United 2 Charlton 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The United bandwagon keeps on rolling as the Blades won again seeing off a decent Charlton Athletic side at Bramall Lane. Despite a really poor start when Ricky Holmes scored direct from a free kick, the Blades bounced back thanks to Jack O’Connell’s flicked header and then upped their game to eventually nose in front thanks to Daniel Lafferty’s effort. After this there were a few nervy moments but United did just about enough to edge the contest. With Fleetwood dropping points, United extended their lead over the third placed spot despite late wins for Bolton and Bradford. The Blades are now in a tremendous position with only eight league games to play.

Manager Chris Wilder opted to bring back James Hanson and Mark Duffy with Jay O’Shea and Caloan Lavery the unfortunate ones to drop out despite both scoring in the week. The bench looked strong with the aforementioned duo being joined by the likes of Carruthers, Wright, Chapman and Done as outfield options. Charlton’s season has been very inconsistent but the side featured players who had performed much higher up the league and began with the experienced Lee Novak and Tony Watt up top. They also included former Blades nemesis Nathan Byrne, back from injury.

Despite the poor weather with swirling wind and rain, the pitch looked immaculate especially considering it was mid-March and a far cry from some of the difficult surfaces United have played on away from home in recent weeks. Charlton came storming out of the blocks and were roaring into the early tackles and pressed United back. Indecision at the back saw United fail to clear and Coutts hauled down Forster Caskey to give the visitors a free kick right on the edge of the box. From the set play HOLMES took it and put it over the ball and past Moore to stun the league leaders. United had been sluggish and this continued and moments later after Bauer won a header, Watt sent an overhead kick goalward via a deflection and it hit the bar and bounced away. The Blades had simply not started and the crowd tried to lift the home side.

In previous games, United had controlled midfield and won the 50-50 battle but the early stages had been all Charlton. They had another cross scrambled clear as the lethargic start continued from United. However, despite this they managed to get level from the first meaningful effort on goal. They won a free kick wide on the right and after it was not cleared properly Duffy sent over an inviting cross and O’CONNELL flicked it into the goal. United were relieved to be level after such a poor start. Charlton were really having a go though and came again with Holmes firing over. Lafferty then blasted over when well-placed as United started to get a foot hold in the game.

Coutts and Fleck had been quiet but slowly started to win the midfield battle and with Duffy buzzing around you sensed the home side were starting to take control. From one delivery Fleck seemed to get knocked to the floor but the referee waved away penalty appeals before Sharp and Lafferty combined but Hanson could not get on the end of it. Charlton continued to look a threat and Moore had to get down low to save a shot from Watt. Despite this effort, you felt the tide was starting to turn and some neat and tidy stuff the ball found Sharp and his cross was pin point but just evaded Hanson and Fleck and went out for a goal kick. It was agonisingly close. Sharp then crossed and Bauer sliced horribly wide past his own keeper, fortunate not to find his own net.

The United improvement continued as Ebanks Landell headed over from Coutts corner. United ended the half well on top after such a poor start and had looked the more likely to score again.

After the break, United continued as they had left off and were on the attack and it was not long before they were in front. Patient build up saw the ball from Fleck and Coutts saw the ball eventually transferred to Freeman down the right. The wing back got free and sent over an inviting cross that seemed perfect for LAFFERTY coming in at the back stick. His first header was brilliantly saved from Rudd but Lafferty reacted first to knock the ball home into the net to give United the lead.

Soon after Holmes had a good chance in a very open game as he got free but fired over and then Konsa really should have levelled after good work down the left saw the ball come over. United once again had not been secure defensively and failed to stop crosses or mark in the middle. At the other end, Sharp headed off target when well-placed and then Fleck had a shot blocked. Still despite this poor play at the back, United looked very good going forward and some nice interchange saw Freeman find Duffy whose cross was just cut out at the back post. Soon after Duffy came off for Carruthers. The energetic midfielder was quickly into the action linking with Coutts and Freeman but Sharp could not get his shot away.

Holmes had been dangerous all game and fired over again when in a really good position but Basham was even closer from a header from a corner not long after at the other end. It was end to end stuff with Charlton having a real go but United probably playing the crisper football this half. Forster Caskey forced Moore into a save down low before

Hanson had worked hard but had ran his course and Lavery came on for him whilst Crofts came on for Forster Caskey for the visitors.

Carruthers then made a good run but his shot went into the side netting before Sharp went past his man and got baulked but opted to stay on his feet. He then went down after a lesser challenge from the keeper Rudd. In retrospect, the first one could have been given but the keepers challenge was more accidental. Lafferty then forced Rudd into a low save from a shot at his near post.

United were keeping the ball well but Charlton had looked dangerous on the break and it was a game that was still in the balance. Basham and O’Connell both made timely blocks before Freeman saw out another attack. United started to sit deep and hang onto what they had but Charlton had not had any clear chances as the game entered its final stage.

O’Shea came on for Coutts and Dasilva and Botaka came on for the Addicks as the game entered the last 5 minutes.

Lavery had done well twice to keep the ball and on one run he found his fellow sub O’Shea who fired over as United looked to seal the game. Carruthers made another trademark lung bursting run to see off more time just before the referee decreed there would be three minutes of stoppage time to be played. Lafferty did well again to chase down a ball before Basham again did well to see of a possible attack. The final whistle came soon after as Charlton failed to find any real chance of note. It was another huge three points and whilst United have played better they will be delighted to have come back from a deficit to win the game and the crowd as one rose to salute the players in another step towards promotion and possibly the League One title.

