United 1 Chelsea 2 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Report and pod below

---

United’s recent improvements and renaissance came to an end as they were beaten at home by Chelsea on Sunday evening at Bramall Lane. With the chance to go off the bottom with a positive result, the Blades were not quite able to keep up with a talented Chelsea side who completed the league double over United, after failing to beat them last season in either game.

The Blades started well and missed a good chance from Oliver Burke and thought they had a penalty but an offside flag denied them and then slowly Chelsea took over with Mason Mount scoring a well worked goal before half time. A fortunate own goal by Antonio Rudinger gave the Blades a lifeline but a howler at the other end by Kean Bryan saw Ramsdale bring down Werner who had caused problems all night. Jorginho rolled in the penalty and Chelsea eased to the victory after this. United have now lost 18 games this season and 9 out of 12 at Bramall Lane and remain at the bottom of the league after a weekend where teams above the relegation zone picked up more points. It seems that the Blades hopes of survival are running out as despite the win in midweek, United are further away from safety than when the week started.

United made four changes from the week with two enforced. George Baldock was unfit and Ethan Ampadu ineligible against his parent club but also out went the front two from the week McGoldrick and Sharp. Wilder brought in Oliver Burke and Oli McBurnie to start in attack. United opted to only name 6 of the permitted 9 subs preferring not to use any youngster and still no places for the likes of Rodwell and Robinson. New Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel made changes also despite an impressive start to his reign with his new side not having conceded a goal in three games. Christiansen, Chilwell and Giroud came in for Silva, Alonso and Hudson Odoi.

Inside 10 seconds McBurnie made his presence felt with a crunching challenge but then the same man played in Burke and he was in on the angle for a really good chance but went near side and it was a few years wide.

At the other end Lowe was at full stretch and conceded a corner letting his man go and then soon after this Chelsea had a great chance as Werner was in after neat football beat the offside trap and as Ramsdale advanced the striker went round him but Basham got back to make a great clearance.

It had been one good chance each for either side. Lundstram went on a lung bursting run but did not have the legs to get away from Mount. On 8 minutes Fleck went on a nice run after jinking past his man and Christansen pulled him back but the free kick was too easy and Giroud headed away. It had been a decent start from United and they thought they had a penalty on 11 minutes when the ball over from Bryan saw Basham come inside his man and Chilwell seemed to bring him down. It took a while for referee Friend to give it but he did. Unfortunately for the Blades Basham had strayed just offside and the VAR checks ruled the penalty out.

Chelsea then started to come into the game and had a spell of possession and started to push United back. They started to move through the lines and were now finding openings. Basham then lost his man and Bryan did well to get back and got his foot in.

Werner then came at Basham again and it led to him chopping his man down for a yellow card and from the free kick poor marking saw Azpilicueta clear as Chelsea had two on one but his header was tame.

Burke then found a bit of space on the angle but his curled effort was a long way wide and over.

Werner continued to drift into good areas and him and Mount continued to link well as Chelsea were now dominating the ball and probing. However, decent control from Burke saw United get up the field and then Bogle ran through three men but took too long when he maybe should have got a shot away and despite United keeping the ball for the first time for a while, they were crowded out.

Rudinger then shot wide before Norwood gave it away twice. United had been good with the ball but a spell on the half hour summed up the struggles for the last 15-20 minutes. Fleck gave it away this time and then Egan cleared it off Bryan before Bogle did well at the back post.

Chelsea then got round on the angle as Bogle this time lost his man and as it came back Bryan took one of the team with the brave block but it was just offside in the initial move. Lowe then did well to wrestle the ball away from Mount but United were now struggling to have any of the ball and Chelsea were finding gaps between the lines.

The Blades needed to get to half time and Lundstram did well at the other end but Fleck’s cross was too close to Mendy before Chelsea got away and more good work down the right saw Chilwell win a corner. Fleck then lost out in midfield too easily to Jorginho before Chelsea won another corner. It was one way traffic and you felt a goal coming and so it proved.

Giroud held it up well and it saw the ball fall to Kovacic who found Chilwell. In turn he switched it to Werner who ran off Basham and his pull back was perfect to MOUNT who was completely unmarked on the penalty spot. His finish was crisp and well away from Ramsdale for a deserved lead.

After this Chelsea continued to knock it around with purpose and the Blades were glad to get in at half time just 1-0 behind. They had started the game well but for much of it after this initial burst with the Burke chance and the penalty incident, had been second best.

The second half saw the Blades kick towards the Kop; albeit empty. The game was scrappy and United at least got them further up the field and suddenly were fortuitously level. McBurnie knocked it on but Burke mis controlled it and RUDINGER inexplicably knocked it past Mendy and into his own net. It was a dreadful mistake and came out of nothing.

Still United were not level for long and it was a give away at the other end only four minutes later. There again seemed little danger but a horrific piece of defensive work saw a penalty for the visitors with VAR involved.

It was a dreadful pass back from Bryan and Werner was in and went past Ramsdale and the keeper seemed to catch him full flight as he went round him. Referee Friend did not give it initially but it seemed clear cut and after the ball went out, the referee was told to look at it and it did not take him long to give it. Ramsdale was fortunate not to escape further punishment being the last man.

JORGINHO knocked it in easily sending the keeper the wrong way and the lead was quickly restored.

McBurnie tried to get in at the other end but as he ran through he went down under a challenge but this time the contact seemed minimal and the officials were happy there was no wrong doing.

James then cut inside and fired just over as Chelsea looked to finish the game. Chilwell and Giroud went off for Alonso and Hudson Odoi for Chelsea whilst McGoldrick came on for Burke on the hour mark.

Chelsea were now back in dominant mood and the Blades back line could not get forward like they did on the week. More good football with the Blades nowhere near their men saw a cross come in and Bogle did well to clear away from sub Alonso for a corner. The delivery saw Rudinger flick wide. It was all Chelsea and United had not looked like getting back into the game.

Sharp came on for Bryan with 23 minutes to go as United went to a back four and McGoldrick win a corner but Chelsea broke from this and showed the danger on the counter with Hudson Odoi.

Chelsea were moving it about with ease and the Blades simply could not get any head way at all as the visitors were comfortable and most off the game was played in the United half. Mount and Jorginho pinged it about and Kovacic was able to just sit in front. It was a fairly uneventful contest and it seemed to be drifting to an easy win for them.

McGoldrick had a shot but it trickled through to the keeper whilst at the other end Werner nearly got in again after good play. Mount continued to just play the ball between the United midfield with space appearing all over. James had a shot deflected over for a corner with Ramsdale backpedalling.

Fleck at least had one run forward going around two players before his cross was blocked by Rudinger. Werner came off to be replaced by Kante, showing the wealth of class and experience that the visiting side had. Sharp worked hard down the right and found space but his cross was just away from McBurnie.

The game entered the final 10 minutes but Chelsea were seeing the game out rather too comfortably. When the Blades had it, they could barely put two or three passes together and Chelsea just moved it around. Brewster came on for Norwood but the game seemed to be drifting away. Chelsea had not been put under any real pressure and Lundstram’s dithering and poor cross led to more frustration from Wilder on the side-line whose side had not created anything of note as the game entered five minutes of additional time. However, Lowe won a free kick and as the ball dropped from Fleck’s delivery Brewster had a shot blocked from Rominger. Chelsea saw time out quite easily but Sharp then did well to win a throw and as the ball came into the box, the striker tried an acrobatic overhead kick that Mendy pushed away. McBurnie was offside in the follow up. This was the only real save of note he made all game and came with almost the last kick. The final whistle went soon after.

United – Well beaten tonight even though the scoreline makes it seem close. I felt we were second best individually and collectively. It was much like the Spurs game really. They just had better players and after we started well, they got on top and just moved us about. I felt we had started well and got amongst them and Burke had to score that chance. It is a really bad miss. They then had a chance as Basham cleared and of course the penalty could have gone the other way. I do feel after this they woke up and took control. We were sloppy on the ball but sat off them and a mixture of us not being able to get close enough and them being way too quick and clever with movement, meant you felt the goal was coming. They just came through the lines and picked us off. When we had it we gave it away and Fleck/Norwood were so sloppy after starting well. The goal was well made but like a training ground and easy really.

After this they were in control and even after we got a fortunate goal, we then made an awful error. Wilder will say that turned the game and we cannot afford to do that and he is right but not sure anyone thought we would get anything even at 1-1. They would have just upped it and after they led, they saw it out easily. The last 20-25 minutes were dull as they just moved it around and we did not tackle/hustle or even get amongst them. It was all very practice match and they looked miles better. We lacked belief and they just did what they had to. Like earlier in the season, I felt that Chelsea could have upped it but did not need to. They just played in front of us and the defence had an easy time really. Sharp at least caused a few problems and did not more than the other strikers in 20 minutes than the rest did all game. He has to start at the moment as is at least causing issues and looking like creating or scoring.

I was really disappointed tonight as felt it was reminiscent of many games earlier in the season and also the Tottenham game. We just gave them too much respect, lacked belief. Not sure anyone had a good game individually and department wise they were better in every area really. I know they have much better players and movement and technique and everything else! However, I expect them to get closer to them and got their foot in and break things up. We never did that. We were 5 yards off. Compare that to the Man Utd and Man City games. They found little pockets and spaces and got in when they needed to. I think they barely got out of 2nd gear. I also thought the few times we had it, especially 2nd half we did not keep it and gave it away really sloppily.

We seemed to lack the energy and pressing we had in recent games where we have hunted in packs and then when we had it, we were wasteful and out of ideas. We never really hurt them after the first few minutes really.

The crosses and passing was off and we just gave it back and they kept having long spells with the ball. Sharp at least had a bit of a go but I thought overall we looked a team that felt we could not really hurt a team like that and we looked a side that felt sorry for us a bit. I felt we looked like a side that were relegated. The game was quite dull and never did I feel we had a go. Maybe we could not. Maybe they had moved it around us and we were knackered as they just had so much of the ball but I think we could have done more. Did the players leave everything out there? Not sure. Quality wise we looked woeful for the most part other than a few moments here and there. Technically it was like a Premier League side playing a lower Champ team who just tried to stay in the game but never looked like scoring. I thought we went down very meekly. As I say Chelsea are better than us but we did much more with and without the ball in the game v the Manchester teams. I am not sure Chelsea had loads of chances but did not need to. They got in front and then after the error, led again. They then just passed it round and won quite easily. We only had that one last Sharp effort really.

I saw some getting frantic about Newcastle losing yesterday and looking at Brighton or Burnley scores but I am sorry but those doing that are really deluding themselves. We are gone and have been for a long time despite the great run. The Man Utd win was fantastic but we only narrowly beat Newcastle and West Brom and still have to play Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs (all of whom will be back on form when we play them as everyone seems to be in form when we face them!) and Leicester and Wolves away We might get the odd point from those but then that’s it anyway as even if we won every other game we would still be down. I am not sure we will get anything from the next two away games in West Ham and Fulham and then it is done, if it is not already. I was feeling quite positive again but tonight ahs deflated me a bit again – not the loss – as 2-1 to Chelsea not a disgrace but more the meek and mild way we lost and felt we were a bit insipid. Maybe I am being harsh but outside of the first 10 minutes I did not think we were I the game or got close to them anywhere near enough and it was just all too comfortable.

At least we have a break from the league and can see how we fare against a side who will be at our level in Bristol City. This will be interesting as I see them as a classic mid table side. If we expect to be near the top next season you would think, albeit a one off, that this would be a side we should be too strong for. I expect he will go back to Sharp and McGoldrick and of course Ampadu is back too. We need to put everything into this as a good cup run is probably all we have left apart from playing for pride and some momentum for next season.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 5/10 – Bit of indecision to start when Werner went through and I was concerned he would chop him down but Basham at least helped us out by clearing. After this not sure he had much to do really and they had a few half chances but they went wide before the goal he has not chance and was badly exposed. After this he then gives away the penalty. Some will say he had no choice and the player ran into him but again he does not quite get there and once he goes; he has to be quicker for me and not go to ground. He would have been better standing up or even staying back. He then struggled on and had an injury but did not really have any saves to make. Not sure they had many efforts at all game. Still giving away a penalty is not great and I am sorry but I am still a long way convinced by him. I worry when it goes near him. Never a good sign.

Bogle 6/10 – Showed the two sides of his game. Defensively they caused him issues a few times and he was guilty of ball watching a fair bit. He seems to not know when men run off him. He lost the man a few times. Did well once with a defensive header at 0-0. The goal he like others was caught watching the ball and not runners. Going forward we saw that one mazy run but outside of that cannot recall him getting forward too much. Second half he kept going but not sure he got inside the Chelsea half much and was defending more. He did do a bit better second half and cleared one from Alonso at the far post.

Lowe 6/10 – Made a few mistakes early flicking one out for a corner and then being too far off his man but then did ok for a bit with some better moments where he was closer to his man. Second half got pulled about quite a bit I felt and they seemed to just move the defence about. He looked a bit in no mans land but credit to him he at least got forward a bit an won a corner and free kick. Not sure quality wise on and off the ball he is at the level of teams like Chelsea as we have seen in both games but did a better tonight than at Stamford Bridge.

Basham 5/10 – Started the game with a great defensive clearance and then nearly got us a penalty but then started to go wrong and Werner got away from him on numerous occasions. He nearly got in twice before he did set up the goal. Basham got booked for chopping him down also and he struggled with his movement and quality. All night he seemed to not know whether to get tight or come off him. The goal he just lost him and then due to the stupid booking did not want to tough him. Second half I thought we may see him try and get forward but not sure he barely got over half way as he had to stay home due to them leaving men up and the movement. Looked exceptional the other night but against better player/s struggled tonight.

Bryan 5/10 – Thought he was our best defender first half and got some decent blocks in and made a few tackles too. One great block and another decent tackle. I did think on the goal that maybe he needs to sense the danger a bit earlier but not sure who was marking Mount – a midfielder? Then he made an absolute howler on the 2nd goal where he made a mess with is wrong foot and did not look at all. Dreadful defending you cannot do at this level. He then started to lose his men and got very loose in his defensive work before he was taken off. He did ok actually but you cannot make errors such as that and, in a sense, it cost us the game.

Egan 6.5/10 – Steady enough but not sure why he was marking Rudinger on corners – I would have had him on Giroud rather than Basham. He was struggling with the movement as they got runners in between him and the other centre backs but felt this was more down to the midfield. His ball to Bryan is not great, he needs to move it down the field. After this he struggled with quicker and more mobile players but they did not have many chances really. He was ok in that no glaring errors I suppose and they did not have too many clear chances.

Lundstram 5.5/10 – Started the game well with a few good touches and a couple of decent runs also and felt he was part of our good start but then faded quite a bit as he often does and did not see much of him as they started to dictate and our whole midfield sat off and were done by decent movement. He was maybe a 7 for the first half. Thought second half he was really poor and I felt the whole midfield were outclassed. He finally had the ball a few times at the end but wasted it. Two or three times he has chance to cross it at the end and dithered and then finally put over an awful looped cross. He kept checking inside and coming back and then messed it up when he did put it in twice. Seems to put so much in to start games he then just fades away by the hour mark.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Not sure he was good as he has been but still our best player. He at least tried to make things happen even though he also gave it away and I felt off the ball was not great. He began with a jinking run and won a foul and a few other good moments but then started to struggle and gave it away a few times. I am not sure whether it was him or Ampadu or Lowe that needs to go with Mount but it was woeful and they were all marking no one at this point. Just poor and lazy. I felt he started to struggle with the runners through midfield and then did not see the ball. Second half he came again and our main threat with a few good runs and the one where he ran at three defenders was really good. Tried to run at them and at least work openings when we had it but off the ball felt we were chasing shadows midfield.

Norwood 5/10 – He started the game ok with some decent balls and interceptions and was fine with the rest of the team but then as the game went on they were too quick and nimble. He gave it away as they harried him and twice, he coughed it up. I thought they dominated midfield from minute 15 and we never got into them at all. When we had it, we just gave it them back. He then never saw it at all and did that annoying thing where he goes down on one knee to make the tackles/interceptions. A few times it came off but often put us out of the game too. Second half not sure I noticed him other than 2 or 3 pointless chipped balls onto the heads of the full backs/centre backs and they dominated possession and he and the others could not get close to them.

Burke 5/10 – Got in for a great chance but showed why he has not scored many goals with a really poor finish. He seemed to take it too soon. He has to get that on target. After this a few touches and runs but it was a bit headless chicken and not sure he saw much of the ball or showed enough when we needed an outlet. He even mis controlled it on the goal we scored. Came off on the hour mark.

McBurnie 5.5/10 – Put himself in for an early foul which annoys me as he often stupidly does this but then put Burke through. He was lively and came short and held it up well when he had it. The game started to be controlled by then and he was in the game less and less. I did feel sorry for him as we never had it but maybe him and Burke had to do more to get in front of their man and hold it up a bit but actually, we never even got it into them or gave them much at all. After 15 minutes the front two were playing off scraps. Even second half I was imploring us to go more direct so he could maybe win a header or hold something as we were never going to go through them but it never happened and he had little impact second half.

Subs –

McGoldrick 5/10 – Thought he was quite poor when he came on. He struggles to get into games as a sub and feel he does not make an impact as needs to be in the game. He lost it a few times and the game was played in midfield or our half. Had one scruffy shot but to me he should have started.

Sharp 6.5/10 – Did more in 20 minutes than the other strikers between them in a lot longer time. He won a free kick, chased things, got amongst them and at least forced them back. Had the effort right at the death and just felt he looked lively. He needs to be starting and is our most effective striker and the one who you think may get us a goal or a chance from something.

Brewster - Came on and had those two shots where he again tried to take the leather out of the ball at the end. Suppose they were going towards goal but he is now maybe our 5th choice striker and the fact even with limited time (due to not being good enough) he has still not scored in 6 months is really poor for someone who cost so much money however you dress it up about service or him being young.

Manager Wilder 5/10 – Thought he got the team wrong. I would have played McGoldrick. I also think Bryan and Lowe was asking for trouble, playing both and so it proved with a horrific mistake. Lowe did better as the game went on but neither are close to Premier League players. If Osborn is fit, he should have started him in my opinion. The subs were ok in when they were made and Sharp did ok but we did not have enough of the ball or put them under enough pressure to create for them. He said after the game we are fighting and did not go out through the back door etc but I felt today it was quite easy for Chelsea. I know they are better with more talented players but not sure we put them under enough pressure outside of the decent 10 minutes at the start. I thought they won at a canter really. I think that he should have changed it tactically to hopefully see us get more of the ball – even as negative as it may have been portrayed but take a forward off for Osborn or put another body in midfield. There were big gaps in midfield and between the defence and midfield and they knocked it around us and made us chase. We needed more legs. Not sure just chucking strikers on as he often does or going 4-4-2 the last 10 is always the answer. Sometimes you have to go more defensive to go more attacking, if you know what I mean? We simply could not get the ball to move up the field and it just carried on right to the end.

Chelesa – Been an odd period for them. Lampard did ok with them last season and maybe surpassed expectations as they had the transfer fan and he got them in the top 4. However, this season with several big money signings (albeit some young) they began well and then trailed off. The expectations and quick turnaround mean any manager not having them challenging especially with the money spent will be under pressure. Lampard knew the score but I did think it was odd really as he had bought players albeit for the future and for them to develop. He could have bought proven players. However, they should have been doing better and the rumours had surfaced for a while he may go. I do think he went there too early and needed to do a few more years with Derby or even a lower Prem club. He had not been a manager long enough to get that gig for me. Not sure where he goes now- maybe he gets a Fulham or West Ham type job at best but may have to go back down the leagues – that is if he wants to remain in football management.

As for Chelsea, Tuchel has done well in Germany and France but another only used to having big money and funds and never managed in the Premier League. Suppose he did ok with Dortmund before PSG. Not sure he will get time either here and I am not sure Abramovich can get that chucking money at it does not always work. There needs to be a long-term plan even with such funds. I actually see City, Liverpool and even Man Utd ahead of them at the moment and whilst they have some decent players – the squad is an odd mix of good young players with ageing players. Not sure there is many players you think wow, like you do at City and Liverpool Ironically, they had them players in De Bruyne and Salah but got rid of them. They probably need to be patient with likes of Werner and Havertz. They have a ridiculous squad with 32 (THIRTY-TWO) players on loan – the wages they must be paying out must be staggering as they will supplant or in some cases still pay the full wages for those – that is on top the existing 24-man squad (+ another 3 under contract) so that makes 59 players counted effectively as professionals!

Today, they were not great to start but grew into the game and Werner and Mount were very good. They dominated possession, remained patient and a goal eventually came. Other than the stupid mistake, they then got another goal and I felt were comfortable. They defended the goal with little fuss after this and it was easy really other than a few late blocks from the Brewster efforts and the save you would expect him to make from Sharp.

Opponent Man of the Match – Werner. Played more as a 10 but was too good with his movement, touch and vision. Mount was decent getting in little pockets. Rudinger stupid goal apart actually made lots of good blocks and clearances!

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was awful but thought Chilwell was quite slow and lucky to get away with the penalty. He went off eventually. Everyone else just did what they had to really.

Referee/Officials – Kevin Friend. His overall performance was fine. He could have booked McBurnie early and then did book Basham for a poor foul. He let some ones got that were fair such as Bogle’s etc. No other bookings all game and not sure we got close enough to get any. It was all too easy. The big calls were right for me. Basham was offside just and was upended but of course the first one is given rightly first for being just offside.

As for the incident for the winner, seen a split amongst United fans, some pundits like Souness felt it was harsh but most have said it was a penalty and most of the time that is given. You see it time after time where a player gets in and knocks it past the keeper (does not really matter where it goes or if his control is rubbish) if he gets there first and there is contact the penalty will be given. Wilder even said he thought it was from his after match interview. If it is the other way we are howling for a penalty.

I think a few will say the Chelsea player fouled him but he had the ball and even if he knocks it too far then the player that had the ball first before the contact (even if somewhat accidental) will always go against the player who did not have the ball. It was clumsy I felt from Ramsdale in the sense he goes to ground and the contact made will go against him as the defensive player. People will say the man ran into him but he puts himself in a position where refs will always give the penalty and VAR agreed. Not sure I agree with Souness on this one. 9/10 times that is a spot kick and the player knows what he is doing and is cute. I am surprised quite a few Blades think it was not a penalty really. If Ramsdale has the ball and gets there then fair enough but the minute a player knocks it past him and there is contact, the defensive players gets penalised. You see it with obstructions where sometimes people say they have nowhere to go but sadly they are given as the original player with the ball gets the call. As Wilder said if we made the stupid mistake so in many ways put ourselves into this awful position. I was surprised he did not even send Ramsdale off as not sure he made any play on the ball or was he anywhere near it and was only going to make contact. The rule is he is not sent off if he does not do it deliberately but not sure what Ramsdale was trying to do as was miles off the ball.

He gave us 5 minutes stoppage time which I thought was more than there should have been but maybe Ramsdale going down accounted for a bit of it and a fair few subs and two goals.

I am not sure we lost the game due to the one decision above however how much it is debated and Chelsea deserved the win and blaming/over analysing this is not the areas we should be looking at personally. I think too many times this season we look for decisions why we have failed to pick up points rather than looking at what we could have done better.

Coverage – Roy Keane who just criticises everything and seems to almost feel angry he has to be there, even for the good games! He did say we completely lacked quality which he was right on. Souness called us Sheffield again. Richards laughed a lot. Not sure they offered anything to a dull game which was a predictable outcome really. The commentators spent all game offering stats and saying again the various ways we have been inept. A new angle would be nice now and again.

Agree with most of this. I did like that we were at least pressing them high up the pitch for most of the game. They didn't have many good chances outside of the goals. I thought we were far better without the ball than with it, where we just coughed it straight back up at the earliest opportunity.

The penalty looked the right decision all round. Rammers can't go with his hands as it is a (woeful) backpass. I don't think he's got a chance of getting there to kick it away, but if he doesn't go out to block the angle Werner gets to control it and hit it from six yards. Ramsdale's dive follows the man, which makes sense if Werner has any intention of scoring himself, which I don't think he does as he just wants to keep the ball away from Ramsdale before being taken out, which is exactly what happens. At the point of contact it isn't a goal scoring chance - Werner is running away from the ball which he's hit straight to Bash, so no card seems correct. It's still a penalty though as Rammers has taken him out without getting the ball.

PS - A bit harsh suggesting Ampadu may have been one of the culprits for not picking up on their first goal!

Many thanks Deadbat for the Report & Podcast. Much appreciated.

You do lose a mark for not spotting that in Chelsea's very first attack Egan stops playing clutching the back of his head from what was seemingly an off the ball clash with Giroud. With Egan seemingly dazed and not active Giroud is able to be involved in setting Werner free on goal & Bash hooks clear.
Before the corner is taken the Ref lectures Giroud & Egan (presumably saying he knew something had happened between but hadn't seen it - Sky didn't look for the incident either) but I guess Egan was pretty angry about it and the Ref was trying to calm him down.

UTB

Thanks for report and pod, and for reminding me I had seen Ghostbusters 2. Better film than its now given credit for.

I felt you were a bit harsh on us. We weren't anywhere near as bad as we were against Spurs IMHO. Aside from Bryan's error (I know, I know) I thought we did ok at the back against a really good team. indeed, I think the reason you were struggling to blame someone for the first goal was that no one was to blame. Just a well worked goal, done at pace.

It did go very flat after an hour, which was disappointing, and you felt they had their foot off the gas, so to speak, but I did not see the gulf in class I saw against Spurs or even City. The challenge is to do better against the West Hams of this world, which we have failed miserably to do this season.

Fleck was my pick for MOTM too, but others had their moments. Nice cameo from Sharp, Bogle did well in flashes. Lowe was better than I expected.

I can't believe people didn't think the Ramsdale challenge wasn't a penalty. And whilst I will never criticise a keeper for failing to save a pen, Ramsdale is so easy to con. Another one like Burke and McBurnie who plays like he's not very bright.

Speaking of which...where you weren't harsh enough is on our dismal front two. If Wilder is saving Sharp and Didzy for Bristol C, it was defensible. If he was trying to win the game, he wants his head examining. Both of them were more or less hopeless tonight after McBurnie's early pass. If you see a striker run onto the ball in the first minute and every single Blades fan watching the game knows he won't hit the target, that's a sign you shouldn't be starting him. Even the goal featured poor work by both of them.

I was disappointed that we didn't get bodies into midfield on loan, but I can understand why Wilder wasn't given any money given the utter shambles of our recent transfer strategy. I agree with Deadbat that it is not fair to ask for more money where it isn't there, but that's not the United trait that's on show here. What we are seeing is the usual story of a new owner who has bought the club but does not have the money to compete with the clubs around us. Only Mike McDonald and Reg Brealey did and that lasted 2 and 3 years respectively. Oh well.

I also think that if we are not up there at Christmas next year (and I don't think we will be) Wilder will be canned.

Agree with most of this. I did like that we were at least pressing them high up the pitch for most of the game. They didn't have many good chances outside of the goals. I thought we were far better without the ball than with it, where we just coughed it straight back up at the earliest opportunity.

The penalty looked the right decision all round. Rammers can't go with his hands as it is a (woeful) backpass. I don't think he's got a chance of getting there to kick it away, but if he doesn't go out to block the angle Werner gets to control it and hit it from six yards. Ramsdale's dive follows the man, which makes sense if Werner has any intention of scoring himself, which I don't think he does as he just wants to keep the ball away from Ramsdale before being taken out, which is exactly what happens. At the point of contact it isn't a goal scoring chance - Werner is running away from the ball which he's hit straight to Bash, so no card seems correct. It's still a penalty though as Rammers has taken him out without getting the ball.

PS - A bit harsh suggesting Ampadu may have been one of the culprits for not picking up on their first goal!

Ampadu! Oops

Thanks for report and pod, and for reminding me I had seen Ghostbusters 2. Better film than its now given credit for.

I felt you were a bit harsh on us. We weren't anywhere near as bad as we were against Spurs IMHO. Aside from Bryan's error (I know, I know) I thought we did ok at the back against a really good team. indeed, I think the reason you were struggling to blame someone for the first goal was that no one was to blame. Just a well worked goal, done at pace.

It did go very flat after an hour, which was disappointing, and you felt they had their foot off the gas, so to speak, but I did not see the gulf in class I saw against Spurs or even City. The challenge is to do better against the West Hams of this world, which we have failed miserably to do this season.

Fleck was my pick for MOTM too, but others had their moments. Nice cameo from Sharp, Bogle did well in flashes. Lowe was better than I expected.

I can't believe people didn't think the Ramsdale challenge wasn't a penalty. And whilst I will never criticise a keeper for failing to save a pen, Ramsdale is so easy to con. Another one like Burke and McBurnie who plays like he's not very bright.

Speaking of which...where you weren't harsh enough is on our dismal front two. If Wilder is saving Sharp and Didzy for Bristol C, it was defensible. If he was trying to win the game, he wants his head examining. Both of them were more or less hopeless tonight after McBurnie's early pass. If you see a striker run onto the ball in the first minute and every single Blades fan watching the game knows he won't hit the target, that's a sign you shouldn't be starting him. Even the goal featured poor work by both of them.

I was disappointed that we didn't get bodies into midfield on loan, but I can understand why Wilder wasn't given any money given the utter shambles of our recent transfer strategy. I agree with Deadbat that it is not fair to ask for more money where it isn't there, but that's not the United trait that's on show here. What we are seeing is the usual story of a new owner who has bought the club but does not have the money to compete with the clubs around us. Only Mike McDonald and Reg Brealey did and that lasted 2 and 3 years respectively. Oh well.

I also think that if we are not up there at Christmas next year (and I don't think we will be) Wilder will be canned.
Yeah, I agree with all that. Back in about November, I said Wilder has until early January to turn it round (but Jan 2022, not this year). Hopefully the prince’s patience will extend that far, given our usual bad start to the season.

The pod is quite boring until a heated discussion on whether Rik Moranis was a Ghostbuster or not. That is the in depth discussion Talk Sport/The Athletic can only dream of dissecting.

50 mins in the argument begins....

I'll listen to the pod at some point today. Can't argue with your reflections on the match and they were just better than us without really having to try (agree with the Spurs parallels). We were pretty abject and as I've said a lot this season, we really can't afford to be putting in 5 or 6 out of 10 performances in. We need 7's 8's and 9's to compete with these teams.

I'm hoping that the spelling or 'Rudinger' is mirrored in the pod with your pronunciation of his name ;)

To be fair, Ampadu was nowhere near any of their fellas all match :):):)

Chelsea are an extremely good team with fire in their belly's after a couple of good wins with their new manager. We were sloppy in some of our play and ultimately errors lead to their second goal, I thought their first goal was just so good to watch the kind of goal/ movement we used to create and score in 18/19 season.

The pod is quite boring until a heated discussion on whether Rik Moranis was a Ghostbuster or not. That is the in depth discussion Talk Sport/The Athletic can only dream of dissecting.

As I remember it (I never listen back, don’t like podcasts), the first 10-15 mins was good too. As is always my advice, ignore the majority of the half hour where we actually talk about the game, and listen to the rest.

I'll listen to the pod at some point today. Can't argue with your reflections on the match and they were just better than us without really having to try (agree with the Spurs parallels). We were pretty abject and as I've said a lot this season, we really can't afford to be putting in 5 or 6 out of 10 performances in. We need 7's 8's and 9's to compete with these teams.

I'm hoping that the spelling or 'Rudinger' is mirrored in the pod with your pronunciation of his name ;)
We didn’t even attempt it. I pronounced Werner differently twice in the space of 5 seconds, so we kept names to a minimum.

We didn’t even attempt it. I pronounced Werner differently twice in the space of 5 seconds, so we kept names to a minimum.
Just listening to the dialogue on GOAT. It's a fucking ridiculously overused social media shitty acronym. Everyone seems to be a goat nowadays, can't someone just be 'good'?!

Fair report DB, I did think Bogle deserved a point over Lowe, but splitting hairs.
I think we have to except that the likes of Rammy, Bogle, Lowe even McBurnie and Burke and Bryan are still on the "young" side so will still be learning as they play, you can expect them to make mistakes, we shouldn't be to harsh on them.

Beaten by a much better team, simple as!

As is often the case DB, you saw things very similarly to me. It really did feel like a game from the first 12 or so games of the season. We just looked like a relegation team who never looked like scoring. I don't think it's a coincidence that we'd gone back to that, when we were scratching around for left sided defensive players again, and McBurnie was up top. It just felt reminiscent of those dark times even when the teamsheet came through.

For me, Burke and McBurnie just doesn't offer enough goal threat, especially when the most creative player is sacrificed. It's just so hard to even imagine where a goal will come from. That combination away at West Brom, when there were chances galore, still haunts me.

After the release of Ghostbusters II, Louis became a semi-regular character on Slimer! And the Real Ghostbusters as the Ghostbusters' legal and financial adviser.

A minute of my life I'll never get back!

Back
Top Bottom