United 2 Charlton 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I like Coutts and he has had a great season but he was not as good yesterday. Glad you noted his poor attempts to win the ball I counted 3 or 4 times when it was a 50-50 challange and he simply did not go in. He was badly at fault for the first game. Do not think Fleck was as good yesterday either but did more off the ball work than Coutts.

I do not think it was one of Hanson's better games. Indeed last two I have seen at Rochdale and today he has been poor but his work and presence does make a difference ad softens them up for when Lavery comes on also.

I thought EEL was ok but he gets drawn to the ball. Sometimes it works and he makes a good tackle but quite a few times the ball is of course played across and he has little awareness of where men are. He left an unmarked man twice second half and they should have scored on both bit fired over.

It's easy for Coutts to look impressive when the opposition sit back and he has space to spray the ball around, which he is extremely good at.

However, when the pressure is high, when there is less time on the ball and the game is more physical Coutts is way less effective. He's just not that kind of bloke.

People say that's because of his previous bad injury, but in the heat of battle you just don't think about that - look at how Tel Kennedy and James Wallace still piled in after bad injuries.

Overall, he will be great in some games and not in others. I reckon he'll probably get pulled quite a few times next year, and might even be second pick to Samir. Also, from Tufty's interview I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes was playing for us either! He was certainly good yesterday.

UTB

Wow. I hope coutts doesn't read this forum, been one of our best players this season. And a big part of how the way we play and the position were in. He has one abject game, and is slated. What about fleck? He was no better. You can't be great every single game. Has not anybody played football before. Top players have off games. That's the way it is. Coutts is not a great defender. Not all midfielders can defend.

Yeah, thought both Fleck & Coutts were off yesterday. But just because Charlton pressed the life out of them. Coutts just wasn't allowed to pick the ball up off the back three & set the tempo like he usually does.

That said, both dug in. Coutts's own pressing was excellent, right up to the time he went off. Like you say, no natural defender, but he puts in the effort regardless (these days) & is fit enough to do so.

That's what you get with this lot now - even when things aren't going their way, they battle & scrap & fight.

It's easy for Coutts to look impressive when the opposition sit back and he has space to spray the ball around, which he is extremely good at.

However, when the pressure is high, when there is less time on the ball and the game is more physical Coutts is way less effective. He's just not that kind of bloke.

People say that's because of his previous bad injury, but in the heat of battle you just don't think about that - look at how Tel Kennedy and James Wallace still piled in after bad injuries.

Overall, he will be great in some games and not in others. I reckon he'll probably get pulled quite a few times next year, and might even be second pick to Samir. Also, from Tufty's interview I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes was playing for us either! He was certainly good yesterday.

UTB

I thought Holmes started off well and had visions of a Ricky style meltdown about how we should have signed him but after 20 mins I was less worried.

Coutts doesn't get his foot in and doesn't track back. You could probably watch 20 goals we have conceded this year where he is 10 yards behind play and generally most bookings are for pulling back.

You are unbelievably smitten with this guy. Mucked about at the back and cost us the first goal. Had chances to challenge for headers but did not challenge till the second half. One can only think he got a rocket from CW at half time so he picked up a bit. Still the worst player on the pitch for us today and as someone else mentioned if it was not for reasonable progress in other games and we were a struggling team he would/should have been off after 20 mins.
As a vice Captain his example to others is shocking during a game. Yes he can control a ball and play a good pass but he had little influence yesterday apart for the opposition. I always said Basham Should have been given the Captaincy if Sharp goes off because he is so influential and yesterday his skill and technique in ALL departments blinded what Coutts offered.

No offence Boo, but when I want advice on midfielders I'm afraid I'll be looking elsewhere...

IMG_2817.JPG

No offence Boo, but when I want advice on midfielders I'm afraid I'll be looking elsewhere...

View attachment 24585
Never offered advice. Just backing up most reasoned non obsessed posters opinion on how he played yesterday. How on earth you tonk he played better than Fleck just proved how misguided you are on this player. FLECK was not at his best either but was way better than Coutts.