United – Today we were not quite as consistent and fluid as we have been and played in fits and starts but we won. That was the all-important thing. 3 points at this stage is all that matter. We started awfully and conceded a bad goal messing around and failing to clear and they scored from a free kick. They could have scored another one or two and hit the bar. We looked very slow and languid but slowly we started to come into the game. I think we were shocked by how attacking Charlton were. They were more open than many teams have been including Scunthorpe and Bolton and really had a go at us and got men forward. We got level really against the run of play and then even after this they nearly scored again. We had been poor but awoke from our slumber eventually. We slowly got back into the game and started to wrestle midfield back and then created a few chances. Two or three great balls just evaded players in the box and we had a few chances from set play. We definitely ended the half stronger and it had been a half of two halves. It probably was a fair score for it to be 1-1.

After the break, we came out strong and seemed to change things around formation wide and had more of a diamond with Coutts at the tip and Fleck further forward. We got the goal and you sensed we could get more. They started to look stretched and tire and we had a few half chances to put things away but it remained 2-1 and they had a few decent chances they blazed over when well placed. It was probably too open in reflection but Carruthers gave us more legs in the centre and we started to get more control of things then we had. I felt we looked like getting another but they remained a threat. We then got some good blocks in and clearances and Lavery gave us another spark also to close the game with his chasing and running. Charlton did not have too many chances in the last 15 minutes actually and we defended well. In the end, we just about did enough to win I felt.

We were not as impressive with the ball as we have been and also without we at times sat off too much and Charlton got into some good areas particularly in the first 15-20 minutes and for a spell after we scored in the second half. They had quite a few chances for an away side but were wasteful. They did have a go really and it made for quite an open game. United’s passing was not as fluent and at times things did not always come off but we managed to see things out well and I felt we did a professional job towards the end and were more restrictive than we had been earlier in the game. The defence just did the basics (which they had not done earlier).

Overall it was not a vintage Blades performance in keeping with many we have seen but we still saw glimpses of good football. Some players have done better than that many games but in the end, we grinded it out and made sure we got over the line. It is another step closer and with only 8 games to go team below are running out of games. We now have a tough trip to Oldham who are fighting for survival and it is not a great pitch but hopefully we can get another positive result. A draw would not be a disaster but such is the momentum with the big away support we will have there (I cannot make it sadly) you expect Wilder to have them going hell for leather for another win. The reality is that 2 or 3 more wins and we are nearly there. I feel the run in is perfect with two sides at the Lane who will be nearly down and a couple with nothing to play for in Northampton and MK. Millwall and Bradford will be tough at the Lane as will the two away games at Oldham and Port Vale but we surely should have enough to get the points we need. Nothing can go wrong now! Or can it?!

Charlton – Decent side who had a real go. Came out all guns blazing, scored a really good goal and could have had a few more. They shocked us a bit with their intent after so many sides have come here and simply defended. Made it an entertaining game. Their midfield had some players who got on the ball and were wanting to run at players. Holmes in particular was very good and Foster Caskey looked decent too. The two big lads at the back competed and Novak was handful with Watt getting in good spaces too. Byrne also showed his pace and running although maybe not quite the player that tore Bob Harris a new one a few years ago, down here.

They certainly all looked decent on the ball and competed for the 50/50’s and had some big lads they competed. May feel unfortunate not to have got a few goals clear but then once we got back into it they started to sit back more and we took over for spells. After we made it 2-1 thought they created a few decent chances but lacked composure to finish. Robinson said they controlled possession which is nonsense. They did for 10-15 minutes but after this I felt we had much more of the ball. Chances wise they had as many as us but neither keeper barely had a save to make all game with a lot off target outside of the goals.

I am not sure they quite did enough to get something in the end as toward the end they ran out of gas but shots on/off goal and possession/corner stats may see they make an argument they could have sneaked a point. They clearly have underachieved this year based on today as they looked a side that surely could have been near the top 6 but as Wilder says you have to do it every week and they clearly have not – no good turning it on against the top teams – Robinson alluded to the fact they have not lost to the top 6 – until today anyway. Surely he should be more concerned with form against inferior teams then? Worrying that the side seemingly turn it on and off.

They certainly competed better than quite a few teams down here and passed it better too. I reckon with a few incomers Robinson will have them near the top end next season. Of course, still issue off the field but if they can sort that out and bring in a few then they have a solid base based on what I saw today.

Opponent man of the match: Holmes was excellent. Despite his daft hair cut (top knot rather than slip knot) he scored a great free kick, got on the ball and probed a lot in the first half. We struggled to contain him. He continued to get on the ball second half too and we never quite worked out where he was playing. The two centre backs competed well and I felt Novak was a handful up top. Watt showed some decent play but was wasteful too.

Opponent Weak link: Chicken the lad who played left wing back struggled to stem a few attacks and I felt did not always sense the danger. I also felt the other lad Konsa on the other side made a few mistakes positional wise and also blazed over a good chance.

SUFC Player Ratings –

Moore 7/10 – For the free kick I felt he was a bit slow to react and was not quite into the corner but was a great floated effort. It is hard when a player knocks it in from so close but being a former keeper I felt he may have done better but that is being ultra-critical. After this he made one decent save you would expect him to make. Not sure he had many saves to make second half as they blasted over a few times. He took a few crosses and his distribution was fine.

