like we'd still end up with the dross.

We need to find a few more gems in last year of contract or out of contract. It will be tough work for Mr Mitchell but that's what he's paid for and for now as it's still the market we operate in.

UTB

Had a couple of DM exchanges with him over the past few weeks. Will keep them private.

He seems a really decent bloke and a massive fan of Chris Wilder. Based on what he was telling me it's clear that he has some involvement in the club but in what capacity it's not clear.

I had a few DMs with him myself. Apparently Quiffys Dad doesn’t shop at Tesco. And the GCB ringtone isn’t available on a Nokia 3210

If this club wants to progress then its needs to look further afield for championship quality players that dont cost upwards of £10 million.

If we constantly look lower down the league's and hope to grab a few bargains. We will never move forward. Wilder cannot keep pulling out rabbits from hats.

Exactly and CW's transfer record has been patchy with some good uns and a fair few who turned out to be rubbish.
Any good boss listens to those around he or she when its clear improvements can be made and hence I welcome JVW providing he gives value for money.
Probably the main reason HRH brought him onboard, any smart part owner wants to see their money spent wisely.

Back
Top Bottom