Think some people are losing sight of just how much all of the players have put in over a long season...some of our squad are 'super-fit', while others have been carrying/recovering from various injuries.

Fortunately for the most part, when he one or two players have struggled a bit( relatively) others have stepped up.

That's testament to Wilder and the team and the squad they've put together.

Enjoy Blades!

Never offered advice. Just backing up most reasoned non obsessed posters opinion on how he played yesterday. How on earth you tonk he played better than Fleck just proved how misguided you are on this player. FLECK was not at his best either but was way better than Coutts.
So its a battle between Fleck and Coutts every game to see whos better ? Come on were better than that ,they play as a partnership and for all Holmes's running about and ponsing about with his manbun while cracking balls into the upper tier we were hardly overrun were we. Both Fleck and Coutts compliment each other and either Duffy or Carruthers benefit from this ,as do the defenders as an easy ball to either of them is always on as they both very adept at finding space. its a shame we are a mid table side struggling to get in the play offs ,we should be top really.

So its a battle between Fleck and Coutts every game to see whos better ? Come on were better than that ,they play as a partnership and for all Holmes's running about and ponsing about with his manbun while cracking balls into the upper tier we were hardly overrun were we. Both Fleck and Coutts compliment each other and either Duffy or Carruthers benefit from this ,as do the defenders as an easy ball to either of them is always on as they both very adept at finding space. its a shame we are a mid table side struggling to get in the play offs ,we should be top really.

I think the evidence suggests that Fleck can carry Coutts but when he's not on top of his game Coutts struggles. I think there was something else going off yesterday judging by wilder and coutts constantly having words and was surprised it took as long as it did for him to be substituted

I was not the one who suggested it was a competition between the two. It was the man who keeps posting Coutts the cone. This time he has him in his gob. Says the lot really.
I'm quite happy for Coutts to become our best player ever. He won't be though because once he improves on one thing he forgets another he was good at. At Rochdale for instance I was impressed when he sprinted back Three times to close or make a tackle but unfortunately that was it. He forgot the other things that he'd done well in other games.
Yesterday, I thought was more like the type of game and opposition we will have in the Championship and if that is the case he will struggle.In the Rochdale game and yesterday Basham totally outshone him in commitment, example, passing, tackling, close control and how where when. So you are right the competition does not have to be between two mids. As stated elsewhere the fact that we play two mids like we do can leave them exposed at times which make it all the more important that they do not ball watch and take the opportunity to get position early when the ball is dead. He dug Freeman out yesterday then dug his own hole by fannying about instead of, yes hoofing it long to give us time to regroup and set. If he is going to play that type of controlling role in front of the defence in the Championship he better get a whole lot better at it. If he does who knows he may make the Scotland squad. Meanwhile in CW we trust.

Don't agree with these slating Hanson, he won plenty of headers <pity Sharp has got zero anticipation> and takes a hell of a lot of pressure off the rest of the team. As esoon as he went off, the ball went forward, the ball came straight back unchallenged. With Hanson in the team it ensures the opposing centre halves aren't on easy street clearing their lines.
Not wishing to pick a fight here. But that is utter bollocks my friend.

UTB

I was not the one who suggested it was a competition between the two. It was the man who keeps posting Coutts the cone. This time he has him in his gob. Says the lot really.
I'm quite happy for Coutts to become our best player ever. He won't be though because once he improves on one thing he forgets another he was good at. At Rochdale for instance I was impressed when he sprinted back Three times to close or make a tackle but unfortunately that was it. He forgot the other things that he'd done well in other games.
Yesterday, I thought was more like the type of game and opposition we will have in the Championship and if that is the case he will struggle.In the Rochdale game and yesterday Basham totally outshone him in commitment, example, passing, tackling, close control and how where when. So you are right the competition does not have to be between two mids. As stated elsewhere the fact that we play two mids like we do can leave them exposed at times which make it all the more important that they do not ball watch and take the opportunity to get position early when the ball is dead. He dug Freeman out yesterday then dug his own hole by fannying about instead of, yes hoofing it long to give us time to regroup and set. If he is going to play that type of controlling role in front of the defence in the Championship he better get a whole lot better at it. If he does who knows he may make the Scotland squad. Meanwhile in CW we trust.
Massive credit to Wilder in seeing early on that our midfield was getting outplayed, moving to a flat back 4 and pushing Basham in to the defensive CM role where has was superb.

