United 0 Leeds 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShockingBadBuy

Often disappointed, never discouraged
Reaction score
Duff struggled, but I’m not sure he really deserves the panning he’s getting on this thread. Leeds man-marked him out of the game from the first minute, with their player (Forshaw?) following him everywhere and anywhere when we had the ball. The best number 10s in the country will struggle to find space under that kind of pressure.

Add to that Leeds’ high press, with three and sometimes four of their players pushing on our backline, and we found it hard to get our defenders up the pitch and overlapping.

Fair play to Bielsa, for me. He was in the media during the week, talking about Wilder’s inventive attacking style, saying it was difficult to defend against. With the job they did on Duffy, and the way they took our defenders out, I’d say they got it pretty much spot on tactically.

Sean Thornton

Reaction score
Agree with the ratings there DB.

On the whole I thought we were unspectacular in most aspects of play but not good or bad. Leeds were about as good as I expected, the were dangerous at times but vulnerable at the back. It's just a shame we didn't expose this often enough.

Basham by far MotM and McG did really well in most areas, dropping deep he was excellent.

Billy may as well not been on the pitch, not that he did much wrong but we didn't use him at all and he did all his work out wide.
Fleck 7 Duffy 3 for me.

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
Maybe the solution for now is to play McGoldrick behind Sharp and Washington.
It’s the change that I thought should have happened a lot earlier than it did yesterday, and generally I think that deeper role suits his game. I’m not suggesting that as a permanent fix, but he’s the only one of those tried in the Duffy role that looks remotely comfortable there, and I suspect it’ll be simpler to find a striker than a Duffy alternative in January.

Nicolaus_Copernicus

Reaction score
I thought it was a scrappy game tbh, with little in the way of real quality. Washington should've done enough vs. Brentford to get a start. McG & Duffy seemed to get in each others way. McG wasn't close enough to BS for the 1st 60 minutes of play to act as a pair. We delayed our crossing again. For the 3rd or 4th time this season, we've played agaisnt a team with an absolute clown in net & haven't tested him. We asked Billy to compete physically/aerially with their much larger cb's and it's a waste of time and effort. The last 20 minutes showed us the benefit of having a target man on the bench. The JTW will be the defining moment of the season. Address the issues and we'll be there or thereabouts for the play offs. If we don't then it's mid table with the occasional flourish between January and May, and a season of 'what ifs'.

Deaneandagana

Reaction score
I thought it was a scrappy game tbh, with little in the way of real quality. Washington should've done enough vs. Brentford to get a start. McG & Duffy seemed to get in each others way. McG wasn't close enough to BS for the 1st 60 minutes of play to act as a pair. We delayed our crossing again. For the 3rd or 4th time this season, we've played agaisnt a team with an absolute clown in net & haven't tested him. We asked Billy to compete physically/aerially with their much larger cb's and it's a waste of time and effort. The last 20 minutes showed us the benefit of having a target man on the bench. The JTW will be the defining moment of the season. Address the issues and we'll be there or thereabouts for the play offs. If we don't then it's mid table with the occasional flourish between January and May, and a season of 'what ifs'.
For me the club is at a crossroads, we have 3/4 players who through age may well deteriorate over the next 12 months, added to another 3/4 players who, if the club do not match Wilder’s ambition, may well move on.

I made an observation a couple of weeks ago about cryptic comments during CW’s post match interview - well there were a couple more yesterday, one particularly not so much cryptic as blatant.

RammyBlade

We are Bladesmen,Super Bladesmen from the Lane,
Reaction score
Fair assessment Deadbatand agree with your marks - Duffy was appalling and 4 is perhaps generous .
Also agree about the WIFI as I can NEVER get a signal at BDTB to get data

SUFC Handsworth

Wings of a sparrow
Reaction score
"Two consecutive weeks we have given away stupidly late soft goals and it happens a lot to us – too much. "

We need a few leaders to make sure we get over the line and secure the points or point. Putting Coutts in would be a big step in this direction.

It might just be me, but Norwoods style of passing is really starting to grate, he seems to hit everything hard and flat. When it comes off with the long range stuff, it can look great but his corners are the same poor fare time after time, as can his shorter passes be. He was the pick of our midfield for me yesterday but I'd put Coutts in for him initially, if Fleck doesn't improve after that then Norwood in for Fleck. Coutts if he's owt like he was will help take the pressure of the rest of the midfield and team.

Deadbat

Reaction score
Just nit picking your report Deadbeat but Basham has played in the prem for Blackpool.
Yes you are right. I forgot that. He played one full game and came on as sub in another game. That was it for the whole season mind.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom