Tue 19 Feb 7pm U23s

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Weds been the much better side and only team to create anything with one decent Moore save and a few other half chances. We have not had a shot and been a stroll for the big Weds CBs. Washington not in the game. Coutts seen a lot of the ball but all in our half. United look a bit clueless with Washington and Greaves starved of service. Greaves has done ok when given it to feet.

Not sure any of our kids have stood out though. The lads in Midfield Broadbent and York have been very poor with the ball and the wing backs Boyes and Sheppeard offering little and taking too long to do things. The lad Ferguson has been steadiest of lot at cb.

Wright made a few good tackles but got done for pace a bit on the goal. Moore looks shaky. Goal came from a poor Bryan clearance header when the loan lad Aarons ran through and hit it past Moore.

They do have 4 or 5 who may be around their first team squad with the three new lads, Pudil and Winnall. Other than Coutts and Moore none of our lot will be involved much till the end of the season.

Full report to come at FT

Deadbat

Reaction score
0-2. Jake Wright with a howler. Gave it straight to the centre forward who scored. Washington off injured- Oure on.

GV Blade

Reaction score
Is Mr.Bruce in the crowd tonight anyone know ?
Just curious to know how much interest he is taking.
Theres no cricket on TV or anything to distract him.

Redhead

Reaction score
Weds been the much better side and only team to create anything with one decent Moore save and a few other half chances. We have not had a shot and been a stroll for the big Weds CBs. Washington not in the game. Coutts seen a lot of the ball but all in our half. United look a bit clueless with Washington and Greaves starved of service. Greaves has done ok when given it to feet.

Not sure any of our kids have stood out though. The lads in Midfield Broadbent and York have been very poor with the ball and the wing backs Boyes and Sheppeard offering little and taking too long to do things. The lad Ferguson has been steadiest of lot at cb.

Wright made a few good tackles but got done for pace a bit on the goal. Moore looks shaky. Goal came from a poor Bryan clearance header when the loan lad Aarons ran through and hit it past Moore.

They do have 4 or 5 who may be around their first team squad with the three new lads, Pudil and Winnall. Other than Coutts and Moore none of our lot will be involved much till the end of the season.

Full report to come at FT
Nah.... not having they have 5 first team players as an excuse.

We have Moore, Coutts, Bryan, Wright and Washington in...... both goals down to first teamer mistakes.

It has been an issue for the last few years that first team players come in to the 23s and to be totally honest, have not really tried to put a shift in.

Deadbat

Reaction score
FT 0-2. Weds miles better side. Their experienced players were better and sadly so we're their kids.

We only had one effort of note all game- a Bryan header tipped around the post.

Weds new trio looked decent but a couple of their kids Baker and Grant were good too. Iorfa the centre back is a giant and along with Pudil it was men v boys especially when Washington went off.

The lad Aarons scored the first after a Bryan misplaced header and he ran through. Seemed to go through Moore. Then Wright gave it straight to Grant who cooly side stepped him to score. Lazaar hit the post with a 30 yarder and other than a few set plays United did not look like scoring. Weds knocked it about well and had better players sadly technically and physically. Even their kids dwarfed ours. Of course a few of our u23s are out on loan such as Mallon, Graham, Slater, Smith etc and we have moved some on but on this evidence and what I have seen of the u23s a few times not sure any of these stand out currently.

Deadbat

Reaction score
Quick player thoughts:

Moore - Looked shaky. Dropped a routine through ball. 1st goal went through him. No chance on the 2nd. Took too long to react to long range shots

Ferguson - Ok and one of the better kids for us. Defended ok and kept it simple. Quite quick and athletic. One bad giveaway

Bryan - Not convinced by him at all. Lacks composure and technically poor. His touch is not assured. At fault for the 1st. Did have a few block tackles and our best effort. Won't use his right foot at all. Nowhere near 1st team material for me.

Wright - Made a few of his tackles and interceptions but got done for pace on the 1st goal and wretched error on the 2nd. Too slow to move it on even at this level. Needs to move to a League 1/2 club this summer. Been a great servant but his days are up.

Sheppeard - He showed a few flashes on some runs but no end product. Played right wing back. Looked a bit weak.

Boyes - Left wing back. Not in the game at all and also did not help out defensively. Gave it away a lot.

Coutts- Saw a lot of the ball but all in our half. He showed he can pass but cannot carry the ball and looks very slow. With no movement in front off him he got really annoyed. Lost the ball a lot 2nd half as they pressed him. Hard to assess too much but you would think he would stand out at this level and he did not.

Last edited:

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Quick player thoughts:

Moore - Looked shaky. Dropped a routine through ball. 1st goal went through him. No chance on the 2nd. Took too long to react to long range shots

Ferguson - Ok and one of the better kids for us. Defended ok and kept it simple. Quite quick and athletic. One bad giveaway

Bryan - Not convinced by him at all. Lacks composure and technically poor. His touch is not assured. At fault for the 1st. Did have a few block tackles and our best effort. Won't use his right foot at all. Nowhere near 1st team material for me.

Wright - Made a few of his tackles and interceptions but got done for pace on the 1st goal and wretched error on the 2nd. Too slow to move it on even at this level. Needs to move to a League 1/2 club this summer. Been a great servant but his days are up.

Sheppeard - He showed a few flashes on some runs but no end product. Played right wing back. Looked a bit weak.

Boyes - Left wing back. Not in the game at all and also did not help out defensively. Gave it away a lot.

