United: United We Stand.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foody

Reaction score
Hi All

I hope this finds you all in good health

I don’t know if I’ve been listening to too much Radio 4 lately, or I am just spending Sunday procrastinating to avoid chores and the working week ahead. Either way I wanted to share my thoughts of the day and put a plea out there, the opposite of a call to arms, whatever that is.

With December fast approaching, I think it safe to say that 2020 hasn’t planned out how any of us imagined, in both footballing and general terms. The effects of Covid have been felt by every single one of us. I am sure some fellow blades will have lost loved ones, while others will have lost jobs, financial security and myriad of other things. The impact cannot be underestimated, and I am sure none of us are in the best mental health of our lives. None of this is new news to you, but I am trying to offer some context.

For us Bades, it’s fair to say that football isn’t proving the escape and positivity that we’d like it to. It is only adding to an already tough time. We know our performances aren’t good enough and we all know how desperate the league table already looks. This combined with the lack of fans, VAR and other factors is causing me to fall out of love with football. There is however, a glimmer of light. I truly believe we will all be back where we belong next season, together, at Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane! Ultimately the division we are in isn’t what matters, it’s being able to enjoy the experiences that we all love. At times this season it might have felt like we’ve been playing with 10 men, but next year we’ll have 12.

Despite this glimmer of positivity, there is one thing that has been bothering me more and more of late. That is the way in which football fans are interacting online. Whether it’s on Facebook, twitter or most disappointingly on here, I am seeing a lot of negativity, aggression and argumentative behaviour. We can’t influence everyone else, but we can treat our fellow fans differently. Here on S2 we might not agree on politics, or anything else for that matter, but we do share common ground; our love for Sheffield United Football Club. Lately though S2 has become a little toxic with constant bickering, there are some exceptions to this of course (PastaMan's thread is a little gem). I am sure this is in part down to us all not being able to vent our frustrations on match day and feeling frustrated and somewhat powerless. Now more than ever though we need S2 to be a positive corner of the internet. We can disagree, but we need to be respectful and not resort to insults or being ‘Bladier than thou’. We also need to encourage and be positive, not just look for arguments with those we disagree with. Ultimately, we’ll never change other posters opinions, however well crafted our arguments; it’s often like watching two Tennis player’s playing perfect shots, from either end of different tennis courts. Consensus will never be met and neither side is really listening.

For these reasons I am going to try and use S2 as a place to be positive, to encourage other contributors and generally try to go against the toxic nature of the internet. I am not going to come on to argue. I am encouraging you all to do the same, don’t spread hate. Support our team and support our fellow blades. Stop the arguments, and remember the world is a bit shit at the minute, try not to make it shitter. Negativity and hate isn’t good for your health, if you don’t believe me remember: Katie Hopkins is only 45 years old!

For those of you still reading, thanks for sticking with my rambling thoughts.

Remember: We are United. United We Stand!

Back
Top Bottom