United - Party Of Five.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Easy.... perhaps!

Five guests...

Two players, one current, one former (from your lifetime watching The Blades)...
One manager.
Two S24SU contributors....

can ask each one, a single question, only football related!
Post-Norwich glow fading, little excitement about the next match, it's gone a bit quiet on here, so I thought I'd take up your challenge, looking at it as an opportunity to show that being a football supporter ('fan' still sounds a bit new-fangled to me) involves much more than just the 90+ minutes of each game.

Guest 1. Has to be my hero Hodgy. I loved the fact that at away games he often invited a kid from behind the goal to join him in the pre-match shoot-in (no fancy warm up routines before 2.55 on a Saturday afternoon then), but I wonder why he never asked the goofy kid with glasses, who told anyone who would listen what a great goalkeeper he was, into the goal with him. No goal would have been scored with me there for my moment of fame.

Guest 2. I love seeing youngsters come through into the 1st team (Bladey Blade, I know), so I would like to ask Brooksy at what point on that Sunday in September did he feel that he belonged out there on the pitch, and knew that he was going to do things that will be remembered for years to come. He seems a confident lad, but was he really so certain of himself?

Guest 3. Harry Haslam. At the dinner for the River Plate team and entourage at the Cutlers Hall in 1978, when he stood up to give his speech, did he ever think about the poor young volunteer interpreter when he began to tell a series of Irish jokes? And did he ever guess that because the jokes were pretty well impossible to translate (certainly without advance notice) the Argentinians were laughing at him rather than with him, because what they heard was the SUFC manager being mocked by the interpreter? The interpreter's evening ended well, as he was left at the end of the dinner in an unstaffed bar with 2 United players for a considerable length of time; neither played well 3 days later v. Crystal Palace, but that might have been coincidence.

Guest 4 @Ball Sup Anyone who devotes himself to young Blades football and good beers has got to be an interesting dinner guest. And I would expect him to bring enough beer to last us the evening.

Guest 5 @SeanThornton I would show him the contents of a drawer which contains our financial documents and details of our house, and invite him to come to a judgement on whether the purchase of the freehold is an advisable option. I know that he enjoys the topic of freehold ownership, and devotes much of his free time to the issue.

I trust I have followed the criteria; and perhaps shown some ways in which our beloved Blades can enrich our lives.

Post-Norwich glow fading, little excitement about the next match, it's gone a bit quiet on here, so I thought I'd take up your challenge, looking at it as an opportunity to show that being a football supporter ('fan' still sounds a bit new-fangled to me) involves much more than just the 90+ minutes of each game.

Guest 1. Has to be my hero Hodgy. I loved the fact that at away games he often invited a kid from behind the goal to join him in the pre-match shoot-in (no fancy warm up routines before 2.55 on a Saturday afternoon then), but I wonder why he never asked the goofy kid with glasses, who told anyone who would listen what a great goalkeeper he was, into the goal with him. No goal would have been scored with me there for my moment of fame.

Guest 2. I love seeing youngsters come through into the 1st team (Bladey Blade, I know), so I would like to ask Brooksy at what point on that Sunday in September did he feel that he belonged out there on the pitch, and knew that he was going to do things that will be remembered for years to come. He seems a confident lad, but was he really so certain of himself?

Guest 3. Harry Haslam. At the dinner for the River Plate team and entourage at the Cutlers Hall in 1978, when he stood up to give his speech, did he ever think about the poor young volunteer interpreter when he began to tell a series of Irish jokes? And did he ever guess that because the jokes were pretty well impossible to translate (certainly without advance notice) the Argentinians were laughing at him rather than with him, because what they heard was the SUFC manager being mocked by the interpreter? The interpreter's evening ended well, as he was left at the end of the dinner in an unstaffed bar with 2 United players for a considerable length of time; neither played well 3 days later v. Crystal Palace, but that might have been coincidence.

Guest 4 @Ball Sup Anyone who devotes himself to young Blades football and good beers has got to be an interesting dinner guest. And I would expect him to bring enough beer to last us the evening.

Guest 5 @SeanThornton I would show him the contents of a drawer which contains our financial documents and details of our house, and invite him to come to a judgement on whether the purchase of the freehold is an advisable option. I know that he enjoys the topic of freehold ownership, and devotes much of his free time to the issue.

I trust I have followed the criteria; and perhaps shown some ways in which our beloved Blades can enrich our lives.

A couple of your guests may not RSVP...

Will the red be decanted or you a screw top type person?

A couple of your guests may not RSVP...
I did that post on my old laptop, and I couldn't get the @ thingy to work properly. One way of ensuring that not too many guests turn up to eat me out of house and home. It's the Yorkshire way...

You'll have to make do with Ball_Sup (Phil) 's beer; I'm not made of money, you know...

That's okay. I shy away from bringing wine to a party due to the embarrassment at The Crab s last birthday party when neither the Sancerre nor Barolo went well with the Princes tinned hot dogs and white sliced bread and Stork he served....

The "all day breakfast in a tin" the following morning went down well with the QC sherry though.

That's okay. I shy away from bringing wine to a party due to the embarrassment at The Crab s last birthday party when neither the Sancerre nor Barolo went well with the Princes tinned hot dogs and white sliced bread and Stork he served....

The "all day breakfast in a tin" the following morning went down well with the QC sherry though.

Look, there was a sale on at The Food Warehouse and I had to do what I can. One has to economise these days, the Bentley won't run itself you know (it must have the other night because I was monumentally pissed and have no idea how I got to the massage parlour.....................erm I mean..............home)

As for the All Day Breakfast in a tin, being a regular guest at The Happy Crab I thought you'd welcome something with over 10% meat content for a change. I don't remember having any QC in the house, but you might have just revealed what happened to the bottle of Sarsons Vinegar that had gone missing. I thought your taste buds might have noticed...............................

Look, there was a sale on at The Food Warehouse and I had to do what I can. One has to economise these days, the Bentley won't run itself you know (it must have the other night because I was monumentally pissed and have no idea how I got to the massage parlour.....................erm I mean..............home)

As for the All Day Breakfast in a tin, being a regular guest at The Happy Crab I thought you'd welcome something with over 10% meat content for a change. I don't remember having any QC in the house, but you might have just revealed what happened to the bottle of Sarsons Vinegar that had gone missing. I thought your taste buds might have noticed...............................

The Sarsons was used to scour the green mould off the Fletchers loaf you got out of the freezer.

The Sarsons was used to scour the green mould off the Fletchers loaf you got out of the freezer.

Thats how Penecillin was created. You'll be like Captain Scarlet when I've finished with you, indestructible.

It's just come to me. CrAbsinthe.......

It's just come to me. CrAbsinthe.......

Rolls off the tongue doesn't it?*

*well actually, in tests it severely burnt and lacerated the tongues of our test subjects. Omlettes and eggs is all I can say.

Back
Top Bottom