Freeman 7/10 – Going forward continued to probe and attack and as he always does go into some good areas. He linked well with others and showed a lovely first touch (much underrated) and he was able to get into the box a lot. His final ball for the most part was poor. He hit the first man too much or played a wayward cross too many times but then he put over a great cross that led to the winner. He shows a great level of fitness and got a few nice interceptions in towards the end.

Lafferty 6/10 – I have to be honest his general play was poor for long spells with the ball even though he did some good stuff off the ball. He scored the goal (should have scored the header really but fair play for him to follow up and to get into a good position originally). His crossing though was really poor all game and I felt he was quite wasteful really. His touch at times comes off him and he needs to be tighter defensively. He got skinned (nutmegged first half) and also beat second half. Weird one as he scored the winner but one of our poorer players I felt. Did get forward into some great position though but he has to do better when he has the ball. I felt he found purple more than red and white a lot today but the winner I suppose makes up for much of the concerns.

Ebanks Landell 7/10 – He was ok for much of the game but at times his positional awareness can be poor. Two or three times they broke and he had one man to mark but got drew to the ball (when there was a man already near the ball or going to the ball). Not sure he quite gets the game at times and does not read it as well as other defenders. Still he won a fair few headers and blocks despite above critique. He has been steady-ish since coming back after that erratic spell going back into January.

O’Connell 7.5/10 – Very good. Committed all game. He started slowly like a few others and lost his man twice on corners but improved massively after this. He scored a goal and then made a number of blocks and clearances. He also went on one surging run near the end! A whole-hearted performer who has been very consistent this season. Decent on the ball but no nonsense when he needs to be. Lacks a bit of pace but his effort and will to win makes up for it.

Basham 8/10 – He was our best player today and that has been the case for quite a few games I have seen recently. His effort and will to win Is superb. He really shows how much he wants promotion for United and his reaction at the end summed it up. He really is running through brick walls for us. Making sure he is first to the ball, winning blocks, tackles, interceptions. He has been immense. He made two or three key tackles near the end today but that was typical of how he has been playing. He wins the ball when he has no right to and has been better on the ball when he has had it then at any other point of his Blades career. He has been our best player for a while now and whether midfield or defence he is carrying the ball forward and putting us on the front foot.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Like Coutts, he has played better and I felt for 15 minutes we were not in the game even though we got level. Charlton had much of the ball and won the loose stuff too. He got better and started to make the ball work for us and either side of the half time had a good spell. He played some neat passed short and long but then as the game went on it became scrappy again. He gave it away a few times also and was not at the level he has been. Still won a few blocks and interceptions as we got over the line.

Coutts 6/10 – Not his best game today. He gave ball away twice in first few minutes and also gave away the free kick that led to the goal. He seemed a little slow to the pace and I felt Charlton played picked off loose balls and got into decent areas. He started to improve and finished the half well. Second half was mixed; he did some decent things and was involved in some of our better play but he also gave it away a few times and this led to some chances to them. Came off near the end as we sought fresh legs.

Duffy 6.5/10 – After they started well, I felt he slowly came into the game and started to exert his influence. He put in a few good balls such as the one for the goal and another that nearly put Ebanks Landell in. Always looking to prompt and probe. Very clever footballer and gets into such good spaces. He did fade second half but he has not played since Rochdale so no surprise he came off on the hour. Thing he will be important when we play some of the poorer teams to help unlock defences.

Hanson 6/10 – He won a few headers and helped things on a few times but it was a bit of a tussle today and he had two big lads to compete with. He never really looks like scoring I have to say despite his hard work and hold up/flick ons but he does take men away. Should have got on the end of the Sharp cross and at times does not react to things but also the service from wide from both Freeman and Lafferty was quite poor and he must have got annoyed when he kept getting near the penalty spot and crosses kept sailing over.

Sharp 6.5/10 – Did not score for the second game running and other than one headed chance which he should have done better with, did not have many chances really. Put one great cross over near the end of the first half which should have been a goal. Him and Hanson’s partnership was a bit hit and miss and they did not always read each other. I felt he worked hard and ran the channels though and never stopped going and won quite a few free kicks. I am sure he will get back amongst the goals soon.

Subs

Carruthers 7/10 – Once again looked very good in fits and bursts. Carried the ball quite a bit when he had it and also was able to use his body position to buy/win a fair few free kicks also. He is decent on the ball and looks to get on it when he could. Still needs to get fitter and do the defensive stuff too but he was ok in this side also today but the impact sub role suits him at the moment.

Lavery – Only on for 15 minutes but was very good. Ran the channels, held the ball, everything stuck and linked well with others. Unlucky not to start but can see why he went with Hanson as they had two big lads at the back. He has been decent in the spells he has shown recently. His touch, running and game management was excellent when we needed to see out time.

O’Shea – He came on and had a decent effort as he met a cross from Lavery but sent his first time shot over on the run. He had a few others neat bits of play towards the end in limited time.

Manager – Wilder 7.5/10 – It was a win and he helped us regroup after a bad start. He changed the shape so we had one in front and one behind in the midfield and I felt allowed us to regain a semblance of control. He made the changes at the right time with Carruthers giving us a zest and running and extra legs. Also, Lavery and O’Shea gave us some freshness and penetration the final third we needed as we saw the game out. Odd one with Hanson and Lavery as the latter can say he was unfortunate not to start but Hanson did occupy the centre backs for long spells and helped tire them out.