Coutts- Saw a lot of the ball but all in our half. He showed he can pass but cannot carry the ball and looks very slow. With no movement in front off him he got really annoyed. Lost the ball a lot 2nd half as they pressed him. Hard to assess too much but you would think he would stand out at this level and he did not.
Is it fair to describe SUFC Academyblockers?

bromtom

Reaction score
Moore is a worry, really gone down hill for me, just doesn't seem to give a monkeys, not alert, capable of making the mundane look spectacular which can disguise the fact he doesn't really make the difficult saves, and misses a few easy ones.

Deadbat

Reaction score
Is Mr.Bruce in the crowd tonight anyone know ?
Just curious to know how much interest he is taking.
Theres no cricket on TV or anything to distract him.
He was there as was Agnew, Weaver and all the SWFC coaching staff. No sign of Wilder. At Loftus Rd?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Is it fair to describe SUFC Academyblockers?
Not getting into that argument. Just calling the game and what I have seen of this bunch. With Hallam, Semple, Gilmour gone and others on loan..the likes of Ferguson, York, Sheppeard, Broadbent, Greaves are the next lot up. They are miles away on the evidence I have seen. No-one of the current crop are close to even being ready for League 2 let alone Championship but most are 18/19 and very inexperienced.

Ricky

-
Reaction score
A thoroughly boring night. We came nowhere near troubling them all game.

It was like men against boys with Coutts stepping in to try and give the boys a chance. He was OK but it was an impossibly frustrating game for him because he had absolutely nothing to play with.

Moore again doing a good job of showing he isn't good enough. Bryan was better than against Barnet but is a long way from being first team standard and will be binned off in the summer. We might have had a few pros playing but that included these two, an isolated Washington and an unfit Wright. I don't think any of them apart from Coutts will be involved again this season whereas at least 3 or 4 of Wednesday's will be for them.

Deadbat

Reaction score
Not sure why my other player thoughts went?

Anyway...

York - Poor. Sloppy with it and never really showed much as the game passed him by. Often hid behind his man. We had no midfield at all in front of Coutts and no link to midfield and attack.

Broadbent - As above. Biggish lad but quite slow and not that athletic. He did not keep it or win tackles.

Washington- Got a knock early and never really recovered. Had no service at all and then limped off early in the 2nd half.

Greaves - No service. He showed a few touches but again at three giants he never had a kick most of the game with no decent balls to his feet or crosses.

Subs

Oure - He was literally a boy against men. Ran around but achieved nothing and when he did touch it the ball did not stick.

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Not getting into that argument. Just calling the game and what I have seen of this bunch. With Hallam, Semple, Gilmour gone and others on loan..the likes of Ferguson, York, Sheppeard, Broadbent, Greaves are the next lot up. They are miles away on the evidence I have seen. No-one of the current crop are close to even being ready for League 2 let alone Championship but most are 18/19 and very inexperienced.
I think since our Academy had been downgraded, it will be more difficult to find the next potential first teamer

Ecco1889

Reaction score
Reminded me of Barnet fa cup match,no fluidity or urgency,no change of pace
Very disappointing performance,Wednesday deserved it tbh

Deadbat

Reaction score
A thoroughly boring night. We came nowhere near troubling them all game.

It was like men against boys with Coutts stepping in to try and give the boys a chance. He was OK but it was an impossibly frustrating game for him because he had absolutely nothing to play with.

Moore again doing a good job of showing he isn't good enough. Bryan was better than against Barnet but is a long way from being first team standard and will be binned off in the summer. We might have had a few pros playing but that included these two, an isolated Washington and an unfit Wright. I don't think any of them apart from Coutts will be involved again this season whereas at least 3 or 4 of Wednesday's will be for them.
I agree. Coutts was p****d off at lack of movement. I thought the two other lads in midfield were woeful and looked kids playjng in mens football and the two wing backs did not move much either.

Wright looked way off the pace as shown by his awful mistake.

I agree also in Moore. Two long range shots he took forever to get the ball in flight. One he flicked away unconvincing and another hit his post. He would worry me if he played.

Bryan is a long way from a Champ level player and not sure he ever will be. He lad is a football brain and is remarkably one footed and not even that quick. He gets stuck in but has no composure on.the ball. I worry when he the ball goes near him. Like Heneghan looks a punt that has not come off. Peopke may say he could improve but you dong suddenly acquire touch and where to run etc; thats normslly just 'there' or 'not.'

Disappointing night as no-one stood out and as you say outside Coutts (He does not convince me after Forest and Barnet) save for a major injury crisis I doubt I would want any of these playing for us in the near future

WalkelyFan

Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments here and would only add that Coutts was man marked by their number 10 and did not cope with it very well. Looked slow and lost the ball a time or two I had the feeling they were practising tactics for the Derby as well. Eg they changed to a 4-4-2 at the end of the game - with that giant centre half. . Aarons looked good too. Very much men v boys.

Cerberus Blade

Reaction score
Quick player thoughts:

I’ve said recently that Coutts looks slow since his injury. He’s a good technical player but he’s nowhere near ready for the first team. Pity. But that’s how it is.

Sounds like the others are nowhere near as well?

Let’s hope the wise man’s prediction that the Sheffield derby will end with the same score doesn’t come true!

finlaytheblade

Reaction score
Well some of you butchered that team ! Our team we made up of kids who are very young for a 23 team,some players trying to get some gametime
and some coming back from injury.Pigs had a team full of players trying to impress Bruce ( who was there ) some young players who are far more experienced than the kids we had out there.
Not making excuses but that result is not surprising with the two teams out there.
The days have gone when reserve or 23 players get really stuck in .Academy level is far more entertaining as the amount of local lads playing raises the bar
Which seems to be absent at the next level up due to players using it for game time only.
Pigs had a different mindset trying to impress Bruce.

Cheets

davetheblade
Reaction score
Harrison Neal, Kean Bryan, are we trying to build a squad of players with their names the wrong way round?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom