Tue 19 Feb 7pm U23s

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Think I may have the wrong brewery Phil. The one you blogged about going in and out of admin?
Oh right. That was Sentinel not Stancill. Stancill have The Albion on London Rd. They're not everyone's cup of tea for a Match Day pub. They attracted a bit of criticism as they didn't serve "Normal Lager"

I've enjoyed reading people's views of last night's Under 23 game at The Lane. Even Silent Blade 's laughable attempts at sucking people in with his Academy Blocker trolling. I've slept on it & written & published my Blog. Yes, it was a poor result. Yes, it was a disappointing performance. But, there is a sideways look at it. Which I've tried to capture. The Blog also includes my speculation on whether Travis Binnion is fit to undertake our Brexit negotiations and £2.15 a pint. Write this Blog off at your peril........

https://ball-sup.blogspot.com/2019/02/binnion-brexit.html
As always a good report.. Going on past performances Mr Binnion's presence would have livened our team up a bit. I have always thought that the Under 23s are a Reserve team run to accommodate the first team squad and rightly so The Academy finishes with the under 18s and prospects leave go on loan or are moved on with contracts that could create a revenue stream for the future. I am travelling north a bit now and if you ever manage a visit you will find a club supported as a community club. Great hospitality available to anyone with a ticket for the game. Beer not so great for you but a pint of Tennents brings back great memories for me

As always a good report.. Going on past performances Mr Binnion's presence would have livened our team up a bit. I have always thought that the Under 23s are a Reserve team run to accommodate the first team squad and rightly so The Academy finishes with the under 18s and prospects leave go on loan or are moved on with contracts that could create a revenue stream for the future. I am travelling north a bit now and if you ever manage a visit you will find a club supported as a community club. Great hospitality available to anyone with a ticket for the game. Beer not so great for you but a pint of Tennents brings back great memories for me
Any Buckfast Pal?

Think our scouting system should concentrate more on 16 years olds who might be released by Category 1 Academies rather than scout the ones from 9 to 15 year olds playing in the Junior Leagues
Would be a very short sighted policy to do as you say ,clubs are always looking at released academy failures and some gems can be picked up as we have done recently.
w e ha done very well bringing players through and is paying it's way,there is always flat periods where it seems it is a waste of money but I'm sure McCabe would have disbanded it if it wasn't worth keeping.
Historically we have always brought players through ,go through the years and there's lots of them,the % is very low right across the acadamies of all clubs.
1 % to 2 % at best..
Club policy has changed under Wilder we push young players through out of there comfort zone ,it's tough when a player 16,17,18 s of age is thrown in against lads who are 2and even 3 years there senior( it's sink or swim ).Any that come through will certainly have character to go with there ability.
Two or three have gone on free transfers recently but with plenty of clauses written into there new contracts with there new clubs.
Reading between the lines here ! as these lads reach 20-21 there first professional contract is up for renewal as they have not progressed to the first team a decision to give them another contract has to be made.We are running a tight ship budget wise and I assume releasing them this way gives us a 2nd chance to pick them up if they come through.Kean Bryan (from Man city ) is a classic example of a young player not quite showing enough to be kept on when there contract is running down.
Ironically Billy Sharp and Clive Mendonca are two acadamy stars we let go cheaply when they didn't cut it at first team level, we brought them both back and it still didn't pay as we lost money on both players,think we payed two million for Billy and got half a million when he was sold on again.
Bassett brought Mendonca back from Rotherham and released him to Charlton one of the rare mistakes by Bassett, don't really need to say anything about Billy his record speaks for itself.

Would be a very short sighted policy to do as you say ,clubs are always looking at released academy failures and some gems can be picked up as we have done recently.
w e ha done very well bringing players through and is paying it's way,there is always flat periods where it seems it is a waste of money but I'm sure McCabe would have disbanded it if it wasn't worth keeping.
Historically we have always brought players through ,go through the years and there's lots of them,the % is very low right across the acadamies of all clubs.
1 % to 2 % at best..
Club policy has changed under Wilder we push young players through out of there comfort zone ,it's tough when a player 16,17,18 s of age is thrown in against lads who are 2and even 3 years there senior( it's sink or swim ).Any that come through will certainly have character to go with there ability.
Two or three have gone on free transfers recently but with plenty of clauses written into there new contracts with there new clubs.
Reading between the lines here ! as these lads reach 20-21 there first professional contract is up for renewal as they have not progressed to the first team a decision to give them another contract has to be made.We are running a tight ship budget wise and I assume releasing them this way gives us a 2nd chance to pick them up if they come through.Kean Bryan (from Man city ) is a classic example of a young player not quite showing enough to be kept on when there contract is running down.
Ironically Billy Sharp and Clive Mendonca are two acadamy stars we let go cheaply when they didn't cut it at first team level, we brought them both back and it still didn't pay as we lost money on both players,think we payed two million for Billy and got half a million when he was sold on again.
Bassett brought Mendonca back from Rotherham and released him to Charlton one of the rare mistakes by Bassett, don't really need to say anything about Billy his record speaks for itself.
The reason why I think it is now a waste of time for us to have from u9s to u15s is because in the last few years Category 1 Academies have been taking our best players due to the EPPP. We got £1M for Jacob Mellis but this will not happen again unless we are Category 1. Read the link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Player_Performance_Plan

The reason why I think it is now a waste of time for us to have from u9s to u15s is because in the last few years Category 1 Academies have been taking our best players due to the EPPP. We got £1M for Jacob Mellis but this will not happen again unless we are Category 1. Read the link below

It is a problem silent but we still do bring plenty through,they don't cherry pick them all we have real talent coming through don't read too much into that defeat by the pigs Tuesday night.With promotion to the premiership it would be even more important as we could move up to academy 1.
In my previous post I did say McCabe would have dismantled it when we were stranded in the 1st Division so obviously it is worth keeping ,it also is good for the profile of the club both local and nationwide.I certainly enjoyed the run to the final a few years ago.

It is a problem silent but we still do bring plenty through,they don't cherry pick them all we have real talent coming through don't read too much into that defeat by the pigs Tuesday night.With promotion to the premiership it would be even more important as we could move up to academy 1.
In my previous post I did say McCabe would have dismantled it when we were stranded in the 1st Division so obviously it is worth keeping ,it also is good for the profile of the club both local and nationwide.I certainly enjoyed the run to the final a few years ago.
Huddersfield got promoted to the PL but downgraded their Academy from 2 to 4

Huddersfield got promoted to the PL but downgraded their Academy from 2 to 4
That's true !we don't after follow suit.All premiership teams have academy,s ,Huddersfield were always going to fall away.one or two other teams have done so also,I think it's a lack of ambition to do this and ours is a financial success anyway.

We didn’t get £1m for Mellis. It was £400k rising to £1m if he got into the first team. Which he didn’t.

Just to pick up on the comments about Coutts' performance, I've said it before that I feel he's player that plays well as part of a team that plays well, sort of the provider of the oil for the machine. He's not a player who drags the teams performance up. Although I accept he still hasn't got his previous pace and acceleration back.

I can't guarantee all of these - but last night - "my understanding"

Keenan Ferguson - United's Second Chance Saloon Futures Programme
George Broadbent - ex Manchester United Academy
Reece York - ex Fulham Academy
Harry Sheppeard - Tadcaster
Oliver Greaves - ?just SUFC?
Harry Boyes - ex Manchester City Academy
Marcus Dewhurst - Just SUFC
Jake Bennett - Mickleover Sports
Jean Belehouan - ex Manchester United Academy
Harrison Neal - ?just SUFC?
Simeon Oure - scouted from France

I'm trying to develop my thinking - but it's currently

1. Local lad, in the Academy from a very young age (eg Neal)
2. Brought in as a youngster having been at another Academy (eg Boyes)
3. Scouted from abroad (inc Ireland) & brought in as a youngster (eg Oure & Jordan Doherty)
4. Brought in from non-league junior football (eg Sheppeard)

Fixed that for you ;)

Fixed that for you ;)
Hi 1889 mate. I admire your dedication, going back to a thread from February 2019. What's going on though? You've apparently "fixed" my point that Marcus Dewhurst was in Hull City's system before he went to Shirecliffe - which he was. So, I'm not sure what you've fixed. But, anyway, good long term fixing.

Back
Top Bottom