He keeps getting the side motivated to do enough to win results. We were excellent in the last two home games against Scunthorpe and Bolton but the last three away games and today we may not have been as dominant or as smooth but we have still controlled large parts of most games and got 10 points out of 12. We not have 8 to go. He needs too just keep the momentum going. He may rotate things around a bit in the next few weeks with a couple of games in 4 days with Oldham and Millwall but then a week off before Coventry and then Northampton. I think we need to see if we can get a really good return from those 4 and then we have the Easter games and the two closing games to come. If we can keep a similar lead up to when we go into Port Vale (so the next 4) then we will have a chance of finishing things over those Easter games. Still Wilder will do the ‘one game at a time’ thing and just worry about another three points at Oldham.

Ref – Thought he was ok but he did not seem to bring any cards! There were a few fouls both ways especially as the game went on where you felt he could have produced a yellow card but then sometimes I am over critical of refs booking people so at least he was consistent I suppose. I cannot remember too many awful tackles I suppose and it was nice he tried to keep things flowing. We had an appeal for a pen first half for a push but I am not sure it was quite enough and the one on Sharp was also not convincing enough although if he had gone down on the defender foul could have been interesting. As for his ‘helpers’ they were awful. The one on John Street gave a terrible offside on Lafferty when he was miles onside and then also missed 2 or 3 clear foul throws. As poor as he was he was brilliant compared to the stooge/imposter who claimed to be a qualified assistant referee on the South Stand side. What a joker he was. He missed numerous offsides, fouls and got throw ins wrong. He was totally inept. He did not even seem to know the rules. I am unsure where they get some of these officials from! They look like they have never done the job in their life!

Crowd – 23,308 and 509 from Charlton. Another very decent crowd and I expect it to be topped for many of the remaining games although we do have two mid-week games before the derby games v Bradford and Chesterfield to round things off. There were a few hundred Blades in the lower tier and although that section will not be used for Millwall; it will be good to see the upper tier used for the final two games when we should expect close to sell-out crowds you would think. The home crowd began anxiously as we started poorly but like the team they grew into the game. I felt the fans were excellent second half and helped see us over the line willing the side on with the ‘Sheffield United’ chant surging around the stadium. I thought the last 10 minutes were excellent as the volume was upped considerably to help the players go the extra yard and make the blocks, tackles and runs.

Have to mention Gary Sinclair. Why announce a 2-2 score at Bolton when it was not 2-2? Maybe he got duff information but it was poor really and I could see it was 2-1 and full time. He has a great announcing voice and loves the Blades and is a part of the club but that was poor today and totally misleading.

As with a few other recent big wins; the crowd and Kop came alive as the players came towards them to salute them at the end. You felt the togetherness emanating around the ground and the belief that this is the season seems absolute. The chant of ‘The Blades are going up; The Blades are going up and now you’re going to believe us and now you’re going to believe us’ surrounded the stadium as the players came off the field.

Also Gary Sinclair said "We have four home games left" at the start. Not sure if he was counting from after today or if he'd just looked at the fixture card and not taken into account the rearranged Millwall game.

"Have to mention Gary Sinclair. Why announce a 2-2 score at Bolton when it was not 2-2? Maybe he got duff information but it was poor really and I could see it was 2-1 and full time. He has a great announcing voice and loves the Blades and is a part of the club but that was poor today and totally misleading."

A fantastic report as usual :) but I think a bit harsh on Gary S.
As a blade he was probably cheering his head off when HE saw that score-line and just wanted to pass it on!
He wouldn't have thought for a milli-second about any sort of error from the Beeb.
Forget accuracy and professionalism, think emotion and love of the Blades!

DB. Apparently, Northampton had a goal disallowed at the death and some agencies reported it as a goal then corrected it. I assume that's why GS said it was 2-2 and made me flip mi bloomin cap.

Charlton – Decent side who had a real go. Came out all guns blazing, scored a really good goal and could have had a few more. They shocked us a bit with their intent after so many sides have come here and simply defended. Made it an entertaining game. Their midfield had some players who got on the ball and were wanting to run at players. Holmes in particular was very good and Foster Caskey looked decent too. The two big lads at the back competed and Novak was handful with Watt getting in good spaces too. Byrne also showed his pace and running although maybe not quite the player that tore Bob Harris a new one a few years ago, down here.

They certainly all looked decent on the ball and competed for the 50/50’s and had some big lads they competed. May feel unfortunate not to have got a few goals clear but then once we got back into it they started to sit back more and we took over for spells. After we made it 2-1 thought they created a few decent chances but lacked composure to finish. Robinson said they controlled possession which is nonsense. They did for 10-15 minutes but after this I felt we had much more of the ball. Chances wise they had as many as us but neither keeper barely had a save to make all game with a lot off target outside of the goals.

I am not sure they quite did enough to get something in the end as toward the end they ran out of gas but shots on/off goal and possession/corner stats may see they make an argument they could have sneaked a point. They clearly have underachieved this year based on today as they looked a side that surely could have been near the top 6 but as Wilder says you have to do it every week and they clearly have not – no good turning it on against the top teams – Robinson alluded to the fact they have not lost to the top 6 – until today anyway. Surely he should be more concerned with form against inferior teams then? Worrying that the side seemingly turn it on and off.

They certainly competed better than quite a few teams down here and passed it better too. I reckon with a few incomers Robinson will have them near the top end next season. Of course, still issue off the field but if they can sort that out and bring in a few then they have a solid base based on what I saw today.

Opponent man of the match: Holmes was excellent. Despite his daft hair cut (top knot rather than slip knot) he scored a great free kick, got on the ball and probed a lot in the first half. We struggled to contain him. He continued to get on the ball second half too and we never quite worked out where he was playing. The two centre backs competed well and I felt Novak was a handful up top. Watt showed some decent play but was wasteful too.

Opponent Weak link: Chicken the lad who played left wing back struggled to stem a few attacks and I felt did not always sense the danger. I also felt the other lad Konsa on the other side made a few mistakes positional wise and also blazed over a good chance.

SUFC Player Ratings –

Moore 7/10 – For the free kick I felt he was a bit slow to react and was not quite into the corner but was a great floated effort. It is hard when a player knocks it in from so close but being a former keeper I felt he may have done better but that is being ultra-critical. After this he made one decent save you would expect him to make. Not sure he had many saves to make second half as they blasted over a few times. He took a few crosses and his distribution was fine.

Freeman 7/10 – Going forward continued to probe and attack and as he always does go into some good areas. He linked well with others and showed a lovely first touch (much underrated) and he was able to get into the box a lot. His final ball for the most part was poor. He hit the first man too much or played a wayward cross too many times but then he put over a great cross that led to the winner. He shows a great level of fitness and got a few nice interceptions in towards the end.

Lafferty 6/10 – I have to be honest his general play was poor for long spells with the ball even though he did some good stuff off the ball. He scored the goal (should have scored the header really but fair play for him to follow up and to get into a good position originally). His crossing though was really poor all game and I felt he was quite wasteful really. His touch at times comes off him and he needs to be tighter defensively. He got skinned (nutmegged first half) and also beat second half. Weird one as he scored the winner but one of our poorer players I felt. Did get forward into some great position though but he has to do better when he has the ball. I felt he found purple more than red and white a lot today but the winner I suppose makes up for much of the concerns.

Ebanks Landell 7/10 – He was ok for much of the game but at times his positional awareness can be poor. Two or three times they broke and he had one man to mark but got drew to the ball (when there was a man already near the ball or going to the ball). Not sure he quite gets the game at times and does not read it as well as other defenders. Still he won a fair few headers and blocks despite above critique. He has been steady-ish since coming back after that erratic spell going back into January.

O’Connell 7.5/10 – Very good. Committed all game. He started slowly like a few others and lost his man twice on corners but improved massively after this. He scored a goal and then made a number of blocks and clearances. He also went on one surging run near the end! A whole-hearted performer who has been very consistent this season. Decent on the ball but no nonsense when he needs to be. Lacks a bit of pace but his effort and will to win makes up for it.

Basham 8/10 – He was our best player today and that has been the case for quite a few games I have seen recently. His effort and will to win Is superb. He really shows how much he wants promotion for United and his reaction at the end summed it up. He really is running through brick walls for us. Making sure he is first to the ball, winning blocks, tackles, interceptions. He has been immense. He made two or three key tackles near the end today but that was typical of how he has been playing. He wins the ball when he has no right to and has been better on the ball when he has had it then at any other point of his Blades career. He has been our best player for a while now and whether midfield or defence he is carrying the ball forward and putting us on the front foot.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Like Coutts, he has played better and I felt for 15 minutes we were not in the game even though we got level. Charlton had much of the ball and won the loose stuff too. He got better and started to make the ball work for us and either side of the half time had a good spell. He played some neat passed short and long but then as the game went on it became scrappy again. He gave it away a few times also and was not at the level he has been. Still won a few blocks and interceptions as we got over the line.

Coutts 6/10 – Not his best game today. He gave ball away twice in first few minutes and also gave away the free kick that led to the goal. He seemed a little slow to the pace and I felt Charlton played picked off loose balls and got into decent areas. He started to improve and finished the half well. Second half was mixed; he did some decent things and was involved in some of our better play but he also gave it away a few times and this led to some chances to them. Came off near the end as we sought fresh legs.

Duffy 6.5/10 – After they started well, I felt he slowly came into the game and started to exert his influence. He put in a few good balls such as the one for the goal and another that nearly put Ebanks Landell in. Always looking to prompt and probe. Very clever footballer and gets into such good spaces. He did fade second half but he has not played since Rochdale so no surprise he came off on the hour. Thing he will be important when we play some of the poorer teams to help unlock defences.

Hanson 6/10 – He won a few headers and helped things on a few times but it was a bit of a tussle today and he had two big lads to compete with. He never really looks like scoring I have to say despite his hard work and hold up/flick ons but he does take men away. Should have got on the end of the Sharp cross and at times does not react to things but also the service from wide from both Freeman and Lafferty was quite poor and he must have got annoyed when he kept getting near the penalty spot and crosses kept sailing over.

Sharp 6.5/10 – Did not score for the second game running and other than one headed chance which he should have done better with, did not have many chances really. Put one great cross over near the end of the first half which should have been a goal. Him and Hanson’s partnership was a bit hit and miss and they did not always read each other. I felt he worked hard and ran the channels though and never stopped going and won quite a few free kicks. I am sure he will get back amongst the goals soon.

Subs

Carruthers 7/10 – Once again looked very good in fits and bursts. Carried the ball quite a bit when he had it and also was able to use his body position to buy/win a fair few free kicks also. He is decent on the ball and looks to get on it when he could. Still needs to get fitter and do the defensive stuff too but he was ok in this side also today but the impact sub role suits him at the moment.

Lavery – Only on for 15 minutes but was very good. Ran the channels, held the ball, everything stuck and linked well with others. Unlucky not to start but can see why he went with Hanson as they had two big lads at the back. He has been decent in the spells he has shown recently. His touch, running and game management was excellent when we needed to see out time.

O’Shea – He came on and had a decent effort as he met a cross from Lavery but sent his first time shot over on the run. He had a few others neat bits of play towards the end in limited time.

Manager – Wilder 7.5/10 – It was a win and he helped us regroup after a bad start. He changed the shape so we had one in front and one behind in the midfield and I felt allowed us to regain a semblance of control. He made the changes at the right time with Carruthers giving us a zest and running and extra legs. Also, Lavery and O’Shea gave us some freshness and penetration the final third we needed as we saw the game out. Odd one with Hanson and Lavery as the latter can say he was unfortunate not to start but Hanson did occupy the centre backs for long spells and helped tire them out.

He keeps getting the side motivated to do enough to win results. We were excellent in the last two home games against Scunthorpe and Bolton but the last three away games and today we may not have been as dominant or as smooth but we have still controlled large parts of most games and got 10 points out of 12. We not have 8 to go. He needs too just keep the momentum going. He may rotate things around a bit in the next few weeks with a couple of games in 4 days with Oldham and Millwall but then a week off before Coventry and then Northampton. I think we need to see if we can get a really good return from those 4 and then we have the Easter games and the two closing games to come. If we can keep a similar lead up to when we go into Port Vale (so the next 4) then we will have a chance of finishing things over those Easter games. Still Wilder will do the ‘one game at a time’ thing and just worry about another three points at Oldham.

Ref – Thought he was ok but he did not seem to bring any cards! There were a few fouls both ways especially as the game went on where you felt he could have produced a yellow card but then sometimes I am over critical of refs booking people so at least he was consistent I suppose. I cannot remember too many awful tackles I suppose and it was nice he tried to keep things flowing. We had an appeal for a pen first half for a push but I am not sure it was quite enough and the one on Sharp was also not convincing enough although if he had gone down on the defender foul could have been interesting. As for his ‘helpers’ they were awful. The one on John Street gave a terrible offside on Lafferty when he was miles onside and then also missed 2 or 3 clear foul throws. As poor as he was he was brilliant compared to the stooge/imposter who claimed to be a qualified assistant referee on the South Stand side. What a joker he was. He missed numerous offsides, fouls and got throw ins wrong. He was totally inept. He did not even seem to know the rules. I am unsure where they get some of these officials from! They look like they have never done the job in their life!

Crowd – 23,308 and 509 from Charlton. Another very decent crowd and I expect it to be topped for many of the remaining games although we do have two mid-week games before the derby games v Bradford and Chesterfield to round things off. There were a few hundred Blades in the lower tier and although that section will not be used for Millwall; it will be good to see the upper tier used for the final two games when we should expect close to sell-out crowds you would think. The home crowd began anxiously as we started poorly but like the team they grew into the game. I felt the fans were excellent second half and helped see us over the line willing the side on with the ‘Sheffield United’ chant surging around the stadium. I thought the last 10 minutes were excellent as the volume was upped considerably to help the players go the extra yard and make the blocks, tackles and runs.

Have to mention Gary Sinclair. Why announce a 2-2 score at Bolton when it was not 2-2? Maybe he got duff information but it was poor really and I could see it was 2-1 and full time. He has a great announcing voice and loves the Blades and is a part of the club but that was poor today and totally misleading.

As with a few other recent big wins; the crowd and Kop came alive as the players came towards them to salute them at the end. You felt the togetherness emanating around the ground and the belief that this is the season seems absolute. The chant of ‘The Blades are going up; The Blades are going up and now you’re going to believe us and now you’re going to believe us’ surrounded the stadium as the players came off the field.
Good report as always. Think you have under rated Duffy. Thought he was excellent - back to his best and should be a 7.5. I had him rivalling Bash for motm until he went off but after that Bash got better and better and was certainly motm.
Also would have given Coutts 7.
Thought the ref started really poorly. Definitely missed the push on Fleck and Billy was pulled back second half just enough to stop him getting to the ball. Also thought Lavern was deliberately blocked late in just over the half way line. Didn't even give a free kick and to me it was a booking. Agree linesman on Southstand was appalling. It was not a difficult game to ref as both teams were playing good football and as the game progressed ref got better apart from incidents mentioned.

Excellent as ever.

But.

How anyone could give Hanson > 4 is beyond me. Affected precisely squat today.

All abart opinions !

UTB

Those E="Mark1889, post: 1263713, member: 18155"]Great report!
And yes, my phone alert told me it was 2-2 but the goal was disallowed![/QUOTE]
Those goal alerts are an absolute bigger. I got one at Rochdale to say Scunthorpe had equalised against Fleetwood and one on Tuesday to say Swindon had equalised against us. Both offside.

Excellent as ever.

But.

How anyone could give Hanson > 4 is beyond me. Affected precisely squat today.

