United 1 Arsenal 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Report below…..sorry for delay - got in late after a beer and then work stopped me doing it till now!

Post match podcast here also…..

---

It was one of those special nights under the lights at the famous old ground as United beat Arsenal at Bramall Lane. A performance full of passion, courage, organisation and skill saw the Blades more than hold their own in the first half and Lys Mousset’s goal after Jack O’Connell’s header back at a corner gave the home side the lead. The second half United had to defend but limited Arsenal to very few chances with a real togetherness as the crowd willed them on to a famous victory. At full time Bramall Lane was a cacophony of noise as the players celebrated in front of the jubilant fans packed into all four sides. One of those occasions where you walk away and can stick your chest out and reall say you are proud to be a Blade!

With the light show complete and the fan fare that Sky TV brings, Wilder made two changes to his starting line up and it was both up front with McGoldrick and Mousset starting in place of McBurnie and Robinson. Olly McBurnie was on the bench despite being in the news for the wrong reasons earlier in the day.

Arsenal featured a wealth of attacking talent with 72 million pound signing Pepe up the top of the pitch with Aubameyang and Lacazette on the bench. Before the game there were videos of United’s win 12 years ago over Arsenal with a young Frenchman Christian Nade’s goal being shown. How ironic this proved to be with what transpired 90 minutes later.

United started the game with a real purpose and a lot of neat work down the left with Stevens, O’Connell and McGoldrick involved saw United win two early corners that were both cleared. The speed of Arsenal on the turnover and counter attack was clear with some neat work by Pepe having to be held up by Egan. United were passing the ball when they could but had to be wary to the pace of the Gunners but stayed organised and composed.

United were getting it forward when they could and Mousset and McGoldrick were already seeing more of the ball than their striking counterparts in previous games. Fleck was booked for a late tackle where the Arsenal man just got to the ball before him with Aubameyang going down. A corner saw Sokratis claim his shirt was being held and McGoldrick may have been fortunate that it was not seen but as we have seen with VAR it has to be something clear and obvious for them to reconsider and especially if the referee does not give it.

A swift break after United lost the ball high up the field saw two great passes cut United open with Xhaka playing in Kolasinac and his cross was superb but Pepe skewed the chance wide. It was right in front of goal and a very good chance missed. This let off saw United come back out and try and force Arsenal back and they had a few more passing moves with Lundstram and Norwood industrious in the centre but using the ball well. One such move nearly saw Baldock in and then Stevens nearly found a chink of light down the left. United won a corner after one move ricocheted out and from it they took the lead.

Norwood’s delivery was to the back post and O’Connell met it on the full and headed across and MOUSSET turned home unmarked to lift the roof off at the Lane! There was no question of this goal being VAR’ed and the players mobbed the young French striker who scored his first goal at home.

The crowd were now pumped up and United were roaring into every tackle and Arsenal started to get frustrated but they had a chance when the ball came across and Saka went down. The ground held its breath as Mike Dean blew his whistle but he adjudged it to be a dive and booked the record transfer. O’Connell then cynically brought his man down as Arsenal broke and he was also booked. Just before half time as the balls at up Xhaka hit a half volley that dipped but Henderson sprang to his left and pushed the ball away. It was a save you would expect him to make but still a good one. Not long after the half time whistle came and the Blades fans applauded a great first half effort.

After the break Ceballos came on for Willock and inevitably Arsenal pushed United back. The defence were noticeably deeper and Arsenal tried to move the ball side to side and find those little openings. O’Connell and then Basham had to make timely interceptions and then Egan was there to make the block. Arsenal won a free kick and corner but United were restricting Arsenal to few chances of note.

Sharp replaced the visibly tiring Mousset and was involved to play in Baldock after neat football but the wing back sent his cross behind when others were well placed. This was a rare break for United who now were sitting in more but Arsenal were struggling to penetrate and forced to deep crosses which played into United’s hands and Henderson claimed a few catches along with more Egan and O’Connell headers away.

Ceballos had a decent chance but rather scuffed his chance and Henderson gathered after a rare moment when Arsenal managed to get behind United’s back line. The game approached the hour mark and Fleck hit a shot into the side netting showing that the Blades would try and play when they could. Lacazette came on for Xhaka and Arsenal really had the big guns up top now but Pepe dragged another effort wide. A few moments of concern saw United concede possession but they kept their discipline and again a few timely blocks were made. Fleck then had a shot at the other end that Leno nearly pushed out into McGoldrick’s path.

Henderson was booked for taking too long over a goal kick before Chambers was booked for a foul on Sharp and McGoldrick also earned Dean’s wrath for a dive and he too was carded in the same move.

Martinelli replaced Pepe and Freeman came on for McGoldrick as the game approached the final 10 minutes. Arsenal won a free kick but this was hit well off target and the crowd could breathe a sigh of relief. More neat work from Lundstram and Fleck bought a bit more time as United remained composed.

The crowd were willing United on and they were now starting to see the end in sight with Arsenal’s fans starting to get frustrated. The away side had not created any clear cut chances of note in the second half.

McBurnie was introduced for Norwood to try and give United something more at the top of the field in terms of trying to hold the ball up. He won a free kick and a booking for Sokratis and the fans cheered every throw, foul and tackle as the game entered five additional minutes of time. United saw the game out superbly taking the ball into the corner and then a final attack was repelled as Baldock and Basham got their bodies in the way. Basham thundered a clearance off an Arsenal attacker and punched the air like a goal as the goal kick was awarded. The final kick from Dean Henderson high into the Sheffield night sky was accompanied by a long blast from Dean to signal full time. United had done it! A tremendous win over one of the big sides at the Lane and well deserved. The players were to the Kop to take the acclaim as the cameras zoomed in on Wilder and goal scorer Mousset but make no mistake this was a total team effort and showed again what this team is all about.

United – So proud of them. To a man they were brilliant. They played when they could and got the goal but they were so organised, disciplined and all played for each other. It was a performance where you actually thought I am so proud to call myself a fan of this team. Someone on twitter summed it up when they said the sort of team/players you would go in the trenches with! I know what they meant. We did play football though and it felt different to the win against Arsenal 12 years ago that felt more back to the walls. First half we were as good as them and had lot of play, corners and some half chances. They had one golden chance that Pepe missed and then of course a few penalty appeals – but not sure either really was despite Emery’s sour grapes at full time. Henderson made one save from Xhaka but I think that was his only real big save all night. The rest of the game we kept them to very few chances of note. We played some lovely pockets of football at times and also made sure when we had to stop them by fair or legal means we did. I summed it up on the pod when I said our foul management was magnificent!

Second half was a bit different as you knew they would come at us and we may have to sit back with tired legs and they did move it about more but we kept a solid shape and not sure they got behind us at all. They made more subs to try and give them more up top but the vaunted attacking pair including Lacazette did very little all evening. It was one of those that even though Arsenal shifted it about and did get little openings we got back on the cover so well. We moved across and stopped them getting anything clear cut. It was a textbook defensive performance against some very good players. At times we panicked a bit second half when we had possession but that is a tiny nit-pick. To be fair this was more fatigue, I think. In terms of when we had it but still had chances (Fleck x 2) and tried to keep it when we could. I think there were one or two tired legs understandably at the end so we went long a bit more.

Individually no-one had a bad game but as a team it was a proper performance in terms of everything. We don’t have the pace, athleticism and natural ability of most of the Arsenal players but we made them look quite limited and showed we have more skill than many think as Carragher spoke about after the game. It is the sort of night where you stand there at full time and think that is My Club, my Sheffield United. I could not have been prouder. Henderson was faultless pretty much, the defence were superb but the midfield also all played great covering ground, making tackles and passing intelligently. The attack looked a threat when they could although maybe did not have as much of the ball as you would want but that will be the case v the top sides.

United have set the standard now and need to keep to this for future game. The players need to maintain focus and concentration. If they keep believing and doing the things, they have been doing then we will continue to surprise teams. We need to ensure that we keep up this same level. The great thing is as much as people say we are rubbish after international breaks – we have smashed that theory now. I also think the breaks help us as we put so much into games and the energy and effort is unreal. We can play the season in little mini blocks. So now we have the two London games sandwiched between Burnley. Anything we get at West Ham and Spurs is a bonus but Burnley is a big game as we have to ensure we can keep the standards up against sides not quite of level as Arsenal or Liverpool.

Wilder will keep them grounded and now we have a tough game at West Ham who might have the best team they have had for a long time and are very good at home. However, confidence will be high and we need to keep picking up points. If we can keep the same level of performance as we have most of the season and defend like we have done, we will be fine. There is still work to do from an attacking sense but that will take time. For now, we just need to enjoy this week and puff our chests out. It had been a long time when you can look at the top flight and see us in a position having beat Arsenal and Everton, drew with Chelsea and matched Liverpool all the way. A shame we did not beat Southampton and Watford as we would be sat in third place!

Ratings:

Henderson 8/10 – Actually only made one save of note – the flying save he made across to his left which you would expect. He made a few other easy ones and saw a few flash past his post but his handling was good and took a few crosses. He only had one moment first half when a cross came over low down and I thought he could have come for it but he did not and they had a half chance. His kicking was better tonight although silly to get booked so long before the game for changing sides.

Baldock 8/10 – Another great performance where he stuck to his task defensively with some great interceptions, used his body well and just did what he had to. Did not see as much of him going forward and had one rush of blood when well placed 2nd half and his cross was wayward. Such a good athlete that is improving with every game. What a signing he has been.

Stevens 8/10 – As above. He actually got forward more and in the first half several attacks for us came from his runs and bursts down the left. He won several corners and was busy and involved. He also kept to his position and defended intelligently and with determination and showed good strength on a few occasions too. He has had a superb season.

Basham 8.5/10 – He is one I have been a bit critical at times (maybe too much) but he keeps proving me and others what a player he is. Tonight, he was solid with the ball when he could play it but more than that the energy of his play was incredible. He was all over the place. Whether it be chasing Aubemeyang down (matched him for pace at one point) or coming around on the cover to intercept, he did it all. He also showed great skill to chase a few balls down and hook forward in the second half. Loved that moment at the end when he won a goal kick and punched the air!

O’Connell 8.5/10 – Superb again. He kept his shape, made interceptions and was so tight on some of the best attackers in world football. He also came out when he could from defence. He had several good runs in the first half that led to chances/corners from him overlapping and was braver than he/we have been for a good few weeks. We definitely saw more of the overlapping CB’s in this game than others and the shackles were off at times first half. Second half he kept his composure and made a number of blocks or challenges to stem any possible run into the box. Set up the goal of course with a great header back too!

Egan 9/10 – My Man of the Match. I thought he was immense. Bash and O’Connell were great and the midfield were superb too but I thought he was our best player. He seemed to win everything at times and that final stage of the game any ball into the box he seemed to be there. He is another that seems even better at this level than the Championship. Sure, he has made the odd mistakes but for the most part he has been like a rock. He used the ball well and has been more confident in his passing too.

Norwood 8/10 – He was controlling things first half and moving things on well. His passing was neat and tidy and although he did not do as much long passing, he was just central to what we did in helping it on and moving it. He took the corner for the goal and was involved in many of our better attacks. The thing that impressed me most was his other side of his game tonight. He got so many tackles, interceptions or cover challenges in and thought defensively he was superb and showed a side to his game we do not always see (at Champ level he got ran past by decent but lesser players but has kept his shape and seems more mobile/fitter – maybe the hernia thing did not help?) but has been much better at his discipline this season against even better players. He has been so solid defensively and that has impressed me as much as his passing and switch balls. Like the way he does not moan when he comes off as he knows we may need extra legs for the final stages of games and we have done this well a few times now.

Lundstram 8/10 – Another really good performance. My Uncle has not been until this game and only seen bits on TV but he could not believe it was the same player. He remarked how much fitter, stronger and athletic he looked. He felt he was so much fitter and did not tire like he used to do. He played wider right than central for quite a spell first half and seemed to help us clog up that side well but also knocked it around when he could and was nice and sensible in his touch and passing. Second half positionally, him and all the midfield were excellent denying gaps, breaking up play and doing everything they needed to do. He has really shocked me this season. As much as everyone talks about us not having a 10 and a flat three hindering us, we have to be realistic and concede that is how we may have to be for a lot of games as we have to be solid. So far it may not yield as many attacks/chances but the points haul suggest it is working.

Fleck 8/10 – Thought he started a bit slow and gave it away a few times and then got the daft booking which may have held him back but then the shackles came off and he grew and grew into the game. He was able to start getting on the ball, linking with others and driving forward when he could. I thought 2nd half he was fantastic. He had the shot just wide after a good run and then another long ranger saved by the keeper. He also had a few other ling busting runs to relieve the pressure. The lob over the player and galloping run summed up his great play.

McGoldrick 7.5/10 – Thought he was good first half and came deep and gave us that link. Showed some neat footwork and combined well when he good with others. Did not have any real clear chances I can recall and most of his good play came outside the box but worked so hard. He chased back and covered. He did lose it once that set them on the attack and not great the dive, he did second half – if we criticise Pepe we have to do the same to our own players and should stay on his feet. Tired a bit towards the end and rightly brought off but been out for a while with his hamstring injury. I think even though he has not scored yet this season he is such an important player and needs to start games for me as he allows us that extra man in midfield and also can help us link things so much more. With Robinson and McBurnie everything is more isolated into departments and they also do not hold it up as well.

Mousset 7.5/10 – He got man of the match which was a bit of a stretch as there were several better performers even though he did well. He was lively and showed some neat touches and turns but also ran into a few blind alleys and got muscled off a few times (he clearly needs more games and still not there with fitness) but was there to turn in the vital goal and this of course was the big moment. Clearly loving life at the Lane. He looked knackered by half time but adrenaline seemed to keep him going for the early part of the 2nd half. Think it was inevitable he would come off but he had a big smile on his face. Nice to see him run to Wilder on the goal for the faith he has put with him for both signing him and now giving him a run of games. Wilder seemed to acknowledge this gesture but also seemed to be telling him to get back on with the game which was classic Wilder!

Subs –

Sharp 7/10 – He put a lot of effort in but the ball did not always stick and he turned inside too much seeing them come away with it. He needed to be more secure in possession but always hard as we were defending mostly at this point. I love Billy but even last night you can see why he won’t start many games if any at all as his lack of pace and athleticism shows up at the top level. I get it does not matter if you are goal scorer but we will see so many games where we don’t have the ball and need strikers to hold things up, do the defensive side and link more so not sure we can afford him to play more than a bit part knowing we wont create many chances. Still feel he will get a few goals here and there and have a part of play and always gives the crowd a lift when he comes in.

Freeman – Not involved much on the ball really but did his bit defensively and when Norwood went off had to sit more. He will have loved coming on and helping us preserve the win against the team he began his career with and was released. He looked chuffed to bits at full time. His job now is to make sure when he gets a chance, he takes it. He did great v Palace and also in a few sub appearances but a few other games he was quieter. Another that needs to get fitter and you see why we overrun and beat teams at the death a lot last year as we had much fitter players at the Championship when you look at some, we have brought in that are not quite at this level.

McBurnie – I was a little surprised he was involved. I felt Wilder may leave him out for a period but then if he thinks he is going to help us then I suppose he would not cut his nose off to spite himself and so he used him. When he came on, he won a free kick but again looked a bit unfit (as mentioned with the others) maybe he was still not 100%. He needs to get much stronger and needs to retain possession more. We looked much better with the front two that played and he will have a fight to get his shirt back as he did not do enough when he played recently. As for the other incident – moronic. He has already partaken in daft stuff on social media (w sign at a Swansea game) and the Scotland mocking message also. He needs to grow up if he wants to be a success. Wilder loves his players to enjoy themselves after a win/when they have done well but to be frank, he has done very little in a red and white shirt especially for our record signing. He needs to shape up quickly on and off the field. That is my opinion. We need to see some maturity in both sides. Sure, Wilder will deal with this in the correct manner.

Manager Wilder 9.5/10 – Maybe he should be a 10? I am not sure. Always need something to aspire to so will keep it at 9.5! Tactically spot on, team selection right. Subs right time and helped us see things out. We limited the to few chances. Forced them wide and they ran out of ideas. We passed when we could and got up the pitch too especially first half. Not sure what more I can say. Just sensational. We are so lucky to have him. At the end he looked quite calm and measure and did not see much badge thumping. This shows how high he has set the standards. Inside I bet his heart was ready to burst out of his chest so proud he must have felt as he saw 30,000 Blades singing their hearts out after another fantastic performance.

Arsenal – I always thought we had a chance against them if we were organised and took our chance/s if it came. So, it transpired. They have lots of talent and quite a young team and are still in transition. Many Arsenal fans are caught between the ‘we can do better than Emery’ to those who realise whoever took over from Wenger it would take time. I am not sure what the answer is really and sacking him wont change things. They will probably finish top 5 (maybe 3rd or 4th) and have some really good players but still a bit soft and still liable to lose at teams like us. However, what I would say it they came out and tried hard – it was not like a physical team turned them over. They just looked a bit frustrated and clueless. Another team that had an off day against us. Becoming a bit of a broken record. They need to give us some credit also.

They played some nice stuff and, on the turnover, if they beat our press showed real flashes with a few players showing real pace and athleticism that we could not really get close to. However, there was little conviction when it mattered and for all the possession, they ended up knocking balls into the box and aimless crosses. Not sure they had much penetration and missed an Ozil type who could open up defences.

They rarely got though the middle and we forced them wide quite a bit. They did have a few great moves (Pepe should have scored after two superb passes cut us open) and at times we were at full stretch but weirdly as the game went on, they created less and less. They made changes. Some Arsenal fans will criticise the team and point to no Tierney or Ozil but the team cost a fortune and one player Pepe cost 72 million. SEVENTY-TWO. They have options all over the field and bench only we could dream of. Defensively they were ok but overplayed out from the keeper and kept getting caught out and better teams will punish them even more. The goal was such a poor one to concede.

Emery said they deserved a draw on possession, corners etc but not sure they really did much with it and we got the lead and defended superbly and they had to break us down. They could not do it. Ljungberg was pathetic incidentally ranting and moaning. Arsenal had 850 million pounds worth of talent and needs to look closer to home at why they did not get anything. It was not down to the officials.

They do have some good young talent and need to add to this. I look at some of their players and I see a bright future if they can add some defensive experience and maybe midfield creativity around them. I think Arsenal will lose a few more to teams like us away and be strong at home but the fans need to be patient. They need to slowly add. They are not going to get close to City and Liverpool for a few years. 3rd or 4th and maybe a cup is what they have to be aiming for as much as that is frustrating. They are still closer to those two than Manchester United for example.

Opponent Man of the Match – Guendouzi was their best player by a stretch for me. A class act. Can tackle, runs around but technically superb. Seems to have it all. An athlete, He is only 20 too! I thought his lookalike Luiz as much as he gets panned had a solid game and was good in possession.

Pepe missed a big chance but is full of flicks and tricks and thought he was one of few to hurt us with his pace and running but we managed to hold him up. Disappointing how he flung himself to the ground too. Chambers played ok and is a signing that would have been superb if we had got him but now is a regular again. Saka also showed a few bits of good individual skill but then went missing for stages too.

Opponent Weak link – I have to say I never thought would say it but Aubameyang was really poor and got frustrated and started to sulk. Lacazette with limited time did little else. They actually were two of the poorer players admittedly the latter in less game time. Papastathopoulous (try and say it let alone spell it!) and Sokratis are very ordinary players and I felt we showed their lack of mobility and ability to react when players got stuck in or ran at them. Also, Leno’s distribution was really poor and seemed quite panicky when he got the ball. Willock was quiet and I also think Xhaka is a player that has attributes but things he is much better than he is and United got amongst him and outworked him. Papastathopoulos

Referee/Officials/VAR – Mike Dean was excellent. Saw a few comments that he did not give them things but he was terrific. The only contentious call was the holding on the corner. Arsenal and Emery seem to miss O’Connell getting grappled with on corners also for us. They are penalties but you would see 5-10 a game. It smacked as a bit desperate from Emery. The dive given on Pepe was right in the sense he was looking for it. Thought yellow was a bit harsh but it was definitely not a penalty. To be fair he booked McGoldrick for similar so was consistent. He tried to let things flow and did not keep stopping things. All the other bookings were correct. He was good at stamping down and ignoring some of the theatrics of the Arsenal players trying to buy free kicks. He penalised our time wasting and just thought he was superb. Yes, you get the animated body language and pointing when he gives things but that is part of his make-up/Schtick. He was fantastic last night and not just saying that because we won. He gave free kicks both ways, booked players correctly and let the game flow. It was not about the referee last night and he actually managed to stay out of the limelight. I actually thought his assistants were a bit slow to help him with throw in calls and he had to give these at times too. Dean has had some so-so games with us but the last few he has been very good to be fair.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – Thought it was fantastic at times and then quiet on occasions but maybe this was the nerves as the clock ticked down. It was very loud to start and then each attack it got louder as we sensed something happening. The goal came and the noise was something else. After this there were quiet spells as they had the ball but it was more gasps and collective sucking in of the cheeks as we snuffed out attack after attack. I felt the last 10-15 minutes the crowd came again and really pushed the side over the top! They really drove the team onto every little bit of play whether it be closing down, chasing a through ball or getting a block. To see fans in the South Stand near me (sure it was the same everywhere) celebrating every tackle, decision and missed ball from them, like a goal was something else. The roar on full time was almighty. Most of the ground remained in to give them a rightful huge ovation.

I felt to Arsenal’s fans credit they made a fair bit of noise at times and were much louder than Liverpool when they came. They were getting a bit frustrated towards the end but you felt them think ‘here we go again’ after a number of northern night defeats in the last few years under Wenger and Emery. They still look like they have a bit of a soft belly and it must be hard for fans of Arsenal and Man Utd to see City and Liverpool so much better than them.

Not a big fan of the light show pre game. It is a bit tacky and not even that great to look at really. I have to say my Uncle went to his first game of the season after cancer treatment and said he was so impressed with the light (so much brighter) and the feel in the stadium. He noticeably felt the difference not just on the field and off it with everything that was happening now we are in the top flight. Still loads of people coming in and out during the game (why you cannot wait for a pie/pint I do not know) and miss chunks of the game. Many stand and drink/talk in the concourse as the game is going on. Bizarre behaviour.

Great to see the Lane almost full (odd few restricted seats and then a few hundred in the top of the upper tier) and really loud on a really great night.

Looking forward to West Ham and will do a pre match and post match pod also.

The thing with the ratings is every player was 7.5/8 to 9

Not sure I could argue too much if people have different ratings in this bracket but for different players! They were all great really. I marked front two down slightly - still good marks for me as not quite as involved (not necessarily fault of them)

Great night out, very good report.

My MOM was McGoldrick because he made such a difference right where it is hardest to do so. 9.5/10 for him then I had 5x 9's. What a night!

Their manager selected a strong, big team for the battle that he assumed and instead got beaten by tactics, unity and organisation. Team versus group of individuals. The team paid peanuts compared to the group of individuals that lost. He could have played Torreira and Cebellos, the Celtic lad and Lacazette. Then there's the Ozil story and I'm glad he was not there for the final 30 minutes. He could have chosen such creativity and firepower instead of muscle and strength. Then he told them to chuff around with the ball across the back as per Adkins and Blackwell; bad enough at 0-0 but at 0-1 what on earth were they doing - slow, slow, slow, slow, quick and hopeful. Aubameyang sulked because he made run after run without any of their side ever noticing.

Agree re Sharp. Bit hard on McBurnie but he deserves that this week. The Moose lasted about 35 minutes, no more and strange really, not sure what the fitness problem is there.

Could well have been a penalty on Baldock if he had not fallen so theatrically. Never saw their shouts for pens!!

So far so very good and if anything our points tally is a bit harsh on us.

Good report DB. Fleck got to the ball before the Arsenal player, he was harshly booked for the follow through. A free kick under to-days contact rules but not a booking IMO. If he'd got the player first Dean would probably have sent him off. Also I thought it was Egan who pulled the shirt for the penalty we got away with but agree he was MOM.

Excellent report as always DB.
Don‘t take this the wrong way. I think Sokratis and Papastathopoulos is one and the same player.
How you remember all the details of the match is beyond my comprehension.
I did smile at that. Sokratis Papastathopoulos goes by Sokratis on his shirt. Talking of which, it was Egan who got caught napping at the Arsenal corner at 0-0 and reacted by tugging his shirt (not McGoldrick). Bit daft and another ref might have given it.

Great report Deadbat. Couple of minor points: Fleck won the ball ahead of Aubayemang but got booked for catching the Arsenal man in the follow through, Kolasinac got booked for backchat when McGoldrick was booked for diving and Chambers got booked for chopping down Sharp right at the end.

I think you were a bit harsh on McBurnie, he put himself about and win a fair amount in the air. He definitely has an ungainly running style though which may be why people think he's unfit?

I also don't know what more Wilder would have to do to get a 10. That win was down to the tactical plans drawn up by the CWAK brains trust which were enacted to perfection.

A great night at the Lane, and you rose to the occasion. By which I mean, my view of the game coincides with yours! Except I think I would rate Wilder at 10.5, a number reserved for the gods. I have no other explanation for what he is achieving.

Spot on report DB big night games are always a bit special at BDTBL yesterday was no different we beat a team that have been at the top for decades and who can be classed as a European heavy weight with all the riches that gives you. Just over 3 year ago we were if you hung around long enough witnessing Adkins team's walk of shame, let that sink in.
We have come a long way in a short space of time who knows how much further we can go with Wilder in charge?

Ha! Ha! Both are crap
Great report as usual. If Pepe had scored, I reckon VAR would have chalked it off due to offside in the build up. Regarding Mike Dean, he was OK but far too quick with the yellow cards. 8 in that game was ridiculous.

thinking about it today as i knew arsenal reminded me of someone where they were a big team that teams were confident that they could beat at home. i realised who it was. it was us under clough sometimes & mostly adkins. because how many times did we not compete no fight no desire & 1 setback they couldn't be bothered. like Shrewsbury Bury Crawley Stevenage Scunthorpe Fleetwood Southend i could go on. if this team had a Tony Adams & Patrick Vieira not even talent more character they would be challenging for the title

got in late after a beer and then work stopped me doing it till now!
Don't we know it from your posts last night, "aahh fuckin' love this tee-am".

It was Bukayo Saka who was booked for simulation going down under Egan's challenge in the box and not Pepe. I'd have given McGoldrick another point as he makes such a big difference in linking and holding up play. Technically he was superb. I think everyone has been a bit harsh on Sharp. I thought he did well when he came on given the match situation. He held it up, won fouls and even won a few balls that came over the top, one in particular he brought down very well.

Glad you picked up on how great it feels to be a proud Blade at moments like this. Not just the achievement but the way we've done it. Heart , grit, organisation and lowly rated players rising fantastically to the opportunity they've earned. So much better than buying success. Thanks for a great report Deadbat.

Ratings:

Henderson 8/10 – Actually only made one save of note – the flying save he made across to his left which you would expect. He made a few other easy ones and saw a few flash past his post but his handling was good and took a few crosses. He only had one moment first half when a cross came over low down and I thought he could have come for it but he did not and they had a half chance. His kicking was better tonight although silly to get booked so long before the game for changing sides.

Baldock 8/10 – Another great performance where he stuck to his task defensively with some great interceptions, used his body well and just did what he had to. Did not see as much of him going forward and had one rush of blood when well placed 2nd half and his cross was wayward. Such a good athlete that is improving with every game. What a signing he has been.

Stevens 8/10 – As above. He actually got forward more and in the first half several attacks for us came from his runs and bursts down the left. He won several corners and was busy and involved. He also kept to his position and defended intelligently and with determination and showed good strength on a few occasions too. He has had a superb season.

Basham 8.5/10 – He is one I have been a bit critical at times (maybe too much) but he keeps proving me and others what a player he is. Tonight, he was solid with the ball when he could play it but more than that the energy of his play was incredible. He was all over the place. Whether it be chasing Aubemeyang down (matched him for pace at one point) or coming around on the cover to intercept, he did it all. He also showed great skill to chase a few balls down and hook forward in the second half. Loved that moment at the end when he won a goal kick and punched the air!

O’Connell 8.5/10 – Superb again. He kept his shape, made interceptions and was so tight on some of the best attackers in world football. He also came out when he could from defence. He had several good runs in the first half that led to chances/corners from him overlapping and was braver than he/we have been for a good few weeks. We definitely saw more of the overlapping CB’s in this game than others and the shackles were off at times first half. Second half he kept his composure and made a number of blocks or challenges to stem any possible run into the box. Set up the goal of course with a great header back too!

Egan 9/10 – My Man of the Match. I thought he was immense. Bash and O’Connell were great and the midfield were superb too but I thought he was our best player. He seemed to win everything at times and that final stage of the game any ball into the box he seemed to be there. He is another that seems even better at this level than the Championship. Sure, he has made the odd mistakes but for the most part he has been like a rock. He used the ball well and has been more confident in his passing too.

Norwood 8/10 – He was controlling things first half and moving things on well. His passing was neat and tidy and although he did not do as much long passing, he was just central to what we did in helping it on and moving it. He took the corner for the goal and was involved in many of our better attacks. The thing that impressed me most was his other side of his game tonight. He got so many tackles, interceptions or cover challenges in and thought defensively he was superb and showed a side to his game we do not always see (at Champ level he got ran past by decent but lesser players but has kept his shape and seems more mobile/fitter – maybe the hernia thing did not help?) but has been much better at his discipline this season against even better players. He has been so solid defensively and that has impressed me as much as his passing and switch balls. Like the way he does not moan when he comes off as he knows we may need extra legs for the final stages of games and we have done this well a few times now.

Lundstram 8/10 – Another really good performance. My Uncle has not been until this game and only seen bits on TV but he could not believe it was the same player. He remarked how much fitter, stronger and athletic he looked. He felt he was so much fitter and did not tire like he used to do. He played wider right than central for quite a spell first half and seemed to help us clog up that side well but also knocked it around when he could and was nice and sensible in his touch and passing. Second half positionally, him and all the midfield were excellent denying gaps, breaking up play and doing everything they needed to do. He has really shocked me this season. As much as everyone talks about us not having a 10 and a flat three hindering us, we have to be realistic and concede that is how we may have to be for a lot of games as we have to be solid. So far it may not yield as many attacks/chances but the points haul suggest it is working.

Fleck 8/10 – Thought he started a bit slow and gave it away a few times and then got the daft booking which may have held him back but then the shackles came off and he grew and grew into the game. He was able to start getting on the ball, linking with others and driving forward when he could. I thought 2nd half he was fantastic. He had the shot just wide after a good run and then another long ranger saved by the keeper. He also had a few other ling busting runs to relieve the pressure. The lob over the player and galloping run summed up his great play.

McGoldrick 7.5/10 – Thought he was good first half and came deep and gave us that link. Showed some neat footwork and combined well when he good with others. Did not have any real clear chances I can recall and most of his good play came outside the box but worked so hard. He chased back and covered. He did lose it once that set them on the attack and not great the dive, he did second half – if we criticise Pepe we have to do the same to our own players and should stay on his feet. Tired a bit towards the end and rightly brought off but been out for a while with his hamstring injury. I think even though he has not scored yet this season he is such an important player and needs to start games for me as he allows us that extra man in midfield and also can help us link things so much more. With Robinson and McBurnie everything is more isolated into departments and they also do not hold it up as well.

Mousset 7.5/10 – He got man of the match which was a bit of a stretch as there were several better performers even though he did well. He was lively and showed some neat touches and turns but also ran into a few blind alleys and got muscled off a few times (he clearly needs more games and still not there with fitness) but was there to turn in the vital goal and this of course was the big moment. Clearly loving life at the Lane. He looked knackered by half time but adrenaline seemed to keep him going for the early part of the 2nd half. Think it was inevitable he would come off but he had a big smile on his face. Nice to see him run to Wilder on the goal for the faith he has put with him for both signing him and now giving him a run of games. Wilder seemed to acknowledge this gesture but also seemed to be telling him to get back on with the game which was classic Wilder!

Subs –

Sharp 7/10 – He put a lot of effort in but the ball did not always stick and he turned inside too much seeing them come away with it. He needed to be more secure in possession but always hard as we were defending mostly at this point. I love Billy but even last night you can see why he won’t start many games if any at all as his lack of pace and athleticism shows up at the top level. I get it does not matter if you are goal scorer but we will see so many games where we don’t have the ball and need strikers to hold things up, do the defensive side and link more so not sure we can afford him to play more than a bit part knowing we wont create many chances. Still feel he will get a few goals here and there and have a part of play and always gives the crowd a lift when he comes in.

Freeman – Not involved much on the ball really but did his bit defensively and when Norwood went off had to sit more. He will have loved coming on and helping us preserve the win against the team he began his career with and was released. He looked chuffed to bits at full time. His job now is to make sure when he gets a chance, he takes it. He did great v Palace and also in a few sub appearances but a few other games he was quieter. Another that needs to get fitter and you see why we overrun and beat teams at the death a lot last year as we had much fitter players at the Championship when you look at some, we have brought in that are not quite at this level.

McBurnie – I was a little surprised he was involved. I felt Wilder may leave him out for a period but then if he thinks he is going to help us then I suppose he would not cut his nose off to spite himself and so he used him. When he came on, he won a free kick but again looked a bit unfit (as mentioned with the others) maybe he was still not 100%. He needs to get much stronger and needs to retain possession more. We looked much better with the front two that played and he will have a fight to get his shirt back as he did not do enough when he played recently. As for the other incident – moronic. He has already partaken in daft stuff on social media (w sign at a Swansea game) and the Scotland mocking message also. He needs to grow up if he wants to be a success. Wilder loves his players to enjoy themselves after a win/when they have done well but to be frank, he has done very little in a red and white shirt especially for our record signing. He needs to shape up quickly on and off the field. That is my opinion. We need to see some maturity in both sides. Sure, Wilder will deal with this in the correct manner.

Manager Wilder 9.5/10 – Maybe he should be a 10? I am not sure. Always need something to aspire to so will keep it at 9.5! Tactically spot on, team selection right. Subs right time and helped us see things out. We limited the to few chances. Forced them wide and they ran out of ideas. We passed when we could and got up the pitch too especially first half. Not sure what more I can say. Just sensational. We are so lucky to have him. At the end he looked quite calm and measure and did not see much badge thumping. This shows how high he has set the standards. Inside I bet his heart was ready to burst out of his chest so proud he must have felt as he saw 30,000 Blades singing their hearts out after another fantastic performance.

Arsenal – I always thought we had a chance against them if we were organised and took our chance/s if it came. So, it transpired. They have lots of talent and quite a young team and are still in transition. Many Arsenal fans are caught between the ‘we can do better than Emery’ to those who realise whoever took over from Wenger it would take time. I am not sure what the answer is really and sacking him wont change things. They will probably finish top 5 (maybe 3rd or 4th) and have some really good players but still a bit soft and still liable to lose at teams like us. However, what I would say it they came out and tried hard – it was not like a physical team turned them over. They just looked a bit frustrated and clueless. Another team that had an off day against us. Becoming a bit of a broken record. They need to give us some credit also.

They played some nice stuff and, on the turnover, if they beat our press showed real flashes with a few players showing real pace and athleticism that we could not really get close to. However, there was little conviction when it mattered and for all the possession, they ended up knocking balls into the box and aimless crosses. Not sure they had much penetration and missed an Ozil type who could open up defences.

They rarely got though the middle and we forced them wide quite a bit. They did have a few great moves (Pepe should have scored after two superb passes cut us open) and at times we were at full stretch but weirdly as the game went on, they created less and less. They made changes. Some Arsenal fans will criticise the team and point to no Tierney or Ozil but the team cost a fortune and one player Pepe cost 72 million. SEVENTY-TWO. They have options all over the field and bench only we could dream of. Defensively they were ok but overplayed out from the keeper and kept getting caught out and better teams will punish them even more. The goal was such a poor one to concede.

Emery said they deserved a draw on possession, corners etc but not sure they really did much with it and we got the lead and defended superbly and they had to break us down. They could not do it. Ljungberg was pathetic incidentally ranting and moaning. Arsenal had 850 million pounds worth of talent and needs to look closer to home at why they did not get anything. It was not down to the officials.

They do have some good young talent and need to add to this. I look at some of their players and I see a bright future if they can add some defensive experience and maybe midfield creativity around them. I think Arsenal will lose a few more to teams like us away and be strong at home but the fans need to be patient. They need to slowly add. They are not going to get close to City and Liverpool for a few years. 3rd or 4th and maybe a cup is what they have to be aiming for as much as that is frustrating. They are still closer to those two than Manchester United for example.

Opponent Man of the Match – Guendouzi was their best player by a stretch for me. A class act. Can tackle, runs around but technically superb. Seems to have it all. An athlete, He is only 20 too! I thought his lookalike Luiz as much as he gets panned had a solid game and was good in possession.

Pepe missed a big chance but is full of flicks and tricks and thought he was one of few to hurt us with his pace and running but we managed to hold him up. Disappointing how he flung himself to the ground too. Chambers played ok and is a signing that would have been superb if we had got him but now is a regular again. Saka also showed a few bits of good individual skill but then went missing for stages too.

Opponent Weak link – I have to say I never thought would say it but Aubameyang was really poor and got frustrated and started to sulk. Lacazette with limited time did little else. They actually were two of the poorer players admittedly the latter in less game time. Papastathopoulous (try and say it let alone spell it!) and Sokratis are very ordinary players and I felt we showed their lack of mobility and ability to react when players got stuck in or ran at them. Also, Leno’s distribution was really poor and seemed quite panicky when he got the ball. Willock was quiet and I also think Xhaka is a player that has attributes but things he is much better than he is and United got amongst him and outworked him. Papastathopoulos

