United 1 Wolves 0 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Every report I've seen has suggested that Henderson was beaten by the Neves free kick. He was, because he covered the goal and the freekick was off target - not by much, but still off target.

Screengrab below is just after the ball hits the bar. Any lower and Henderson saves it.

View attachment 85211

Aside from that, hard to disagree. No stand out performances but lots of 7s and 8s - I saw it pretty much as you saw it Deadbat but I'd edge Norwood up by a point.

I agree
I think that Henderson had that free kick covered!!
I’m sure that’s the level of self confidence that he has that he knew exactly where that ball was going

I agree
I think that Henderson had that free kick covered!!
I’m sure that’s the level of self confidence that he has that he knew exactly where that ball was going
The six man wall did its job - the only place Neves was going was over the wall into the near top corner. Henderson's starting position was excellent; only a deceptive effort like Harry Wilson's for Derby last season* would have caused any issues.

*That was an exceptional effort - completely confused Henderson who went the wrong way from a free kick.

I heard in the podcast that McGoldrick is vital to the way we play. It’s a commonly expressed sentiment.

As well as not scoring in the league, the last time McGoldrick touched the ball during a move we scored from was on 14 December, when he laid on Fleck’s second goal.

this lack of tangible output coupled with the consensus that he is a vital cog in our machinery is one of the oddest and most fascinating things about this season, and that’s saying something.

I hope he scores before it’s over.

I heard in the podcast that McGoldrick is vital to the way we play. It’s a commonly expressed sentiment.

As well as not scoring in the league, the last time McGoldrick touched the ball during a move we scored from was on 14 December, when he laid on Fleck’s second goal.

this lack of tangible output coupled with the consensus that he is a vital cog in our machinery is one of the oddest and most fascinating things about this season, and that’s saying something.

I hope he scores before it’s over.
Stats and "facts" v Seeing the real picture, is a fascinating study. Some get it; some don't.

What is the real picture in your eyes?

I have no settled view on this so I’m interested.

First of all, I don't belong to a relatively small group of "naysayers" on this forum who seem to enjoy sniping at certain players they happened to dismiss as not good enough very soon after joining the Blades. Some almost seem to wish them to fail, despite their protestations to the contrary when those players show improvement; it's almost a case of "well - it's about time they started earning their pay-packet or showing their transfer-fee value". Others, though not as openly critical, take a more analytical and "subtle" approach by justifying their expert opinion by quoting stats, especially "goals" and "assists".
Some fans, and expert pundits too of course, point to our lack of goals and maybe dream about us signing some wonder-boy who is going to get us a significant number of goals to justify his on-going presence in the team. Chris Wilder is much more of a realist, fortunately for us fans, and knows what is feasible and practical given our financial limitations and what we can achieve given the resources available.
David McGoldrick is a valuable player, irrespective of what transfer value or goal-scoring record he has. Seeing how we play with him and without him should be enough for anyone who professes to have knowledge of the game, and is able to see how the team as a whole is performing with him in the team, and be able to compare performances of the team when he is not. It's also necessary of course to recognise that the presence or absence of other players affects performances too; individual performances can't be assessed in some sort of isolated "bubble". It's the interaction of all the players in the team that matters, and McGoldrick is a positive force within the team. I don't give a monkey's toss to be honest with you if he doesn't score goals; but if or when his contribution to the team dips to a level I regard as non-positive then I'll accept it's time for him to move on.
However, I certainly won't adopt a cynical attitude or resort to implied sarcastic digs at him if/when that time comes.

Every report I've seen has suggested that Henderson was beaten by the Neves free kick. He was, because he covered the goal and the freekick was off target - not by much, but still off target.

Screengrab below is just after the ball hits the bar. Any lower and Henderson saves it.

View attachment 85211

Aside from that, hard to disagree. No stand out performances but lots of 7s and 8s - I saw it pretty much as you saw it Deadbat but I'd edge Norwood up by a point.

Hendo was high enough but he wouldn't have saved it coz it was wide of his outstretched hand

Back
Top Bottom