Tue 19 Feb 7pm U23s

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ball_Sup (Phil)

Reaction score
I'm starting this U23 game thread a few days earlier than usual as it's a game a few more people might want to/ be able to get to.
On Tuesday 19 Feb at 7pm, it's our U23s v Sheffield Wednesday at Bramall Lane. Remembering, I'm just a supporter, not a mouthpiece for the club. The normal set up for such a game would be....
Season ticket holders in for free
Adults £3 Concessions £1 (or maybe £2)
Only the South Stand open. Entry via the ramp off Cherry St (towards the Shoreham Street end)

This is an U23 Professional Development League game. There are 10 Category 2 Academy teams in the North Group. There is no promotion & relegation in the conventional sense. The top two in the North play off with the top two in the South to decide the overall winners. The North Group play a 28 game season. We are in 6th, played 21 for 29 points, 10 points adrift of the play offs. SWFC are 9th, 4 points behind us, but with two games in hand.

Utd currently field a very young U23 side. We have ten of our more experienced Academy youngsters out on loan. And, we moved Jordan Hallam, Harvey Gilmour & Callum Semple on in the last window.

Anyway, I thought I'd Heads Up, in case people can make plans to attend with a bit of notice.

This is your 24 Hour Bump if you're interested in SUFC U23 v SWFC at The Lane on Tuesday 19th at 7pm.....

Might pop down...you might even get a report you lucky people. As long as I get a coveted 'sheet' or I will have no idea who is playing...and you won't get a report.

I'm starting this U23 game thread a few days earlier than usual as it's a game a few more people might want to/ be able to get to.
On Tuesday 19 Feb at 7pm, it's our U23s v Sheffield Wednesday at Bramall Lane. Remembering, I'm just a supporter, not a mouthpiece for the club. The normal set up for such a game would be....
Season ticket holders in for free
Adults £3 Concessions £1 (or maybe £2)
Only the South Stand open. Entry via the ramp off Cherry St (towards the Shoreham Street end)

This is an U23 Professional Development League game. There are 10 Category 2 Academy teams in the North Group. There is no promotion & relegation in the conventional sense. The top two in the North play off with the top two in the South to decide the overall winners. The North Group play a 28 game season. We are in 6th, played 21 for 29 points, 10 points adrift of the play offs. SWFC are 9th, 4 points behind us, but with two games in hand.

Utd currently field a very young U23 side. We have ten of our more experienced Academy youngsters out on loan. And, we moved Jordan Hallam, Harvey Gilmour & Callum Semple on in the last window.

Anyway, I thought I'd Heads Up, in case people can make plans to attend with a bit of notice.

Do season ticket holders have to pick a ticket up or does the card work at the turnstiles?

Cheers

We're favorites on skybet 4/5 against pigs 23/10 .
So no problem then.

Paul Coutts is pencilled in to captain United's U23s in Tuesday's Sheffield derby at Bramall Lane, kick-off 7pm.

Simon Moore, Kean Bryan, Jake Wright and Conor Washington could also feature against the Owls in the Professional Development League, with the Blades chasing a fourth straight home victory in all competitions.

Admission is free for season ticket holders, otherwise it's £3 adults and £1 concessions.

Blades (from): Moore, Dewhurst, Bennett, Ferguson, Belehouan, Bryan, Neal, Broadbent, Wright, Oure, York, Sheppeard, Coutts, Washington, Greaves, Boyes.

Weds been the much better side and only team to create anything with one decent Moore save and a few other half chances. We have not had a shot and been a stroll for the big Weds CBs. Washington not in the game. Coutts seen a lot of the ball but all in our half. United look a bit clueless with Washington and Greaves starved of service. Greaves has done ok when given it to feet.

Not sure any of our kids have stood out though. The lads in Midfield Broadbent and York have been very poor with the ball and the wing backs Boyes and Sheppeard offering little and taking too long to do things. The lad Ferguson has been steadiest of lot at cb.

Wright made a few good tackles but got done for pace a bit on the goal. Moore looks shaky. Goal came from a poor Bryan clearance header when the loan lad Aarons ran through and hit it past Moore.

They do have 4 or 5 who may be around their first team squad with the three new lads, Pudil and Winnall. Other than Coutts and Moore none of our lot will be involved much till the end of the season.

Full report to come at FT

0-2. Jake Wright with a howler. Gave it straight to the centre forward who scored. Washington off injured- Oure on.

Is Mr.Bruce in the crowd tonight anyone know ?
Just curious to know how much interest he is taking.
Theres no cricket on TV or anything to distract him.

Weds been the much better side and only team to create anything with one decent Moore save and a few other half chances. We have not had a shot and been a stroll for the big Weds CBs. Washington not in the game. Coutts seen a lot of the ball but all in our half. United look a bit clueless with Washington and Greaves starved of service. Greaves has done ok when given it to feet.

Not sure any of our kids have stood out though. The lads in Midfield Broadbent and York have been very poor with the ball and the wing backs Boyes and Sheppeard offering little and taking too long to do things. The lad Ferguson has been steadiest of lot at cb.

Wright made a few good tackles but got done for pace a bit on the goal. Moore looks shaky. Goal came from a poor Bryan clearance header when the loan lad Aarons ran through and hit it past Moore.

They do have 4 or 5 who may be around their first team squad with the three new lads, Pudil and Winnall. Other than Coutts and Moore none of our lot will be involved much till the end of the season.

Full report to come at FT
Nah.... not having they have 5 first team players as an excuse.

We have Moore, Coutts, Bryan, Wright and Washington in...... both goals down to first teamer mistakes.

It has been an issue for the last few years that first team players come in to the 23s and to be totally honest, have not really tried to put a shift in.

FT 0-2. Weds miles better side. Their experienced players were better and sadly so we're their kids.

We only had one effort of note all game- a Bryan header tipped around the post.

Weds new trio looked decent but a couple of their kids Baker and Grant were good too. Iorfa the centre back is a giant and along with Pudil it was men v boys especially when Washington went off.

The lad Aarons scored the first after a Bryan misplaced header and he ran through. Seemed to go through Moore. Then Wright gave it straight to Grant who cooly side stepped him to score. Lazaar hit the post with a 30 yarder and other than a few set plays United did not look like scoring. Weds knocked it about well and had better players sadly technically and physically. Even their kids dwarfed ours. Of course a few of our u23s are out on loan such as Mallon, Graham, Slater, Smith etc and we have moved some on but on this evidence and what I have seen of the u23s a few times not sure any of these stand out currently.

Quick player thoughts:

Moore - Looked shaky. Dropped a routine through ball. 1st goal went through him. No chance on the 2nd. Took too long to react to long range shots

Ferguson - Ok and one of the better kids for us. Defended ok and kept it simple. Quite quick and athletic. One bad giveaway

Bryan - Not convinced by him at all. Lacks composure and technically poor. His touch is not assured. At fault for the 1st. Did have a few block tackles and our best effort. Won't use his right foot at all. Nowhere near 1st team material for me.

Wright - Made a few of his tackles and interceptions but got done for pace on the 1st goal and wretched error on the 2nd. Too slow to move it on even at this level. Needs to move to a League 1/2 club this summer. Been a great servant but his days are up.

Sheppeard - He showed a few flashes on some runs but no end product. Played right wing back. Looked a bit weak.

Boyes - Left wing back. Not in the game at all and also did not help out defensively. Gave it away a lot.

Coutts- Saw a lot of the ball but all in our half. He showed he can pass but cannot carry the ball and looks very slow. With no movement in front off him he got really annoyed. Lost the ball a lot 2nd half as they pressed him. Hard to assess too much but you would think he would stand out at this level and he did not.

Last edited:
Quick player thoughts:

Moore - Looked shaky. Dropped a routine through ball. 1st goal went through him. No chance on the 2nd. Took too long to react to long range shots

Ferguson - Ok and one of the better kids for us. Defended ok and kept it simple. Quite quick and athletic. One bad giveaway

Bryan - Not convinced by him at all. Lacks composure and technically poor. His touch is not assured. At fault for the 1st. Did have a few block tackles and our best effort. Won't use his right foot at all. Nowhere near 1st team material for me.

Wright - Made a few of his tackles and interceptions but got done for pace on the 1st goal and wretched error on the 2nd. Too slow to move it on even at this level. Needs to move to a League 1/2 club this summer. Been a great servant but his days are up.

Sheppeard - He showed a few flashes on some runs but no end product. Played right wing back. Looked a bit weak.

Boyes - Left wing back. Not in the game at all and also did not help out defensively. Gave it away a lot.

Coutts- Saw a lot of the ball but all in our half. He showed he can pass but cannot carry the ball and looks very slow. With no movement in front off him he got really annoyed. Lost the ball a lot 2nd half as they pressed him. Hard to assess too much but you would think he would stand out at this level and he did not.
Is it fair to describe SUFC Academyblockers?

Moore is a worry, really gone down hill for me, just doesn't seem to give a monkeys, not alert, capable of making the mundane look spectacular which can disguise the fact he doesn't really make the difficult saves, and misses a few easy ones.

Is Mr.Bruce in the crowd tonight anyone know ?
Just curious to know how much interest he is taking.
Theres no cricket on TV or anything to distract him.

He was there as was Agnew, Weaver and all the SWFC coaching staff. No sign of Wilder. At Loftus Rd?

Back
Top Bottom