Referee/Officials/VAR – Mike Dean was excellent. Saw a few comments that he did not give them things but he was terrific. The only contentious call was the holding on the corner. Arsenal and Emery seem to miss O’Connell getting grappled with on corners also for us. They are penalties but you would see 5-10 a game. It smacked as a bit desperate from Emery. The dive given on Pepe was right in the sense he was looking for it. Thought yellow was a bit harsh but it was definitely not a penalty. To be fair he booked McGoldrick for similar so was consistent. He tried to let things flow and did not keep stopping things. All the other bookings were correct. He was good at stamping down and ignoring some of the theatrics of the Arsenal players trying to buy free kicks. He penalised our time wasting and just thought he was superb. Yes, you get the animated body language and pointing when he gives things but that is part of his make-up/Schtick. He was fantastic last night and not just saying that because we won. He gave free kicks both ways, booked players correctly and let the game flow. It was not about the referee last night and he actually managed to stay out of the limelight. I actually thought his assistants were a bit slow to help him with throw in calls and he had to give these at times too. Dean has had some so-so games with us but the last few he has been very good to be fair.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – Thought it was fantastic at times and then quiet on occasions but maybe this was the nerves as the clock ticked down. It was very loud to start and then each attack it got louder as we sensed something happening. The goal came and the noise was something else. After this there were quiet spells as they had the ball but it was more gasps and collective sucking in of the cheeks as we snuffed out attack after attack. I felt the last 10-15 minutes the crowd came again and really pushed the side over the top! They really drove the team onto every little bit of play whether it be closing down, chasing a through ball or getting a block. To see fans in the South Stand near me (sure it was the same everywhere) celebrating every tackle, decision and missed ball from them, like a goal was something else. The roar on full time was almighty. Most of the ground remained in to give them a rightful huge ovation.

I felt to Arsenal’s fans credit they made a fair bit of noise at times and were much louder than Liverpool when they came. They were getting a bit frustrated towards the end but you felt them think ‘here we go again’ after a number of northern night defeats in the last few years under Wenger and Emery. They still look like they have a bit of a soft belly and it must be hard for fans of Arsenal and Man Utd to see City and Liverpool so much better than them.

Not a big fan of the light show pre game. It is a bit tacky and not even that great to look at really. I have to say my Uncle went to his first game of the season after cancer treatment and said he was so impressed with the light (so much brighter) and the feel in the stadium. He noticeably felt the difference not just on the field and off it with everything that was happening now we are in the top flight. Still loads of people coming in and out during the game (why you cannot wait for a pie/pint I do not know) and miss chunks of the game. Many stand and drink/talk in the concourse as the game is going on. Bizarre behaviour.

Great to see the Lane almost full (odd few restricted seats and then a few hundred in the top of the upper tier) and really loud on a really great night.

Looking forward to West Ham and will do a pre match and post match pod also.
when Bash chased Aubemeyang down is something that will live in my memory. he thought he was gone. he was amazed when Bash caught him and robbed him of the ball . i can still see his little face :D
i was amazed as well tbf
Arsenal looked like a bunch of talented players winging it on the night .. like they'd underestimated us totally. the defence didn't play as a unit and the team didnt' defend from the front.. they could do with a couple of 'normal' players with a bit of skill and passion/desire. which makes the decision to offload Ramsay even more perplexing

...we will see so many games where we don’t have the ball and need strikers to hold things up, do the defensive side and link more so not sure we can afford him to play more than a bit part knowing we wont create many chances.

Re Sharp - he's still better at all of the above than the majority of our striking options!

Great report DB.

My thoughts!
We look better when McGoldrick plays he just adds to the link play with his deft little skillfull touches.
Billy did his best to hold up play when he came on, but for me he won't start many games.
I thought McBurnie did OK when he came on, yes he needs some "life skill" coaching as well as football coaching but i think he is going to be a big asset for us once he gets stronger/fitter/confidence, especially the latter in my my opinion, but then i was always "championed" of Lundstram so what do i know?

I like Mousset

Going forward and with Wilder i wonder how many of our current team will cut it at this level, Wilder and the new owner will be looking up at maybe 6th place so i guess we will have some "higher quality" players coming in eventually, especially in the midfield/attacking areas, it would be a shame to see some of the current crop being moved on as we have all grown together, but as people keep saying "that's football"

UTB

Ratings:

The fact that our keeper changed sides makes the win even more impressive :)

Agree about Hendo's kicking. Fast, accurate, and lots of distance.

Even though we played well and Hendo only had 1 or 2 saves to make don't you think Arsenal looked better than Liverpool? I do.

Spot on as per
The more I see that challenge on baldock the more I think its a pen, he just totally got took out, no attempt for the ball, nailed on for me

Even though we played well and Hendo only had 1 or 2 saves to make don't you think Arsenal looked better than Liverpool? I do.
i didn't .. the difference between the two is that Liverpool had a system and their starts grafted. i didn't appreciate Henderson until that game. if Arsenal had someone like Henderson, not a great player but puts a shift in and points and shouts a lot they'd be a much better 'team'

Going forward and with Wilder i wonder how many of our current team will cut it at this level, Wilder and the new owner will be looking up at maybe 6th place so i guess we will have some "higher quality" players coming in eventually, especially in the midfield/attacking areas, it would be a shame to see some of the current crop being moved on as we have all grown together, but as people keep saying "that's football"
Given that Wilder started with 10 players who played last season in the championship, and the performance against a top Prem side, I find it very amusing to see a Blades fan wondering "how many of our current team will cut it at this level"!!

i didn't .. the difference between the two is that Liverpool had a system and their starts grafted. i didn't appreciate Henderson until that game. if Arsenal had someone like Henderson, not a great player but puts a shift in and points and shouts a lot they'd be a much better 'team'
Thought they had the ball alot more than Lpool and looked more dangerous in pace.

Back
Top Bottom