UTB

I thought we were very much overrun until Basham moved up to sort it out. The holy trinity will need similar bolstering if we get promoted, as we won't dominate the ball as much. The diamond being the likely option.

As for Holmes, he looks a Championship player on that performance. Has the physicality to match the ability.

To be fair Charlton looked a decent side,and probably looked the best footballing outfit since Posh came,who if I remember rightly also employed a Diamond shape in midfield and gave us a few problems...I suppose they had nothing much to lose being a mid table side coming to the League leaders..Holmes did look a good player for me apart from a couple of wayward shots,along with the 7 and 15.
Not seen it mentioned but loved that Maguire-esque run by JOC late on...thought he had a good game.
Thought Coutts and Fleck were decent once we matched their shape,but Coutts did look like he started to tire before being subbed...They didn't get it all their own way though today against a quality midfield,and agree moving Bash into midfield evened things up.

Good report as always. Think you have under rated Duffy. Thought he was excellent - back to his best and should be a 7.5. I had him rivalling Bash for motm until he went off but after that Bash got better and better and was certainly motm.
Also would have given Coutts 7.
Thought the ref started really poorly. Definitely missed the push on Fleck and Billy was pulled back second half just enough to stop him getting to the ball. Also thought Lavern was deliberately blocked late in just over the half way line. Didn't even give a free kick and to me it was a booking. Agree linesman on Southstand was appalling. It was not a difficult game to ref as both teams were playing good football and as the game progressed ref got better apart from incidents mentioned.

Think that's bang on.

You Hoofers really don't like proper footballers, do you?

Bringbackuselessfuckinragamuffinshadowchasers.

Jnr played the Saturday before last (under 16's). The opposition set up 4-5-1, keeper played exactly zero balls out from the back, the team never played more than four consecutive passes. Dire, dour, effective.. for 65 minutes anyway. Almost criminal to coach a team to play like this. It's an admission that either the players or the management lack footballing intelligence/ability and are unlikely to develop it if this is how they play the game.

This is our best footballing team for decades. Some of them don't like it. They prefer limited upanatem triers who getstuckin and gerritforrad with nowt fancy.

I imagine they prefer monochrome television and don't eat foreign food.

It's genuinely sad.

This is our best footballing team for decades. Some of them don't like it. They prefer limited upanatem triers who getstuckin and gerritforrad with nowt fancy.

I imagine they prefer monochrome television and don't eat foreign food.

It's genuinely sad.
Anyone particular in mind, someone you could put a name to?

Jnr played the Saturday before last (under 16's). The opposition set up 4-5-1, keeper played exactly zero balls out from the back, the team never played more than four consecutive passes. Dire, dour, effective.. for 65 minutes anyway. Almost criminal to coach a team to play like this. It's an admission that either the players or the management lack footballing intelligence/ability and are unlikely to develop it if this is how they play the game.

Tempting to have a word... The kids won't develop the skills needed, and it suggests the coach is in it for his own results record not developing talent.

It's an abuse of his position. :(

You Hoofers really don't like proper footballers, do you?

Bringbackuselessfuckinragamuffinshadowchasers.

Coutts is not a proper footballer. You used to say a midfielder should be able to do everything, but coutts can't

Not wishing to pick a fight here. But that is utter bollocks my friend.

UTB

I've seen your posts in the past Dronnie and it's obvious you don't like target men in your teams, let alone appreciate what they bring to the team. If you feel it's utter bollocks fair enough, ditto your views on target men.

Upon reading every last post on this twatting thread I am now bastard-well miserable as fuck. Really, why on earth do we have such a bleeding bollocking problem with enjoying our cunting football?

Have I missed any swear words out? Wank!

Adrian - wash your filthy mouth out - Love Mum

Back
Top Bottom