All abart opinions !

UTB

Have to agree. Thought Hanson was awful today. Sure he clattered their CHs around a bit but he won little in the air and whenever the ball was at his feet it then had a 50/50 chance (at best) of going back to one of our players.
I would have preferred to see Lavery start today but we won so all is good.

Don't agree with these slating Hanson, he won plenty of headers <pity Sharp has got zero anticipation> and takes a hell of a lot of pressure off the rest of the team. As esoon as he went off, the ball went forward, the ball came straight back unchallenged. With Hanson in the team it ensures the opposing centre halves aren't on easy street clearing their lines.

I think 6/10 is fair for Hanson...I would have preferred Lavery on earlier,although CW didn't take long to take him off when he nearly put Charlton clean through when the ball was played up to him around the Halfway line,and his pass nearly put them in..luckily JOC sorted it out.

Hanson was fine. Coutts played better than Fleck. Eel was excellent.

Not one of Deadbat's best.
I agree Eel was excelllent.
He made at least two crucial interceptions through superb anticipation and positioning.
His one tackle on the marauding winger down at the BL end was also outstanding.

Great report!
And yes, my phone alert told me it was 2-2 but the goal was disallowed!
On Tuesday my phone alert told me that Swindon had equalised and that it was 3-3. It caused a deep depression to set in for five minutes.

Hanson had his worse game for us today. He gave the ball away three times which nearly led to three goals. Knocking the ball straight down the middle to the opposition. Terrible first touch and hold up play, ball was not sticking. Granted he did get a few knockdowns though with his head. But a five for me. I thought Sharp was a seven, he ran himself to the ground for the team, and won us some free kicks when we were under a bit a pressure. However, another great detailed report, love em, and keep them coming!

Coutts was awful for most of the game and appeared to be in a running battle with wilder all day. Surprised he came out after half time to be honest.

I imagine you have to sit on the lop watching balls goes right to left and vice versa to say he has a good game.

Hanson was fine. Coutts played better than Fleck.o_O Eel was excellent.

Not one of Deadbat's best.
You are unbelievably smitten with this guy. Mucked about at the back and cost us the first goal. Had chances to challenge for headers but did not challenge till the second half. One can only think he got a rocket from CW at half time so he picked up a bit. Still the worst player on the pitch for us today and as someone else mentioned if it was not for reasonable progress in other games and we were a struggling team he would/should have been off after 20 mins.
As a vice Captain his example to others is shocking during a game. Yes he can control a ball and play a good pass but he had little influence yesterday apart for the opposition. I always said Basham Should have been given the Captaincy if Sharp goes off because he is so influential and yesterday his skill and technique in ALL departments blinded what Coutts offered.

I like Coutts and he has had a great season but he was not as good yesterday. Glad you noted his poor attempts to win the ball I counted 3 or 4 times when it was a 50-50 challange and he simply did not go in. He was badly at fault for the first game. Do not think Fleck was as good yesterday either but did more off the ball work than Coutts.

I do not think it was one of Hanson's better games. Indeed last two I have seen at Rochdale and today he has been poor but his work and presence does make a difference ad softens them up for when Lavery comes on also.

I thought EEL was ok but he gets drawn to the ball. Sometimes it works and he makes a good tackle but quite a few times the ball is of course played across and he has little awareness of where men are. He left an unmarked man twice second half and they should have scored on both bit fired over.

My only criticism is that, once again, we had patches where Billy was out on the wing, putting the ball in, when there is no one better than him for being in the box to receive. Also, in the first half, when he fired a low cross along the goal line and two of our players (Hanson and ?) slid in but missed by an inch, that should have been an easy tap in.

I thought Charlton were pretty good and Holmes was a handful all game.

Three points is three points, and I will take that every game from now until the end of the season!

Carruthers once again showing superb skill and trickery, and O'Shea is a handful as well. As I have said before (almost weekly), Carruthers, Lavery, O'Shea, what a bench to have!

My ratings for what it's worth..

Moore - 7 - definitely offered too much of the net to Holmes on the free kick but fairly faultless after that. Also, whenever I think about being too critical I remember Long in goal, shudder and that the heavens for us signing this lad.

Bash - 9 - Immense, got stuck in all over the park and drove us on. He was the leader on the pitch yesterday. Undroppable in my opinion.

O'Connel - 8 - Excellent on the whole after a shaky start and credit for the goal

EEL - 7 - Looked the dopiest of the bunch in the first 20 minutes but stuck at it and was an absolute man mountain towards the end.

Freeman - 7 - Had a good game. Did the dirty stuff quite well and linked up nicely in the attacking 3rd. A great cross in for our 2nd.

Lafferty - 6 - What to say about this guy?.. Had me tearing my hair out at times with his crossing yet he also managed to put in a couple of pearlers only for no one to be in a position to attack them. I think his decision making let's him down sometimes and he perhaps lacks the vision of his team mates but he doesn't let his head drop and keeps at it. A great run into the box for the goal that settled everyone down so credit to him.

Coutts - 6 - A quietish game by his standards and he seemed to make more mistakes than normal but to be fair that midfield was a scrap at times, especially in the early stages. When we were on top he was very much anchoring the play as normal and kept things ticking over

Fleck - 5 - I have to say that I barely noticed him, and that is not something I expected to say this season. He just didn't seem to influence anything but I can't be too harsh because he is still a class above.

Duffy - 7 - Excellent for an hour, including an outrages piece of skill early on when set upon by a couple of their players I love watching him play when he is on it, he just makes things happen and is always available as an outlet. I expected him to fade eventually due to his recent injury and I think we will see this more due to his age but still a cracking little player.

Sharp - 5 - Not his best game but he battled and scrapped as hard as ever. Things just weren't landing for him yesterday but it made no difference in the end. He'll bag a brace at Oldham.

Hanson - 3 - Sorry but I thought he was poor. Put himself about as much as ever and roughed up their CBs in patches but seemed less effective in the air than normal and struggled to pick out team mates with his passing. Maybe it just wasn't the right game for him. Still he runs himself into the ground and has done quite well for us so far so I'll forgive him.

Carruthers - 7 - Looked class again. Has superb skills, rides out challenges with ease and is always positive in his play. He was the perfect player to bring on and add some zip into the middle. Fairly sure we will see him notch a couple before the season ends and I expect him to be in the starting 11 next season.

Lavery - should have started in my opinion. Worked the left side really well and made a couple of those mazy runs into the box that he is so good at.

O' Shea - A brief cameo only but he helped us see out the game and made some decent attacking runs.

Wilder - 8 - I suspect the equaliser and end of first half display spared the players a reyt old bollocking at half time but whatever was said did the trick and we showed a real ruthless streak when we came out. Some good changes in formations and tactics throughout and old hamster chops back down the M1 with a face on. A good day at the office overall.

My ratings for what it's worth..

Moore - 7 - definitely offered too much of the net to Holmes on the free kick but fairly faultless after that. Also, whenever I think about being too critical I remember Long in goal, shudder and that the heavens for us signing this lad.

Bash - 9 - Immense, got stuck in all over the park and drove us on. He was the leader on the pitch yesterday. Undroppable in my opinion.

O'Connel - 8 - Excellent on the whole after a shaky start and credit for the goal

EEL - 7 - Looked the dopiest of the bunch in the first 20 minutes but stuck at it and was an absolute man mountain towards the end.

Freeman - 7 - Had a good game. Did the dirty stuff quite well and linked up nicely in the attacking 3rd. A great cross in for our 2nd.

Lafferty - 6 - What to say about this guy?.. Had me tearing my hair out at times with his crossing yet he also managed to put in a couple of pearlers only for no one to be in a position to attack them. I think his decision making let's him down sometimes and he perhaps lacks the vision of his team mates but he doesn't let his head drop and keeps at it. A great run into the box for the goal that settled everyone down so credit to him.

Coutts - 6 - A quietish game by his standards and he seemed to make more mistakes than normal but to be fair that midfield was a scrap at times, especially in the early stages. When we were on top he was very much anchoring the play as normal and kept things ticking over

Fleck - 5 - I have to say that I barely noticed him, and that is not something I expected to say this season. He just didn't seem to influence anything but I can't be too harsh because he is still a class above.

Duffy - 7 - Excellent for an hour, including an outrages piece of skill early on when set upon by a couple of their players I love watching him play when he is on it, he just makes things happen and is always available as an outlet. I expected him to fade eventually due to his recent injury and I think we will see this more due to his age but still a cracking little player.

Sharp - 5 - Not his best game but he battled and scrapped as hard as ever. Things just weren't landing for him yesterday but it made no difference in the end. He'll bag a brace at Oldham.

Hanson - 3 - Sorry but I thought he was poor. Put himself about as much as ever and roughed up their CBs in patches but seemed less effective in the air than normal and struggled to pick out team mates with his passing. Maybe it just wasn't the right game for him. Still he runs himself into the ground and has done quite well for us so far so I'll forgive him.

Carruthers - 7 - Looked class again. Has superb skills, rides out challenges with ease and is always positive in his play. He was the perfect player to bring on and add some zip into the middle. Fairly sure we will see him notch a couple before the season ends and I expect him to be in the starting 11 next season.

Lavery - should have started in my opinion. Worked the left side really well and made a couple of those mazy runs into the box that he is so good at.

O' Shea - A brief cameo only but he helped us see out the game and made some decent attacking runs.

Wilder - 8 - I suspect the equaliser and end of first half display spared the players a reyt old bollocking at half time but whatever was said did the trick and we showed a real ruthless streak when we came out. Some good changes in formations and tactics throughout and old hamster chops back down the M1 with a face on. A good day at the office overall.
Lavery to start for me Hanson is more potent as an impact player.
Showed that at Swindon

Wow. I hope coutts doesn't read this forum, been one of our best players this season. And a big part of how the way we play and the position were in. He has one abject game, and is slated. What about fleck? He was no better. You can't be great every single game. Has not anybody played football before. Top players have off games. That's the way it is. Coutts is not a great defender. Not all midfielders can defend.

Think it's worth noting that although Duffy is excellent on the ball and hardly ever looses it regardless of how many opposing players are around him, his crossing of the ball often leaves a lot to be desired. I lost count of the amount of times that he got into excellent crossing positions and either over hit it, hit the first man or put it straight into the keeper arms. He wasn't the only player guilty of this as I think our crossing (including corners) is generally pretty bad. It always highlights it to me when Billy (the last player you want crossing the ball from out wide) consistenantly puts in better crosses than our wide players.

Great result yesterday though and I thought the atmosphere towards the end of the game especially was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom