United 1 Bristol City 2 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was another defeat and now three losses out of four for the Blades as late heartache saw Bristol City steal an undeserved win thanks to Aiden Flint’s late goal. After dominating the first half and hitting the woodwork three times, City took the lead thanks to Jamie Paterson’s wonder striker as yet another long-range shot went into the United goal. The Blades got back level thanks to another Leon Clarke goal but a rash John Fleck tackle saw the Blades man sent off. After this United hit the post again but it looked like United had done enough to take a share of the spoils before the late drama. Poor marking and lack of concentration saw Flint steal in at the back post to score. City now are clear of United in third and the Blades could fall to as low as 6th after the weekend games after a really poor run of results. Without two key men in Paul Coutts and John Fleck, the upcoming run of tough away games means it will be a real challenge for Chris Wilder to get United back on track.

United made changes with Simon Moore back in for Jamal Blackman and George Baldock back in the side at right wing back. Chris Basham switched to centre back and there was no place for either Cameron Carter Vickers or David Brooks with Billy Sharp back starting and captaining the side.

United started the game well and an early penalty appeal when Duffy went to ground after a challenge and then Fleck recycled the play soon after but Flint cleared away. United kept coming and a good move saw the ball played over to the left and Duffy hit a stinging drive that was pushed away. City had a rare break and Baker headed wide from a corner. United kept moving the ball around and won a free kick after Duffy was brought down. From the resultant kick, Duffy hit a curling effort that hit the far post with Fielding motionless. The ball was knocked back in the box from Baldock but Clarke headed over under pressure.

Duffy then got in a good position again but his shot was at Fielding. Moore’s long kick then was played inside by Clarke and Sharp hit a rising drive that clipped the bar. United ill fortune continued when Sharp hit the post again soon after. From a Fleck corner, Sharp headed goalward and Fielding pushed the ball onto the bar and the visitors scrambled clear.

United had been very unfortunate not to lead and some incisive football and good chances had not led to the opening goal but against the run of play; Stevens missed his tackle and brought down his man but the ball fell into PATERSON. The winger drifted inside past O’Connell and hit a swerving shot that flew into the goal stunning the home crowd. Stevens was booked for his original foul. The half time whistle came not long after leaving many bewildered by the score line.

The second half saw United Push City back from the start and Sharp won an early free kick before the leveller came. Lundstram pushed the ball forward down the right-hand side and CLARKE drove forward before smashing the ball past Fielding with his right foot. A deserved equaliser and another goal for the man in form.

After this United came again and Duffy hit a superb swerving shot that hit the post and came out but Sharp took too long to react and his shot was blocked by the face of Flint. Basham then piled forward and Clarke had a shot blocked. It seemed the home side were in complete control but the game turned on the hour mark.

The ball was loose on half way and Fleck went in dangerously on Smith with both feet up and high. The City man was in some pain and the red card was the right decision.

United did try and keep attacking with Baldock having a shot blocked and Clarke also coming close. City had brought on an extra attacker in Taylor but United also went for it with Brooks and Donaldson on for Duffy and Sharp. City had a chance with a deflected effort that went past the post and then after a mistake by Stearman, City broke and Moore made a great reaction save to deny Taylor and the home side hacked away the rebound.

Despite having 10 men United were still well in the game as it entered the final stages and Carruthers had a chance but took too long and Wright made a timely tackle. This was crucial as after the corner was cleared, the visitors broke up the other end. Carruthers brought down Reid but his cross was perfectly played and the advantage was played and no one was marking FLINT who swept home expertly just as the additional five minutes of extra time was announced. It was a cruel blow for United who had looked the better side for long spells and been very unfortunate not to score more goal.

The stoppage time saw more frustration with a number of fouls not going the way of the home side and despite several balls pumped forward City held on without a further chance and the reaction of the respective sets of players at the end showed the contrasting emotions from the game. United’s fans applauded off the players for a good performance; albeit in a losing effort.

United – Felt for United tonight. We were poor at Millwall and got beat deservedly. We lost battles, did not play much football and created little. Tonight, we played some good stuff, knocked it about and competed all over the field (maybe too much – 2 or 3 poor tackles and the red card). On another day we win the game and maybe would have been 2 o 3 up at half time. Even at 1-1 you sensed there was only one winner but ill discipline from Fleck cost us the game. I felt at 1-1 with 10 men, they did not cause us too many problems and you felt either side could win it but I am not sure the changes to the side and how we approached it was that wise. We had men all over the place on the winner and nobody marking as got badly exposed on both sides of the box for the cross and the winner. Easy to say on reflection as of course we could easily go up the other end and win I suppose but it has happened quite a bit recently and when we are on a bad run, just taking a point is not always that bad. Now we have lost another and confidence takes a further big knock. As well as we played tonight; we lost. We let in two more poor goals, did not score when on top and rely on Clarke again too much. We have to be more clinical at both ends. Our domination with the ball and clever football ultimately has meant nothing in the last three home games with just one point coming. People will feel the bubble has well and truly burst and the results suggest it may have even if performances have not been that bad. Still for all the plaudits we can give United and wretched luck we had we are not helping ourselves in games and sadly becoming a bit of a soft touch again.

We are conceding lots of long range goals but that is what happens at this higher level. We sadly rarely even shoot from this far out (Duffy had a couple of great efforts tonight mind) and try and walk it in. We need to shoot more and vary how we attack. At times it is too slow the build-up and sadly teams that break fast and make quicker decisions get better chances. We have seen this numerous times over last few weeks despite us playing some really good football. It is great but often lacks thrust or the final ball. It is not pretty but not efficient football when it matters. Still, 2 or 3 of those that hit the post go in and we have a different conversation. It is fine lines.

They have to give Wilder some money in January now as the squad is badly stretched now and we have seen we do not have the depth. A few Wednesday fans said as much as I mocked them that if we got a few injuries we would tail off and we have with Coutts and Baldock missing. Sadly, the lads that have come in such as Lundstram, Stearman, Donaldson, Carruthers for others; have seen not hit same levels for me. We need to invest in some pace and athleticism and some goals from other players. We will have to battle on the two tough away games but with our best two players missing it is going to be tough and the midfield will be a bit of a hotch potch now. I would take a couple of scrappy 0-0 draws to stop the rot. Going to be a tricky few weeks now and sure everyone outside of SUFC will write us off and see us mid table now come the end of the season. I have to say Wilder has a big challenges to arrest the slide but I worry if we have the players to replace the key ones missing to keep us in touch. If we are still in the top 6 by the time the Sheffield Derby comes around we will have done well.

Bristol City – They won and will say what a great away victory and how they scored two good goals and dug in etc, etc. Reality is they were not that great I felt and nowhere near what I expected. First half we should have put the game away and then they scored a really good goal. We got level and there was only one winner. Our fault we gave them a lifeline as at 1-1 they were hanging on. After this they had a couple of chances but hardly blew us away and even for spells with ten men we were as good if not better. I felt they looked quite poor and tossed ball away a lot. They got a late winner. It was an incredibly fortunate win. Sure, we helped them massively but to see the keeper watch three shots hit the woodwork and not be anywhere near them (saved one other really well). They won’t have many other games where the other team hit the woodwork four times and whatever the final score says and the manager may say; it was a total smash and grab win. A sickening defeat for the better side really. They will say it is about what happens in both boxes but even outside of these areas I felt we played the better stuff.

On that evidence I am not sure they will threaten the front two at all. On another day they would have gone home losing the game fairly comfortably. Normally I will temper my critique of a game and look for strengths and things they did well. They scored a late winner and got the three points but over the game United were better tonight. Means nothing of course

Opposition Man of the Match: The two scorers were probably the best two players. Paterson scored a great goal and always looked a threat and then Flint who got his body in the way coolly took the winner as many stopped. The keeper made a few good saves including a superb one from Sharp. Outside of this a few decent players but felt they conceded a lot of the ball and even v 10 men they did not really do enough to hurt us.

Opposition Weak link: DJ uric was an absolute donkey. He fouled, grabbed, miskicked and looked like he had never played football in his life. The lad he replaced Eliasson was poor also. They did not have any really good or really bad players. Lot of ok footballers but I felt we controlled the game for long spells but did not get goals we deserved.

Moore 6.5/10 – Tin hat time: I felt he was a bit slow on the goal. A great strike but it did not go in the corner and did not move his feet. He may not have got it but he got nowhere near it. May get called for that but Blackman has been panned for goals like that going in also. I have watched back and now realise it was a very good shot but as I say Blackman has been dropped for letting in a lot of goals like that. He made a couple of decent kicks that set us on the attack but he also made some dreadful ones kicking two out and a few to no one. He came and missed a cross near the end but made a great reaction save at 1-1. Took a few crosses but did not look totally convincing. Today with the goals going in again shows it is not really the keeper. Think Blackman is unlucky to lose his place.

Baldock 7/10 – Nice to have him back. A few rusty moments but he at least gave us more of a threat down the right hand side. He did not always keep the ball as well as he can and a few times got stretched when it went to 10 men but he gives us something different down that side.

Stevens 6/10 – Think he has had a real dip recently. Did not get forward as much as he has done but when he did he put a few ok crosses in today. However, defensively he was rash on the goal and that cost us, mistiming his tackle completely and then on the winner switched off (him and O’Connell) and was too busy looking for offside. Just become a bit sloppy with his marking and basic defending and needs to sharpen up.

O’Connell 6.5/10 – I think he also has had a dip. Did some good things on the ball and got forward when he could to support but on the first goal he just let him step inside him and barely put a tackle in. Second half he was fine defensively but he too was ball watching on the winner. They had a few at the back post unmarked. We need to cut out the goals we are conceding and at the moment the opponents are scoring too easily.

Basham 7/10 – Another game performance where he ran and ran. Defensively fine and was able to do the basics. On the goal could he have got out to Paterson? I felt O’Connell was more at fault as let him come inside. Got forward a lot and made some surging runs. Often quality is lacking when he gets into the final third and seems to be a bit headless chicken. He does really well and then seems to not know what to do. He ended up in midfield but then was taken off which was odd for me as we needed him on to help keep our shape and cover in front of back four.

Stearman 6.5/10 – He did ok for spells of the game and stepped out of defence when he could and actually defensively for most of the game he was decent but he made a few mistakes. Nearly cost us when he gave it away on the chance when Moore made the save and then on the goal he was the one ball watching and did not either go with his man or step out; playing them onside. So as ok as he did, was guilty of some errors. On the ball was fine apart from that one giveaway and even got forward a bit with a few runs and crosses and one shot.

Lundstram 7/10 – He did ok without anything massively influential. He gave it away a few times early on but got better and made some nice interceptions and even ran forward with the ball too. He was getting stronger as we took control but then the Fleck sending off changed way he played and he had to sit more. He is improving and getting fitter but needs to be more careful with the ball and at times for a big lad gets beat a bit easy in 50/50. Still showed some neat touches and passes; short and long and encouraging performance.

Fleck 3/10 – First half he was ok with some decent balls and interceptions but maybe not as influential as he has been but he was alright. Second half he snapped at tackles and helped us turn them round a few times but then a ridiculous tackle saw him rightly sent off. Fortunate not to seriously hurt Smith the lad with a high and wild lunge with boot feet. Moronic and cost us the game. Been great for United but Wilder will be fuming with him. With Coutts out has to show better discipline. No need as it was middle of the field and they were going nowhere. We had complete control of the game. Now out until after Xmas and we have two big holes in midfield.

Duffy 8/10 – Our best player and main threat. Linked the defence and attack; got on the ball and looked the best midfielder on the field by a long way. Some lovely touches and runs; hit the post with two superb efforts and involved in everything good we did. Did give away a few balls that set them off on the attack but that will happen as he is always trying things. Needs to shoot more for me as the efforts proved. Lot of pressure on him with Coutts and now Fleck out.

Sharp 6.5/10 – He had one good shot that clipped top of the bar and then for me should have buried that close-range header. Took too long to react to the one Duffy hit the post with second half. He won a few fouls and held it up a few times but overall, I felt he was a bit slow and too slow to react to things. He lost it a few times as he was not strong enough. Surprised he did not come off for Brooks but was left on for a period. Not scoring at the moment and when he does not score; not sure what he brings really.

Clarke 7.5/10 – Thought he started the game slowly and at times he was second to the ball. Missed a few decent headed chances but then laid off for Sharp to hit post and also had a few other strong hold ups. He improved even more after the break; scoring a great strike and running the channels. Always looked a threat but needs some help. Felt he was ploughing a lone furrow.

Subs:

Brooks – He never got in the game at all. Barely touched the ball and got outmuscled a few times and then ran it out after good work from Basham. Seems to believing some of the hype as he needs to go back to basics and put a shift in and then ability will take over. He barely got his kit dirty tonight. Admittedly difficult as he saw little of the ball but has to do the other aspects of the game.

Donaldson – Odd move to bring him on. He chased a few long balls but he never really made much of an impact. Does not seem to have pace he once had Flint outran him twice when ball went over the top. We needed maximum effort when he came on with us having 10 but kind of jogged around.

Carruthers – His contribution in 4 minutes of normal time and then stoppage time was totally unacceptable for me. Sure, he had a few nice touches but he was totally ill-disciplined. He came on and took forever on the first touch and lost it and they nearly got in. He then lost it again soon after taking an age to do anything. Then he had a great chance when he ran down the line and took forever and the big slow centre back gave him 20 yards and still got back to make a challenge. He then took forever to close down Reid and wildly hacked him down as he cantered for the goal. After this he got on the ball but took forever to do anything even in stoppage time needing 5 or 6 touches and pirouettes. Seen enough of him now and one that needs moving on in January. He thinks he is far better than he is. He should be busting a good when he comes on but he was a liability yet again. A lower league player sadly and one we need to jettison.

Manager: Wilder 6/10 – I am going to criticise him a bit tonight. We played great and started the game well. We fought back and showed real grit and got to 1-1 and then look likely winner. Not his fault we lose Fleck. Not sure his changes helped us. The Donaldson and Carruthers moves were odd. Brooks also seemed a logical move but did nothing. I felt we lost our shape and became a bit ragged. The winning goal came as we had big gaps (not because of 10) down the right-hand side with Carruthers going missing yet again. Sometimes, we have to accept a point may not have been bad. Yes, admire he wants to go for a win but we have lost 8 games now and that is as many as some right down near the bottom. A point is not always a bad result and tonight we had a real go even at 10 but I think fans would have accepted just some solid play and nothing daft. It was a bit kamikaze and it was the same last week v Millwall. It may work in League One but on the break with teams at this level you get punished. We need to keep some organisation and shape and at times we have been a bit Championship Manager. We need to evolve the higher up and the better teams we play. This basketball type approach will only get us so far, I feel and we need to be able to play different ways at times too. I am sure I will get criticised for these comments but I am being honest. We have to be a bit cuter and more professional at times. His changes worked to a degree as Sharp nearly scored two and Baldock did well. Still question marks over whether Moore is better than Blackman though.

Officials – A lot will criticise the referee and Wilder slammed him but if you take a step away; he did not get many of the big things wrong. The red card was a red card all day long and a bad tackle. For both goals we scythed men down and he played two good advantages. You could argue we got our just desserts for two really poor tackles. The winner was also onside as our players got caught ball watching. What I will say is a lot of the niggly stuff he missed. The big lad who came on must have committed about 7 or 8 clear fouls and was so dirty. He was lucky to survive. They kicked Duffy numerous times too. He missed a few things such as the foot up not long before the winner and I just felt was a bit inconsistent. He gave a push off for Baldock near the end when a few minutes earlier Carruthers had taken a hand to the face. Incredibly inconsistent. He seemed to not know what was going on at times but again can you say he got the big things wrong? Wilder’s comments after the game were a bit over the top and came across a bit of a sore loser in terms of questioning referee. I think the result and way we lost was just a bit raw.

Crowd – Down on normal numbers with the weather, Sky and also being just before Xmas having an impact but Bristol City also brought lowest amount to the Lane of any team (400-450 tops which I am not sure we have taken such a low number anywhere for a long, long time, TV/Friday night or not) which was a surprise as they are doing so well. Crowd tried to lift us and you knew they realised we were unlucky to be behind. At 1-1 they sensed the win but the red card changed things.

Thought it was really poor booing the lad who was down. Imagine if Burton fans had done the same to Coutts? He was really hurt. Some near me saying he was milking it and faking it when he went off. Give it a rest.

Still despite this criticism, most of the fans kept behind the side and everything seemed to go against us tonight. Despite some blaming the ref etc, the sensible ones know it was just another one of those days. We have had a few recently and the luck has turned somewhat.

Fans have to keep the faith. To be in top 6 at this stage is superb despite the run but fear it could be a tricky time up to Xmas. We need to really hope the board properly back Wilder in January. I am not sure he can get much more out of what he has available and despite some criticism of how he went about things at the end; this approach has seen us do fantastically well. We need more quality now to add to the tremendous work ethic and some decent players we already have.

Good stuff that DB.

Just one point of order - you say great goals will happen at this higher level, but tonight’s was truly freakish. He was under challenge but still hit an absolutely wicked screamer. It was a one in twenty strike at most. If we restrict opponents to that sort of chance then we’re doing very well.

Good stuff that DB.

Just one point of order - you say great goals will happen at this higher level, but tonight’s was truly freakish. He was under challenge but still hit an absolutely wicked screamer. It was a one in twenty strike at most. If we restrict opponents to that sort of chance then we’re doing very well.

But Hull scored one.... Burton scored one....need I go on. We do not shoot from that distance and if we do it balloons miles over (duffy exception tonight). I love out midfield but they have scored what 3 goals between them all season? Duffy 1, Coutts 1 and Fleck 1 is it (and 2 were in one game - yes, what a game though). For the quality those 3 have they need to score more. If Clarke's goal dry up tha worries me.

But Hull scored one.... Burton scored one....need I go on. We do not shoot from that distance and if we do it balloons miles over (duffy exception tonight). I love out midfield but they have scored what 3 goals between them all season? Duffy 1, Coutts 1 and Fleck 1 is it (and 2 were in one game - yes, what a game though). For the quality those 3 have they need to score more. If Clarke's goal dry up tha worries me.

We could have prevented Brum's goal, but the others? Is there something systematically wrong that enabled them? I don't see it.

How does Billy get 6.5 ? Does he get 5 for being captain ?
Useless again tonight.
put the header either side of the keeper or down to ground and its in.
Lost every battle.
Slow to react.
Wrong decisions.
Totally out of form but plays coz he's captain blade.

We could have prevented Brum's goal, but the others? Is there something systematically wrong that enabled them? I don't see it.

O'Connell just left him run inside. It was pathetic defending. So yes. Even Sky mentioned that. What was he doing?

Ditto for Hull. Ran inside with no challenge

How does Billy get 6.5 ? Does he get 5 for being captain ?
Useless again tonight.
put the header either side of the keeper or down to ground and its in.
Lost every battle.
Slow to react.
Wrong decisions.
Totally out of form but plays coz he's captain blade.
O'Connell just left him run inside. It was pathetic defending. So yrs!

He played as Brooks was awful at Millwall (goal apart). Not sure he would play Donaldson with Clarke as not worked before. I think Wilder knows a quick, mobile striker to play with Clarke is a priority in January along with the midfielder. Sharp will play bit parts and start some games but as you say if he does not score his play on and off the ball at this level I am not sure he does enough. He is too slow and too weak. He has to bury chances he gets or his lack of contribution shows. I did not think he hid tonight though and the effort he had were decent. As you say heads down it goes in but was being held as he put header in. Second half he needs to do more though and Clarke having to do everything at times up top.

Thought we were ok tonight, Leon was great, how cool is he on the ball. Unlucky tonight with so many shots hitting the woodwork. First time I’ve seen Stearman and he can play a bit. Lundstrom was solid without being Coutts. Moore’s kicking shows what we have been missing as he was accurate at picking out Clarke’s runs several times. Looks and feels more at ease with his place in Wilders system but I think that Blackman is equally as good between the sticks, I’m comfortable with either keeper.

I thought United were unlucky tonight and was quite disappointed with Bristol actually, didn’t offer anything better than what we’ve already seen at the Lane.

Result disappointing and undeserved, performance ok. Not sure I can bring myself to be as down on Fleck as Deadbat is, how many mistakes as he made this season, maybe Forest away.

Nice to see Baldock back and good performance from Bash

Cheers mate, and your marks are generally agreeable.

Coupla things:

Think the red card was anything but. Sure it was a 'committed tackle' and was a foul, but out of that, the bloke was taken off yet seemed pretty untroubled by his 'injury' later when the camera were on him in the dugout (surely if it was that bad, he'd be in Sheffield Hallamshire having an immediate scan) and the challenge wasn't all 'studs up'. I've seen worse tackles overlooked and given Sordell basically ended Coutts's season and got away with it, I'd say it was lone chat/'next time I blow up, this yellow card gets another if it is you, now fuck off and behave'.

I think United played well tonight. Good passing and movement, but I am troubled with the subs - particularly Donaldson who isn't really at the game much for me and Carruthers who is frankly poor. That said, I think the tackle on him in the area took man and ball out of play. Another one for the ref.

All to do now that automatic is slipping from our reach and teams smell blood now they have sussed our playing methods and do (like BC did tonight by 'playing the gap') find ways to win despite our apparent dominance.

pommpey

Yep. Its called closing down. Forces the ball player out wide or backwards.

pommpey

Cheers mate, and your marks are generally agreeable.

Coupla things:

Think the red card was anything but. Sure it was a 'committed tackle' and was a foul, but out of that, the bloke was taken off yet seemed pretty untroubled by his 'injury' later when the camera were on him in the dugout (surely if it was that bad, he'd be in Sheffield Hallamshire having an immediate scan) and the challenge wasn't all 'studs up'. I've seen worse tackles overlooked and given Sordell basically ended Coutts's season and got away with it, I'd say it was lone chat/'next time I blow up, this yellow card gets another if it is you, now fuck off and behave'.

I think United played well tonight. Good passing and movement, but I am troubled with the subs - particularly Donaldson who isn't really at the game much for me and Carruthers who is frankly poor. That said, I think the tackle on him in the area took man and ball out of play. Another one for the ref.

All to do now that automatic is slipping from our reach and teams smell blood now they have sussed our playing methods and do (like BC did tonight by 'playing the gap') find ways to win despite our apparent dominance.

pommpey

I am surprised many United fans do not see it as a red and think a touch of bias there. In the 80s it would not have even been a foul. Whether we like it or not you leave yor feet and go in with both feet off the ground and the refs are instructed to give red cards. This was an easy decision as Sky acknoweledged. I think 9/10 refs would have sent him off sadly.

Agree on subs. Carruthers is too slow. Two moments involving him cost us the game as much as Flecks' madness. The run where he had a chance and was slow to react to the ball and then got it and overplayed it and the defender got in. If he was a bit quicker and surer; then he could have drew a penalty or set up a winner. It was sloppy.

Then after Baldock half clears, freeze it and watch. Carruthers is 60-40 and I am being generous to the Bristol City man. The lad Reid reacts and shows more desire. Carruthers rashly knocks him over. He either should get the ball first or get his body in the way. He does niether and it ends up going in the box and in our net. Total crap twice. He had already given it away twice before these moments. One of the poorest and most ill disciplined 7 or 8 minute cameos I have ever seen and shows he is miles off being a first team regular at this level.

Well, I see it slightly differently. Up to the sending off, I thought it was a much better performance than we've seen in recent weeks. The defence looked better and we made chances. Contrast Birmingham where we created very little.

We hit the woodwork 4 times, with the keeper nowhere for 3 of them. They had 3 serious goal attempts: the usual long range goal (of which more below), a deflected shot which Moore made a great save from, and the winner which he took well...from a cross which was partially deflected and could have gone anywhere. Reid was appalling and that fluke was the assist that won the game.

We weren't as good as we were earlier in the season but In my view we were extremely unlucky not to win that game.

Sharp is getting a lot of stick for some reason but he came really close to scoring twice. Should have buried that header? I'm not so sure. It was a hard cross to reach and he was being challenged and the keeper still made a great save. Besides, what is the alternative? Not Brooks on the evidence of the last 2 games. Donaldson? I'm unconvinced.

Basham MOTM for me. Busy all over the park. Clarke was good again.

I would fault Moore for the goal. The guy was 20 yards out and yet Moore was outside his 6 yard box. Terrible positioning. If he's further back that's an easy save.

And I'm sorry, but that ball was there for the taking, and Fleck took it. Not a red for me. Compare that to the one the guy at Leeds was only booked for. Appalling decision.

They are well organised but if we held forwards like that we'd be getting free kicks against us every 30 seconds. They showed nothing at all up front.

So annoying to lose that game.

Well, I see it slightly differently. Up to the sending off, I thought it was a much better performance than we've seen in recent weeks. The defence looked better and we made chances. Contrast Birmingham where we created very little.

We hit the woodwork 4 times, with the keeper nowhere for 3 of them. They had 3 serious goal attempts: the usual long range goal (of which more below), a deflected shot which Moore made a great save from, and the winner which he took well...from a cross which was partially deflected and could have gone anywhere. Reid was appalling and that fluke was the assist that won the game.

We weren't as good as we were earlier in the season but In my view we were extremely unlucky not to win that game.

Sharp is getting a lot of stick for some reason but he came really close to scoring twice. Should have buried that header? I'm not so sure. It was a hard cross to reach and he was being challenged and the keeper still made a great save. Besides, what is the alternative? Not Brooks on the evidence of the last 2 games. Donaldson? I'm unconvinced.

Basham MOTM for me. Busy all over the park. Clarke was good again.

I would fault Moore for the goal. The guy was 20 yards out and yet Moore was outside his 6 yard box. Terrible positioning. If he's further back that's an easy save.

And I'm sorry, but that ball was there for the taking, and Fleck took it. Not a red for me. Compare that to the one the guy at Leeds was only booked for. Appalling decision.

They are well organised but if we held forwards like that we'd be getting free kicks against us every 30 seconds. They showed nothing at all up front.

So annoying to lose that game.

If that was a red, they must all be Nancy boys . HE got the fuckin ball He was first to the fuckin ball . If this is what things have come to We should book to see Bambi on ice

I am surprised many United fans do not see it as a red and think a touch of bias there. In the 80s it would not have even been a foul. Whether we like it or not you leave yor feet and go in with both feet off the ground and the refs are instructed to give red cards. This was an easy decision as Sky acknoweledged. I think 9/10 refs would have sent him off sadly.

Agree on subs. Carruthers is too slow. Two moments involving him cost us the game as much as Flecks' madness. The run where he had a chance and was slow to react to the ball and then got it and overplayed it and the defender got in. If he was a bit quicker and surer; then he could have drew a penalty or set up a winner. It was sloppy.

Then after Baldock half clears, freeze it and watch. Carruthers is 60-40 and I am being generous to the Bristol City man. The lad Reid reacts and shows more desire. Carruthers rashly knocks him over. He either should get the ball first or get his body in the way. He does niether and it ends up going in the box and in our net. Total crap twice. He had already given it away twice before these moments. One of the poorest and most ill disciplined 7 or 8 minute cameos I have ever seen and shows he is miles off being a first team regular at this level.

Sadly, a sending off any day of the week, let's hope he learns because we're going to miss him. Picture of the Fleck challenge on the BBC report http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42190828

For those of you saying it wasn’t a red, and don’t be offended, but you don’t know the rules.

If a guy tackles with both feet off the floor, the player is deemed not to be in control, it’s regarded as dangerous and refs are instructed to issue a red card.

The guy at Leeds also should have got a red but the ref bottled it or didn’t have a clear view.

Now you can argue in years gone by it might not be a red or that football has got softer but as at now that is the rule.

As I posted on another thread, it is also a rule that a high foot is a foul and the ref missed that on the winner.

That’s just an example of lady luck being elsewhere at the moment.

But Fleck, it fulfills all the criteria to merit a red under current rules chaps.

Another great report DB and a good performance. Agree on Carruthers. If he hadn’t stopped running when he got put through, the defender would have been sliding in for a pen or he would have been through on goal.

For those of you saying it wasn’t a red, and don’t be offended, but you don’t know the rules.

If a guy tackles with both feet off the floor, the player is deemed not to be in control, it’s regarded as dangerous and refs are instructed to issue a red card.

The guy at Leeds also should have got a red but the ref bottled it or didn’t have a clear view.

Now you can argue in years gone by it might not be a red or that football has got softer but as at now that is the rule.

As I posted on another thread, it is also a rule that a high foot is a foul and the ref missed that on the winner.

That’s just an example of lady luck being elsewhere at the moment.

But Fleck, it fulfills all the criteria to merit a red under current rules chaps.

Another great report DB and a good performance. Agree on Carruthers. If he hadn’t stopped running when he got put through, the defender would have been sliding in for a pen or he would have been through on goal.

^^^^^ - This. I couldn’t have put it any better.
We can’t argue when the ref gets it right - as much as it might hurt.
What irks is that refs “miss” similar/worse challenges or are just inconsistent in applying the rules when they do see them.

O'Connell just left him run inside. It was pathetic defending. So yes. Even Sky mentioned that. What was he doing?

Nice one Deadbat.

Certainly was very poor from O'Connell for their goal. Disagree that Moore could do anything to stop it though!

A red for me too and I thought booing the Bristol City lad and shouting "Cheat!" at him showed a lack of class.

Re Carruthers, I think he is trying so hard to impress during his limited time on the pitch that it has adversely affected his decision-making. A case in point being when he lost the ball near our dug-out when there was a simple pass on.

Yep. Its called closing down. Forces the ball player out wide or backwards.

pommpey

Bristol's player was under pressure. Granted Burton's wasn't, but I defy him to do that more than a couple of times in his career. And Brum's wasn't at all, I'll grant.

Overall I'm still not convinced we could work much harder.

If you go into a tackle with both feet off the floor and diving in and catch the other player it is a red card all day long, so correct decision for me.
I would have settled for a draw with 10 men and not brought on Donaldson, but then saying that I was quite disappointed with how they played and I suppose equally we could have nicked it.
Just need to re group and go again, lots of big games coming up, definitely need a decent midfield player and pacy quality forward in January if we have any asperations of finishing in the top 6, if we don't strengthen can see us finishing mid table
I am still enjoying massively every game, highly entertaining and edge of your seat to watch, after the last 6 years I now look forward to the next match, going to be a roller coaster season for sure

Good report again DB,and agree it was a sending off for me,but no intent to hurt the lad from Fleck...he just tried to win the ball for me...a committed challenge.
Your marks were about right,but a 3 for Fleck seems harsh..I know your blaming him for the sending off,but he was immense upto that point,and he didn't intend to go in 2 footed with his feet off the ground for me...he was having to make up a bit to much ground and overstretching.
If he has gone in to do the lad,then fair enough,he would deserve pelters.

Thanks Dbat. Great report, maybe best ever.

On the ratings I disagree about the referee as I thought he was a ball watcher, never gave one of the many fouls by centre backs in the back of strikers, only gave fouls if the player toppled pole-axed down and almost invited Flecks tackle which came after 15 minutes of frustration and anger about seriously foul play by Bristol who came out for the second half fighting us the only way they could stop us, totally different from the spirit the first half was played in. The ref flitted around the periphery of it all. He also missed that penalty first minute.

Have referees stopped giving fouls by defenders in the back of strikers? Also do they give any fouls if the player doesnt exaggerate the contact?

The substitutions were bizarre Im afraid but who are we to question the Messiah? Seriously I could not be more delighted with our team perfomance last night and pinch myself every game that we have come so far so soon.

If Wilder wants to blast the ref, have a tussle with their manager and go a bit too adventurous with his subs, its fine by me!!

Fine words deadbat as always. When I see these long range goals at the game or on TV I'm shouting "force him onto his weaker foot" but we don't and give them the freedom to twat it. Their first last night for example which looked like a goal before he even hit it, sat up nicely just where a right footer wants it, our fault.

Great report as always dedbat
100% agree regards the sub's , brooks and curruthers have to do a hell of lot more , both were very careless and lacked effort and composure for me especially when we are down to 10 men

With fleck now out Caruthers may have got his chance but can't see it now, think he will bring bash to midfield and wright into CB

O'Connell - Whilst Stevens has gone off the boil a bit (although I thought he was better last night than previous week), I'm a bit more concerned about O'Connell. He's been sloppy of late and really seems to lack concentration (losing Flint on every corner, for instance). For me, he really needs to get his head down and work on the basics. His defensive side has definitely dropped below the standards we've come to expect. Needs to up his tackling, marking etc.

Samir - He needs to go in January for me. He seems more interested in looking good than playing football. Showpony. I'd be half tempted, if I was Wilder, to throw him in for Fleck and give him an ultimatum. Show me you can play for the team or you're off to League 1 in January. He was disgraceful at times when he came on. So slow, ball flies off him, more interested in putting on a show than actually working for the team.

Donaldson - I can see why he was brought on for Sharp, in theory. He's another big lad so handy at defending corners/free-kicks. By keeping two lads on upfront who can head a ball it meant we weren't penned into our half (until the last 5 minutes). He looks unfit and overweight to me though. How long did we sign him for? One for me who, unless he pulls his socks up, can go in January.

Billy - He did some good stuff and kept trying to do the right thing but he made a lot of poor small decisions last night. I think we're much more of a threat with him and Clarke on at the moment though and they do seem to have developed a much better understanding. Neither striker got a great deal of service, in all honesty, though.

He played as Brooks was awful at Millwall (goal apart). Not sure he would play Donaldson with Clarke as not worked before. I think Wilder knows a quick, mobile striker to play with Clarke is a priority in January along with the midfielder. Sharp will play bit parts and start some games but as you say if he does not score his play on and off the ball at this level I am not sure he does enough. He is too slow and too weak. He has to bury chances he gets or his lack of contribution shows. I did not think he hid tonight though and the effort he had were decent. As you say heads down it goes in but was being held as he put header in. Second half he needs to do more though and Clarke having to do everything at times up top.

Very generous mark for Sharp, mate. He’ll get a four or five from me in the ratings. We are firing on one (very powerful) cylinder up front. Leon’s finishing and work rate are way above the captain’s. The first can be a transient thing. Sharp needs to address the second.

To be fair to Sharp he was unlucky with the shot that hit the bar and I don't see how he can be criticised on the header the keeper knocked onto the bar (great save) the defender was pulling Billy back with both hands hanging onto his arm. Billy did well to even get a header on target, for me if it is saved or misses then it was a clear penalty. His third real chance yes a bit slow to react or just wrong footed when Duffy's shot comes back off the post. For those wanting Brooks to take his place what has he done in the last half dozen games apart from the goal at Millwall he has been equally poor.
A mark of 3 for Fleck ................ Seriously ?

Basham 7/10 – Another game performance where he ran and ran. Defensively fine and was able to do the basics. On the goal could he have got out to Paterson? I felt O’Connell was more at fault as let him come inside. Got forward a lot and made some surging runs. Often quality is lacking when he gets into the final third and seems to be a bit headless chicken. He does really well and then seems to not know what to do. He ended up in midfield but then was taken off which was odd for me as we needed him on to help keep our shape and cover in front of back four.

Basham had an injury and he signaled to the bench that he was struggling to carry on

Back
Top Bottom